GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

blend air actuator motor - air conditioner cold and hot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 04:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 GLC300 4-matic, 2014 Audi S4
Question blend air actuator motor - air conditioner cold and hot

Hey folks! 2018 GLC 4-matic w/92k miles here...I'm looking to see if anyone has done a repair on this issue...
Symptom: with AC on, getting cold air from the driver's side vents and hot air from the passenger side vents

A/C pressures are fine.

I ran a scan, and I had a B10A9-07 which, according to my scan tool, is: "The actuator motor for the right blend air flap has a malfunction. There is a mechanical fault."

So far, I've found a
, and a PDF (attached to post) of a procedure on a different MB showing how to replace the air flap actuator motor.

If anyone has some insight on the issue, I'd love to hear it! Also, if you have access to a GLC service manual with some instructions on how to repair the issue, I'd be super appreciative!

Cheers,
---JP
Attached Thumbnails blend air actuator motor - air conditioner cold and hot-20230902_ac_pressures.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 09-27-2023, 05:31 PM

Just following up on this post for anyone who comes across the same issue later.

I had done a bit of research to try to tackle this myself (replacing the blend air actuator motor), but when I looked at it initially, it looked like a PITA to get to...requiring dash removal...ugh.
So, I found a local shop that specializes in MB and took it to them for diagnostics and the quote. I never bothered with the stealership since they suck

The service manager said that they had one other car in for a similar issue, and it wasn't the actual motor, but instead it was the gear within the air distributor housing that had failed.
After the diagnosis, that was the problem with my GLC as well, and the fix is to replace the entire air distributor housing and actuator motor.

Here are some images of the diagnostics and of the actual failure.

gear has shredded off in the motor

housing showing the shredded gear

So after all was said and done, it was $1500 labor and about $1k for parts. Dash had to be completely removed, evap core removed so A/C refrigerant evacuated, and it was a special order part from MB.

FWIW, I've been pretty fortunate with my GLC. She has almost 92k miles on her, and I've only had 2 major repairs to do in all that time; this one, and replacing the sunroof rails.

Anyhow, hope this helps someone who encounters the same issue!

Cheers,
---John
The following 6 users liked this post by blockage:
edpare (09-28-2023), FreeWoRLD (09-28-2023), midesaka (09-30-2023), mikapen (09-27-2023), Teckno (Yesterday), Valcul (09-24-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-27-2023, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,218 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Thanks John.
Old 09-24-2024, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I ask where you took your car to be fixed? And how would I know if my local shop guy would be capable of doing this. I have exact same issues sunroof rails and passenger a/c.. thanks Val
Old 09-24-2024, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Valcul
May I ask where you took your car to be fixed? And how would I know if my local shop guy would be capable of doing this. I have exact same issues sunroof rails and passenger a/c.. thanks Val
For the sunroof rails, I found a local guy who specializes in sunroofs. You can likely do a google search for sunroof repair (your city name), and find one.

The passenger AC I took it to a local shop who specialize in Mercedes rather than the dealer.
Your local shop might be able to do it, but if you can find someone who specializes in Mercedes, they may have fixed the issue in the past and may have a better idea on how to do it.
The following users liked this post:
Valcul (09-24-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much for them recommendations! My husband is not impressed with the quote of $3575 from the local shop.. however this price will also include evaporator and maybe condenser (sorry not sure what he said) as they recommend replacing all this at once due to the fact, the car has 90,000 miles he said that they are probably going to go next ans while he has the dash off. It would make more sense to have it all replaced… otherwise he could just do the original job for $2211 which sounds about the same as what you paid.. They also said that they found a minor oil leak on one of the sales… And the car needs new bricks! Not to mention the sunroof reels and white with my reversing camera… This is all becoming too much money my head