Advanced Lighting Package question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
--
Advanced Lighting Package question

Hello all!

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Active LED's are different in U.S. vs Europe -- can someone shed light on this? (no pun intended)

I think it had something to do with the anti-glare for oncoming / cars infront traffic being enabled in Europe but not in the U.S. Is this still the case?

If that indeed is the case, is there a big difference between the static LEDs vs the Advanced Lighting Package (minus the ambient light) in the U.S. GLCs? Worth the additional $1050 on MY18?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by arch85
Hello all!

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Active LED's are different in U.S. vs Europe -- can someone shed light on this? (no pun intended)

I think it had something to do with the anti-glare for oncoming / cars infront traffic being enabled in Europe but not in the U.S. Is this still the case?

If that indeed is the case, is there a big difference between the static LEDs vs the Advanced Lighting Package (minus the ambient light) in the U.S. GLCs? Worth the additional $1050 on MY18?

Thanks!
i have the advanced lighting and i must say it is well worth $1050. i got it as part of the P3 package (which to be honest i didn't know was part of it until after i bought it) but the auto features (hi beam on off and cornering lamp) are beautiful at night. at a minimum i would recommend at least getting LED's vs the conventional as the light is nice and white and the eyebrow DRL is cool looking
Old 07-09-2017, 09:00 PM

--
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
i have the advanced lighting and i must say it is well worth $1050. i got it as part of the P3 package (which to be honest i didn't know was part of it until after i bought it) but the auto features (hi beam on off and cornering lamp) are beautiful at night. at a minimum i would recommend at least getting LED's vs the conventional as the light is nice and white and the eyebrow DRL is cool looking
Yeah, the MY18 coupe comes standard with Static LEDs -- I have read that LEDs in Advanced Lighting are brighter, and all the cornering and anti-glare features ... just not sure if all of those features are available in the U.S. or not. And if not, it is a justifiable cost to pay $1050 for just a little (or a lot? any input?) brighter light.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
I am not sure what the anti-glare for on coming car is, but following is the description of the US version from the mbusa.com site:

"Active LED headlamps with Adaptive Highbeam Assist

Pioneered by Mercedes-Benz, dynamic LED headlamps generate light that's even closer to natural daylight than the standard Bi-Xenon headlamps. Active Curve Illumination and Adaptive Highbeam Assist continuously vary the beam pattern of the LEDs in each headlamp to help maximize the illumination of corners and straightaways, without creating glare for other drivers."
Old 07-09-2017, 11:05 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by ted_jane
I am not sure what the anti-glare for on coming car is, but following is the description of the US version from the mbusa.com site:

"Active LED headlamps with Adaptive Highbeam Assist

Pioneered by Mercedes-Benz, dynamic LED headlamps generate light that's even closer to natural daylight than the standard Bi-Xenon headlamps. Active Curve Illumination and Adaptive Highbeam Assist continuously vary the beam pattern of the LEDs in each headlamp to help maximize the illumination of corners and straightaways, without creating glare for other drivers."
Sounds like the 1050 gets you the active lights but the lights themselves are the same. I can definitely see it actively working and getting brighter or dimmer and changing direction, which is a little disconcerting at first. Their description kind of makes it sound like it's better for others drivers... Maybe they should pay for it . The active features for me significantly help light the path much better at night.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:33 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Hello all!

I haven't gotten my car yet, but I watched videos and read everything I could about this and I decided I wanted this feature despite some potential differences between the European and US version. Many on this forum would not be without the Advanced Lighting pkg.

As far as the "anti-glare" feature, my understanding is the headlights actually stay on high beam more of the time if they determine they can adjust the angle down or to the side, thereby not blinding the oncoming driver. If they can't, that's where auto dimming kicks in.
That's why they're called Adaptive Highbeam Assist and not just an Auto Dimming function.

I did get the impression there WAS some difference in the level of sofistication between the two countries versions of these lights, but users on this forum convinced me they were the way to go.

This was an important feature to me because I live in more of a rural area and I need all the help I can get trying to avoid deer at night. I HATE dimming my lights at night because it cuts down on my ability to see down the road for too long a time. Hopefully these bad boy LED's will help that situation.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:20 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
W203 C350; Lexus GS450h; GLC250 AMG Line
In my part of the world, the Intelligent Lighting System (ILS) is without Adaptive High Beam Assist. That high beam assist function is an optional item.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:10 AM

--
Thank you everyone! Appreciate the responses.

I found this (scroll to the bottom of the page to see the limitation): http://www.loebermotors.com/blog/wha...ghbeam-assist/

"Update: Adaptive Highbeam Assist is available in the US, however the Mercedes-Benz MultiBeam LEDs are prohibited due to the following regulation."

So looks like we don't get the cool multibeam effects in the U.S. ... so ridiculous ... (the laws, not MB).

Anyway, based on the feedback I think I'll add that bad boy to my car It's a 60k car, what's 1k more? hah!
Old 07-10-2017, 01:25 PM

Thank you everyone! Appreciate the responses.

I found this (scroll to the bottom of the page to see the limitation): http://www.loebermotors.com/blog/wha...ghbeam-assist/

"Update: Adaptive Highbeam Assist is available in the US, however the Mercedes-Benz MultiBeam LEDs are prohibited due to the following regulation."

So looks like we don't get the cool multibeam effects in the U.S. ... so ridiculous ... (the laws, not MB)
Thanks for finding that...I remember reading that but I couldn't remember that specific difference the US version was lacking. So does lacking Multibeams mean it still dims to low beams for oncoming traffic and the Adaptive part is more for curves and cornering? Ugggg!

Looks like the Multibeams would be a plus, safety wise.

Damn Government!!
Old 07-10-2017, 01:30 PM

Ok, I should have gone to your link first! So we still get dimming without going to full Low Beam mode.

Still a good thing.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Move on up - really - a whole-world-of-difference betw "static LED" and "full-LED Intelligent" and I mean a whole-world
Old 07-11-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts
E63S4S
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Move on up - really - a whole-world-of-difference betw "static LED" and "full-LED Intelligent" and I mean a whole-world
Not only is there adaptive lighting (curve illumination), high beams are full LED arrays on the adaptive lighting package, have auto on highs, and do some of the cool party tricks available in europe but not all...
Old 07-12-2017, 12:08 AM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GLC 43, GLC Coupe 300 2020
Worth every penny, best lighting system I've ever had on a car.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4MATIC (formerly: 2010 Lexus RX 350 & 2013 Mercedes-Benz B250)
Originally Posted by wassup61
Not only is there adaptive lighting (curve illumination), high beams are full LED arrays on the adaptive lighting package, have auto on highs, and do some of the cool party tricks available in europe but not all...
I've tried to figure out what features and functionality of the LED ILS that work in Europe are not working in U.S. and Canadian GLC models, but I haven't been very successful. I understand that the "auto high beam dimming" (or equivalent) function works, but what else does? Do the ILS lights in North American models do what appears to be dynamic beam shaping, e.g., directing light at roadside and overhead signs, turning off direct lighting at oncoming and preceding cars, etc.?

Even despite not having all the Euro-spec headlight functionality, the LED ILS lights in my Canadian-spec GLC are superb!
Old 07-12-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC300 Coupe
I've found that on my coupe (US), they are pretty binary: either they light up brighter/move up when it's completely dark and no cars around or come back to in their standard position when it detects headlights/streetlights. There doesn't seem to be any additional traffic sensing features beyond that. But that alone was enough to make my wife go "wow!" on a late night drive home from dinner. They really are quite phenomenal.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW M235xi
Originally Posted by shadownddust
I've found that on my coupe (US), they are pretty binary: either they light up brighter/move up when it's completely dark and no cars around or come back to in their standard position when it detects headlights/streetlights. There doesn't seem to be any additional traffic sensing features beyond that. But that alone was enough to make my wife go "wow!" on a late night drive home from dinner. They really are quite phenomenal.
Do they swivel when you turn the steering wheel?
The following users liked this post:
LHT0128 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 GLC43 (On Order)
Originally Posted by augerpro
Do they swivel when you turn the steering wheel?
yes
Old 07-12-2017, 10:12 PM

--
Thanks all!

Yeah, I think the only feature that's not in the U.S. model is the fancy multi-beam feature, which creates a dark block so the cars in front of you don't get blinded ... as a substitute, we get the differential range high beams.

's all good -- based on all the feedback, I guess I'll keep it on my build just hate the wait! ugh!
BCRCornet (07-12-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 12:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4MATIC (formerly: 2010 Lexus RX 350 & 2013 Mercedes-Benz B250)
Thanks all!

Yeah, I think the only feature that's not in the U.S. model is the fancy multi-beam feature, which creates a dark block so the cars in front of you don't get blinded ... as a substitute, we get the differential range high beams. ...
What do you think - does the North American version of the system support directing light to overhead and roadside signs, even if it lacks the function of masking light directed at oncoming and preceding vehicles?
Old 07-13-2017, 12:29 AM

--
Originally Posted by BCRCornet
What do you think - does the North American version of the system support directing light to overhead and roadside signs, even if it lacks the function of masking light directed at oncoming and preceding vehicles?
Highly doubt it. I believe the multi-beams are used for that purpose, which are not enabled in the U.S. I could be wrong though.
BCRCornet (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC300 Coupe
Highly doubt it. I believe the multi-beams are used for that purpose, which are not enabled in the U.S. I could be wrong though.
I can't say that they are directed towards signs, but signs are very well lit with the LEDs.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Originally Posted by BCRCornet
From my experience, I'd say no. The lighting pattern rises in height to the right and that provides some extra signage illumination, but there is not any extra overhead signage illumination.

Another caveat: some drivers of oncoming cars will count the four illuminated segments of the ILS and flash you because they think your high beams are on, even if they're not getting glare.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by midesaka
Another caveat: some drivers of oncoming cars will count the four illuminated segments of the ILS and flash you because they think your high beams are on, even if they're not getting glare.
I was wondering if that happens much, because I have noticed oncoming newer cars with BRIGHT lights, but they weren't necessarily blinding me. I guess drivers are going to have to get used to these new, more sophisticated lighting systems and realize they're not the old obnoxious HID's that DID blind oncoming drivers.

Of course, you hate to seem like a jerk and ignore the flash to dim your lights! You can't chance causing road rage these days.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
Unnecessary flashing happens sometimes with the Xenon headlights on my BMW, but I just quickly (emphasize quickly) flash back to let the the flasher know the high beams are off. Is the option to quickly flash available with the Advanced Lighting Package?
Old 07-13-2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ted_jane
Unnecessary flashing happens sometimes with the Xenon headlights on my BMW, but I just quickly (emphasize quickly) flash back to let the the flasher know the high beams are off. Is the option to quickly flash available with the Advanced Lighting Package?
Good point. I wasn't even thinking about a quick flash. Then the other driver is like "whoa, guess they weren't on bright"!

Accoding to the Owners Manual I found online, pulling forward on the left stalk is the High Beam flasher. Can't imagine that goes away with the Active LED option.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advanced Lighting Package question