MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC Class (X253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253-203/)
-   -   Why GLC? And what else did you looked at? (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/680336-why-glc-what-else-did-you-looked.html)

DanD. 08-25-2017 11:46 AM

Why GLC? And what else did you looked at?

Hello all GLC owners,
Looking at GLC as my wife next car. Drove one, and liked it. Very hard hard to find one with options we / she wants but we are looking.

would would like to ask a few question who actually got GLC.
1. Why did you pick GLC and what other options you were looked at?
2. Are you leasing or financing?
3. How reliable is GLC ? Planning to keep it, for how long?
4. Did you notice a light vibration when car idling?

Thank you all in advance.

Bob in Texas 08-25-2017 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by DanD. (Post 7249196)
Hello all GLC owners,
Looking at GLC as my wife next car. Drove one, and liked it. Very hard hard to find one with options we / she wants but we are looking.

I can only answer the first question: we looked at the Audi Q5, Jaguar F-Pace and the GLC 300.

Didn't like the Audi, Loved the F-Pace but the wife didn't like the harsh ride. The GLC was the one the wife liked

nsoltz 08-25-2017 11:58 AM

Just ordered my GLC so can't speak to driving and other characteristics.

I fully intended to buy the Audi Q5 and looked at the GLC just as comparison. I found the GLC interior more finished and to both my wife and myself the seating was more comfortable. I also was unhappy that the Audi virtual dash was by subscription-- $500 for 18 months.

I currently own a BMW 535x. Other car in consideration was the BMW X3. Interior is too spartan and I found the GLC300 electronics more advanced. My 535x has not been very dependable.

So to my surprise the GLC came in first. Ordered on Aug 16 and hoping for delivery by end of October.

Debated waiting for the 350e plug-in hybrid but

Have agreed upon a price with dealer and gave deposit. Leaving lease or purchase open at the moment but leaning to 3 year 1-payment lease. Technology will be more advanced in 3 years and perhaps electric or plug-in hybrids will be more prevalent.

midesaka 08-25-2017 02:05 PM

1. Seriously considered the RAV4 Hybrid, Edge Sport, and RX350. Of those, liked the first two; loved and would have bought an RX350 if not for (a) the stupid front-end styling, and (b) the fiddly "console mouse" system controller. I could live with the styling, as I wouldn't see it while driving, but I'd be using that controller every time I got in the vehicle, and it annoyed the hell out of me. Ended up choosing the GLC for styling, comfort, HUD availability, and an excellent servicing dealership.
2. No
3. So far, no problems. Almost 11,000mi since late February. Plan on keeping it at least 5 years.
4. Haven't noticed a vibration at idle, but when standing nearby it does sound a bit...agricultural at idle.

EdZ1 08-25-2017 02:53 PM

GLC opinion from Texas

>> I was intent on replacing my Infiniti FX35 with something current, high-tech and which is capable of a little more off-road. The FX (aka QX70) is built on the 350Z chassis and has no ground clearance. I ordered my GLC with air-suspension which is the basis on which the "Offroader" designation is created for the GLC. Having used it now for light off-road, its perfect and no longer gets turned around driving to a trail head.

>>>Well, personal question, but the best way to buy any car is purchase outright.

>>So far so good. HOWEVER, the use of RFT tires has already caused an issue. When I got a nail in a sidewall in Durango, CO I found that these tires are still made of unobtainium. I used a 12V pump for a week while waiting for a tire to be shipped. And, I plan that this vehicle is a 15 year keeper like my FX35 was. I hope MB is as reliable.

>>The only problem I have with my GLC is that the 4-banger just doesn't sound like my 300hp FX or like any V8. Perhaps some recorded broadcast of a good engine rumble would help. That said, this thing is a lot "quicker" than my 300hp FX. Going up the big grades in CO, no problem. Overtaking at high-elevation, with that turbocharger, is like going downhill.

Recommended options:
- Air body control
- Burmiester
- Distronic
- Command (not Garmin base maps)
- Head-up Display (this thing is AWESOME)

Roowah 08-25-2017 03:28 PM

Hello all GLC owners,

1. Looked at the Q5 and X3 in addition to the GLC. Coming from a BMW 3 series, I was originally set on the X3, but after looking at the GLC at the NY Auto Show in 2016 it made the X3 look really old (which it is). I knew that there was a new X3 coming out later this year, but couldn't wait that long. After driving the GLC, I was very impressed with it. I drove the old Q5 as well which was also very outdated, and the new one came out after I ordered my GLC. F-Pace is a beautiful looking car with good power, but since I keep cars long term, I had reservations on Jaguar's reliability.

2. Financing

3. I've only had it for 4 months, so it's hard to say regarding future reliability. I've had a few squeaks that have been mostly addressed, which I was surprised to get on such a new vehicle. The issue with the wiper blades is there which is a known problem. They did a software update on my vehicle and are replacing the front side glass with acoustic glass (per TSB). Other than that, nothing has "broken", just me being particular and very sensitive to noise, squeaks etc. If all goes well, I do plan to keep my car for the long term. I had my last vehicle for 11 years.

4. The only time I feel a vibration at idle is through the steering wheel when the fan in on the highest setting (i.e. max A/C). Otherwise no vibrations.

Philamg 08-25-2017 05:35 PM

Changed from Land rover discovery sport because of all the quality issues other owners had/are still having, looked at F pace but made by same company. Looked at Macan but hate look of car and small.
First Merc but absolutely delighted with it, will change when 3 years old and at moment can't see me buying anything else.

ajmtbm 08-25-2017 06:08 PM

1. looked at Jaguar (liked it a lot but very firm ride, rear visibility pretty bad, nav system seemed buggy), Q5 (dated interior, just didn't like it the 2018 to me is a little better but not much), QX30 and QX50 (liked it but very dated looks and not a quiet ride) Land Rover (interior kind of plain and exterior didn't really like at all), Macan (was nice just not for me, wanted more luxury than sporty. also worried about reliability/repair costs). probably a couple others i also looked at.

The Benz interior is what won me over first - very classy and much nicer than everything else i saw and very smooth quiet ride. also liked the exterior better than all except the jaguar

i notice no light vibration. reliability, i am worried about repair costs.
Especially not happy about the RFT but there are many threads about that mess

planning to keep it a long time.

BlueRidge 08-25-2017 06:47 PM

We also tried the Audi Q5, but found the seats very uncomfortable. Did not take it for a drive.

re #2 - We are leasing. Also leased a GLK350 before.

re #4 - Good question. When we first got into our GLC 300 after it arrived at the dealership, the vibration while in idle was so irritating, that we almost walked away from the deal. The person in charge of service said that he could not change the idle and gave me some explanation for the rough idle that did not make any sense to me. But after a month or so, we rarely feel any vibration while in idle. So it may be something that goes away after a brief period.

ChinaBob 08-25-2017 10:19 PM

Hello all GLC owners,

1. I had been driving a BMW 328d. Loved the car but the seat was killing me and had to get something else quick. Looked at the BMW X3 because I could get it in diesel and the seat was much more comfortable than the 328's sport seat. The downside was that the X3 felt rather more truck-like to drive. The GLC's seats were a tad better and it feels more like driving a sedan. In addition, it is a more modern design with a number of safety features standard. Plus, I bought it CPO with only about 3800 miles on it, so I saved some money and got an awesome warranty.

2, Financed. Though I generally prefer to pay cash, I've been financing my last few cars because the financing rates are less than the interest I am earning on my savings so financing is actually cheaper than paying cash.

3. Of course no one knows for sure how reliable it will be but Consumer Reports is projecting much better than average. I hope to keep it at least until January of 2024 when all the warranties run out, but who knows.

4. No problem with vibration at idle.

I've come to really like this car, especially after the dealer installed acoustic glass in the front door windows at my request to cut down on wind noise and a new steering rack to take care of a problem with the front suspension not settling down after going over rough pavement. It didn't completely cure the problem and I am in line for a newly re-designed rack once they start shipping from Germany.

Favorite option: hand's down it's the Head Up Display, followed by the surround view cameras. Don't know why but it seems very few in-stock GLC's have HUD but for my money it's the best option on the car.

Least Favorite Option: hands down, it's the navigation system. I have the Command system (can't comment on the Garmin) that's years behind offerings from both BMW and Audi. It can't even find the dealership where I bought the car! The only saving grace is the Mercedes Me app which is quite good and my go to method for entering destinations.

ramzez 08-26-2017 07:19 AM

Hello all GLC owners,

1. I looked at Volvo XC60, Land Rover Discovery Sport, BMW X3 and Volkswagen Tiguan (new).
Didn't get Audi Q5 cause new one was coming out.
Didn't get XC60 cause new one was coming out.
Didn't get X3 cause new one was coming out :)
To be honest would have most likely bought XC60 it had much more safety options as standard and I loved R-Design. The back seats very comfortable.
I looked at Jaguar but the room at back was smaller and everything else looked like Land Rover.
We got GLC cause my wife didn't want to go test Land Rover and was tired. And I always wanted a Mercedes. Before we drove BMW.

Overall GLC is great car my humble opinion is that infortainment is way behind BMW and Audi. But ride quality is superb.

I also don't like customer service in the UK. I didn't have any real problems but experience is so so. Maybe just my dealer sucks.

3. I think I will change in a year or two. Depends really on technology. We drove to France and back. Long trips. 2K no issues.
4. No.

mike7ee 08-26-2017 11:04 AM

Safety / Reliability / Interior / Reviews
Also looked at Volvo XC90 (SPA XC60 wasn't out), BMW X3, Acura RDX/MDX.

GLC had a very high crash test rating from NCAP, 95% basically the same as the Volvo XC90 (97%) which is among the safest cars. The BMW X3 was very good but a bit lower at 88%.

Reliability for cars varies depending on source, but some have MB very high. USN said this "Average Reliability Score: 4.04 out of 5 --
Mercedes’ reliability scores are more consistent than any other automaker. Nearly every 2017 Mercedes vehicle earns a four out of five..." Dashboard-light project also rates MB very highly, after Toyota(Lexus) & Porsche but ahead of all others. JD Powers 2017 VDS was the similar.

Interior is entirely subjective, but the GLC was easily the best IMO.

Cash for vehicle #1 to get it out of the way. Would probably lease/finance for additional vehicles.

Up to 7 years, normal warranty + extended.

Roowah 08-26-2017 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChinaBob (Post 7249621)
I've come to really like this car, especially after the dealer installed acoustic glass in the front door windows at my request to cut down on wind noise and a new steering rack to take care of a problem with the front suspension not settling down after going over rough pavement. It didn't completely cure the problem and I am in line for a newly re-designed rack once they start shipping from Germany.

Glad to see that the acoustic glass makes a difference with the wind noise. I'm waiting for mine to come in and be installed. Have you found that it's made an appreciable difference?

Could you expand on what you've heard regarding a newly redesigned rack? I have noticed an extended vibration after going over certain bumps at highway speed. The dealer did a software update which has improved the steering feel, but not sure if it's 100% fixed the vibration issue.

ajmtbm 08-26-2017 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Roowah (Post 7249980)
Glad to see that the acoustic glass makes a difference with the wind noise. I'm waiting for mine to come in and be installed. Have you found that it's made an appreciable difference?

Could you expand on what you've heard regarding a newly redesigned rack? I have noticed an extended vibration after going over certain bumps at highway speed. The dealer did a software update which has improved the steering feel, but not sure if it's 100% fixed the vibration issue.

is there a TSB out for the acoustic glass? i cant say i hear excessive wind noise but i do hear some, hut it is what i would expect i guess. Its hard to tell what is "normal" but im guessing the acoustic glass wont hurt

Roowah 08-26-2017 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ajmtbm (Post 7250030)
is there a TSB out for the acoustic glass? i cant say i hear excessive wind noise but i do hear some, hut it is what i would expect i guess. Its hard to tell what is "normal" but im guessing the acoustic glass wont hurt

Yes, search in the GLC forum using "acoustic glass". There's a large thread on it. I found out about it after I had the shop foreman go on a ride with me and agreed about the wind noise, and he was able to find the TSB and ordered the parts. The TSB matches the one that's discussed here in that thread.

Interestingly, my windshield is acoustic glass (it's labeled on the glass), but from what I've read, not every GLC has it installed. Same for the front side glass.

ajmtbm 08-26-2017 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Roowah (Post 7250040)
Yes, search in the GLC forum using "acoustic glass". There's a large thread on it. I found out about it after I had the shop foreman go on a ride with me and agreed about the wind noise, and he was able to find the TSB and ordered the parts. The TSB matches the one that's discussed here in that thread.

Interestingly, my windshield is acoustic glass (it's labeled on the glass), but from what I've read, not every GLC has it installed. Same for the front side glass.

thanks for your help

thankfully my windshield is labeled as acoustic glass. was surprised the sides weren't, i would have thought they just did all of them. then again at the prices they charge maybe they cant afford the premium :)

DanD. 08-26-2017 05:58 PM

Thank you All, for all this helpful information, especially about acoustic glass.
I got brochure from my dealer, they have it listed as
851 Heat and Noise-Insulating Front Side Glass, but price is TBD

I'm surprised Lexus wasn't as other options, Line RX or NX, Q5 and X3 more common.

ramzez 08-26-2017 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by DanD. (Post 7250068)
Thank you All, for all this helpful information, especially about acoustic glass.
I got brochure from my dealer, they have it listed as
851 Heat and Noise-Insulating Front Side Glass, but price is TBD

I'm surprised Lexus wasn't as other options, Line RX or NX, Q5 and X3 more common.

I have driven Lexus NX 2 years ago and hate it. Such an under powered car and also it's too small. Probably GLA class. RX just looks a lot like Nissan Murano.

When I was living in US last year I also test driven a Acura. In US I would probably buy an Acura but they are not sold in U.K. :) Lexus IS great car but a little bit too mainstream it feels and I don't like Toyotas.

ChinaBob 08-26-2017 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Roowah (Post 7249980)

After driving a loaner '17 GLC for 10 days while my car was getting the glass, rack, etc., installed, I noticed an immediate difference as soon as I turned on the ignition, and I wasn't even moving yet! The car felt quieter and much more solid, more Mercedes-like, if you will. It does seem to be quieter on the highway, too, with less wind noise. I am not sure how optimal this is for the car. This is my first SUV after driving sedans all my life so don't know for sure but it seems reasonable that all other things being equal an SUV would have more wind noise than a sedan just by virtue of its higher profile and greater surface area.

The steering rack problem is quite another thing and I wouldn't be surprised if MB issues a recall on it as a safety issue. In fact, it may be the "modification" that's holding up new GLCs at the docks as discussed in other threads. Mine was doing quite a happy dance after hitting bumps and it's not hard to imagine that it could be dangerous in the wrong circumstances, such as having to make an emergency maneuver before the front suspension has settled down.

In any case, as I said in my first post, the dealer installed a new steering rack and did a lot of calibrating on it. The problem is much better now but not completely gone yet. My SA told me that MB has designed a new rack for the GLCs but it seems that it's not in production yet. I've asked him to put me on the list for the new rack whenever they come out. Meanwhile, judging from what I read in the forums, the problem seems common if not universal. The loaner GLC had it, though not as bad as my own car before the fix.

yjchua 08-26-2017 11:26 PM

Hello all GLC owners,

1. I was cross-shopping between the GLC43, SQ5 and the RR Velar P380. Since the SQ5 wasn't available around the time I was looking, I tested a regular Q5 2.0 Quattro TFSI instead. Didn't like the interior which felt too plasticky, and I also didn't like how the infotainment screen was angled slightly towards the driver. Aesthetically I've always preferred displays that were directly facing the rear, rather than slightly angled towards the driver.

The RR Velar had the best interior out of them, but Jaguar-Land Rover reliability is notoriously questionable, so well...

2. Paid for it completely upfront (with a 10% discount). No loan or financing. In Australia, my maxed-out GLC43 was only about half the price compared to back in my home country (Malaysia. No thanks to taxes and duties - it's known to have the second-highest car prices in the world after Singapore).

3. Well, I haven't even reached the first service yet (every 25000 km). But if my other Mercedeses are an indicator, it should be pretty reliable (better than Audi or BMW).

4. Nope, but then my GLC has a 6-cylinder engine.

My only issue is that it's a bit on the stiff side because it runs on the 21" 5-spoke rims, but that was the only type available.

gobiman 08-27-2017 07:29 AM

I looked at the following in UK -
F-Pace - didn't like look + questionable reliability/longevity
X3 - new model not out and no petrol in UK
SQ5 - didn't fancy the first year made in Mexico risk
Macan - 25% more expensive in my spec and a bit too aspirational for my taste. I wanted a Q-car to blend in
RR Velar - not yet out but way too expensive in UK + reliability query as for the Jag

Bought GLC43 outright through a broker with a 10% discount which made it around 20-25% less than equivalent Macan and F-Pace.
Very happy so far (on standard 19 rims) and no issues after 10 months and 6k.

decorily 08-27-2017 01:31 PM

Looked at VW Touareg 3.0 V6 Turbo diesel which is in my opinion a better car all round than the GLC 250d.
Having said that I am happy with most aspects of mine which I bought outright with my own hard earned cash!

yjchua 08-28-2017 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by decorily (Post 7250444)
Looked at VW Touareg 3.0 V6 Turbo diesel which is in my opinion a better car all round than the GLC 250d.
Having said that I am happy with most aspects of mine which I bought outright with my own hard earned cash!

The Touareg V6 TDI would be best compared with the GLC 350d (3.0 V6 diesel). Not sure if this exists anywhere else, but it's available in Australia and the UK.

g_ngan 08-28-2017 04:07 AM

• Q5 (not going to buy an old model), Tiguan (interior feels cheap) , X3 (not going to buy an old model) , CX-5 (interior feels cheap), Qashqai (drives bad and hate seeing the hump from the headlight in driver's position), Tucson (interior feels cheap but very cheap so was a serious contender), Sportage (hate the look), Macan (over budget), F-Pace(over budget), Vezel/HR-V (interior feels cheap and too small)
  • Bought it with cash
  • Hate the wipers. Tires jerk when the floor is wet (little traction) when Imake a U-turn (seems different to the crabbing issue). Plans to keep it for 3-5years but might sell it in second year due to bad mileage. I am getting 12L/100km for 70% highway and 30% city and I think that’s pretty bad.
  • Nope.

decorily 08-28-2017 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by yjchua (Post 7250755)
The Touareg V6 TDI would be best compared with the GLC 350d (3.0 V6 diesel). Not sure if this exists anywhere else, but it's available in Australia and the UK.

Yes the 350d would probably be a fairer comparison..... but in my opinion the Touareg would still come out on top if only for comfort and build quality.

Edit. Touareg is also substantially cheaper here.