GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

New owner with question about steering wheel options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
New owner with question about steering wheel options?

Hey guys new owner here. I recently purchased an on the lot GLC43, Lunar Blue with Designo White interior. The dealer seemed to had spec out the interior of truck geared more towards luxury instead of sport with the designo upholstery, heated steering wheel along with heated front and rear seats. I wasn't a fan of the interior at first but it's growing on me; however, my fiance loves it.

My question is, why did mercedes not include the heated feature on the AMG steering wheel? My only gripe about the truck is that I really miss the sport steering wheel that was on my 2012 c250 coupe and my recently departed 13 c350. It doesn't seem like there is much difference in size for it not to be another option?
Old 05-03-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC43 & C300
Mine has the heated steering wheel, but I can agree, the AMG wheel has a much better look. I can't tell you why they chose that, but I can tell you, that I'd rather have the heated steering wheel, than the better looking wheel! It sure comes in handy on cold days.

-John
Old 05-03-2017, 05:46 PM

X3 M40i
Originally Posted by AverageGuy
Mine has the heated steering wheel, but I can agree, the AMG wheel has a much better look. I can't tell you why they chose that, but I can tell you, that I'd rather have the heated steering wheel, than the better looking wheel! It sure comes in handy on cold days.

-John
Definitely not complaining about the heated steering feature lol. I know in the winter I will be using it like I use the heated seat feature. It just seems weird that with the AMG line vehicles that mercedes would even offer a non sport steering wheel. I mean the whole point of Amg is to be sport or sportier than the regular line. The steering wheel looks so basic lol.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC43
Such a great topic and one there seems no real answer for when it comes to AMG steering wheels. Definitely once you choose heated steering wheel, you lose AMG steering wheel, but if you"re doing a new build and want the AMG steering wheel pay close attention to these 2 things as well - whether or not you choose heated and ventilated seats and HUD. For example, if you choose espresso brown interior and heated and ventilated seats the steering wheel is not AMG unless you order HUD too (At least when you use the build configuration on the MB website).
Old 05-03-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
14 Audi RS5, 16 Audi S3, 15 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 17 MB GLC43 AMG, 17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
Audi does the same thing. Look at a configurator for the new S4/S5 with the flat bottomed steering wheel. When you make it heated it's the regular rounded one.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:26 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
When I ordered my GLC43 last year, I choose heated steering over nice looking AMG steering wheel.
Looks like MB can't make heated flat bottom steering wheel just yet.
During cold days , I am glad I did.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:10 PM

X3 M40i
I wonder if it has anything to do with logic? Maybe their logic is people who care about luxury items like heated steering wheels, are not really into sporty driving or something lol.

OR, mercedes is being cheap and likes reusing the same damn steering wheel for each of the models. Looks like the GLE, E, C, GLC all uses the same steering wheel when you option for the heated steering wheel.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC43
Recently I visited 3 dealers locally because I wanted to make sure I was getting the AMG type wheel - living in AZ I don't need the heated steering wheel. All really had no idea and thought regardless of heated steering wheel or not it would be AMG, which we all know is wrong. At this point I decided regardless if my steering wheel is round or AMG, I am going to be happy. Every time I look at the MB build configuration I learn something new or things change - for example with my espresso brown interior and black ash trim, if you don't choose advanced parking assist package the door inserts would be aluminum and not black ash. At this point all I can do is wait and see what my interior looks like - regardless I am super excited and anxious for it to arrive and appreciate all the information and pics you guys provide.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
You can get your steering wheel modified to make it thicker. But if you want the square bottomed look then they can't do that without destroying the heating mechanism.