GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

iPhone 6S fails to connect via USB Media Interface and Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mercedes GLC43
iPhone 6S fails to connect via USB Media Interface and Bluetooth

On Sunday I encountered an issue and I wanted to know if any others had experienced it:

- I connected my iPhone 6S to my USB connector prior to a long 8 hour drive looking forward to listening to Spotify; it's a connection I've used many times before and has always worked

- the entertainment system's media menu tells me nothing is connected to Media Interface 1

- I reconnect to the 2nd USB, still the entertainment system tells me no device is connected

- I try a different USB wire in both USB sockets, still nothing detected on Media Interface 1 or 2

- I ensure Bluetooth is enabled on my iPhone, no Bluetooth audio is detected by the entertainment system

- I un-pair then re-pair my Bluetooth with my iPhone, finally it says Bluetooth is paired. I'm able to make phone calls via the Bluetooth audio but the media still doesn't work

3 days later I reconnect my iPhone to the USB and it is immediately detected on Media Interface 1 and plays music. Magic. No idea what changed, I didn't reconfigure my phone or the GLC's entertainment system in between.

Has anyone else encountered this mysterious problem?

2017 GLC43
Burmeister stereo

(Also posting on GLC43 and GLC 63 forum)
Old 08-09-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by rihallix
On Sunday I encountered an issue and I wanted to know if any others had experienced it:

- I connected my iPhone 6S to my USB connector prior to a long 8 hour drive looking forward to listening to Spotify; it's a connection I've used many times before and has always worked

- the entertainment system's media menu tells me nothing is connected to Media Interface 1

- I reconnect to the 2nd USB, still the entertainment system tells me no device is connected

- I try a different USB wire in both USB sockets, still nothing detected on Media Interface 1 or 2

- I ensure Bluetooth is enabled on my iPhone, no Bluetooth audio is detected by the entertainment system

- I un-pair then re-pair my Bluetooth with my iPhone, finally it says Bluetooth is paired. I'm able to make phone calls via the Bluetooth audio but the media still doesn't work

3 days later I reconnect my iPhone to the USB and it is immediately detected on Media Interface 1 and plays music. Magic. No idea what changed, I didn't reconfigure my phone or the GLC's entertainment system in between.

Has anyone else encountered this mysterious problem?

2017 GLC43
Burmeister stereo

(Also posting on GLC43 and GLC 63 forum)

Yup, same thing happened to me. Also on iPhone 6S but using Apple Music.
Was working fine using same cable from Apple since I picked up the vehicle in April. I drive everyday, but it stopped working out of nowhere.
Tried different ports, different cables, nothing.
Also tried on wife's iPhone 7 Plus - same thing.
I left it alone for a week and just listened to satellite radio during the drive to work. Tried it again and its working. Also no idea what caused it to start working again.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:05 PM

Mercedes GLC43
Originally Posted by mleun481
Yup, same thing happened to me. Also on iPhone 6S
Long shot - did this happen after you'd parked your GLC for an extended time in heat or dry heat?

I parked the car in Palm Springs for 8 hours on a day when the weather was 105F. It was the next morning when the issue occurred.

I live in northern California so this was out of the ordinary. Two days before I had done a long drive of 8 hours listening to music via the USB.

Were either of these factors when the situation happened for you mleun481?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
Make sure the USB connection on your phone is set to media device.

I had the same thing happen with my Android phone. I used the USB connection to listen to music several times, then suddenly the car no longer recognized the phone. When I tried again on another day, it worked again.

I discovered there is a USB MTP Media device setting on the phone. An alternative setting on the phone uses the USB port to only charge the phone. When the second setting is configured the car does not "see" the phone as a media device.

I think what is happening is some music player apps. on the phone may change the settings for the USB port to charge only, then when you attempt to use the phone as a media device with the car the USB port setting is configured wrong.

Note, Bluetooth pairing is not required when using the USB connection to listen to music. Bluetooth is a wireless technology, where USB is a wired connection.

Last edited by ted_jane; 08-10-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GLC43
Hmm. Don't think so. It is summer but not as what you are describing. I keep the car in the garage at home and its under a covered parking lot at work.
The following users liked this post:
rihallix (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC250
Originally Posted by ted_jane
Make sure the USB connection on your phone is set to media device.

I had the same thing happen with my Android phone. I used the USB connection to listen to music several times, then suddenly the car no longer recognized the phone. When I tried again on another day, it worked again.

I discovered there is a USB MTP Media device setting on the phone. An alternative setting on the phone uses the USB port to only charge the phone. When the second setting is configured the car does not "see" the phone as a media device.

I think what is happening is some music player apps. on the phone may change the settings for the USB port to charge only, then when you attempt to use the phone as a media device with the car the USB port setting is configured wrong.

Note, Bluetooth pairing is not required when using the USB connection to listen to music. Bluetooth is a wireless technology, where USB is a wired connection.
There is not such thing in iOS. Only Android has this.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:40 AM

Mercedes GLC43
Originally Posted by mleun481
Hmm. Don't think so. It is summer but not as what you are describing. I keep the car in the garage at home and its under a covered parking lot at work.
I was parked at the BMW Performance Driving School in Thermal,CA (which was a blast, AMG Academy in late Sept). Maybe my AMG was demonstrating it's objection to my presence there

However my car is also normally garaged, but this was the first time of note that...
- it had been on a long drive of 8 hours (had only done 3 hour drives before)
- it had been parked in daytime in the sun in a temperature over 100F