2017 GLC300 radar sensor dirty error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
2017 GLC300 radar sensor dirty error

Hi all.

I have seen a few posts regarding this issue but they all seem to be 2015 model year or older.

I bought this SUV two weeks ago and have a 500km drive on the highway to get to my city. One the way back I got this error about 7 times . We live in a very northern part of Canada and our bugs are massive. My windshield was absolutely covered so I thought that might be why. I was really annoyed that cruise would not work at all without the radars.

Now we are on our way back down for the weekend. No bugs and clean windshield. We are an hour and a half into our drive and it's already happened 3 times.

If anyone has any info that would be helpful I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.
Adam
Old 05-18-2019, 05:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
was it raining or foggy?

I have had mine say they were dirty in heavy rain or heavy fog...
tends to go away after while most times.

OR sometimes bug will hit ... and big enough (dragonfly or such) they eventually fall off..

So I keep some wipes in car to wipe them clean when I have issue.

ALSO why cannot MB make the Distronic revert to OLD school Cruise control and just hold speed like it would if you did not have Distroic option...
Old 05-20-2019, 11:21 PM

2015 C300
No it was rainy or foggy. And after about ten minutes of it disabling it would prompt us it was available again with no change to the environment or cleanliness of the windshield.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
The sensors are on the front of the car. There's not necessarily a link between the windshield condition and the condition of the sensors. The first thing you'd want to do is verify the sensors are not dirty. If they are, wash them off and wipe them with a cloth. The owner's manual has information about this.

I've heard that condensation can cause this problem when driving in foggy conditions but I have no experience with that. Mine have gone offline when they became caked in ice or dirt. The first time was when driving in heavy snowfall. The second time was when driving on wet pavement in freezing temps with a lot of splash-back from traffic. The front of the car became caked in road grime and residue from de-icer (magnesium chloride) on the road. I cleaned them off and they were fine for about a half hour until the gunk accumulated again.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:02 PM

Nice one
Got on the turnpike during a driving rain today. Got this message:

Radar Sensors Dirty
See Operators Manual

Function resorted maybe 10-15 minute laters and after conditions improved.

I wonder if the improved conditions “allowed” the sensor to see?