GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

My GLC experience so far

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 250d sport
Smile My GLC experience so far

Let me say that I love this car, in July of last year we tested the demonstrator and within a few days we also tested the Jaguar F pace, the GLC was a clear winner in our eyes, it felt smoother quieter and of better quality than the Jag and when we added up the figures the Jag was going to cost £4000 more for the same spec. and less power.
So we ordered the 250d sport 4matic premium plus in Canavasite Blue metallic with silk beige leather, black ash trim, air suspension, intelligent lights, driving assistance package and the off road package so the spec was pretty good only really missing the HUD and the air balance perfume dispenser.
Waited with great anticipation for the delivery in late August, the car was beautifully presented from under a black car cover and looked fantastic until I got inside and found that the car had been built with the fineline trim and not the black ash as ordered, I wanted to like the trim and took delivery of the car only to have serious misgivings that this was not the car I wanted and the light glossy wood did not go with the silk beige. I went back to the dealer saying that I was not happy by the mistake that had been made at the factory, I expected a battle but they could not have been more helpful saying they had ordered me a replacement car to my original spec and I was to be able to drive the current car until the new one was delivered.
2000 miles later In early January my new car was delivered with the correct trim and I was able to exchange the cars without too much paperwork, that same week we were driving down to the French Alps for a two week ski holiday. Taking a car with 9 miles on the clock on a 2000 mile round trip was a little daunting but the car did everything we expected of it.
During our stay we had to dig the car out of a snow bank which had built up around it as a result of some heavy and prolonged snow storms, in all of our previous 4x4 cars (Xtrail, CRV, XC60) it was relatively easy to get out of the snowy car parking area (all on summer tyres) but not this time! The wheels span and it did not look as though it would get out without a push, then I remembered that this had the offroad package, I turned on the slippery setting and the car eased out like it was on dry ground, this is where I question the fact that had I not specified the offroad package the 4matic would not have given me the same traction as my previous cars, perhaps anybody who has experienced the 4matic without offroad pack in the snow on summer tyres could tell me.
The trip home on the French toll roads was so easy especially with the Distronic plus cruise control and the steering assist and due to the fact that there was a pollution problem the speed limit was lowered and the car managed 47.3 miles per gallon at an average of 75mph.
Staying overnight in a small hotel with the temperature at -7C we set off in the morning and had to use a tight lock to get out of the car park and yes, you guessed it, the crabbing of the front wheels was extreme and this car is on 18” rims, so I can totally understand the bad feeling that has been caused by Mercedes claiming it was a characteristic of the car!
The reason for this post is to highlight the fact that Mercedes UK can be brilliant and the car is as good or better than I expected it to be, when they fix the crabbing problem I will have found my perfect ride.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Good report Sak, head back to your dealers and order a free set of all weather tyres.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC 220D Urban Edition
An interesting account. Thanks for sharing.

I've a 220D Sport on order with the off road pack and your experience being stuck in snow is illuminating. I've owned a couple of X-Trails in the past and always found their winter capabilities considerably constrained on Summer tyres. The GLC seems to fair better I'm glad to hear.

My GLC is due for delivery late March/early April so I'll be interested to hear if you do opt for the All Season tyres. Ive not received anything as yet from the local MB dealer about the crabbing issue or the proposed "solution". I'm wondering if I should opt for the summer tyres first or go All Season from Day 1.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Mountkeen, I collect my car tomorrow on summer tyres and have agreed with them that I will return in November for all weather tyres. Possible that new builds may come out of factory with all weathers fitted.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:29 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
The problem begins again when you actually want to take them up on the all season tyres or wheels/tyres. Simply because ahem they can't deliver them.

it is a bit too early to determine a pattern but I now know of 2 cases with all season tyres (both Pirelli Scorpion) and they crab/skip/jump just as much. I really hope this will fix it, but I believe it when I experience it.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by dejongj
The problem begins again when you actually want to take them up on the all season tyres or wheels/tyres. Simply because ahem they can't deliver them.

it is a bit too early to determine a pattern but I now know of 2 cases with all season tyres (both Pirelli Scorpion) and they crab/skip/jump just as much. I really hope this will fix it, but I believe it when I experience it.
And both cases run flats.
The following users liked this post:
dejongj (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 05:23 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Philamg
And both cases run flats.
Fair enough - didn't realise that. So it may be a non run flat all season tire that fixes this

My god, I really hope I never get a flat tire in this car...I can't imagine how difficult it will be to source tyre.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Agree JP, they have an issue which they are clutching at straws to fix, will be interested to find out from owners who have the issue if it is "cured" when they are changed to all season tyres (when available).

What's the latest with your car JP, any movement on GLE coupe?.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:37 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Philamg
Agree JP, they have an issue which they are clutching at straws to fix, will be interested to find out from owners who have the issue if it is "cured" when they are changed to all season tyres (when available).

What's the latest with your car JP, any movement on GLE coupe?.
We agreed to give it one more week for Mercedes UK to get their logistics sorted; but as they can't delivery winter tyres, can't deliver all season tyres, can't deliver 20" wheels/tyres, the inevitable is going to happen.

I can't afford to switch to the GLE Coupe, it looks like the cost to change would be around £21K and if I had this money, I wouldn't want to spend so much extra with Mercedes. So that option is off the table.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
That's a LOT of money JP, not good at all.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC43 AMG
Odd. No issues getting winter wheels in Poland. Maybe order them abroad or get after market ones.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:14 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by vikeor
Odd. No issues getting winter wheels in Poland. Maybe order them abroad or get after market ones.
I'm not spending nearly 23K Zloty on a new set of wheels/tyres with Mercedes in the UK of my own money to enjoy the car for which I've already spend a lot of money. That is nearly a 10% increase of my overall purchase price. The car should be fit for purpose all year round.