GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Possible problems with turbos?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
MB GLC43 AMG
Possible problems with turbos?

I was driving around with a friend yesterday who is a mechanic and he noticed that when in automatic comfort mode the engine is way below 2000rpms.

He pointed out maybe I should ask my service rep if the engine is prepared for that and for the auto stop. He mentioned that as far as he knows turbos do not like to work at low pressure as it is more difficult to expel the cinder that is produced (that in relation to low revs). And that when a car has been working the turbo heavily it is not recommended to shut down the engine without allowing the turbo to cool down (this in relation to auto stop)

Any thoughts about this?
Old 06-13-2017, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
All outdated information. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your car. Sounds like he has no idea what he's talking about. Millions of people have turbocharged cars from all brands and every single one of them get home every evening and shut off their car and go on with their life. Modern cars work overtime on their own to cool down long after you can turned them off.

M
Old 06-14-2017, 03:27 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
MB GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by Germancar1
All outdated information. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your car. Sounds like he has no idea what he's talking about. Millions of people have turbocharged cars from all brands and every single one of them get home every evening and shut off their car and go on with their life. Modern cars work overtime on their own to cool down long after you can turned them off.

M
That is exactly what he supposed. But he just told me to ask the service rep whener I stoped at the dealer. He is specialized in Antique and non-electronic controlled cars so he told me he was not really up to date into the new modern technology.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by Daniel BG
That is exactly what he supposed. But he just told me to ask the service rep whener I stoped at the dealer. He is specialized in Antique and non-electronic controlled cars so he told me he was not really up to date into the new modern technology.
My family had a Saab turbo back in the 80s. Back then they recommended letting car idle prior to shut down. It is no longer needed with modern turbocharged diesel or petrol cars.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:37 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mercedes GLC43
Try watching this video - this Aussie really lays the story of unreliable turbos out and puts the myth to bed:

he gets to thegood stuff at the 3 minute mark.

Last edited by rihallix; 06-23-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Cinder?

The M/E is in total control, if you are cruising at low RPMS the boost is not needed, you aren't loading the turbos. If it goes into boost, it's plenty safe. In reality, a turbo can work at any engine speed, these turbos are small and spin up very early. There's no "minimum" rpm for a turbo, it's just an air compressor.

Shutdown isn't an issue, as the turbos are water cooled and the car has auxiliary coolant pumps that circulate the coolant after shutdown as well. The old turbos that were oil cooled only could bake the oil in them if shutdown hot, but the water prevents the core temps from getting anywhere near hot enough to cook the oil, and the pumps run intermittently as engine temps come down to prevent hot spots/boiled coolant.