GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC 43AMG not in the AMG Forums?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
MB GLC43 AMG
GLC 43AMG not in the AMG Forums?

Anybody know why they don't have a GLC 43AMG section in the AMG area of the forum?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by Daniel BG
Anybody know why they don't have a GLC 43AMG section in the AMG area of the forum?
Because it's not a "real" AMG...
Old 03-02-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
I don't care if it's in AMG forum or not.
GLC43 is as real as the C43, and the C43 is in the AMG forum.
The following 3 users liked this post by ble2716:
Axel B (03-04-2017), koojo (03-02-2017), Shark (03-08-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:26 AM

MB GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by ble2716
+1
Old 03-02-2017, 09:30 AM

MB GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Maybe not a real AMG... but....

Old 03-02-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Maybe not a real AMG... but....

Yeah, that was tongue-in-cheek. Love the GLC43, "true AMG" or not, whatever that means.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
993, 996, NA miata, GLC
Someone pissed in your cheerios this morning?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:25 AM

Very very slow
Originally Posted by speed12sil
Someone pissed in your cheerios this morning?
i really don't know what you mean but I might pissed off a few "real" AMG purist with my previous comment.
Like I said, I don't care if the GLC43 is in AMG forum or not.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mercedes GLC43
Hell yes the GLC43 deserves a forum in the AMG section

Meanwhile back in the official AMG Private Lounge, a forum operated by AMG itself, upon my request AMG have added a forum for the GLC.

Isn't AMG Going Down Market a Good Thing?

First I must admit I have a dog in this fight, my GLC43 is arriving in the next week, it was just unloaded in Long Beach on Monday.

I respect die-hard 63 and 55 AMG owners putting up a fight here, allowing their elite circle to be expanded. I'd do the same. However, as we all know, the world constantly changes - and I think going downmarket (which is too strong a word) is the right thing for AMG/Mercedes to do. This is not like the VW Phaeton going upmarket - a move the instant I heard about it I knew was doomed to fail; you can more easily take a prestige brand downmarket than a utility brand upmarket. Lexus, Infiniti and Acura are multi-million dollar proof points.

Think of a future where:
- AMGs are as commonplace as Audi 'S' series (OK. I know the GLC43 will do 0-60mph half a second quicker and some may dislike this comparison)
-Mercedes should, in theory, win new market share
- CAFE gas consumption rules are forcing manufacturers to reduce fleet average fuel consumption. Sticking to just 4 liter V8s and above may not be sustainable

For my part I see this as a very astute move by Mercedes to embrace and elevate AMG. Kudos for this move.

As for a forum - hell yes the GLC43 merits it's own forum in the AMG area. The AMG Private Lounge has done it - the official AMG website - so surely this independently operated site should follow this official lead?
Old 03-02-2017, 02:16 PM

993, 996, NA miata, GLC
i really don't know what you mean but I might pissed off a few "real" AMG purist with my previous comment.
Like I said, I don't care if the GLC43 is in AMG forum or not.
Google is your friend(or enemy...)

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/piss_...#39;s_Cheerios

That and we all know Benz is slapping the AMG badge on what were originally mid tier models to charge/make more money. I myself am buying a GLC43 as well, but I know full well a bona fide AMG it is not, and not caring even if ppl point that out.. But whatever floats your boat

Last edited by speed12sil; 03-02-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Wait until you drive it speed, I haven't been out of comfort yet but wow!.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:29 PM

993, 996, NA miata, GLC
Originally Posted by rihallix
Meanwhile back in the official AMG Private Lounge, a forum operated by AMG itself, upon my request AMG have added a forum for the GLC.

Isn't AMG Going Down Market a Good Thing?

First I must admit I have a dog in this fight, my GLC43 is arriving in the next week, it was just unloaded in Long Beach on Monday.

I respect die-hard 63 and 55 AMG owners putting up a fight here, allowing their elite circle to be expanded. I'd do the same. However, as we all know, the world constantly changes - and I think going downmarket (which is too strong a word) is the right thing for AMG/Mercedes to do. This is not like the VW Phaeton going upmarket - a move the instant I heard about it I knew was doomed to fail; you can more easily take a prestige brand downmarket than a utility brand upmarket. Lexus, Infiniti and Acura are multi-million dollar proof points.

Think of a future where:
- AMGs are as commonplace as Audi 'S' series (OK. I know the GLC43 will do 0-60mph half a second quicker and some may dislike this comparison)
-Mercedes should, in theory, win new market share
- CAFE gas consumption rules are forcing manufacturers to reduce fleet average fuel consumption. Sticking to just 4 liter V8s and above may not be sustainable

For my part I see this as a very astute move by Mercedes to embrace and elevate AMG. Kudos for this move.

As for a forum - hell yes the GLC43 merits it's own forum in the AMG area. The AMG Private Lounge has done it - the official AMG website - so surely this independently operated site should follow this official lead?
I'm going to get a GLC43 as well but I know full well this car does not have all the bits that make the full AMG like the eventual GLC63. Without the bespoke bits it's just not a real AMG IMO. Having said that, I could care less if ppl think I'm a wannabe AMG owner because I bought it for the power/handling, not for the AMG badge. In fact I'd rather it didn't have the badge because then I won't have to explain to my car buddies that no I didn't buy this because I couldn't swing(I could but that's irrevelant) for the GLC63

CAFE requirement means zilch whether this is badged AMG or not; the requirement applies to MB in general. This is not the same as Audi S line because they don't call their mid-level "3.0T RS".

FWIW BMW is just as guilty as Benz for trying to make more money from the M badge, witness the X4 4.0iM(shudder..) and the 240iM (almost a M2 but not really!)
Old 03-02-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GLC43
Badges don't mean much - those who know what an AMG is will have their opinion. Those who don't know AMG, won't care. I'm getting a GLC43 too. I wanted the GLC300 but with some more power, but not a v8. If I was going for v8, I'd just keep what I have now - a 555hp X5M
Old 03-02-2017, 03:48 PM

Very very slow
Google is your friend(or enemy...)

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/piss_...#39;s_Cheerios

That and we all know Benz is slapping the AMG badge on what were originally mid tier models to charge/make more money. I myself am buying a GLC43 as well, but I know full well a bona fide AMG it is not, and not caring even if ppl point that out.. But whatever floats your boat
i don't know where you're coming from but I have never claim the GLC43 is a full bolt on AMG, even though MB sells it as an AMG.
AMG website even listed the GLC43 as an AMG.

I bought the GLC43 because I LIKE the overall of the car, not because it has an AMG badge.
You should go and complaint to people who owned C43
and GLE43 because they've already have an AMG sub forum.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:48 PM

993, 996, NA miata, GLC
i don't know where you're coming from but I have never claim the GLC43 is a full bolt on AMG, even though MB sells it as an AMG.
AMG website even listed the GLC43 as an AMG.

I bought the GLC43 because I LIKE the overall of the car, not because it has an AMG badge.
You should go and complaint to people who owned C43
and GLE43 because they've already have an AMG sub forum.
I am a Canadian too btw and uh you sound awfully wound up..so uh..maybe relax? And like I said I couldn't care less either way.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:05 PM

Very very slow
I am a Canadian too btw and uh you sound awfully wound up..so uh..maybe relax? And like I said I couldn't care less either way.
Glad to see another Canadian here but I think you just assume that I am "wound up" because you said the GLC43 is not a real AMG? Not at all.
I was trying to point out there is a forum already for the C43, I am sure those folks has been called out before.
In fact, I am keep telling my friends that GLC43 is an AMG-lite, and they didn't believe me.
Enjoy your car whenever you get it, AMG or not.
The following users liked this post:
rihallix (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mercedes GLC43
I'm going to get a GLC43 as well but I know full well this car does not have all the bits that make the full AMG like the eventual GLC63. Without the bespoke bits it's just not a real AMG IMO.

FWIW BMW is just as guilty as Benz for trying to make more money from the M badge, witness the X4 4.0iM(shudder..) and the 240iM (almost a M2 but not really!)
There's some substance to what you say, but:
- the car was still designed in Affalterbach, even if the engine wasn't hand made there
- it has AMG specific modifications
- it has an AMG badge on it put there by the manufacturer

This said - it's likely a religious discussion whether the GLC43 is a genuine AMG - we could go around in circles. Fact is it blows the doors off an SQ5.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
I have an E63 and purchased a GLC43, that is scheduled to be at the Baltimore port tomorrow. I looked at all the competitors and came back around to the GLC. Not necessarily due to brand loyalty (although there is some) or price (cause I spec'd it to over $70k) but because I personally really like the newer interior design language of the facelifted models. However, more than anything, I have an awesome relationship with the dealer, mostly on the service end. It makes things so much better. I don't have that type of relationship with Land Rover (wife's truck) or Chevy (my soon-to-be-retired daily driver Avalanche). I also don't really want to wait for the GLC63 and not sure I want to pay over $100k for a daily driver AMG. But that's just me.

The issue of it being considered an "AMG-lite" really doesn't matter to me, but that may be because I own the E63, too. However, I will probably de-badge the GLC, though. Not sure what that says about the issue of how I think these GLC43's are considered........ I understand the desire for exclusivity, but with all the AMG's out there now, and the manufacturer/dealers even badging some non-Amg's with the logo because they have AMG appearance packages, the exclusivity ship has already sailed. I think the biggest thing to take into account is that you know what AMG means enough to be proud of owning one, "AMG-lite" or full-blown. It's ultimately a desire for a higher performing luxury vehicle. The rest is semantics.

I do wonder, though, how many current AMG owners have also purchased an "AMG-lite"?

Last edited by Skizz; 03-03-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:21 AM

993, 996, NA miata, GLC
Originally Posted by rihallix
There's some substance to what you say, but:
- the car was still designed in Affalterbach, even if the engine wasn't hand made there
- it has AMG specific modifications
- it has an AMG badge on it put there by the manufacturer

This said - it's likely a religious discussion whether the GLC43 is a genuine AMG - we could go around in circles. Fact is it blows the doors off an SQ5.
I'll just state first that I'm not trying to argue for the sake of arguing...

TBH I didn't know it's designed in Affalterbach, that's a pleasant surprise. This is going to be my DD so I'm not pouring over the details like I am for my weekend cars...
2nd point I'll just agree to disagree
Again, the badge is there because Benz wants to milk more money from the brand. Nothing wrong with that, but since AMG is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Benz, they don't have a say in where their badge gets to be slapped on.

And FWIW someone mentioned(and I didn't know at the time) that the current gen SQ5 pulled off a 4.4 0-60 with winter tires, yet it was faster than when shod with summers, whereas the GLC43 gets there in 4.6 with summers. Slalom and skidpads advantage goes to GLC43, but then the new SQ5 just came out, so there's that too...
Old 03-03-2017, 12:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC43
I guess someone should let AMG know about this....They approved my registration in the Privrate Lounge....think that gives the GLC43 that stamp of approval in The Fatherland.
The following 2 users liked this post by Axel B:
dejongj (03-06-2017), Widman (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 04:03 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
I'm going to get a GLC43 as well but I know full well this car does not have all the bits that make the full AMG like the eventual GLC63. Without the bespoke bits it's just not a real AMG IMO. Having said that, I could care less if ppl think I'm a wannabe AMG owner because I bought it for the power/handling, not for the AMG badge. In fact I'd rather it didn't have the badge because then I won't have to explain to my car buddies that no I didn't buy this because I couldn't swing(I could but that's irrevelant) for the GLC63

CAFE requirement means zilch whether this is badged AMG or not; the requirement applies to MB in general. This is not the same as Audi S line because they don't call their mid-level "3.0T RS".

So which bits are missing? All I can see is that engine wasn't made by one man. Knowing many humans I actually regard that as a good thing
Old 03-05-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC43
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
As a glc43 owner, i will agree that the 43 cars are not real AMG cars. Real AMG cars have a hand built engine. It's the one thing that really makes them special and exclusive in a world of mass production everything. Regardless, I still love the GLC43 and it's great at it's intended job irrespective of it's AMG status.

Having said that, if the c43 is included on the amg forums than the glc should be as well.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:06 AM

MB GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjrsy
As a glc43 owner, i will agree that the 43 cars are not real AMG cars. Real AMG cars have a hand built engine. It's the one thing that really makes them special and exclusive in a world of mass production everything. Regardless, I still love the GLC43 and it's great at it's intended job irrespective of it's AMG status.

Having said that, if the c43 is included on the amg forums than the glc should be as well.
I thought a "real AMG" had to do with the manufacturer deciding whether it is or not... not what you thought, or I thought... or you would like.... or I would like....
The following 2 users liked this post by Daniel BG:
dejongj (03-06-2017), rexgold (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 07:16 AM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC43
I thought a "real AMG" had to do with the manufacturer deciding whether it is or not... not what you thought, or I thought... or you would like.... or I would like....
Actually that's incorrect. The customers dictate the market, not the manufacturer. I guess technically Mercedes could call every product they sell "AMG" if they wanted to, right? But then the AMG brand would essentially become worthless and eventually disappear.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:39 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjrsy
Actually that's incorrect. The customers dictate the market, not the manufacturer. I guess technically Mercedes could call every product they sell "AMG" if they wanted to, right? But then the AMG brand would essentially become worthless and eventually disappear.
You are missing the point. Even if that was to happen, it would still be an AMG The customers do not dictate the nomenclature.
The following users liked this post:
Shark (03-08-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.