GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Wiper blades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC43 AMG SUV
Wiper blades

New to this forum, I recently got a custom order GLC 43AMG SUV 1 month ago and driving it in the rain has been miserable as there is a ridiculous amount of wiper shudder, very annoying. I live about 1.5h from dealer so called them to pick up the car ( a service they provide for maintenance and service) and they replaced the wiper blades. I told them specifically about cleaning the windshield, wiper blade adjustment and arm tension adjustment...possibly fell on deaf ears as they replaced only the wipers and told me it was fixed. drove today in the rain and it is still an issue. When I spray windshield washer fluid it is perfect for about 10-15 s then back the the annoying shudder on both blades. I am trying to figure out if there is another solution. I fear that sending it back, having them "test " it in conditions other than rain will not bring out the issue.
I have looked at bosch website for replacement but apparently not available in inventory yet. Anyone have any other ideas about this issue, or what current available bosch aero (or similar) blade would work with the car? Thanks.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car
I just bought mine, so no rain experience yet. Have you tried one of the windshield coatings, e.g., RainX or similar?
Old 04-28-2017, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
From what I have seen, there's some sort of wax or coating that gets on the glass. All the new cars have it, I'm not sure if it's detailing that does it or what.

Your dealer needs to perform the windshield cleaning procedure, and you shouldn't use any strange additives in your washer fluid (not saying you are, just making sure), if the glass is clean and the blades are changing directions properly (most are, people think more of the angle adjustment than it really is), then the MB blades should work ok. I find, even on my personal car, the MB wipers just suck really bad. I don't know what spec they are building them to now, but it's not good. We've replaced windshields to solve the issue, but using the intensive cleaner listed in the bulletin and using it properly normally does a very good job of fixing the chatter.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:06 PM

GLC43 AMG SUV
I placed rainx right when I got the car because I have done that with every other car my wife and I have owned never with any issues. Love the stuff. However once it rained and heard the chatter I panicked that maybe the rainx caused the issue. I cleaned it with soap and water, even used bon ami recommended on some websites.
I guess my next step is the mercedes cleaning system via the dealer. maybe will drive it there myself to see them do it. and test right away with water hose....
Old 04-29-2017, 03:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by ericft
I placed rainx right when I got the car because I have done that with every other car my wife and I have owned never with any issues. Love the stuff. However once it rained and heard the chatter I panicked that maybe the rainx caused the issue. I cleaned it with soap and water, even used bon ami recommended on some websites.
I guess my next step is the mercedes cleaning system via the dealer. maybe will drive it there myself to see them do it. and test right away with water hose....
Ericft, i think its a Mercedes 'thing'. My A250 did it straight after i put Rainx on the windshield. Shuddering blades like no tomorrow.. I found by using the washer every time the blades juddered, fixed the problem in the end.. It took a few weeks of using the windshield washer.. Either the blades bedded in, or the washer fluid did its job and removed whatever was causing the juddering..

My blades are now silky smooth and havent give me any more problems. I know now not to put anything on Merc windshields! The wipers are very fussy! When my 43 arrives, i wont be putting anything on it.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:35 AM

GLC43 AMG SUV
Thanks I will try to keep doing that and see what happens. I thought that cleaning it with soap and also bon ami should have done the trick. Hopefully it is not a wiper arm issue.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car
We've had rain all day. I took it out for a short drive to see how it handled the wet stuff. Wipers worked perfectly.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:05 PM

GLC43 AMG SUV
I am jealous. It is pouring buckets here as well and went for a drive and still issue. Used washer fluid many times in hopes it corrects itself over time. Does anyone know of compatible bosch wipers?
Old 04-29-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC 43
Rain today here too, just a little jittery at times (when the glass gets a little dry) nothing hateful though.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:39 PM

GLC43 AMG SUV
Does anyone know the size of the front blades on the glc43 Amg? I am looking to roll thup dice and order some Bosch aerotwin blades but cannot find the stock sizes of the front driver and passenger wipers? I assume that ones that match the regular glc would work as well? Can anyone point me in the direction of the right sizes to try. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:49 PM

GLC43 AMG SUV
Also, can anyone look at the passenger side wiper arm (not wiper blade) and see if there is a strange curve in it as compared to the drivers side? I am not sure if mine is warped or that is just the necessary bend to contour to a curved surface and movement in a wiping pattern?
Old 05-08-2017, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Just remove the rain X.
Denatured alcohol and a microfiber cloth will get it off.

Changing wiper blades is unlikely to solve the problem.

I've had no problems with my GLC43. Our C450 chattered like crazy when it arrived. I took it in and the service department attributed it to the factory paint sealant. They stripped it with solvent (either MEK or denatured ETOH I don't remember) and the problem was immediately solved.

Later on I made the mistake of running the car through an auto car wash that applied spray wax. Lo and behold the shudder came back. I just cleaned the windshield with denatured ETOH and the shudder went away. Take away point: the windshield needs to be clean and bare, no films, waxes, or treatments. If you keep it clean and bare the wipers work great. If you put any coatings on it you will have problems.

BTW, I live in Portland Oregon which happens to be one of the rainiest cities in the US.

Last edited by Mr. J; 05-08-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC43
Our GLC43 had a coating on the windshield that caused wiper shuddering....you could see the compound after cleaning with brake parts cleaner even....I think it's a shipping rust prevention applied before the overseas shipping. The windshield was replaced due to catching a rock off a truck....wipers work great now.