MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC Class (X253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253-203/)
-   -   can I replace my Extended Mobility tires with regular tires? What about the spare? (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/733770-can-i-replace-my-extended-mobility-tires-regular-tires-what-about-spare.html)

jorgevg73 01-23-2019 11:05 AM

can I replace my Extended Mobility tires with regular tires? What about the spare?

I have a 2015 GLK 350 that came with extended mobility tires and no spare. I am tired of the tires (no pun intended). Can I just replace them with regular tires and buy a spare? will the spare fit in the cargo space?

larrypmyers 01-23-2019 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by jorgevg73 (Post 7661818)
I have a 2015 GLK 350 that came with extended mobility tires and no spare. I am tired of the tires (no pun intended). Can I just replace them with regular tires and buy a spare? will the spare fit in the cargo space?

No problem fitting your GLK with conventional tires. You will, however, need to acquire a jack and lug wrench. And if you opt for a compact spare, which most everyone does, you will also need peculiar lug nuts that fit the spare wheel. And remember the spare has the same speed and distance limitations as a zero pressure run flat.

A disadvantage is there are no provisions to properly stow the spare as it most likely will not fit in the stowage compartment behind the rear seats. In the event of a panic stop or roll over accident its likely the tire will be rocketing around inside the vehicle.

What don't you like about your run flats?

Do a search. There have many owners who have done the same thing your contemplating. Lots of good info.

jorgevg73 01-24-2019 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by larrypmyers (Post 7661859)
No problem fitting your GLK with conventional tires. You will, however, need to acquire a jack and lug wrench. And if you opt for a compact spare, which most everyone does, you will also need peculiar lug nuts that fit the spare wheel. And remember the spare has the same speed and distance limitations as a zero pressure run flat.

A disadvantage is there are no provisions to properly stow the spare as it most likely will not fit in the stowage compartment behind the rear seats. In the event of a panic stop or roll over accident its likely the tire will be rocketing around inside the vehicle.

What don't you like about your run flats?

Do a search. There have many owners who have done the same thing your contemplating. Lots of good info.

Thank you, Larry. This is helpful. I did some digging around. i think I should be able to fit the spare in the stowage compartment. I just wonder if there have been any other GLK users who have done the same. My car came with jack and lug wrench. I just don't have the air compressor (the one that connects to the cigarette lighter.)

Flubadub 01-27-2019 02:59 PM

You might want to post in the GLK forum. This is GLC.

ajmtbm 02-01-2019 05:32 PM

i have heard good things about the Bridgestone Driveguards
Unfortunately in 18" size they only come 235/55R19 versus 235/60R18 which is the stock size.
overall height is just shy of an inch less.
is it safe to say there will be adverse effect on the vehicle by subbing this size?
the looks are another matter - i am concerned they may look small but may be willing to give them a shot to see if feasible.

Sigp232 02-01-2019 10:46 PM

Changed the 19 inch Continental RFT on my 17 glc to Michelin Defender LTX night and day difference. Smooth and quiet the way a Mercedes should be. No spare or tire goo with me only Triple AAA and extended hazard warranty on new tires. Never again RFT.

ajmtbm 02-02-2019 02:15 PM

i myself was thinking to try the michelin as well. Three year road service from Michelin included in the purchase is a nice touch.

DrSchteeve 03-17-2019 02:06 PM

Run flats suck, in general. In the GLC (and other Mercedes) they make a firm ride harsher. Personally I take my chances with regular tires (I swap out the run flats as soon as they begin to reach tread life) without a spare. That's one reason I have Triple A.

Sigp232 03-17-2019 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by DrSchteeve (Post 7707719)
Run flats suck, in general. In the GLC (and other Mercedes) they make a firm ride harsher. Personally I take my chances with regular tires (I swap out the run flats as soon as they begin to reach tread life) without a spare. That's one reason I have Triple A.

👍