GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Australian GLCs - why no Thermotronic or analog clock?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
W205 C300 (MY), X253 GLC43 (AU), W213 E400 4M (AU), S213 E220d All-Terrain (AU)
Australian GLCs - why no Thermotronic or analog clock?

Hi,

Title says it all.

I just ordered a GLC43 SUV in Melbourne (scheduled for a September delivery) and I ticked every option available for it.

However, I'm curious as to why isn't Thermotronic or the analog clock in the center console available in Australian GLCs? They aren't even available as an option and my sales advisor sent an email to Germany asking whether a custom build with these two could be ordered, but the answer was no.

Even my W205 C300 in Malaysia has both of these. Australian W205s also have the analog clock available as an option, but Thermotronic is only available in the C63S.

I'd appreciate any insights as to why two simple things aren't available.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by yjchua
Hi,

Title says it all.

I just ordered a GLC43 SUV in Melbourne (scheduled for a September delivery) and I ticked every option available for it.

However, I'm curious as to why isn't Thermotronic or the analog clock in the center console available in Australian GLCs? They aren't even available as an option and my sales advisor sent an email to Germany asking whether a custom build with these two could be ordered, but the answer was no.

Even my W205 C300 in Malaysia has both of these. Australian W205s also have the analog clock available as an option, but Thermotronic is only available in the C63S.

I'd appreciate any insights as to why two simple things aren't available.
Options are normally determined by the region specific office. Germany has nothing to do with that. I'd direct those questions to Australia HQ if it is that important to you.

For what it is worth, they are also not available in the UK market.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by dejongj
Options are normally determined by the region specific office. Germany has nothing to do with that. I'd direct those questions to Australia HQ if it is that important to you.

For what it is worth, they are also not available in the UK market.
Well that sucks...

My sales advisor basically told me the same thing, but he said that there shouldn't be any reason the factory couldn't spec it up with something that's available elsewhere but not in local variants.

Anyway he'll keep pushing for an answer and try to get me what I really need (so that the rear passengers won't be at the mercy of the front passenger's a/c settings). And the analog clock does add a nice classy touch to the cabin.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:29 AM

right to be forgotten
Good luck with that
Old 04-05-2017, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Thermotronic was available as an option in 2016 in the USA. I do not believe it is any more. The clock has never been an option for the GLC.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
when you say 'thermotronic', are you meaning tri-zone climate control? The GLC43 should have 'Thermatic' dual zone climate control, standard.

It would be nice to have the temp control for the rear passengers
Old 04-05-2017, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Dual zone standard on all GLCs in USA. Used to be able to special order tri zone. Never seen a clock in a GLC only in the C Class
Old 04-06-2017, 02:49 AM

SL500, GLC300
there has never been an analog clock on the GLC, anywhere. the 3-zone climate control was available on the 2016 GLC300 in Canada. cant say about other areas or 2017 models though.

the clock would never happen, but if you push for the 3-zone climate you might be able to get it.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:48 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by tiger_x
when you say 'thermotronic', are you meaning tri-zone climate control? The GLC43 should have 'Thermatic' dual zone climate control, standard.

Originally Posted by dieseldoc
Dual zone standard on all GLCs in USA. Used to be able to special order tri zone. Never seen a clock in a GLC only in the C Class
Dual Zone yes, but without Thermotronic on any GLC as far as I am aware...
Old 04-09-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
'16 GLC300
You can add the clock in afterwards if you like. Involves some $ though.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:50 PM

Yup, I mean 3-zone when I say Thermotronic, with separate fan/temperature controls in the rear. Malaysian GLC 250s have this as standard, so I'm very surprised that it's not even an option in Australia.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by dejongj
Dual Zone yes, but without Thermotronic on any GLC as far as I am aware...
3-zone Thermotronic is standard on Malaysian-spec GLC 250s (where I used to live).

Kinda sad that my C300 in Malaysia has it, but my GLC43 here in Australia won't.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:08 AM

GLC43
3-zone Thermotronic is standard on Malaysian-spec GLC 250s (where I used to live).

Kinda sad that my C300 in Malaysia has it, but my GLC43 here in Australia won't.
You think it would be a no-brainer to have this as standard equipment in Australia.. We seem to get every other option standard on the GLC43.. It's annoying !
Old 04-23-2017, 12:13 AM

You think it would be a no-brainer to have this as standard equipment in Australia.. We seem to get every other option standard on the GLC43.. It's annoying !
The only things that aren't standard in Aussie-spec GLC43s are Designo leather (so bloody pricey at $5881 inclusive of LCT and stamp duty in VIC), climatized front seats, digital TV tuner, Dinamica steering wheel and Air-balance.

I opted for the climatized front seats (because of summers), digital TV and Air-balance, but not the Dinamica steering wheel or Designo leather.

I just wish it had Thermotronic though, so that the rear passengers can adjust their climate zone without interfering with mine.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:08 AM

GLC43
The only things that aren't standard in Aussie-spec GLC43s are Designo leather (so bloody pricey at $5881 inclusive of LCT and stamp duty in VIC), climatized front seats, digital TV tuner, Dinamica steering wheel and Air-balance.

I opted for the climatized front seats (because of summers), digital TV and Air-balance, but not the Dinamica steering wheel or Designo leather.

I just wish it had Thermotronic though, so that the rear passengers can adjust their climate zone without interfering with mine.
I didnt know you could get the Designo leather for the GLC43.. Unfortunately i had an AMG salesman that was hopeless.. I probably would have gone the Designo if i knew it was available. It really does look special..

I too went Climatised seat - same reason, Summer here is bloody hot! I also went for the Carbon Fiber center trim with Aluminium door trims.

I agree with you comments on the thermotronic.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:13 AM

I didnt know you could get the Designo leather for the GLC43.. Unfortunately i had an AMG salesman that was hopeless.. I probably would have gone the Designo if i knew it was available. It really does look special..

I too went Climatised seat - same reason, Summer here is bloody hot! I also went for the Carbon Fiber center trim with Aluminium door trims.

I agree with you comments on the thermotronic.
The Designo thing is something new for June 2017 builds.

There was a model year update for June 2017 and the appropriate brochures have been updated on MB Australia's website. The GLC 350d is also a new variant that's available for Australia now.

I stuck back to using the open pore ash wood trim since that's what both my C-classes back in Malaysia have, and I like the feel of wood grains, but that's just my preference

My salesman at MB South Melbourne was pretty good and he took care of me well, but then it also helped that I already knew quite a fair bit (my family's been driving Mercedeses since forever), so I already knew what I wanted (not to my benefit though, when I became aware of the lack of Thermotronic).

Last edited by yjchua; 04-23-2017 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 04-23-2017, 09:23 AM

GLC43
The Designo thing is something new for June 2017 builds.

There was a model year update for June 2017 and the appropriate brochures have been updated on MB Australia's website. The GLC 350d is also a new variant that's available for Australia now.

I stuck back to using the open pore ash wood trim since that's what both my C-classes back in Malaysia have, and I like the feel of wood grains, but that's just my preference

My salesman at MB South Melbourne was pretty good and he took care of me well, but then it also helped that I already knew quite a fair bit (my family's been driving Mercedeses since forever), so I already knew what I wanted (not to my benefit though, when I became aware of the lack of Thermotronic).
Ahh, well that explains it then.. Maybe i should be too harsh on the dealer then.

TBH, i think all the trim combinations work really well in the GLC43. You're right though, it is all personal preference, and i guess in your case, what you are used to..

Not sure now if i would have gone the 350D if it were available when i placed my order.. That would have been a tricky decision.. Im sort of glad i didnt have a choice, or else i could have been forever making up my mind..
Old 04-23-2017, 09:27 AM

Ahh, well that explains it then.. Maybe i should be too harsh on the dealer then.

TBH, i think all the trim combinations work really well in the GLC43. You're right though, it is all personal preference, and i guess in your case, what you are used to..

Not sure now if i would have gone the 350D if it were available when i placed my order.. That would have been a tricky decision.. Im sort of glad i didnt have a choice, or else i could have been forever making up my mind..
Go easy on your dealer, all these updated equipment (Designo and 350d) only came out sometime earlier in April. If you ordered yours in March, Designo wasn't an option back then.

I wouldn't have gone for a 350d, diesel burns dirtier by nature and although it's more efficient, it pollutes more in terms of NOx.

In the end, I'm pretty happy with just about selecting every option available, except that I'm now wondering whether paying $1490 for the TV tuner was a worthwhile investment or not...
Old 04-23-2017, 10:24 AM

GLC43
Go easy on your dealer, all these updated equipment (Designo and 350d) only came out sometime earlier in April. If you ordered yours in March, Designo wasn't an option back then.

I wouldn't have gone for a 350d, diesel burns dirtier by nature and although it's more efficient, it pollutes more in terms of NOx.

In the end, I'm pretty happy with just about selecting every option available, except that I'm now wondering whether paying $1490 for the TV tuner was a worthwhile investment or not...
The diesel probably wouldnt have the same exhaust sound either . I love the sounds of the 43.

I think the tuner is an ok investment if you can get the aftermarket kit that allows you to use it whilst the car is moving. Good for the passengers on a long country trip.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:28 AM

The diesel probably wouldnt have the same exhaust sound either . I love the sounds of the 43.

I think the tuner is an ok investment if you can get the aftermarket kit that allows you to use it whilst the car is moving. Good for the passengers on a long country trip.
My only passenger would be my dog most of the time

That being said, I do intend to purchase Video in Motion (did that for the other Benzes back in the old sod so that I could watch TV while being stuck in traffic).

Would be nice to watch TV while being stuck on the Citylink, with Distronic Plus/Traffic Jam Assist driving the car.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
How to add clock to GLC

Originally Posted by B2FiNiTY
You can add the clock in afterwards if you like. Involves some $ though.
Please linform me the best way to do it. Can the whole module from C be swapped with the GLC module?