GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

COMMAND Voice & Nav vs Apple CarPlay Siri & Maps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota
COMMAND Voice & Nav vs Apple CarPlay Siri & Maps

Does anyone have experience with both COMMAND voice control and/or Garmin and Apple CarPlay using Siri? I really want smart phone integration so have decided on CarPlay. But when we travel my husband does most of the driving, and I don’t want my phone tied up for hours and hours. So I thought to get the Garmin card to use at those times. I wouldn’t need voice then, and he doesn’t like high tech stuff too much so wouldn’t use voice control. But the Garmin seems a bit elementary. Can you share your experiences? Hoping that will help with my decision. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2018, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 300
I have a similar question. Just bought a GLC 300 with CarPlay, which is great. Thinking about getting a Garmin SD card, however, for times when it would be useful as noted above. Do they play well together? If I put in the SD card will CarPlay still work? And, if so, can you toggle back and forth between them or does the SD card somehow affect use of CarPlay?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2018, 11:14 AM

Toyota
Plugging Your Phone in

CarPlay and the Garmin Sd card are compatible. You would have to leave the CarPlay screen to use it. That shouldn’t affect music playing in the background from your phone though. This info is from all I have read and watched in info-videos. Hopefully someone else who has both can answer definitively.

You don’t mind plugging and unplugging your phone every time you get in and out of your car? That’s my biggest issue with MB’s CarPlay integration.

The other issue is that it won’t play nice with COMAND in the GLC. I’m hesitant to go with ONLY CarPlay/Android Auto. Other MB’s don’t have that problem. The smartphone option is in addition to COMAND. This still hasn’t been resolved for MY 2019.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 300
Thanks Sheddah for your quick response. Plugging in isn't ideal, but even more of a pain is the fact that we have to reinitialize the connection if we switch phones (which requires going through the whole sequence again while in park).

With respect to my question, I thought I had read somewhere that the voice commands stop working for CarPlay if you have the Garmin SD card installed because it also uses the voice command button. I am hoping that is not true and I can toggle between the two, using voice commands when using Navi and the SD card and using voice commands also when using CarPlay instead.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-08-2018, 01:05 PM

Toyota
Garmin Voice Control

I have the Garmin SD user manual (downloaded). For voice control it says to just press the voice button on your steering wheel.

I know that for Siri you have to L O N G press on the voice button to activate.

Also I just watched a video where a CLA was outfitted with Garmin Map Pilot AND CarPlay. He demonstrated where you can use either the MB Audio 20 with Garmin as your Nav, OR use CarPlay. Both systems could not be used simultaneously.

Last edited by Sheddah; 04-08-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 gl450
Originally Posted by Sheddah
I have the Garmin SD user manual (downloaded). For voice control it says to just press the voice button on your steering wheel.

I know that for Siri you have to L O N G press on the voice button to activate.

Also I just watched a video where a CLA was outfitted with Garmin Map Pilot AND CarPlay. He demonstrated where you can use either the MB Audio 20 with Garmin as your Nav, OR use CarPlay. Both systems could not be used simultaneously.
I have both Garmin Maps and Smart Phone integration. You cannot run both at the same time. I use Android Auto. If your phone is attached it takes priority over Garmin Maps. The NAV button and voice button on the steering wheel will control Android Auto. If you want to use Garmin Maps you have to either disconnect your phone or exit Android Auto. Once Garmin Maps is active the NAV Button and Voice Button on the steering wheel will now control Garmin Maps.

Someone mentioned reinitializing Android Auto/Apple Car Play every time a different phone is used. I don't have that problem, but I use Android Auto, so maybe it is an issue with Apple Car Play only.

BTW, loving Android Auto, would not get a car without it. Disappointed I was forced to get the 7 inch screen, but definitely made the right decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by nywe12:
DDGator (04-09-2018), waylo (04-10-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 gl450
Originally Posted by nywe12
I have both Garmin Maps and Smart Phone integration. You cannot run both at the same time. I use Android Auto. If your phone is attached it takes priority over Garmin Maps. The NAV button and voice button on the steering wheel will control Android Auto. If you want to use Garmin Maps you have to either disconnect your phone or exit Android Auto. Once Garmin Maps is active the NAV Button and Voice Button on the steering wheel will now control Garmin Maps.

Someone mentioned reinitializing Android Auto/Apple Car Play every time a different phone is used. I don't have that problem, but I use Android Auto, so maybe it is an issue with Apple Car Play only.

BTW, loving Android Auto, would not get a car without it. Disappointed I was forced to get the 7 inch screen, but definitely made the right decision.
One more thing, SendToBenz works with Garmin Maps.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:39 AM

Toyota
Great Information

Thanks for your replies! You answered a lot of my questions about these alternate options to COMAND.

Do you have the latest or upgraded (2017-2018) Garmin? How do you find the navigation, traffic and voice control in relation to accuracy and speed?

Also is plugging and unplugging your phone and storing it in the armrest inconvenient? I ask because I’m in and out of my car and often take short trips. I don’t think I would do all that unless I was going to be in the car for a while.

I’m also wondering if the system has to reinitialize when changing from an Android to an Apple phone, vice versa, or with Apple CarPlay only.

i don’t know why Daimler is so slow to adopt new technology. We should be able to have both COMAND and WIRELESS Smartphone Integration. And where is the touch screen? Instead we get a stupid touch controller that doesn’t work well! Mercedes is supposed to be innovative and in the forefront not lagging behind. Sigh...

Last edited by Sheddah; 04-09-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by Sheddah
i don’t know why Daimler is so slow to adopt new technology. We should be able to have both COMAND and WIRELESS Smartphone Integration. And where is the touch screen? Instead we get a stupid touch controller that doesn’t work well! Mercedes is supposed to be innovative and in the forefront not lagging behind. Sigh...
This +1000. My biggest complaint with the GLC and I let all of the surveys I've received know about this as a first time MB'er. Almost kept me from acquiring the GLC. To make things worse, this option (COMAND AND integrated ACP/AA) is available on the less-expensive GLA, but for some reason, MB sticks the vehicle in one of the hottest segments with having to choose one or the other. I even mentioned in one of the surveys I'd pay for a MB retrofit to make this work. "The "almost" Best or Nothing..."