MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc63s-glc63-glc43-amg-suv-coupe-x253-c253-217/)
-   -   Trailer Hitch (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc63s-glc63-glc43-amg-suv-coupe-x253-c253/660196-trailer-hitch.html)

VET11B 03-24-2017 09:03 AM

Trailer Hitch

For those of you that need a 2" receiver what have you gone with? I'm currently looking at this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201747501

Anyone have experience with the above or have another suggestion? I will be doing zero towing and will use the hitch exclusively for my Kuat NV2.0.

My specific vehicle build: 2018 GLC43 without the parking package.

Brew1 03-24-2017 09:39 AM

My17 GLC43 came off of the lot with a Class II 1-1/2 hitch (wired) but I really wanted the 2" for my bike rack. In the end looking at the instructions for installation I'm glad it came with the hitch. I just picked up an adapter 1-1/2 to 2" and it should work fine for what I need it for. I have used Drawtite on past vehicles and they were on par with Curt from what I could see.

thescrod 03-24-2017 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by VET11B (Post 7093993)
For those of you that need a 2" receiver what have you gone with? I'm currently looking at this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201747501

Anyone have experience with the above or have another suggestion? I will be doing zero towing and will use the hitch exclusively for my Kuat NV2.0.

My specific vehicle build: 2018 GLC43 without the parking package.

Picking up my '17 GLC43 with the Parking Pkg tomorrow or Mon. Do you think this would work with hands-free access?

VET11B 03-24-2017 08:59 PM

I wish I could answer that accurately for you, but I don't have enough information to do so. I specifically stayed away from the parking package, as to not have any issues when I install the hitch. I do think you lose handsfree function when you order the hitch package with the vehicle and I'm thinking that is because the hitch needs to occupy the same space. Wish I could be of more help, but at least you'll be getting into your 43 about 4 months before me.

mleun481 03-24-2017 09:03 PM

Does anyone know if you need to do any cutout in the rear bumper if you add an aftermarket hitch? Looking at some pics of GLC43s with a hitch, it's difficult to tell. :nix:

Brew1 03-25-2017 08:05 AM

Don't think so but I think you need to cut the exhausts heat shield per the instructions on ETrailer.

mleun481 03-25-2017 09:07 AM

Ah ok. There is also Execuhitch. Not sure if they have one for GLC. They have for other MB models. Also stowing and non stowing hitches.

Widman 03-28-2017 03:23 PM

An aftermarket hitch will sit below the bumper, unlike the factory hitch that fits
within the cut out. The aftermarket hitch does not look as well integrated and has less ground clearance. I went for the factory hitch even tho I lost the parking sensors and surround view (ordering the factory hitch deletes the Advanced Parking Assist option)

VET11B 03-28-2017 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Widman (Post 7098551)
An aftermarket hitch will sit below the bumper, unlike the factory hitch that fits
within the cut out. The aftermarket hitch does not look as well integrated and has less ground clearance. I went for the factory hitch even tho I lost the parking sensors and surround view (ordering the factory hitch deletes the Advanced Parking Assist option)

I had your same concerns, but a 1.25" hitch is a non-starter for me. Also, this doesn't look too hateful (Drawtite shown).

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7e41017e69.jpg

For comparison I found the factory one in another thread:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b53d54ccc3.jpg

Bougy 04-16-2017 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by thescrod (Post 7094728)
Picking up my '17 GLC43 with the Parking Pkg tomorrow or Mon. Do you think this would work with hands-free access?

no, trailer hitch will delete the hands free trunk opening

Bougy 04-16-2017 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by thescrod (Post 7094728)

Originally Posted by Widman (Post 7098551)

not true, the hitch does not delete the parking sensors nor the surround view

AverageGuy 04-17-2017 01:23 PM

I am also looking for a trailer hitch for my "truck."

I called ETrailer and they said that the GLC43 isn't the same as the GLC300 and they didn't have a hitch for this vehicle yet. Has anyone put one onto a GLC43 with any success?

-John

AverageGuy 05-10-2017 09:20 AM

Hate to bump an old thread, but I was curious if anyone has installed an aftermarket receiver on a GLC43?

Not sure if the one for the 300 would work. Etrailer said it wold not, but I'm not so sure.

Anyone?

-John

VET11B 05-10-2017 10:01 AM

My 43 should be here sometime in July and I will be ordering one of the hitches I linked to as soon as it does get here. Once I know, i'll post up with photos of the install or of my new paperweight

jaker1215 06-15-2017 05:42 PM

So I've been a lurker on this forum, and this info would have helped me out while shopping so I will share my experience:

Two weeks ago picked up a new 2017 GLC43 from dealer inventory. It was the exact combo that we wanted, it included the Parking package but obviously didn't include the factory tow hitch. We were considering whether we should custom order a 2018 with the tow hitch as this was a must have (my wife and I are big into mountain/road bikes).

After talking with the dealership & service they were convinced that an aftermarket hitch could be installed without issue, and the dealer covered the install.

Ordered a Curt 13290 off Amazon prime for $123. Dealership installed the hitch without issue. Based on the invoice it was 2.5 hours time + $78 in parts. (It appears they replaced some gaskets, and used new hardware) There was a small amount of the bumper cover that needed trimming but it tough to see.

Ground clearance is reduced some and it definitely isn't as clean as factory. That said, it is completely acceptable to us, and I don't really see us having issues with ground clearance. The "convenience opening" feature works fine on the rear hatch with the new hitch. I'll throw some pics up here, but hopefully this helps clear up any concerns.

Also, just as an FYI, our local Uhaul shop wouldn't install on a GLC 43 because it isn't officially supported by the manufacturer. Only the GLC300 is available... YMMV on this, but they weren't an option.

VET11B 07-21-2017 06:07 AM

Well, I can also confirm the drawtitie listed above fits and the instructions provided make it super easy for the DYI. However, if you do want to do two notes: 1. the nuts for the lamps (3x8mm each side) are real easy to drop and will fall into the body cavity. 2. the bottom of the valance will need to be trimmed slightly or you can leave it be but it will be bowed up a bit in the middle. On the first point using a magnetic socket will save you a lot of grief. I dropped 3 nuts,(I know, I should have switched sockets after the first one fell) then spent more than 3 hours searching with a borescope and flexible magnet to only be able to fish out 2 of the nuts. On the bowing of the bumper it's not a big deal and I plan on leaving mine that way. Maybe using the Curt will lower the receiver enough that this is not an issue. Lastly, the heat-sheild is barely in the way and I was able to just bend it a bit so it cleared the hitch.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...94e924608e.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...397f2ff58e.jpg

AverageGuy 07-22-2017 08:12 PM

Thanks for the pics, really nice to see. I'm going to guess that you have a GLC43 based on ground clearance, is that right?

I also appreciate the heads up about the bolts. It always sucks to be the first to do a job, but I appreciate you "taking one for the team" and reporting results.

-John

VET11B 07-23-2017 06:34 AM

Yes it is a 43. I should have known better on the nuts, as this isn't my first rodeo. Oh well, hopefully others can benefit from my mistake.

Oh, on the ground clearance. I backed up to a "standard" curb that you would find here in the suburbs of DC and it clears with several inches. That being said, I think I will be more cognizant to not back up completely into spots any more or do so when my Kuat is on the back.....that, by the way, pairs awesome with the gray and I like how low it sits compared to when it is mounted on our Pathfinder. Heading to a ride in a few and i'll snap a photo to post up later.

Lee Wireless 07-23-2017 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by jaker1215 (Post 7181185)
So I've been a lurker on this forum, and this info would have helped me out while shopping so I will share my experience:

Two weeks ago picked up a new 2017 GLC43 from dealer inventory. It was the exact combo that we wanted, it included the Parking package but obviously didn't include the factory tow hitch. We were considering whether we should custom order a 2018 with the tow hitch as this was a must have (my wife and I are big into mountain/road bikes).

After talking with the dealership & service they were convinced that an aftermarket hitch could be installed without issue, and the dealer covered the install.

Ordered a Curt 13290 off Amazon prime for $123. Dealership installed the hitch without issue. Based on the invoice it was 2.5 hours time + $78 in parts. (It appears they replaced some gaskets, and used new hardware) There was a small amount of the bumper cover that needed trimming but it tough to see.

Ground clearance is reduced some and it definitely isn't as clean as factory. That said, it is completely acceptable to us, and I don't really see us having issues with ground clearance. The "convenience opening" feature works fine on the rear hatch with the new hitch. I'll throw some pics up here, but hopefully this helps clear up any concerns.

Also, just as an FYI, our local Uhaul shop wouldn't install on a GLC 43 because it isn't officially supported by the manufacturer. Only the GLC300 is available... YMMV on this, but they weren't an option.

Any pictures yet?

flory 05-24-2018 07:38 AM

thank you , I just ordered Curt13290 for my GLC43

Originally Posted by jaker1215 (Post 7181185)

lanoipat 05-24-2018 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by flory (Post 7461521)

Can you please post pictures when the install is done ?
Thanks

Merc_Nut 06-19-2018 01:27 PM

I'm considering this one for my 2018 GLC 43 Coupe:

https://stealthhitches.com/products/glc-coupe

The manufacturer claims it uses the same mount points as the factory hitch. Installation looks pretty simple.

I won't be doing any towing with it; I just want to be able to use a hitch mounted bike rack.

lanoipat 06-19-2018 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Merc_Nut (Post 7482809)
I'm considering this one for my 2018 GLC 43 Coupe:

https://stealthhitches.com/products/glc-coupe

The manufacturer claims it uses the same mount points as the factory hitch. Installation looks pretty simple.

I won't be doing any towing with it; I just want to be able to use a hitch mounted bike rack.

That's a great concept . I have seen the same think for Mazda car .
Way to go for a clean look !

jamz 01-26-2019 07:02 PM

For anyone that is interested, I recently ordered a custom hitch from Stealth Hitches for my GLC 63. The CEO of the company actually returned my call and verified fitment by driving to his local Mercedes dealer to look at the bottom of the GLC63 and GLC300 to compare. Pretty awesome customer service. So I ordered the hitch and it was installed locally in Bellevue, WA. I was a little worried about fitment since there was very little online regarding the GLC63 aftermarket options. But the installation went smoothly, and they finished is a few hours. No trimming was necessary, just a little bend of the heat shield above the muffler. Cool thing is that the hitch can be removed when not needed, so you can't tell anything is under the car.
I also test fitted a new Kuat Sherpa 2.0 bike rack for fitment, and it fits perfectly. Its pretty tight to the rear bumper, but there's about 2 inches of clearance between the car and the rack. The dark grey model also matches the grey of the car nicely as well. Overall, this was a great process and I am stoked to finally be able to carry some bikes on my GLC 63.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6cf36287fa.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9c89926625.jpg

Isawelvis 01-26-2019 10:49 PM

I totally agree with the STEALTH hitch. I have one on my Outback, they are a quality group of people and make an outstanding hitch. For JAMZ , show a picture with the receiver removed. That is one of the best reasons to get it because it is totally invisible when the receiver is removed. Who wants to have the receiver always exposed on a beautiful Mercedes, the Stealth hitch is invisible when not in use. If you care about appearance and quality go with the Stealth hitch.