GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

GLC43 AMG Performance Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 11:28 PM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
GLC43 AMG Performance Exhaust?

Hi guys, I noticed on the W205 C43 Sedan/coupe, there is an exhaust button. But on my GLC43 Coupe, there is an On/Off button for the infotainment screen.

I understand that this button only affects the exhaust noise. Does the GLC43 lack this feature? Or is the GLC43 "exhaust noise" feature just always on (in Sport+) so a button was not needed?

Or was this button only included with the AMG Sport Exhaust option? I do not remember this being on the options list.

I am in Taiwan BTW.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by waisoserious
Hi guys, I noticed on the W205 C43 Sedan/coupe, there is an exhaust button. But on my GLC43 Coupe, there is an On/Off button for the infotainment screen.

I understand that this button only affects the exhaust noise. Does the GLC43 lack this feature? Or is the GLC43 "exhaust noise" feature just always on (in Sport+) so a button was not needed?

Or was this button only included with the AMG Sport Exhaust option? I do not remember this being on the options list.

I am in Taiwan BTW.
This is an optional feature called the AMG Sport Exhaust. Your car doesn't have it. I know it is an option on the 2018 GLC63. I have ordered it.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
It's also an option on the 18 GLC43. I think my GLC43 is louder than a standard c43 exhaust. Not sure if it's because of the extra heft/weight. I wish we had the option, as I would have definitely had that as one of the main things to get on this truck.
The following users liked this post:
VinceBlue (07-03-2020)
Old 06-12-2017, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Corvette Grand Sport, GMC Denali, 2018 GLC 43 AMG SUV
I considered this option on my 2018 GLC AMG 43 that has been ordered, however I was told that it was actually louder in the normal mode than the std. exhaust. I have a Grand Sport Corvette with the dual mode exhaust & love it. It opens up above 3000RPM or there is an aftermaket accessory where you can open & close it at any RPM with the touch of a button. This gives me the ability to have it quiet when I want to talk to someone or to open it up to listen to the exhaust modes.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:59 PM

X3 M40i
Originally Posted by dieselfan1974
I considered this option on my 2018 GLC AMG 43 that has been ordered, however I was told that it was actually louder in the normal mode than the std. exhaust. I have a Grand Sport Corvette with the dual mode exhaust & love it. It opens up above 3000RPM or there is an aftermaket accessory where you can open & close it at any RPM with the touch of a button. This gives me the ability to have it quiet when I want to talk to someone or to open it up to listen to the exhaust modes.
Looking at the pictures from the C43 forum (which should give us a good indication of our exhaust too) it looks like the STD exhaust is a two-in-one out from the resonator and then split's from axle back which is lame. The PE exhaust goes two-in-two out from the resonator to duals all the way to the exhaust tips. I can't imagine how the GLC43 would sound with PE exhaust as my truck is already noisy in Comfort mode. I am going to get rid of the resonator anyway and do duals all the way back and then remove the Dinan tune for the Eurocharge one. The truck should sound bad a$$ and I am not concerned about noise as my last car had exhaust mods.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:10 PM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Ok so I went to the dealership yesterday and I took a look at:

- Another GLC43 Coupe
- C43 Coupe
- C43 Sedan
- C63s Coupe
- E43 Sedan

None of them had that button. These are all inventory cars, pre-ordered with whatever options that the dealership thought people would most likely want.

Both C43's and the C63's both (from what I could tell looking underneath) looked like they had a legit dual exhaust. Muffler on both sides, rather than muffler on 1 side with a pipe going to the other side.

Im genuinely confused. Because I am unsure what the Performance Exhaust is supposed to do. My GLC43 doesnt have the exhaust button, but the exhaust is fairly loud and it has the crackles and pops whenever the transmission upshifts. Does the standard exhaust do that as well?
Old 06-16-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts
E63S4S
Originally Posted by waisoserious
Ok so I went to the dealership yesterday and I took a look at:

- Another GLC43 Coupe
- C43 Coupe
- C43 Sedan
- C63s Coupe
- E43 Sedan

None of them had that button. These are all inventory cars, pre-ordered with whatever options that the dealership thought people would most likely want.

Both C43's and the C63's both (from what I could tell looking underneath) looked like they had a legit dual exhaust. Muffler on both sides, rather than muffler on 1 side with a pipe going to the other side.

Im genuinely confused. Because I am unsure what the Performance Exhaust is supposed to do. My GLC43 doesnt have the exhaust button, but the exhaust is fairly loud and it has the crackles and pops whenever the transmission upshifts. Does the standard exhaust do that as well?
Often misunderstood.

The standard exhaust has a valve further up near the subframe functioning as an "H" pipe. In comfort this is open, allowing exhaust gasses to flow between the dual pipes. In sport/+ and WOT this closes allowing straight through "dual" exhaust to flow through the system

On the performance exhaust, there are 2 additional valves on different rear muffler boxes of a more open nature.

In comfort, the valves are closed allowing exhaust to flow within the rear muffler boxes and out a single small pipe on each side.

In sport/+ or with the button press, the valve opens allowing gases to flow through an additional, larger pipe in the exhaust muffler.

In Summary

Standard 43 exhaust - 1 valve up front making H pipe
Comfort - open, allowing gases to flow between the pipes headed toward the back of the car and out
Sport/+/Wide open throttle - closed, creating straight through path on each side

Performance exhaust
Comfort - Front valve open as above, rear valves closed, exhaust out small tip on each side, resonating within the muffler section and out

Sport/+/Button Pressed - Front valve closed, straight through to muffler section, valves in muffler section open, allowing straight through path with minimal resonance in muffler.
The following 5 users liked this post by wassup61:
BB_C43 (08-29-2018), jonosc (06-21-2017), kowyzg0moo (09-07-2017), Swordfish99 (10-25-2017), waisoserious (06-16-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 03:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 GLC43 (On Order)
^^nailed it -- in addition to all that jazz aren't the mufflers also slightly larger on the performance exhaust?
wassup61 (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
GLC43
A couple of valves and controls seem to be rather expensive for 1250.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:59 PM

2018 GLC43 (On Order)
Originally Posted by glassbloke
A couple of valves and controls seem to be rather expensive for 1250.
I actually think for that technology that price is fairly inexpensive.
VinceBlue (05-09-2020)
Old 06-17-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 GLC43 AMG - 2007 ML63 (Totaled)
Originally Posted by DameMD
Looking at the pictures from the C43 forum (which should give us a good indication of our exhaust too) it looks like the STD exhaust is a two-in-one out from the resonator and then split's from axle back which is lame. The PE exhaust goes two-in-two out from the resonator to duals all the way to the exhaust tips. I can't imagine how the GLC43 would sound with PE exhaust as my truck is already noisy in Comfort mode. I am going to get rid of the resonator anyway and do duals all the way back and then remove the Dinan tune for the Eurocharge one. The truck should sound bad a$$ and I am not concerned about noise as my last car had exhaust mods.
The Eurocharged tune looks amazing. Close to GLC63 numbers. Please post a video of the resonator delete when done. Truck already sounds badass from the inside with the pops and crackles in S+ mode. Haven't heard it from the outside as im the only one that drives lol.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:31 PM

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts
E63S4S
Originally Posted by /////Tbro
^^nailed it -- in addition to all that jazz aren't the mufflers also slightly larger on the performance exhaust?
Yep, larger rear boxes to fit a larger secondary path...
Old 06-20-2017, 11:42 AM

X3 M40i
Originally Posted by wassup61
Often misunderstood.

The standard exhaust has a valve further up near the subframe functioning as an "H" pipe. In comfort this is open, allowing exhaust gasses to flow between the dual pipes. In sport/+ and WOT this closes allowing straight through "dual" exhaust to flow through the system

On the performance exhaust, there are 2 additional valves on different rear muffler boxes of a more open nature.

In comfort, the valves are closed allowing exhaust to flow within the rear muffler boxes and out a single small pipe on each side.

In sport/+ or with the button press, the valve opens allowing gases to flow through an additional, larger pipe in the exhaust muffler.

In Summary

Standard 43 exhaust - 1 valve up front making H pipe
Comfort - open, allowing gases to flow between the pipes headed toward the back of the car and out
Sport/+/Wide open throttle - closed, creating straight through path on each side

Performance exhaust
Comfort - Front valve open as above, rear valves closed, exhaust out small tip on each side, resonating within the muffler section and out

Sport/+/Button Pressed - Front valve closed, straight through to muffler section, valves in muffler section open, allowing straight through path with minimal resonance in muffler.
It also helps to show exhaust piping differences too.
Picture 1 (Standard Exhaust): 2-in 1-out Resonator to single pipe to Y-Pipe, then split to the the mufflers.

Picture 2 (Performance Exhaust (PE)): True dual setup from 2-in 2-out Resonator to dual piping all the way back to the mufflers (mufflers are also bigger).

From both pictures, I gather that the Resonator is also different which is why the standard setup has a 2-in 1-out resonator and the performance exhaust has 2-in 2-out resonator.
For my setup, I plan to remove the resonator and put a x-pipe / h-pipe there and have dual piping similar to Picture 2. Not sure when I am going to do this but I did something similar to this on both my previous cars which were c250 coupe and c350 sedan.

Last edited by DameMD; 06-20-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:17 PM

X3 M40i
Ok so, I am revisiting this thread for those who are interested (our forum is not lively at all )

Anyway, I actually went under the GLC43 today and noticed that we do indeed have single exhaust pipping from the resonator to a huge rear muffler. This setup is nowhere near whats on the c43 so please disregard my top previous post. We also have true exhaust tips non-like the C43 guys I also noticed that our exhaust piping is pretty huge. Not sure but it looks like full 3" exhaust all the way back to the single muffler. I may explore going with removing the rear single muffler and doing two smaller maganflow oval mufflers or I may just remove the resonator for a y-pipe.

I am going to my muffler shop tomorrow to see what will be the best option. If I end up keeping the current muffler setup, I am going to put a 3" y-pipe where resonator is and see if that make any difference. Our exhaust setup looks more troublesome than the c43 which will be annoying to modify

Last edited by DameMD; 07-13-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:47 AM

Mercedes AMG
It's also an option on the 18 GLC43. I think my GLC43 is louder than a standard c43 exhaust. Not sure if it's because of the extra heft/weight. I wish we had the option, as I would have definitely had that as one of the main things to get on this truck.
Where does it say it's an option on the 18 GLC43?
Old 08-04-2017, 10:50 AM

2018 GLC43 (On Order)
Originally Posted by Rob32R
Both the DOG and now MBUSA.com show this as an option. If you do a build on the website you can select the performance exhaust towards he end. I have it on my 43.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
Go to www.mbusa.com and configure the 2018 GLC43. Under the "Performance and Safety" tab there is an option to equip the AMG Performance Exhaust System for an additional $1,250.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:28 AM

Mercedes AMG
Both the DOG and now MBUSA.com show this as an option. If you do a build on the website you can select the performance exhaust towards he end. I have it on my 43.
How's it sound? I would love to hear your thoughts/and or see a video please.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:45 PM

2018 GLC43 (On Order)
How's it sound? I would love to hear your thoughts/and or see a video please.
I will be happy to share my thoughts and post a video....

....after I take delivery next week . It arrived in Long Beach two days ago, my SA expects delivery to be no later than middle of next week. Then, I will be able to share my thoughts and look at doing a recording.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:31 PM

X3 M40i
I will be happy to share my thoughts and post a video....

....after I take delivery next week . It arrived in Long Beach two days ago, my SA expects delivery to be no later than middle of next week. Then, I will be able to share my thoughts and look at doing a recording.
I am curious to how the performance exhaust sounds too. Our GLC43 exhaust is much louder than the standard c43 exhaust.

I removed my resonator about 3 weeks ago and added a y-pipe there, two-in (2.5 piping from the CATS) to 1-out (3 inch piping) and my exhaust sounds like the P.E. on the c43. It's super loud on start up in sport+. Comfort mode you can always here the exhaust note now.

I would love to compare my setup to the Real Performance exhaust as my only disadvantage is not being able to control the valves to make my truck quieter. My wife loves the sound and no droning sound in the cabin so I am glad I went this route.

My current setup now is: k&n filters, Dinantronics sport tune, resonator delete. Next month I plan to go with downpipes and OE tune Stage 2. This truck will be a nice little grocery truck rocket.
Mr. J (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
I am curious to how the performance exhaust sounds too. Our GLC43 exhaust is much louder than the standard c43 exhaust.

I removed my resonator about 3 weeks ago and added a y-pipe there, two-in (2.5 piping from the CATS) to 1-out (3 inch piping) and my exhaust sounds like the P.E. on the c43. It's super loud on start up in sport+. Comfort mode you can always here the exhaust note now.

I would love to compare my setup to the Real Performance exhaust as my only disadvantage is not being able to control the valves to make my truck quieter. My wife loves the sound and no droning sound in the cabin so I am glad I went this route.

My current setup now is: k&n filters, Dinantronics sport tune, resonator delete. Next month I plan to go with downpipes and OE tune Stage 2. This truck will be a nice little grocery truck rocket.
Thanks for this. I was contemplating a res delete but I was worried about drone in comfort mode. It sounds like that has not been a problem for you.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:46 PM

Interesting. Could you post a video? Also does it still pop and crackle?

Last edited by GC_63; 08-12-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:09 PM

X3 M40i
Originally Posted by GC_63
Interesting. Could you post a video? Also does it still pop and crackle?
Pops and crackles are still there, just a lot louder and the "pops" happen more frequently in Sport+. With the resonator delete, I get pops and crackles even in comfort mode.

I made a video just for myself to see how the resonator delete sounds after the truck was sitting for about 5 hours and it was almost 85 degrees out. It's nothing fancy, no driving and I didn't fully rev the engine as my neighbors were outside and I was not trying to make a huge scene. I just uploaded the video youtube and I will take it down in a day or two and see if I can post a better video. The video was shot from an Iphone 7 Plus so its not the best. Turn your headphones/speakers up.

I am getting a gopro in a couple of weeks (not a priority) and I will post better videos and stuff.

Last edited by DameMD; 08-15-2017 at 12:34 PM.
LongShot (05-16-2019)
Old 08-17-2017, 11:20 PM

Pops and crackles are still there, just a lot louder and the "pops" happen more frequently in Sport+. With the resonator delete, I get pops and crackles even in comfort mode.

I made a video just for myself to see how the resonator delete sounds after the truck was sitting for about 5 hours and it was almost 85 degrees out. It's nothing fancy, no driving and I didn't fully rev the engine as my neighbors were outside and I was not trying to make a huge scene. I just uploaded the video youtube and I will take it down in a day or two and see if I can post a better video. The video was shot from an Iphone 7 Plus so its not the best. Turn your headphones/speakers up.

I am getting a gopro in a couple of weeks (not a priority) and I will post better videos and stuff.

https://youtu.be/7BCD1AGbcAU
nice. looking forward to driving clips!
Old 08-20-2017, 06:31 AM

Mercedes AMG
Likewise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC43 AMG Performance Exhaust?