GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

2017 GLC300 Windshield Glass Crack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 02:21 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by Ian of Sydney
I have had 2 chips and 1 crack in first 20 months of ownership. Had new OEM screen installed in April and within 1 month another chip. All occurred on motorways. Been driving new Audi, BMW and Mercedes for past 25 years. The GLC is the first to have a windscreen replacement. I have been told it is due to the upright design of the windscreen. Who knows why, but not good enough.....
Sorry, I call BS on this and think it's just an easy excuse for the industry (car and glass). Glass is heavy and it's probably a very easy and cheap fix for car manufacturer's to now skimp on to get that extra MPG they are all fighting for thanks to govt mandates. They get multiple benefits...cheaper glass and higher MPG, while not having to cover under warranty, while the glass manufacturers also have cheaper costs, but consistent business (paid by consumers and/or insurance cos) to churn out more windshields, pano sunroofs, etc. Just my pessimistic, conspiracy theory...

I don't recall ever replacing a windshield (before the MB and BMW) in less than 100k miles on any of my prior, older vehicles.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:23 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Could it be that acoustic glass is inherently weaker and therefore more chip prone?
Old 07-09-2018, 12:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250 4matic 2017 Iridium silver, with beige/brown interior.
Angry

Originally Posted by guido3
Could it be that acoustic glass is inherently weaker and therefore more chip prone?
Hmmm.....interesting thought! However, I would have believed that it was the other
way around? Thicker/laminated glass - more durable/resistant to wear and tear...
Slightly ot:
To add icing on the cake; my brakes have started to squeal again....
Old 07-09-2018, 02:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, Q7
Originally Posted by Bernadôtte
Hmmm.....interesting thought! However, I would have believed that it was the other
way around? Thicker/laminated glass - more durable/resistant to wear and tear...
Slightly ot:
To add icing on the cake; my brakes have started to squeal again....

My first windscreen was not acoustic glass and the second is acoustic glass.

I think a previous member was correct. It's an exercise in lighter glass to improve economy and probably *manufacturing costs. My view is MB has built the GLC on a budget ( e.g. issues with wipers, brakes, tyres, rattles, etc.) and sell it at a premium. This may work for them now but in the long run customers will turn to better built products.*
Old 07-09-2018, 02:54 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Ian of Sydney
My first windscreen was not acoustic glass and the second is acoustic glass.

I think a previous member was correct. It's an exercise in lighter glass to improve economy and probably *manufacturing costs. My view is MB has built the GLC on a budget ( e.g. issues with wipers, brakes, tyres, rattles, etc.) and sell it at a premium. This may work for them now but in the long run customers will turn to better built products.*
Sadly, I believe you're correct. There's been too many issues, in my opinion...
Old 07-09-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Bernadôtte
I believe (although certainly not sure) that all windshields are laminated with some kind of vinyl(?) interlayer. *My thought was: Is it possible that the properties of the acoustical type of vinyls are such that, while good for acoustics, they actually provide less strength and stiffness? Maybe someone who really knows about windshield manufacturing will chime in here.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC
I've owned my GLC for about a month now and I've find the front windshield cracks easier then them Q5 did. Its like the glass isn't as strong as the Audi was.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:49 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by siren001
I've owned my GLC for about a month now and I've find the front windshield cracks easier then them Q5 did. Its like the glass isn't as strong as the Audi was.
Yes. It's a disgrace, if you ask me. Not exactly 'premium'....