MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC Class (X253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253-203/)
-   -   Is 2019 GLC 300 made in Germany or Finland? (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/736219-2019-glc-300-made-germany-finland.html)

VancityGLC 02-18-2019 10:41 AM

Is 2019 GLC 300 made in Germany or Finland?

Hi Everyone;

So the first 3-letters of the VIN number of my 2019 GLC 300 says WDC, which to my knowledge means Germany made by Benz/Daimler. But the main sticker on the diver-side door frame says "Made In Finland". So where is the car actually made?

chassis 02-18-2019 12:07 PM

If it says made in Finland, it’s made in Finland.

WDC means Daimler Chrysler.

What is the full VIN? If there is a V it is the Valmet facility in Finland. If F, G, or H then it is Bremen. GLCs are also made in Asia.

VancityGLC 02-18-2019 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by chassis (Post 7684410)
If it says made in Finland, it’s made in Finland.

WDC means Daimler Chrysler.

What is the full VIN? If there is a V it is the Valmet facility in Finland. If F, G, or H then it is Bremen. GLCs are also made in Asia.

But isn't the first W means the manufacturer plant is in Germany?
Full VIN is WDC0G4KB2KV120383

dieseldoc 02-18-2019 12:13 PM

The V in the VIN stands for Valmet. Some cars are also being made in India for the US market. The dealership I do business with has gotten several of them.

chassis 02-18-2019 12:14 PM

No, the vehicle was made in Finland as designated by the V in the 11th position.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicl...Benz/VIN_Codes

6G Schnell 03-02-2019 11:17 PM

Both statements are true: GLC is made in Finland and in Bremen, Germany.

Dennis P. Gluth 03-05-2019 05:13 PM

Is there any difference in quality coming from the different factories?

Dennis P.

mike7ee 03-06-2019 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis P. Gluth (Post 7698099)
Is there any difference in quality coming from the different factories?
Dennis P.

I have a Valmet GLC and it's been utterly flawless even through brutal Chicago winters.
Haven't experienced any of the problems complained about on this forum.
Just my $.02.

Rmlasalle 03-06-2019 10:56 PM

I also have a Valmet GLC and it has run flawlessly for the past 14 months.

6G Schnell 03-07-2019 12:16 AM

My wife's GLC is also made in Finland, has been running flawlessly for +3k miles by now and she is really happy with her first SUV.....

jakecake 03-07-2019 01:32 PM

Planning on ordering a 2020. Hopefully I won't get one made in India.

RSNovi 03-08-2019 07:56 PM

I ordered a 2019 GLC today. At the dealer we were taking over an allocation. I noticed on his computer allocations from both Germany and Findland. I asked to take one from Germany.

r3dbenz89 03-14-2019 03:46 PM

I recently did a plant tour of Bremen as I am always in Germany for work so I try and visit as many of the plants as I can being a car nut and all. The Bremen plant is a really cool set up but still no where near the size of the Sindelfingen plant outside Stuttgart in Southern Germany. The GLC is produced on the C Class line along with the sedan and wagon as well as the GLC Coupe and upcoming EQC. The C Class Coupe/Convertible is produced alongside the E Class Coupe/Convertible, SL, and SLC on another line. What was mentioned is that the EQC will also be produced in Tuscaloosa so maybe the C Class will end production there for the W206?

The Valmet plant in Uusikaupunki, Finland is an overflow plant for the GLC and A Class Hatch. The C Class line in Bremen is at capacity so overflow orders are pushed to Finland. This plant has a good reputation in the auto world and Valmet is a client of mine and they are pleasure to work with. This plant has produced several generations of Saabs and was the overflow plant for 986/987s Boxsters and the sole production location for 987 Caymans. Global demand for the GLC has been so high that both Bremen and Valmet are at capacity so GLC's assembled from knock down kits from the Bremen plant are assembled at MB's Pune, India plant for US consumption. Technically Pune is not a manufacturing site and is more of an assembly facility. All the parts are shipped in from Germany so there isn't really any local parts content. It's really just the labor that's Indian. All GLC Coupes and all versions of the GLC AMGs are only manufactured in Bremen.

glassbloke 03-14-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by r3dbenz89 (Post 7705562)
I recently did a plant tour of Bremen as I am always in Germany for work so I try and visit as many of the plants as I can being a car nut and all. The Bremen plant is a really cool set up but still no where near the size of the Sindelfingen plant outside Stuttgart in Southern Germany. The GLC is produced on the C Class line along with the sedan and wagon as well as the GLC Coupe and upcoming EQC. The C Class Coupe/Convertible is produced alongside the E Class Coupe/Convertible, SL, and SLC on another line. What was mentioned is that the EQC will also be produced in Tuscaloosa so maybe the C Class will end production there for the W206?

The Valmet plant in Uusikaupunki, Finland is an overflow plant for the GLC and A Class Hatch. The C Class line in Bremen is at capacity so overflow orders are pushed to Finland. This plant has a good reputation in the auto world and Valmet is a client of mine and they are pleasure to work with. This plant has produced several generations of Saabs and was the overflow plant for 986/987s Boxsters and the sole production location for 987 Caymans. Global demand for the GLC has been so high that both Bremen and Valmet are at capacity so GLC's assembled from knock down kits from the Bremen plant are assembled at MB's Pune, India plant for US consumption. Technically Pune is not a manufacturing site and is more of an assembly facility. All the parts are shipped in from Germany so there isn't really any local parts content. It's really just the labor that's Indian. All GLC Coupes and all versions of the GLC AMGs are only manufactured in Bremen.

Not true. My 2018 AMG GLC 43 was manufactured in Finland.

r3dbenz89 03-14-2019 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by glassbloke (Post 7705705)
Not true. My 2018 AMG GLC 43 was manufactured in Finland.

That’s interesting. I’m going off of the tour guide. Maybe he meant only real AMG’s and not the GLC43’s?

Grizz3500 03-17-2019 12:43 PM

Purchased a GLC300 yesterday. Documentation states parts, etc made in Germany, assembled in Finland