New Mercedes user - questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 220 AMG Premium
New Mercedes user - questions

Hi,

Just had a new GLC220D AMG Premium delivered yesterday.

24 hours of frustration so far and I am the idiot who reads all the manuals.... :-)

Mercedes Me was a nightmare to setup. But that is another story.

I cannot find in the manuals.. or hours of going through menus.

1. How to change the Bass/Treble
2. How to get the satnav to use the address book from my iPhone which I can view on the car display screen
3. How to use the Voice Control system to make a phone call - ‘Call John Smith’ results in stony silence, it seems to only support satnav type words - but that would be pretty weird to have a voice control that can only do satnav...
4. How to keep frequent phone numbers in a favourites - ie people on my Favourites List on my iPhone would be a great start. Going through my contacts list would take longer than most of my journeys

I am sure there is a simple answer to all of these and really obvious, but after 24 hours of manual reading and sitting in the car I am stumped.

any pointers much appreciated

Mike
The following users liked this post:
taphil (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 300
I have a GLC 300 and do not have Command but I believe these instructions (on page 30) are what you need: https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...13_B_small.pdf

With respect to your iPhone, just to get the obvious out of the way, have you actually paired it yet? You need to pair it for voice commands to work.

Scott
Old 06-21-2018, 03:08 PM

GLC 220 AMG Premium
@scoho

thanks - yes the iPhone is paired.

i can scroll through my contacts on the phone.

I can go into the address of a contact but cannot get the satnav to go to that address.

I don’t have Comand either
Old 06-21-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 300
Hi Busta999. I was confused, and I have exactly the same situation you do. I use CarPlay much of the time and the SD card navigation less. When using the latter, I understand that voice commands only work for navigation. I get around it by saying “hey Siri” to make voice calls, get text messages, etc., which do come through the speakers then. Not elegant, but it works when not plugged into CarPlay.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:43 PM

GLC 220 AMG Premium
Progress!

found the treble and bass controls!

now to figure out why the voice control cannot make phone calls or satnav use addresses loaded from the bt phone
Old 06-21-2018, 03:44 PM

GLC 220 AMG Premium
CarPlay not available as an option here :-(

that would be easiest....
Old 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
Originally Posted by Busta999
Progress!

found the treble and bass controls!

now to figure out why the voice control cannot make phone calls or satnav use addresses loaded from the bt phone
voice control requires the COMAND option.

The manual can be confusing because it doesn't explain what option package/equipment the car needs for things that are described in the manual.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:25 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
@scoho

thanks - yes the iPhone is paired.

i can scroll through my contacts on the phone.

I can go into the address of a contact but cannot get the satnav to go to that address.

I don’t have Comand either
some of the addresses in my phone will show up and likewise cant navigate to an address. even though my phone clearly shows the contact has an address
i read somewhere else here that COMAND can be very finicky with contacts, and if everything is not perfect then it wont transfer address. this seems to be happening to me, especially since some contacts have address and work properly
Old 06-22-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Just an fyi, when we got our 2016 glc, I couldn't get the garage door opener to work. Called the dealer and they sent a tech to the house. The problem was in the manuals directions. They were wrong. Just because the manual says something doesn't make it correct. Take your car to the dealer and tell them what you want programmed and let them deal with it.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300 P01 selenite grey
Without Carplay, you can link the phone with Bluetooth. Then you can still make voice calls by pressing the "voice" button on the wheel, then you hear a tone and then you say 'call x x'.

I agree that some of the manual is written in a non-user friendly way. Not as bad as Chinese manuals, but not as good as it should be.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by mikbar2
Just an fyi, when we got our 2016 glc, I couldn't get the garage door opener to work. Called the dealer and they sent a tech to the house. The problem was in the manuals directions. They were wrong. Just because the manual says something doesn't make it correct. Take your car to the dealer and tell them what you want programmed and let them deal with it.
upon delivery I received a sheet of paper from the dealer with instructions on how to program the garage door opener. Even with this it took a few tries bit it did work
Old 06-23-2018, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
They can't programme the garage door opener at the dealers, it has to be done within range of the garage door.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Originally Posted by Philamg
They can't programme the garage door opener at the dealers, it has to be done within range of the garage door.
If you reread my thread, I stated that the dealer sent a tech to my house.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by mikbar2
If you reread my thread, I stated that the dealer sent a tech to my house.
You also said: "Take your car to the dealer and tell them what you want programmed and let them deal with it." after saying the tech came to your house to programme the garage door opener. Owners reading your post could be confused into thinking it could be done at the dealers.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:34 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 ML350
Hi,

Just had a new GLC220D AMG Premium delivered yesterday.

24 hours of frustration so far and I am the idiot who reads all the manuals.... :-)

Mercedes Me was a nightmare to setup. But that is another story.

I cannot find in the manuals.. or hours of going through menus.

2. How to get the satnav to use the address book from my iPhone which I can view on the car display screen
3. How to use the Voice Control system to make a phone call - ‘Call John Smith’ results in stony silence, it seems to only support satnav type words - but that would be pretty weird to have a voice control that can only do satnav...
4. How to keep frequent phone numbers in a favourites - ie people on my Favourites List on my iPhone would be a great start. Going through my contacts list would take longer than most of my journeys

I am sure there is a simple answer to all of these and really obvious, but after 24 hours of manual reading and sitting in the car I am stumped.

Mike
Try searching for Youtube videos. These are often better than the directions in the manual.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:58 PM

****when in radio screen push bitton up choose radio and its in teh settings

****choose destination in COMAND menu then choose from contacts. not does not work for all addresses

****choose a contact (once your phone is paired), then press and hold star button and it will put it in the favorites menu accessed by tapping the star button

Mike
[/QUOTE]