MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC Class (X253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253-203/)
-   -   Do you use the parking break? Is it redundant? (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/654277-do-you-use-parking-break-redundant.html)

rihallix 02-24-2017 05:07 PM

Do you use the parking break? Is it redundant?

Still awaiting my GLC43, but using a C300 loaner.

CONFESSION
I only discovered the parking brake switch under the dash 2 days after driving the C300. I assume that the GLC has the same controls.

I had until that time assumed that there was no parking - Mercedes had effectively made it redundant:

- hill starts were taken care of automatically thanks to technology preventing roll back

- when parking one puts the car in park which locks the wheels via the gearbox

QUESTION
- Given the above, are there situations where you really still need to use the parking brake?

- is the parking brake automatically applied when you put the car into park? (I don't think it is) and does it add safety beyond the transmission being locked?

zhenyaf 02-24-2017 05:09 PM

I think the parking brake is automatically activated (since its electronic) on the GLC. From what I've been told, it allows the car to rest on the brakes when its off, not just on the tiny parking prawl

rihallix 02-24-2017 05:15 PM

Given the GLC automatically activates the parking brake - which I had hoped for and suspected - the question then arises - is the parking brake unnecessary on an automatic car (not stick shift)?

is the parking brake still provided because:

- some buyers would be alarmed by its absence

- government regulations

- handbrake turns / donuts (is this a valid reason?)

I feel like perhaps I'm missing some major reason for having parking brakes. It's ironic given the prominence of parking brakes in their use of the limited space within arm's reach of the driver. Better to free up that space, and safer to let the car take care of the parking brake automatically.

Philamg 02-24-2017 05:49 PM

Would have thought it is there for if you have the car running and in neutral it allows you to get out of the car.

chillysyrup 02-24-2017 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by rihallix (Post 7066321)
Given the GLC automatically activates the parking brake - which I had hoped for and suspected - the question then arises - is the parking brake unnecessary on an automatic car (not stick shift)?

The 'parking' brake still acts as an electronically activated mechanical emergency brake in the case of failure of the hydraulic brake system.

dejongj 02-24-2017 11:35 PM

Am I missing something? The GLC has a parking brake, it gets applied automatically, or manually, and released automatically or manually.

It seems this is being overthought a little.

I don't get the reference to automatic either; I mean are you suggesting manual cars don't need one because they can leave it in gear?

redrover22 02-25-2017 06:40 AM

Yes, a parking/emergency brake is still required.

On the GLC though, you can pretty much never have to operate it manually as switching off the car and opening the door automatically puts the car in park and operates the handbrake.

In an emergency (hydraulic brake failure) I would guess it would still be relevant to operate it manually but by that time we would have all forgotten where the switch is!

guido3 02-25-2017 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by dejongj (Post 7066654)
Am I missing something? The GLC has a parking brake, it gets applied automatically, or manually, and released automatically or manually.

It seems this is being overthought a little.

I don't get the reference to automatic either; I mean are you suggesting manual cars don't need one because they can leave it in gear?

Yes, seems to be overthought. Maybe we can simplify by answering the questions at the top of this thread:

QUESTION
- Given the above, are there situations where you really still need to use the parking brake?

Yes, always when getting out of car.

- is the parking brake automatically applied when you put the car into park? (I don't think it is) and does it add safety beyond the transmission being locked?

Yes, it is. And, yes, it does.

guhvies 02-25-2017 06:48 PM

On my C43 I come to a complete stop on the brakes, turn the engine off and open the door. The car then engages Park and the parking brake is automatically applied.