Australia / Aussie GLC Owners - Issues and Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by Teckno
Happy to try and help.
Firstly have you standard 250 series GLC, or the GLC 43 or 63 series ?
This will make a big difference as to your options.
I have the GLC 43. I have also sent an email to MB will also let you know their response.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Originally Posted by muffstar
I have the GLC 43. I have also sent an email to MB will also let you know their response.
At this stage I have not heard of any solution for the GLC 43 series.
That said, MB have assisted other drivers with Continental tyres, in 21” for front tyres only, that are marked “Star”, designed for BMW . This option seems to be the best solution to date. Owner in Adelaide has had good success, not cured, but much improved.
Running tyres around 36-38 psi will improve handling and economy, as well as braking, but may give a slightly harder ride.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Re claiming assistance for knuckle fix for your GLC.

For Australian and New Zealand owners.

A number of dealers will actually know nothing as regards the conversion. I do not think MBAu have sent out any Warning Bulletin.
my dealer had not done one until we fronted and they sent off a report to Mulgrave, who approved work 2 hours later.

My recommendation is to go to Mulgrave HQ site and go to the Contact Us portal.

Fill out your personal details and state which dealer you want them to contact. Ask for inspection and supply of parts for free conversion. No need to quote part numbers.

Keep it simple – ask for the knuckle replacement fix.

They should contact you and say they have sent your email to the relevant Division, in HQ, who will contact you within 48 hours.

If nothing heard 3 days later use email address they used to send back a ‘what’s the delay’ email – that should get a response.

Concurrently I would contact your dealer and book the car in for inspection a week after you send your email – that way you can let Mulgrave know when it is booked in when they contact you, this will help fast track – hopefully they have enough spares in the system.

Hope this helps readers who want their cars fixed.

At this stage I do not believe there is a fix for GLC350d, GLC43 or GLC63 variants.

That said, if you own one, I would still contact Mulgrave to ‘register’ your concerns and request you be listed for assistance when a mechanical solution is identified and provided to owners, even if car out of 3 year warranty – other warranty conditions may ‘kick in’ as per ACCC rules, based on cost of car and reasonable ‘expectations’ – given precedent of GLC fix to date.

Good luck.

Last edited by Teckno; 06-23-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Address
Old 06-24-2019, 06:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MB GLC250
After I raised the issue of tyre wear, understeer and crabbing on the front end to the "contact us" on the Australia MB website:
The intention here was to get MB Australia to authorise the "knuckle" fix to be done by the dealer.

as posted in the whirlpool forums: https://whrl.pl/Rfn97a

Seems that there is some unintended fall out to this process. Appears that because you nominate a dealer on the input form, this triggers an immediate 'red flag' to go out to the dealer.
Got a flurry of phone calls from the dealer. They do not get the content of the form sent to MB, so had to re-explain what I was doing and why. Appears that they are rather sensitive to 'negative' feedback to MB HQ.

To their credit ...the final out come was ..a verbal advice that they will arrange the parts and let me know when to drop the GLC in for the work to be done.
...so the wheels are turning...….

From a process point of view, I can see what MB are doing to minimize the impact, however, from a customer view, it appears that the dealer is very limited in its ability to be an advocate for the customer.

Last edited by Citizen613; 07-03-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow.

At least the ball is rolling and hopefully soon you will have the knuckle fix.

On a different issue, yes tyres !
interesting article from UK re replacing all 4 tyres, at the same time.

============

We had the front tyres on our Sportage replaced and Kia says this has broken the four-wheel drive system?
We had the front tyres only replaced by a local tyre company on our Kia Sportage. Kia says the difference in tread between front and back has broken the four-wheel drive system and will cost Ł2k to repair. They say they see 10 cars a week with this issue. I can’t see anything in the car manual about it. How can they get away with not putting it in the manual? Shouldn’t tyre companies know and warn customers? I’m staggered.
Asked on 12 April 2019 by Mike Sargent

Answered by Honest John

This warning is something I repeat to readers at least twice a day. The basic rule for an automatically engaged 4WD system is that all tyres must be the same make and type and must not differ in tread depth by more than 3mm. On a Sportage where front and rear tyres are the same, this can be evened out by swapping the tyres front to back every 10,000 miles.
Tags: wheels and tyres 4wd tyres replacing tyres

=========================

Good info to save transmission.

Not sure what happens with tyres that are ‘staggered’ with wider tyres at rear ? But same diameter.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC 250d AMG pack
HI All,
I also send an email to Benz in Victoria and responded already today , In regards to Citizens 613 they forwarded my concern to my dealership ( service manager) and will be in contact soon not the dealer I nominated which is close by to me . Any tips?
Thanks
Old 06-25-2019, 06:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You should have an email address now with a persons name.
Suggest you call general number and ask to be put through to the name in your email.
Ack your appreciation for action and explain your personal needs to have local dealer perform work, as long as they have tech experience and up to date wheel align equip - the wheel align equip is important and may dictate where you can go ?
Good luck, sounds promising.

Wheel align they use now is “Hunter” from memory, digital, laser set up ? Supposed to be easier to use and give more accurate results, allows personalised print out of before and after settings for you to keep (ask for it when you arrive to deliver car).

Last edited by Teckno; 06-25-2019 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Wheel align
Old 06-25-2019, 07:18 AM

GLC 250d AMG pack
Thanks Techno will do tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Found this on line post and link.
Fisher writes...

the tyre skipping is less frequent or less annoying when the car was brand new, very likely the tyre was new. As the tyre starts to running down, it gradually becomes more unpleasant noticeable

Hmm is it about this petition?
https://www.change.org/p/mercedes-be...des-benz-c-glc
Old 07-06-2019, 08:33 PM

MB GLC250
Copy of my post on the Aus Whirpool forum.

https://whrl.pl/RfoAyb

Knuckle replacement completed.

First impressions:
Any evidence of wheel crabbing/scrubbing ….gone.
Understeer at near full lock turn on wet surface (small round-a-bout) …..Gone.

Tyre wear? ...give me 10,000 km, though not sure I have 10K left in the Bridgestones.
Generally feels a bit better in corners, slight increase in centering force of steering. (this had decreased after wheel alignment done prior to knuckle change) ..Handling feel in corners, subtle, but feels better.

Any GLC owner ...just do it!!

Last edited by Citizen613; 07-06-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:18 AM

GLC43
MB Australia finally got back to me saying the Tyre Skipping ( this is the term he used) is not a problem and it happens to a lot of other brands of cars. Suggested a 38 PSI should help the problem (even though they say there is no problem). My front tyres are shot and I will need to buy some new ones as they are now unsafe. I mentioned that people are saying Knuckle replacements have been approved in some instances and he asked where did I hear that. So I mentioned the MB Forums and he said don't believe what you read.

So I will now take this up with the ACCC and see if they can pressure MBA.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by muffstar
MB Australia finally got back to me saying the Tyre Skipping ( this is the term he used) is not a problem and it happens to a lot of other brands of cars. Suggested a 38 PSI should help the problem (even though they say there is no problem). My front tyres are shot and I will need to buy some new ones as they are now unsafe. I mentioned that people are saying Knuckle replacements have been approved in some instances and he asked where did I hear that. So I mentioned the MB Forums and he said don't believe what you read.

So I will now take this up with the ACCC and see if they can pressure MBA.
I Understand your frustration. So far no fix for the GLC43. Info from UK indicated there may be testing of a revised knuckle, but its in Beta format.
Certainly register your concerns and keep monitoring. Uk are usually 9-12 months ahead with solutions for RHD GLC variants.
It’s such a pity the GLC350d, 43 and 63 series are yet to be approved by German engineers for the manuf and issue of a new mechanical solution.
Keep the faith, I’m hopeful a fix is close at hand.
Good luck.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:23 PM

GLC 250d AMG pack
Citizen 613,
Where did you bought your Merc. I'm also dealing with my dealership (service Dept at the moment at Monavale). Sounds they don't have the knowledge of the knuckle replacement or trying to get away with it.
Thanks
Old 07-09-2019, 02:52 AM

MB GLC250
Lodge a note to the 'Contact Us' on the MB Australia site. Mention the issue you are having with the tyre scrubbing crabbing, tyre wear and that your dealer is not assisting you. This should ring a few bells.
Sadly it looks like the dealers are not able to 'inform' their customers. I don't understand ..but suspect this is a direct instruction from MB Australia, in order to control or limit their ,,er .um ..exposure!
Sadly , you have to be forceful. Take the parts list in to the dealership. Also helps if you have previously complained about the crabbing and it was noted in your service record.

EDIT:
Sorry Ceasar_m, did not read earlier post, that said you have already engaged MB Australia....or was that someone else?? Cannot understand the push back you are getting.
There is no way they can claim ignorance of this 'knuckle fix"

Last edited by Citizen613; 07-09-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:27 AM

GLC 250d AMG pack
Thanks Citizen613,

My car at the service Dept atm, they are very helpful ,we drove the car around the block but we didn't get the continious crabbing. Maybe because of the temperature .I still have the crabbing issue but not what I got when reversing out of my driveway .So they ask me to leave my car for further inspection.I showed them the pictures and part numbers. They going to look at it if its genuine as they said. Meanwhile I got a loan car also a GLC I used it today and exactly same as mine doing the crabbing as well. I also mentioned that that an owner from Central Coast ( you) had his car fixed just to proved that some dealers are aware of the issue.

Hopefully I get my car by tomorrow with answer/s.

Cheers

Old 07-11-2019, 03:19 AM

GLC43
Sadly, I have found the dealer in Port Macquarie where we bought the car to be lacking in care. MBA also seem to lack care or ownership too. So, I now have 2 brand new Continental Tyres installed yesterday, the tyre dealer said to have the tyre pressure at 40psi all round. I have done this and can notice a difference and very little crabbing, so at this stage this work around is the solution to my problem.

I hope that MB do come up with a resolution to this problem sooner rather than later.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:38 AM

MB GLC250
Hi muffstar,

Sad to hear your experience with the dealer. I suspect, a 'head office' directed tactic, they are trying to keep 'mum about it', as method of dealing with this issue …….until something permanent comes down the line.
Hopefully the AMG arm are testing/certifying a fix for the '43 & '63 models. There are some rumours circulating out of the UK suggesting this.

Sadly, changing tyres and over-inflating them will only tend to mask the issue. I suspect 40psi will lead to high wear rates down the centre of each tyre. ..or at least minimise outside edge wear.

Keep lodging a complaint with them and make sure it is documented on the vehicle's service record. This will, all assist when the dealer makes a warranty claim back up to MB Australia.
Be firm, but patient.
The fact that the 200/250 models have a fix is encouraging.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:39 AM

GLC 250d AMG pack
Hi All,
There's light on the other side of the tunnel ,Good news to me , I got a phone call from Service Dept. and acknowledged the problem and the parts are on the way . By Monday my car will be fix. Hoooray!!!!
Old 07-12-2019, 02:01 AM

GLC43
Originally Posted by ceasar m
Hi All,
There's light on the other side of the tunnel ,Good news to me , I got a phone call from Service Dept. and acknowledged the problem and the parts are on the way . By Monday my car will be fix. Hoooray!!!!
Great news I hope they won't take too long for the C43 fixes to come out. Is the fix changing the knuckles ?
Old 07-12-2019, 03:06 AM

MB GLC250
Hi All,

Good to hear ceasar_m. Sad that this needs to be pushed by the customer and not MB. ...but lets give them the benefit of the doubt. After the first few knuckle changes in Australia ….the dealers can not claim 'no knowledge'.

So far, after about 400kms on my new 'Knuckles' ...all good. high lock turns are crab free, no understeer on wet surface in high lock turn. Feels more 'solid' in general in turns.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:50 AM

GLC 250d AMG pack
Thanks Citizen613,
I bit of a push but its worth it, I believed they didn't know anything about it because when he called me ,he said that "this the first they going to do replacing knuckles " .Hopefully my car be back to me on Monday with crabbing free driving .
Cheers everyone ...
Old 07-13-2019, 05:11 AM

GLC 250d AMG pack
Muffstar ,
Yes its a knuckles change. I will report the outcome once I get my car on Monday.
Cheers
Old 07-16-2019, 07:30 AM

GLC 250d AMG pack
Got my car back today ,very happy with the result, no more crabbing issue, very good handling in curves , nice to drive overall, if you have that crabbing issue . talk to your dealer Service Dept. , if you don't ask you will never get it. Another one happy GLC owner.
Cheers
Old 07-16-2019, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Got my car back today ,very happy with the result, no more crabbing issue, very good handling in curves , nice to drive overall, if you have that crabbing issue . talk to your dealer Service Dept. , if you don't ask you will never get it. Another one happy GLC owner.
Cheers
Fantastic news - it took a while, but all the research and support that owners have given each other, especially our ‘cousins’ from UK have allowed us to achieve this.
A lot of owners still do not know and from my straw research dealers appear ignorant and reluctant to pressure a solution.
I think they have convinced themselves of the constant message that this ‘characteristic’ is normal !!!
If you see another GLC on the road and the opportunity arises, tell the owner of the fix. Some will flick you off as they are ambivalent and its not their own long term car.
Others will be very grateful and pressure a fix, based on the new info.
Hopefully a fix will be found for GLC43, 63 and 350D.
I understand testing / evaluation is occurring in UK for these 3 x models with new knuckles - hopefully it will work and the trickle down to Oz might be 9 months time, maybe early 2020 ?

Anyway, enjoy your new ride - its like owning a new car, all over again.
The following users liked this post:
ceasar m (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 10:08 PM

GLC 250d AMG pack
Thanks very much to ALL in this forum and to our comrades in the UK and Europe and the other forum (GLC Forum.com) and others ,this is not possible without them and all of us here . If you have this problem , please don't hesitate to talk the Service Dept. your dealer , need a bit of courage to talk , make sure to bring all copies to support your claims (photocopies ,photos etc.) Good Luck .
Cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.