MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC Class (X253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253-203/)
-   -   Front tire humming noise (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/733451-front-tire-humming-noise.html)

chalie 01-20-2019 06:21 AM

Front tire humming noise

Hi Guys,
I have 255/45-20 and 285/40 -20 Michelin Latitude Sport3 on my 2017 250d GLC Coupe (RHD) and having both crabbing and humming tires noise at all speed.

From articles, with crabbing I think it comes with RHD version and no solution for us so far, right. If yes, please let me learn. I live in Bangkok so no temperature dropping concern.

Since I have the car, the humming sound from the front tires at low speed is there (except on the well new paved asphalt surface) and getting worst after few thousand miles. This morning I went to the tire shop and tried 2 different made sets of old tires to check for the noise and all were making the same noise, more or less. I do not wish to spend on new set of tires where the problem is still there.
Wonder if you guys are having the same issue and how you solved the humming noise.

Thanks,

decorily 01-20-2019 06:53 AM

With regard to the humming noise I think you have answered your own question .... you say different road surfaces change the noise from the tyres. This is to be expected.

chalie 01-20-2019 08:40 AM

Thank, It wasn't just that. Not due to the kind of road surface but more from the suspension components that do not absorbing the vibrations.

rocky raccoon 01-20-2019 08:52 AM

Probably wheel alignment. Examine the tire tread closely to look for "feathering" of the edges (a slight flexible ridge on one side). If present, the tires are being dragged slightly sideways. That would cause the sound and also shorten the life of your tires.

Assume tire pressures are correct. Too high can cause increased road noise.

chalie 01-28-2019 08:17 AM

Hi,

Right more PSI more noise but I went down to 30 psi which is red zone for 45 profile and still noise
Today I went to MB service and asked for different make tires for test and they let me try brand new ContiSportContact set from demo car but the noise is still there though is a little less.

Wonder if this could be from the suspension, i.e front springs or springs mounts

Thanks

chalie 03-19-2019 10:20 AM

After couple of test on a new GLC Coupe in the past few months to investigate my problem I came to the conclusion that models with spring coils tend to have a serious road noise (from low speed on ward) than model with air sus. With a higher profile tires such as 255/50-19 the noise is also less compare to 255/45-20 and 255/40-21.

I wonder if changing front coil springs to a special makers such as KW or Eibach would reduce the road noise.

Krabbe 11-25-2019 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by chalie (Post 7709239)
After couple of test on a new GLC Coupe in the past few months to investigate my problem I came to the conclusion that models with spring coils tend to have a serious road noise (from low speed on ward) than model with air sus. With a higher profile tires such as 255/50-19 the noise is also less compare to 255/45-20 and 255/40-21.

I wonder if changing front coil springs to a special makers such as KW or Eibach would reduce the road noise.

Hi
do you have any final conclusion regarding the noise caused by Road surface??
I have the exact same problem.

2020GLC300 11-27-2019 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by chalie (Post 7709239)

I doubt changing springs would make any improvement, but perhaps adding a rubber isolator on the top and/or bottom of the spring would help, if it doesn't already have them.

Something like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Moog-Coi...B&gclsrc=aw.ds