GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

2018 GLC300: Review and Recommendations

Old 01-03-2018, 09:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300 P01 selenite grey
2018 GLC300: Review and Recommendations

I just put 3K on my 2018 GLC300. In summary: I highly recommend the GLC to anyone looking for performance, safety, and luxury. My previous cars were BMW and Acura, for comparison.
1. performance: excellent acceleration, 0-60 in 6.5sec. In Sports mode you feel like you ride on a tiger, even without AWD. Love the steering feel.
2. fuel economy: I was truly impressed, so far 23mpg overall for a brand new car, and I drive Los Angeles, which is the worst traffic in America, and the worst drivers in the world. Highway I get over 30mpg.
3. electronics: I strongly recommend the smart phone integration package. It works great with google or siri, excellent voice recognition. Why bother with antiquated systems like Command which need constant updates from Benz?
4. luxury: MBtex is awesome, easy to clean and feels just like leather. The interior wood trim looks sleek, I get comments all the time from passengers. Very comfy seats.
5. reliability: I am perplexed with the Consumer Reports rant about the brakes noise. There is a fix for the older models. This is nuisance, not something that strands you on the highway. Thus it has nothing to do with "reliability" per se. CR has screwed up on this.
6. if you're thinking about other cars like Lexus or Acura: don't. Get the GLC instead. It costs less, is a better value, and more fun overall.
The following users liked this post:
carnutt (01-07-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 2018
No negative points?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300 P01 selenite grey
Originally Posted by DrGH
No negative points?
Nothing negative so far. And nothing that I would change about the GLC. I hope it stays that way!
Old 01-05-2018, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300 4matic
My 2018 Glc 300 4matic has a little over 1000 km, the break squicking started in the back up position, has now transition to the front as well. It is louder and way worse than when backing up. It goes in the shop Tuesday to replace break pads, cross fingers that it solves the issue. Apart from that I agree it’s a great SUV, I love it. I love the acoustic glass when playing tunes on the Burmeister speakers. The MBTex is nice & smooth, especially when heated. Can’t wait for spring/summer to take it for a ride and see what it’s really made of. I hope I still love it in the following months.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:49 AM

GLC
I pretty much agree with the review.

While I do love the vehicle, I do have some negatives. My negatives are: cheap looking real wood (looks fake), overly complicated instrumentation, whether programming a radio station, retrieving a text, making phone calls, etc., there are to many needless steps. Other negatives are mediocre map graphics, not showing Grace Notes album covers when using media, not showing contact pictures when using the phone, and the somewhat “low rent” appearance of dashboard gages. Features, such as these, are found even in econobox type vehicles, such as Honda Civics, Buick Encore, Hyundai's, etc. Interior lighting options, foot operated automatic tailgate and auto braking anti-collision features should be standard.

Last edited by carnutt; 01-07-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300
I have a 2018 with 1500 miles and no problems so far. Left turn signal wouldn't auto-reset after turning but other than that, no other initial defects.

My only complaint is that the standard brakes on the 18" wheels are underpowered. Had them checked out when the turn signal was fixed but came back with no problems found. Didn't notice this during the test drive but it's a real issue I haven't seen mentioned on any of the forums.

Steering is also a bit sloppy even in Sport mode but not a big deal for this type of SUV. Acceleration is great which is a major plus.

Overall it's a nice machine for the money and I'm happy with the purchase so far!

Last edited by brady; 01-07-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:35 PM

2018 GLC 300 , 2013 C300
2018 GLC 300 4matic

I have about 600 miles now. Its very comfortable, quiet and fun to drive. Highway mileage is ~30 ( premium gas ) - inside the city around 21 mpg.
Now for some stuff I expected more out of MB ( compared to the other 2013 C300 , which is even more fun to drive and not so fun to drive 2018 Kia).
The GLCs Premium driver assistance package which includes steering pilot and active lane keeping - both of which do not work as well as in my 2018-way-cheaper Kia; does a much better job - honestly); and I'm already wondering after reading about excessive tire wear issues -if the steering pilot and lane assist have anything to do with it - due to differential braking.
The blind spot warning does a pretty good job though.
The smart key works well - except I have'nt figured out how to get the passenger doors unlocked without physically using the key and double press. My Kia has a button on the door handle and a double press there does the job handily.
The voice recognition for the phone and navigation etc - absolutely frustrating and quite useless so far - again the Kia scores way higher ,unfortunately.

Some quirks ...if anyone else has seen this ....many times when I switch the airflow ( say from leg only to hands or some other mode etc.) I hear a knocking sound from the right side ( 8 rapid knocks.almost like a woodpecker) could be coming from the right side Brumster speaker ?...
Also I hear a fairly loud click from somewhere inside the dash when the steering pilot disengages and engages ( happens quite a lot with the snow and salt on the road )
Old 01-07-2018, 08:55 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by carnutt
I pretty much agree with the review.

While I do love the vehicle, I do have some negatives. My negatives are: cheap looking real wood (looks fake), overly complicated instrumentation, whether programming a radio station, retrieving a text, making phone calls, etc., there are to many needless steps. Other negatives are mediocre map graphics, not showing Grace Notes album covers when using media, not showing contact pictures when using the phone, and the somewhat “low rent” appearance of dashboard gages. Features, such as these, are found even in econobox type vehicles, such as Honda Civics, Buick Encore, Hyundai's, etc. Interior lighting options, foot operated automatic tailgate and auto braking anti-collision features should be standard.
i have the open pore wood and find it awesome - not cheap at all. also i find the dashboard gauges high end
agree with you on the electronics / bav. resolution could be better and not terribly intuitive. tailgate/auto brake / etc as standard agreed 100%
Old 01-09-2018, 02:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MB GLC250
Originally Posted by 2018GLC300
The smart key works well - except I have'nt figured out how to get the passenger doors unlocked without physically using the key and double press. My Kia has a button on the door handle and a double press there does the job handily.
If your vehicle is configured the same as mine....
On the Keyfob ....press and hold both the "lock" and "unlock" buttons for about six seconds, until the battery check light flashes twice.
This action should change the default lock/unlock to 'all doors'.

To restore the setting repeat above ...now first press of unlock will open driver's door and fuel filler ...second press will open passenger doors.

your option as to which setting to have. Note it also modifies the unlocking via the door handles if you have Keyless-go option.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MB GLC250
The GLCs Premium driver assistance package which includes steering pilot and active lane keeping - both of which do not work as well as in my 2018-way-cheaper Kia; does a much better job - honestly).
The voice recognition for the phone and navigation etc - absolutely frustrating and quite useless so far - again the Kia scores way higher ,unfortunately.
Hi,
I have not driven another car with these functions , so have nothing to compare to ...can you expand on how the Kia is better??
Old 01-09-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
many times when I switch the airflow ( say from leg only to hands or some other mode etc.) I hear a knocking sound from the right side ( 8 rapid knocks.almost like a woodpecker) could be coming from the right side Brumster speaker ?...
This sounds like a stripped gear on a blend door. Definitely something the dealer should look at.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:59 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by brady
I have a 2018 with 1500 miles and no problems so far. Left turn signal wouldn't auto-reset after turning but other than that, no other initial defects.

My only complaint is that the standard brakes on the 18" wheels are underpowered. Had them checked out when the turn signal was fixed but came back with no problems found. Didn't notice this during the test drive but it's a real issue I haven't seen mentioned on any of the forums.

Steering is also a bit sloppy even in Sport mode but not a big deal for this type of SUV. Acceleration is great which is a major plus.

Overall it's a nice machine for the money and I'm happy with the purchase so far!
Surprised to see this comment about the brakes. I have the 18” wheels and find the brakes more than adequate. If you look at the front rotors, you’ll notice they’re quite a bit larger than the rear rotors.....an engineering effort that recognizes the front brakes bear the brunt of braking action. And I have “panic” braked a couple of times and the brake pedal obviously was primed and firmer due the quick release of the accelerator. Makes me think something must be wrong with yours, but don’t know since you’ve had them checked. “Not mentioned on the forums” should probably be interpreted to mean it is not a problem for most Owners.

Also surprised about the steering being “a bit sloppy”. I have about 3,500 miles on my ‘18 GLC300 and while my driving style is certainly not aggressive, for those considering a GLC300, I would describe the steering as crisp and quite responsive. It’s a real pleasure to drive around town in traffic. I should probably mention an evasive maneuver I had to make to avoid a potential accident at 60 MPH was accomplished with no loss of control and a big sigh of relief.

Not trying to diminish Brady’s concerns here. Just wanted to share my experiences FWIW.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:23 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
One complaint and one solution.....

I wish you you could turn off the Auto Stop/Start function and have it STAY off. I don’t like it and find it annoying and turn it off every time I start my car. My wife’s X3 remembers that it was turned off last time it was driven, so problem solved. I think I could set up a customized driving mode with that function turned off, but again, I believe you’re required to select that mode each time you start the car. Since I’m happy with the driving modes available, I may as well just press the button to turn off the Auto Stop/Start function. My displeasure with this feature comes from having driven a Highlander Hybrid and a Prius for 11 years. Being hybrids, they by definition have an Auto Stop/Start function that works flawlessly and quietly.

Now my solution to another annoyance.....I saw a discussion somewhere about how annoying it can be when you wash your GLC to have the doors lock and unlock and the mirrors fold up as you wash around door handles. The simple solution is to leave your key fob in the car (maybe in a drink holder in the front lift up compartment) when you wash your car. It doesn’t do a thing then because it “knows” the key is inside and will not lock the car. I tried leaving the key on a porch next to my driveway and even further away and it would still lock and unlock incessantly.

Hope that helps someone!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:21 PM

2018 GLC 300 , 2013 C300
Loud clicking noise when airflow settings are changed

This is a follow up to the question I posed in Jan,..relates to a clicking or knocking ( like a wood pecker ) noise from the right side front door area - happens when you switch the airflow
- from say foot only to hand or defrost - any change you make with that adjustment. All of this was during fairly cold weather 15-25F.
MB service says the airflow distribution valve ( its buried inside somewhere behind the glove compartment) is faulty and they have to replace it. But first they have to see if lubricating that mechanism fixes it - so that required a day at the shop - but that did not fix it.So it appears the next visit will get the distribution valve replaced.
Another issue : from time to time I would get a red warning message ( "parking brake - refer to the manual " - or something similar ). Turns out the parking brake auto release was not fully working and would not release all the way so as to tell the sensor that it's disengaged...and that triggered these warning messages. Same problem with my C300 except there, only symptom was the parking brake light would not go out. In both the cases the parking brake mechanism had to be replaced. I think this is a cold weather problem with stuff that is 'sticking'.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 C43 Coupe, Iridium silver; 2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by stath
I just put 3K on my 2018 GLC300. In summary: I highly recommend the GLC to anyone looking for performance, safety, and luxury. My previous cars were BMW and Acura, for comparison.
1. performance: excellent acceleration, 0-60 in 6.5sec. In Sports mode you feel like you ride on a tiger, even without AWD. Love the steering feel.
2. fuel economy: I was truly impressed, so far 23mpg overall for a brand new car, and I drive Los Angeles, which is the worst traffic in America, and the worst drivers in the world. Highway I get over 30mpg.
3. electronics: I strongly recommend the smart phone integration package. It works great with google or siri, excellent voice recognition. Why bother with antiquated systems like Command which need constant updates from Benz?
4. luxury: MBtex is awesome, easy to clean and feels just like leather. The interior wood trim looks sleek, I get comments all the time from passengers. Very comfy seats.
5. reliability: I am perplexed with the Consumer Reports rant about the brakes noise. There is a fix for the older models. This is nuisance, not something that strands you on the highway. Thus it has nothing to do with "reliability" per se. CR has screwed up on this.
6. if you're thinking about other cars like Lexus or Acura: don't. Get the GLC instead. It costs less, is a better value, and more fun overall.
Got a 2017 that ordered new right off boat. Am also still very happy with this rig. Got about 10K miles on it with zero issues.That 4 cyl engine is amazing for such a heavy vehicle. I use it as a daily driver and just go around town in comfort mode but with sport steering engaged. Get consistent 30+ mpg.
Great utility vehicle for us and the dog.

For fun, drive my '18 AMG c43 coupe I just got. Both are German made and appear high quality vs some remarks I have seen pertaining to 'bama built cars, ie C43 sedan.
Both of these cars, IMO, offer great value for what you get vs competition.

Is the '18 GLC 300 still made overseas?
Old 03-14-2018, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
18 GLC is made in either Bremen or in Finland for US market.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by stath
I guarantee if you had the back-up brake squealing issue (not sure if this is the same thing referred to in CR, or if it happens in 2018 models still), you would not think it a 'nuisance' only! I 'rely' on my car not to be making ear drum disrupting noises when backing up out of the garage.

Fortunately they finally did come out with a fix. Though the occasional shriek does still emanate.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 ML350 and 2018 GLC
Today my GLC is Two months old with 2000 miles on the odometer. The car is just great, in fact perfect. I do not have any of the issues that others have complained about such as brake squeal, shuttering wipers, wind noise or poor ride. Here are my impressions so far:

1. Ride with the 18 inch standard wheels and tires is smooth and quite. Just be sure to adjust the tire pressure to the factory recommended 32 psi. When It was delivered from the dealer it had 40 psi all around!
2. Very quite at highway speed and no wind noise but I opted out of the Panorama sunroof and glad I did.
3. I have the Multi media package and It is a vast improvement over my 2009 ML350. Since I was used to that system, I find the new system easy to use, voice commands work well, presets for radio vastly improved, navigation system works smoothly, even when using voice command
4. I’m getting 25.6 MPG overall which is more than I was expecting and have gotten 29.9 MPG on the highway.
5. Wipers were a little jittery when I first received the car but a windshield treatment of RainX solved that problem.
6. I ordered the Premium Driver Assistance Package and recently took a 700 mile trip from Pennsylvania to South Carolina, arriving refreshed in spite of traveling in heavy traffic down I95. The adaptive cruise control, lane centering and steering assist took the stress out of the trip.
5. The only annoyance is the Auto Stop/Start system. But that was solved by shutting it off on the Individual Driving Configuation. So, I start the car and three flicks of the toggle switch eliminates the issue.
6. Run Flat tires are of no concern and I’m glad to know I will never again have to change a flat on the side of the road.

After owning a number of high end and sports cars, including BMW and Mercedes Benz, this is proving to be one of my favorites! But you need to build it with the right options. Stay away from things that look good but do nothing to improve drivability, like 20 inch wheels and Panoramic sunroofs that are heavy, noisy and could shatter.