GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC spare tire options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC 250d
Originally Posted by bips
In attempting to be brief I was not entirely clear. What the NRMA actually said was that as long as the local motor vehicle registration authorities regarded the vehicle as registerable then they (non-RFT) were fine. I suspect you will give the same reply. We've discussed this here before, either in this thread or another. Here is a summary of my views.

The problem in this country is that it can be hard to get a written statement that a modification is legal, and it can be hard to get a statement that it is not legal. How does one react in this situation? People who are totally risk avoiding, and there are a few of them here, will say don't do it in such a situation.

My own view is a more pragmatic one. Some models of the GLC come fitted with non-RFT. I discussed the option of switching with my dealer when I bought the GLC and he said sure, but we suggest you wait until the first service to get some use out of the RFT, so the dealer certainly felt it was alright. Plenty of people have done it to a range of marques. There's nothing in the NRMA PDS, other than statements that modifications are covered, so long as the value insured includes them. I've had the conversation.

None of this is proof to someone totally risk-averse. I have made my enquiries and made own decision and am comfortable with it. I can see that you wouldn't be. Such it is.

p.s. One thing I was careful to do was to stick to manufacturer-specified tyre sizes, and not reduce the speed rating.
Bips, I am with you. If you follow the load ratings and speed ratings you are not modifying the vehicle and should be covered under insurance.

Whatever you do or whatever happens to your car it would need to be proven that was the non runflat tyre that caused the problem/accident.

AFAIK using any manufacturers tyres shouldn't be an issue but I suspect with all these "MO", "MOE" etc original manufacture tyres across all the marks they are trying to stitch up the market.

As we all know from experience, these "original manufacture" tyres are not necessarily great and the idea that they are specially tuned to the car is dubious at best.
The following users liked this post:
bips (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Can I offer some general observations and possible directions.
Firstly the issue of a spare or donut Tyre in a GLC is cut and dry. MB list with a part number a specific Tyre for use for the GLC.
Departure from that in fitting another brand, size, offset, bolts or even another donut from a different MB may give any insurance assessor enough wriggle room to exit and void your car policy. In the event of a major accident with police investigators, then there may be other changes laid as well.
So if one was to be totally risk adverse, then there are only two options, the approved donut from MB or another full size rim, same as what is on the car. In relation to 43 or 63 series with staggered rims, then you would need to have same rim size on same axle and not mix & match two sizes.

Second issue is RFT versus conventional tyres and for that matter winter tyres, summer tyres and all weather tyres. One needs to check hard copy owners manual and online manual as well as door stickers to confirm first.
MB have replaced at their approved Dealer my summer RFT with All Season RFT, both MOE.
MB have replaced the Coupes summer, conventional tyres with RFT, All Season, again MOE. The point is the manuf has taken the car and changed type of Tyre, summer to All Season, that perform differently, possibly a longer stopping distance; as well as changing on the other car, still under warranty from Summer Tyre to All season Tyre, as well as changing from conventional to RFT.

Finally as as long as you stick with actual listed Tyre size you are ok, however you cannot go under stated speed rating or load rating, unless written permission from Ins coy, MB will be unlikely to offer letter of support when you are under minimum ratings; going over to higher load or speed ratings is nor an issue as you safety margin has increased.

So I am nervous in fitting a donut from another MB model.
I am happy to swap between RFT, summer, All Season, and conventional tyres without jepody my cover or other road users.

Hope this helps with discussions.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GLC 250d, Mercedes B200
Originally Posted by Teckno
So I am nervous in fitting a donut from another MB model.
There is no need to fit a donut from another MB model unless you want to save by buying used. Mercedes supplies a dedicated spare wheel for the GLC in many markets and if your local dealer does not have a spare wheel available, he can order one from the manufacturer.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Yes I know.
One issue is that the approve spare is not the cheapest, however the real reason we have such a discussion on this site is that the approved spare does not fit under the boot tray lid. Other MB Tyers do fit from older models and there is the main issue.
The approved spare fits above the tray and needs a safety bag as extra so it can be secured in event of an accident.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
I don't understand why some folks insist in a spare for the GLC. The larger sidewalls on the GLC tire options are much more durable than the low pro rubber bands that come mounted on sportier cars. If you are that worried about a tire failure there are two easy options that don't require wasting cargo space with a donut that may or may not cause problems with the 4matic drivetrain.

1. Get a good compressor and a can of slime, fix a flat, etc. Add a tire plug kit if you are handy enough to make use of one. This option will cover you in nearly all flat tire scenarios. Almost all flats are caused by a small puncture and will not lead to a blowout unless driven at high speed while deflated. The TPMS is going to warn you when the pressure decreases.

2. Get all the items from option 1 above and also add a jack and lug wrench. This gives the option of more easily applying a plug to the tire. It can be difficult to get access to the puncture while the wheel is mounted so having the right tools will allow a competent user to remove and plug the tire properly. Probably overkill, but it will all fit neatly below the cargo lid.

Sidewall damage is very rare unless you're driving something on very low profile tires. Even the 21s on a GLC43 are not really low pro since they still have quite a bit of sidewall.

All flats that I've encountered in my lifetime except 2 were able to hold air after adding tire sealant only. The ones that were not repairable were: an intentional act of vandalism, and torn sidewall from an 48"x30"x8'' crater of a pothole on an expressway that my wife hit at 50mph while running low-pro tires 19s on our C450.
Rmlasalle (04-14-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLC 300 Coupe'
Bought a spare off of 2013 ML part no A1644000002 donut tire, jack and lug nuts. All fit neatly under my rear floor in my 2017 GLC Coupe. Peace of mind achieved. Now I can ditch these noisy run flats.
maxoujm (09-15-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by Mr. J
I don't understand why some folks insist in a spare for the GLC.
Good question. There are several reasons.

(i) Some people here are highly risk averse. That's just who they are. YMMV.

(ii) It depends on your history of flat tyres. In my case, I've been driving for over 45 years and have had very few. Then in the first year or so of owning the GLC I had a couple. One was indeed just a shallow nail that could have been driven with some regular re-inflation. I had it reparied. The advantage of these big tyres is that a rapid leak from a nail is less likely. But one flat involved such serious sidewall damage that the RFT wasn't driveable. This reflected a combination of back luck and poor judgement on my part, but it happened. I'd have been stranded outside mobile (cell) reception had I not had a spare. Around the same time my sister-in-law trashed a RFT in her X4 just from hitting a pothole around town and had to be towed. This combination made me more risk averse than I had been.

(iii) It depends on where you drive. In this big and sparsely settled country it's not that hard to be a very long way from help and outside mobile reception. There's no guarantee that your short-term solutions will always work well enough for long enough. Not everyone will be able to use a plug kit. Even if a small town is nearby, these tyre sizes are fairly exotic and it's going to be a long wait for a replacement. My sister-in-law, who must have had a run of bad luck, had a flat on a major highway only an hour or two from Sydney and had to stay overnight waiting for a tyre. There was a chap here who had to spend an unplanned weekend in some US town for the same reason. I'd rather not be stranded somewhere. A plug kit (which I also carry) or a goo kit (which I don't), well applied to the right sort of puncture might solve these problems, but not always.

A spare as insurance gives me the peace of mind and confidence to travel far from home and away from civilisation.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:14 PM

2017 GLC300, 2017 Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by Tank7
Bought a spare off of 2013 ML part no A1644000002 donut tire, jack and lug nuts. All fit neatly under my rear floor in my 2017 GLC Coupe. Peace of mind achieved. Now I can ditch these noisy run flats.
Out of curiosity, what diameter wheels do you have on your GLC?
Old 05-20-2018, 10:18 PM

2017 GLC 300 Coupe'
Originally Posted by ArcticWhiteZ51
19”
Old 05-21-2018, 06:26 PM

2017 GLC300, 2017 Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by Tank7
Old 05-21-2018, 06:37 PM

2017 GLC 300 Coupe'
Originally Posted by ArcticWhiteZ51
19" Wheels
Old 05-25-2018, 12:01 AM

GLC 250d
Hi All,

Time has finally come to replace my Bridgestone MOE tyres and I have been contemplating all my options.

I think I will go with Non RFT, non MO tyres that have a slightly better load spec than the originals on my original AMG 20inch Rims.

I will get a can of slime as I already have a compressor and will also carry a repair kit.

Just have to check now that Mercedes Insurance is happy about this and that I will still get rescued by roadside assistance if I get stuck with something I can't fix on the side of the road.

cheers
Old 05-25-2018, 03:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MB GLC250
Originally Posted by redrover22
Hi All,

Time has finally come to replace my Bridgestone MOE tyres and I have been contemplating all my options.
Hi Red, lets us know how you go with this.
While the wear rate of my Bridgstone Duellers MOE seem to be OK, and will probably go another year yet, I am tracking Tyre prices in Preparation.
When the time comes, I have decided to change to non Run flats ie no more MOE tyres.
My choices will be either Michelin of Continental. The Contis with automatic sealant sound interesting but not a must have, and my not be available in our size (255/45 R20). I carry a 12v compressor, slime and a repair kit. Also have noticed that the standard Bridgstone Duellers have come down in price significantly ...so they might be on my list as well.

Phil.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:19 PM

GLC 250D
Also interested. When I switched from 20" RFT to 19" non-RFT, I thought it simplest and safest to use essentially the same tyre in non-RFT form, which in my case was Pirelli Scorpion Verde. But it doesn't get a great wrap here, and I'd be interested whether something better can be found locally.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:12 AM

GLC 250d
Originally Posted by Citizen613
Hi Red, lets us know how you go with this.
While the wear rate of my Bridgstone Duellers MOE seem to be OK, and will probably go another year yet, I am tracking Tyre prices in Preparation.
When the time comes, I have decided to change to non Run flats ie no more MOE tyres.
My choices will be either Michelin of Continental. The Contis with automatic sealant sound interesting but not a must have, and my not be available in our size (255/45 R20). I carry a 12v compressor, slime and a repair kit. Also have noticed that the standard Bridgstone Duellers have come down in price significantly ...so they might be on my list as well.

Phil.
Hi All,

I have made the plunge and fitted Hankook K120 tires and purchased a slime compressor kit.

The Hankooks aren't listed as an "SUV" tyre (whatever that means) and have a significantly higher load and speed rating and are considered a performance tyre.

As soon as I turned the steering on full lock out of the tyre centre I felt the crabbing, hoping this could be because new tyres are super slippery with the coatings that they have when new..

Guess what? After 50 kms the tyres don't crab at all, even in car parks on a cold and wet day here in Sydney.

They are much more comfortable, you don't feel the dread approaching speed humps, quieter, and turn into corners much much better.

I know I am comparing old with new but the Bridgestone Dueller runflats never felt like this. So much for MOE!!

It will be interesting to see how they fair in another 20,000km but at the moment I am super happy!

cheers
Old 05-30-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
Well, I am not surprised that normal tires perform better than RF or MOE. The only issue here is emergency situation. If I switch to normal tires I am more comfortable with a spare tire and the space under the boot is a huge issue.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:11 PM

GLC 250d
Originally Posted by openwheelracing
Well, I am not surprised that normal tires perform better than RF or MOE. The only issue here is emergency situation. If I switch to normal tires I am more comfortable with a spare tire and the space under the boot is a huge issue.
Of course I would be more comfortable with a full size spare and I agree the space issue is huge and for this reason I will not purchase another GLC as I don't believe it is ultimately suited to this country. In Aus we are rarely within 80kms of a service centre when driving in the country.

At least now if I have a flat I have a reasonable chance of plugging the tyre with the slime kit as well as easily and relatively cheaply getting the tyre replaced if need be as the Hankooks seem readily available here.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:09 PM

GLC 250D
Of course I would be more comfortable with a full size spare and I agree the space issue is huge and for this reason I will not purchase another GLC as I don't believe it is ultimately suited to this country. In Aus we are rarely within 80kms of a service centre when driving in the country.
I can relate to this. But what car in this market segment is? You're either going to get RFT and no spare (BMW), or non-RFT with only an emergency spare (Audi, Lexus), or perhaps only a tirefit kit. Are you aware of a vehicle in this market segment that is suitable? I struggled with the decision to buy a GLC for this reason, and I struggle to identify what I would buy today if I was back in the market.

Part of the problem is the large and wide wheels that these cars have. Very hard to fit in a full wheel, even if it is stored deflated and a compressor is included. But even smaller wheeled cars are often no better. Friends of ours in a moderately remote coastal location bought a Mazda 3 and it only has an emergency spare. So there are plenty of cars around that are not suitable to life outside a major metro area.

At least now if I have a flat I have a reasonable chance of plugging the tyre with the slime kit as well as easily and relatively cheaply getting the tyre replaced if need be as the Hankooks seem readily available here.
Slime kits are cheaper, but the tyre won't be repairable. The tirefit kit supposedly will leave a repairable puncture still repairable, but costs more. Given the cost of the latex can, slime and replacement may be more sensible, so long as you're in a location where you can quickly source a tyre.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:36 PM

GLC 250d
Slime kits are cheaper, but the tyre won't be repairable. The tirefit kit supposedly will leave a repairable puncture still repairable, but costs more. Given the cost of the latex can, slime and replacement may be more sensible, so long as you're in a location where you can quickly source a tyre.
Let's clear up a couple of myths..

Why do you think a tyre repaired with a slime kit won't be repairable?

I also had a scan through an ml350 manual and can't find anywhere that it states a limit on how far you can drive on the compact spare. It just states the speed limit on it and advises to replace it with your repaired tyre as soon as possible.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:50 PM

GLC 250D
Why do you think a tyre repaired with a slime kit won't be repairable?

I also had a scan through an ml350 manual and can't find anywhere that it states a limit on how far you can drive on the compact spare. It just states the speed limit on it and advises to replace it with your repaired tyre as soon as possible.
In relation to slime, when I was considering whether to get one of these kits or perhaps a tirefit kit, I did some research and talked to people who should know, including my local MB dealer and my local tyre shop. That is what I was uniformly told. Can I prove it? No. Have I been unsuccessful in trying to get a slimed tyre repaired? No. But I am comfortable making that statement based on my research. I was also told that while there are no guarantees, because tirefit is latex it just peels off and should not prevent a repair. If there are first-hand reports of a slimed tyre being repaired I'm always open to new information.

In relation to how far you can drive on an emergency, I admit I was quoting a general impression, since I don't have one of these tyres. I just checked the online manual and as you say it mentions a speed but not distance limit. MBA does say "You may only use the space saver tyre for a brief period", whatever that means. I thought the distance limit was on the tyre, e.g. in post 81, Larry P Myers said "Interesting to note the speed limit and drive distance on the pictured tire is identical to a zero pressure extended mobility tire" (my added emphasis). Whether or not there's a specified limit, I can't imagine driving long distances on one.

But these were just asides. The question I was really asking was, which alternative to the GLC is a realistic alternative choice, if the lack of a spare is a deal-breaker?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:05 PM

GLC 250d
In relation to slime, when I was considering whether to get one of these kits or perhaps a tirefit kit, I did some research and talked to people who should know, including my local MB dealer and my local tyre shop. That is what I was uniformly told. Can I prove it? No. Have I been unsuccessful in trying to get a slimed tyre repaired? No. But I am comfortable making that statement based on my research. I was also told that while there are no guarantees, because tirefit is latex it just peels off and should not prevent a repair. If there are first-hand reports of a slimed tyre being repaired I'm always open to new information.

In relation to how far you can drive on an emergency, I admit I was quoting a general impression, since I don't have one of these tyres. I just checked the online manual and as you say it mentions a speed but not distance limit. MBA does say "You may only use the space saver tyre for a brief period", whatever that means. I thought the distance limit was on the tyre, e.g. in post 81, Larry P Myers said "Interesting to note the speed limit and drive distance on the pictured tire is identical to a zero pressure extended mobility tire" (my added emphasis). Whether or not there's a specified limit, I can't imagine driving long distances on one.

But these were just asides. The question I was really asking was, which alternative to the GLC is a realistic alternative choice, if the lack of a spare is a deal-breaker?
I believe Larry P Myers might have mistook the 50mph and 80kmh to be 80km at 50mph.

Given that, this then opens up a lot of choices for SUV's that come with storable space savers.

My preference is a Range Rover Sport that comes with a proper size spare (though not the same wheel as on the car). At least that was on the 2007 model I had.

I haven't done much research on this yet but will when it get's close to the end of my lease. I live in the city but do a lot of runs down the Hume to Yarrawonga to see my parents.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:15 AM

GLC 250D
I believe Larry P Myers might have mistook the 50mph and 80kmh to be 80km at 50mph.

Given that, this then opens up a lot of choices for SUV's that come with storable space savers.

My preference is a Range Rover Sport that comes with a proper size spare (though not the same wheel as on the car). At least that was on the 2007 model I had.

I haven't done much research on this yet but will when it get's close to the end of my lease. I live in the city but do a lot of runs down the Hume to Yarrawonga to see my parents.
Certainly the 50 at 50 / 80 at 80 rule seems to be the conventional wisdom. I vaguely seem to recall either the salesman or spare parts guy at the local MB dealer saying it. But when you start to search it's hard to find it written down anywhere. Perhaps there's something printed on the wheel or tyre in the fine print. Emergency spares come in a range of styles and perhaps it is written on some of them, and that has been generalised to all of them.

Out of interest, I did a search and found some of the local motoring associations offer advice. The NRMA says "Space saver tyres only have a range of a few hundred kilometres, then they’re worn out and have to be replaced" and the RACQ says much the same. I do wonder whether they're including the Subaru space-save spare, which is not speed or distance limited, but in practice must have some limit. Autoguide says 50 miles, or up to 70 in some cases, as does Carbibles, which also notes a lot of maker to maker variation. Not clear what any of that is based on, but they all seem to agree that rapid wear is an issue.

The question in my mind is how long are you prepared to drive on an emergency spare, all things considered? Having just returned from a 3,500km trip to the west of NSW, it's a long way to the next small town, and sitting on the Barrier or Silver City so-called highways on 80km/h with road trains coming up fast behind me and sitting on my tail is not appealing. I travel to the far south coast a fair bit as well, and ditto up and down the winding roads and with logging trucks on my tail. An emergency might work for longer than 80kms in some circumstances, but wouldn't cut it for much or my driving. I also would want some sort of official guidance before trusting it for significantly longer distances than the conventional wisdom suggests.

When we were shopping for the GLC and looked at a Q5, the local Audi dealer had an interesting arrangement. You could borrow a full wheel as a spare, and they would put a pre-authorisation on your credit card, and if you came back with the tyre unused they would cancel it. A full wheel would almost fit in the cavity for the emergency, perhaps deflated, so you don't loose so much space. The other interesting option is the Jaguar F-Pace, which has the option at order time of either either an emergency or full spare. From the photos I've seen the full spare looks decidedly odd, as the boot floor is higher and oddly shaped, but it's probably better than how I carry my full spare in the GLC, and at least it's an option. I'm not sure I want to take a Jag to the outback tho'.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:10 AM

GLC 250d
Certainly the 50 at 50 / 80 at 80 rule seems to be the conventional wisdom. I vaguely seem to recall either the salesman or spare parts guy at the local MB dealer saying it. But when you start to search it's hard to find it written down anywhere. Perhaps there's something printed on the wheel or tyre in the fine print. Emergency spares come in a range of styles and perhaps it is written on some of them, and that has been generalised to all of them.

Out of interest, I did a search and found some of the local motoring associations offer advice. The NRMA says "Space saver tyres only have a range of a few hundred kilometres, then they’re worn out and have to be replaced" and the RACQ says much the same. I do wonder whether they're including the Subaru space-save spare, which is not speed or distance limited, but in practice must have some limit. Autoguide says 50 miles, or up to 70 in some cases, as does Carbibles, which also notes a lot of maker to maker variation. Not clear what any of that is based on, but they all seem to agree that rapid wear is an issue.

The question in my mind is how long are you prepared to drive on an emergency spare, all things considered? Having just returned from a 3,500km trip to the west of NSW, it's a long way to the next small town, and sitting on the Barrier or Silver City so-called highways on 80km/h with road trains coming up fast behind me and sitting on my tail is not appealing. I travel to the far south coast a fair bit as well, and ditto up and down the winding roads and with logging trucks on my tail. An emergency might work for longer than 80kms in some circumstances, but wouldn't cut it for much or my driving. I also would want some sort of official guidance before trusting it for significantly longer distances than the conventional wisdom suggests.

When we were shopping for the GLC and looked at a Q5, the local Audi dealer had an interesting arrangement. You could borrow a full wheel as a spare, and they would put a pre-authorisation on your credit card, and if you came back with the tyre unused they would cancel it. A full wheel would almost fit in the cavity for the emergency, perhaps deflated, so you don't loose so much space. The other interesting option is the Jaguar F-Pace, which has the option at order time of either either an emergency or full spare. From the photos I've seen the full spare looks decidedly odd, as the boot floor is higher and oddly shaped, but it's probably better than how I carry my full spare in the GLC, and at least it's an option. I'm not sure I want to take a Jag to the outback tho'.
Hi Bips,

It would seem for what you want a full size spare is only the way to go.

I am just trying to approach this from a pragmatic point of view. There are many things that can stop our vehicles dead in their tracks and a flat tyre or severely damaged tyre is just one of them. This is why of course, if you go totally outback, you might carry multiple full size spares on a roof rack plus other supplies to survive.

Even though I am covering some long distances, they are on well populated roads so I would never be fully stranded. I just have to weigh up my best options when I get a flat and make a judgement call as to wether I try and repair the puncture with a puncture kit, use the slime kit or call road side assist.

I have been driving for 35 years, mostly Alfas, sometimes on many interstate trips, and have only been stuck twice. Once I ran out of petrol (my stupidity, in the city fortunately) and once a battery completely failed on my 2011 Alfa Giulietta QV, which was replaced by roadside assist. Can't blame Alfa for that.

This is not to say I haven't had failures but I have managed to fix everything on the side of the road like, pinched oil seals (alfa Berlina, my stupid fault), blown cam seal (alfasud), hit a kangaroo and fixed damaged radiator in the country, blew a radiator hose on my Fiat in the country and patched on the side of the road etc etc. I admit though that I carried many spares and repair materials in the boot!

If I was stuck in the middle of nowhere and only had a compact spare I would figure out a way to make it go as far as I needed. I imagine I would just be another L plater on the highway for that period of time.

So, in the end, we just equip ourselves as best we can and bring out the bush mechanic in us when needed or rely on external support as required.

cheers.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc
Will 19 inch spare from GL fit both the car and under the trunk compart?
A644000102 vs 18inch, A1644000002
Old 06-14-2018, 08:44 PM

GLC, Q7
If you are Australian need to also ensure the spare meets MB specifications. This is not to say that it needs to be a MB product.

Failure to do so and in the event of a serious accident (whilst using a non compliant tyre size) would deem the car unroadworthy . This may lead to charges from the police and no insurance cover.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC spare tire options