MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC Class (X253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253-203/)
-   -   2018 GLC300 voice control issue (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/735394-2018-glc300-voice-control-issue.html)

emccallum 02-08-2019 11:30 PM

2018 GLC300 voice control issue

Every time I press the voice control button it goes straight to navigation. I have read through as much stuff as I can find and I cant figure out why it does this? What am I missing? If I hold down the voice button I can talk straight to the phone, but I cant press the voice button and say "call name", it always goes to nav. Thanks.

fabbrisd1 02-09-2019 12:27 AM

If you have Audio 20 - then Voice Portal is Nav only - if COMAND then Voice Portal has broader function ....

emccallum 02-09-2019 01:03 AM

Hmmm. When we got the car I remember the salesman making my wife say a bunch of numbers to set up the voice recognition. Now I cant find that section in the "settings" menu. Its like someone took out the feature. The only thing I can think of that changed is the dealer sent me a Nav SD card and I installed it. I tried taking the card out but it didnt change anything.

My wife drives the car, so I cant say for sure if it was working, but she told me tonight, when we were in it, that it wasnt working right. So, it must have worked before. I guess I need to call the dealer. I tried to reset the system but that didnt help.

fabbrisd1 02-09-2019 03:03 AM

If you have NavCard - then you have Audio 20 - iff you also have CarPlay/AndroidAuto - connect phone with USB cable.. then Voice Portal should access/Siri/GoogleVoice

rustybear3 02-09-2019 05:14 AM

Take it back to the dealer and have him show or make good again how he did it. Under warranty, no?

emccallum 02-09-2019 07:47 AM

Wife says voice activation to make calls worked and stopped. It is under warranty so I am going to take it back to them.

waylo 02-10-2019 10:11 PM

I think what you're experiencing is how it's supposed to be, as it responds that same way on ours? Unless we have the iPhone plugged in, then a single push pulls up Siri. Please fill us in on what your resolution is and what the dealer says.

emccallum 02-11-2019 09:53 AM

Possibly, but it doesnt match what i read in the manual or as I remember it working when we first got he car. I think installing the nav SD card changed it.

One press of the voice button brings up NAV. Holding the voice button a longer time brings up SIri. I think it is supposed to give me options when I press the voice button. radio, telephone, nav, etc. Or it seems I dont have that option, and only became apparent when NAV was installed.

I have never owned a car that the voice button didnt do several feautures

waylo 02-11-2019 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by emccallum (Post 7678634)
Possibly, but it doesnt match what i read in the manual or as I remember it working when we first got he car. I think installing the nav SD card changed it.

One press of the voice button brings up NAV. Holding the voice button a longer time brings up SIri. I think it is supposed to give me options when I press the voice button. radio, telephone, nav, etc. Or it seems I dont have that option, and only became apparent when NAV was installed.

I have never owned a car that the voice button didnt do several feautures

Agreed, my wife also recalls it working differently before I 'improved' it by installing the SD Nav! Does long press of the button, without CarPlay, bring up those other voice options?

emccallum 02-11-2019 03:18 PM

When we bought the car I remember the salesman going through the voice recognition stuff with my wife. Saying stuff over and over, so it learned her voice. That option is no longer in the menu?? I tried to reset all the data and start fresh, but that didnt help. Hopefully, there is some kind of update to correct this, as the nav is not something we use very often.

emccallum 02-11-2019 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by waylo (Post 7678717)
Does long press of the button, without CarPlay, bring up those other voice options?

No, a long press of the button goes straight to SIRI. The other functions, like radio, are not there.

waylo 02-12-2019 01:37 AM

I wrote without Carplay, meaning no iphone connected. (It can't bring up Siri if the Iphone is not connected). If it's long pressed then, without an iphone connected, what does it do?

emccallum 02-12-2019 08:06 AM

If the i -phone is NOT connected via the cord and you press the voice button for an extended time, siri comes up and you can say "call home" and it makes a call via bluetooth.

If no phone is connected (USB or BT) and you press the voice button for a long time, I think it says no phone connected.

If phone is plugged into the proper USB port, then Carplay is activated.

My wife doesnt like to connect her phone ever time she gets in the car, so she just presses and holds the voice button to make a call.

My Ford F250 just works like a redneck designed it....simple.

emccallum 02-12-2019 09:38 AM

I did speak to the dealer yesterday, and it seems to be working as designed. Both of us believe the addition of the SD card nav changed the way it works. I wish I had not installed the SD card. The dealer said most people dont buy the SD card if they have Carplay, because they use the phone for directions. That makes perfect sense to me. With that he admitted he has never checked the voice features before and after SD card install and didnt want to test one, as the SD card cost money to use and is car specific. I am an hour from the dealer, and I may try and stop by there one day and see if they can "uninstall" the nav, as taking the SD card out doesnt seem to make a difference.

waylo 02-12-2019 04:20 PM

Wow, good to know, and appreciate the follow-through. Too bad this user installed 'feature' is not easily uninstalled and irreversibly affects the function of the multimedia unit!

I got the SD card option partially because my wife isn't so techy and wasn't sure she'd want the hassle of plugging in the iPhone, but she's gotten used to it now. Also the native COMAND software is the worst thing I've ever seen attempt to pass as GPS software.

EDIT: I'm going to say you're lucky that with an attached iPhone, at least you get some Siri response with a long press. If I attach my Android, there iis no response of any kind with a long press, so I'm stuck with the lousy nav prompts only!

MBGLC300@ 02-22-2019 11:57 PM

I am having the same exact issue on a new 2019 GLC 300 I bought last weekend. It works fine with Apple Car Play when phone connected. When phone is only connected via Bluetooth, I have to do the long push and go through phone to call. No other function works, every time I do a quick push it goes to navigation and says no navigation card. My husband got a GLS450 and in his car you can do a short push and adjust the radio and everything else under the sun. As far as I know there was never a navigation card in car. I am going to the dealer tomorrow and will ask about that as it is quite frustrating!

emccallum 02-23-2019 09:16 AM

Please post back and let us know what your dealer says. I am an hour from the dealer and haven't had the time to spend going up there, for them to scratch their chins.

waylo 02-23-2019 08:34 PM

I wonder if some sort of software upgrade (if even available) will restore some functionality here. If it behaves poorly on a 2019, I am not optimistic.

MBGLC300@ 02-24-2019 04:01 PM

I have some bad news. I talked to the concierge and he said that in the GLC you either get command OR Apple Play. If you have Apple Play as an option then the command center voice prompt only works for Navigation and that's why it keeps saying the sd card is missing. In my husband's GLS you get both, Apple Car play AND voice commands for everything from Radio stations to seat warmers. I was pretty disappointed. There is no way to change this as he told me. So if I need directions I use Apple Car Play. If I want to just get in the car quick and go somewhere, I don't normally plug my phone in so I use it connected to Bluetooth. So basically the audio functionality of the GLC300 is all linked through the phone whether with Apple Car Play or Bluetooth/Siri. The quick one push does nothing if you don't have the SD navigation card which I wouldn't need to get as I prefer Google maps. My husband has both and he is very lucky, the concierge said it was unusual to have both so he lucked out. He can even adjust temperature and such with only voice. Hope this helps, let me know if you hear anything different.

KHC 12-04-2019 02:56 PM

Did you ever get this fixed? I bought a 2019 GLC300 and having same problem. Calling from the steering wheel worked, until I purchased a Nav card and inserted. Now I can't make a handsfree call unless my phone is plugged in. I removed the Nav card and did a factory reset. Still not working. They shouldnt put in a slot for a Nav card, if it interferes with the system. Very dissapointed with car - almost to the point of taking the hit and selling it. First and last Mercedes. Absolutely no problems with other vehicles.

emccallum 12-04-2019 03:23 PM

No, I never got it fixed. I did have a chat with the technology "guru" at the dealer and he went and checked another car on the lot and said it worked the same. He swore putting in the Nav card would not have changed the voice control. I am pretty sure it did, but I he said it was because of the package as described in another earlier post. I gave up. Stupid system.