MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC Class (X253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253-203/)
-   -   Dent and scratches before purchase (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/687024-dent-scratches-before-purchase.html)

taphil 10-26-2017 07:58 PM

Dent and scratches before purchase

Hoping to get some advice....

Local dealer has a GLC43 with the exact specs I want. There's only one other one like it available on the other side of the country. I took a look at it today but wasn't set on buying, and didn't talk about price. Before I left the dealer, I took a look at it again. There were two 1" long scratches in the black plastic trim above the exhaust (deep enough to see gray plastic underneath). And on the front bottom corner of a rear door there was a 0.5cm x 1.5cm dent in the door and the paint was scratched thru the clear coat down to the paint (diamond white metallic). Don't know WTF happened with the car do cause all that. Maybe just careless transport/delivery.

Since I haven't yet talked about price, what should I offer? I'm reading 6% off MSRP is easily doable. But how about the scratches and dent? Should I ask for more off MSRP or have the damages fixed before purchase?

taphil 10-26-2017 08:06 PM

BTW, the dent in the corner of the door is pushed inward slightly. Is that easily fixed and easily repainted?

larrypmyers 10-27-2017 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by taphil (Post 7296736)
Hoping to get some advice....

Local dealer has a GLC43 with the exact specs I want. There's only one other one like it available on the other side of the country. I took a look at it today but wasn't set on buying, and didn't talk about price. Before I left the dealer, I took a look at it again. There were two 1" long scratches in the black plastic trim above the exhaust (deep enough to see gray plastic underneath). And on the front bottom corner of a rear door there was a 0.5cm x 1.5cm dent in the door and the paint was scratched thru the clear coat down to the paint (diamond white metallic). Don't know WTF happened with the car do cause all that. Maybe just careless transport/delivery.

Since I haven't yet talked about price, what should I offer? I'm reading 6% off MSRP is easily doable. But how about the scratches and dent? Should I ask for more off MSRP or have the damages fixed before purchase?

Make the salesperson aware of the discrepancies you've discovered and inform him/her they need to be corrected prior to taking possession.

SawyerB 10-27-2017 11:48 AM

+1

dbldpr 10-27-2017 11:56 AM

Would not buy. It will never look perfect. Order what you want

JohnnyC 10-27-2017 12:35 PM

tell them to replace it.

mikbar2 10-27-2017 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyC (Post 7297231)
tell them to replace it.

I'd have them fix it and give some compensation on the price. When they get done you'll never know the defects were there.

taphil 10-28-2017 01:36 PM

Thanks for the advise. I went ahead and told dealer and bought the car. Got more than double the discount the other dealer on the other side of the country was willing to give, and the dent will be fixed at touched up. The dent really isn't so bad, the corner is bent inward maybe 1mm and the paint is scratched along the edge of the corner moreso than the surface of the door. The scratches on black plastic I will take as is, easily covered up with black Sharpie marker.