GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Car & Driver review of the GLC 43 AMG

Old 10-27-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
Agreed! Must be a slow time on the Audi boards.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by Philamg
YAWN
People with narcolepsy shouldn’t be operating high performance vehicles. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:01 PM

2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by Tylbran
Agreed! Must be a slow time on the Audi boards.
If it weren’t for me here it would be a really slow time on this board. Admit it, you guys love me! Regards. . Ned.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by ngerstman
. I love the suspension on the Audi, just the right balance, the Mercedes has erred on the side of firm for sure, but mind you it’s only an issue on rough surfaces or over bumps. My 2011 e550, which is absolutely great, exhibits similar behavior, fabulous most of the time but jarring in even small ruts. I believe Audi has a very good track record on engine/tranny, I personally don’t trust bmw so much. As for styling, the glc is an upgrade over the old glk body which was kindly, quirky, don’t consider the glc a particular looker either. Both great though, we should enjoy our great fortune. Regards. Ned.

I wonder if the behavior you believed was suspension related was actually the fat rear tires of the GLC43 "tracking" with imperfections in the pavement surface? Did the GLC you drove have 20"s or 21"s? Mine has 20"s and the ride is very smooth on the very poorly maintained roads of Portland. I haven't driven one with the 21''s. I skipped that upgrade because I thought that the 21''s combined with the US spec rf tires could lead to a harsher ride than I desired.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:28 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
If it weren’t for me here it would be a really slow time on this board. Admit it, you guys love me! Regards. . Ned.
lol Ned. We love you. hahaha.

When we bought ours, the Macan and the Audi were in the running too. (I had an A3 in 06 when they first came to NA and I loved that car) I really like the looks of the last SQ5, this current one not as much but I did want to drive it.
Our son is too tall to fit in the back of the Macan or it's very possible we would have gone that route. When we drove through the automall, the current SQ5 my wife wouldn't even get out of the car to look at, lol.
Ultimately I love the GLC43. May upgrade to the 63. The Audi I'm sure is a nice ride but just doesn't match the looks (exterior anyhow) of the GLC. Hopefully the bluetooth in it works better, I'd like to throw this one out the window many days.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. J
I wonder if the behavior you believed was suspension related was actually the fat rear tires of the GLC43 "tracking" with imperfections in the pavement surface? Did the GLC you drove have 20"s or 21"s? Mine has 20"s and the ride is very smooth on the very poorly maintained roads of Portland. I haven't driven one with the 21''s. I skipped that upgrade because I thought that the 21''s combined with the US spec rf tires could lead to a harsher ride than I desired.
The last glc43I test drove had 20 inch rims. Kind of like my 2011 e550 with airmatic the ride is great until you hit road ruts or even a smallish pothole, then the suspension is a bit jarring. The Audi suspension with the 21’s is much better at dealing with road ruts which pushed me to the Audi, I recognized all the trade offs including my longer history with Mercedes, I love my e550, it’s still my every day ride in NJ, it’s been a very good car, probably my favorite long term ride. Not a fan of the run flats, like riding on hard rubber which I suppose would be the case because they’re hard rubber. I guess I’ll have to continue to disagree on this point with most forum members here who don’t mind the glc suspension, but does make some sense that the higher level of sportiness that folks here love is in part due to the firmer suspension. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by scotchy
lol Ned. We love you. hahaha.

When we bought ours, the Macan and the Audi were in the running too. (I had an A3 in 06 when they first came to NA and I loved that car) I really like the looks of the last SQ5, this current one not as much but I did want to drive it.
Our son is too tall to fit in the back of the Macan or it's very possible we would have gone that route. When we drove through the automall, the current SQ5 my wife wouldn't even get out of the car to look at, lol.
Ultimately I love the GLC43. May upgrade to the 63. The Audi I'm sure is a nice ride but just doesn't match the looks (exterior anyhow) of the GLC. Hopefully the bluetooth in it works better, I'd like to throw this one out the window many days.
The glc63 would be a whole other discussion, certainly an insane car! That level of a thrill ride would be worth overlooking much other stuff. I test drove a gle63 coupe last year, it was sick! I had no interest in the coupe version which was just too impractical, with no rear seat headroom and also wasn’t willing to spend that kind of coin on the older interior. But it was something to drive. I’m still really enjoying my sq5, love the overall experience and hop in my S8 plus for the over the top experience! I’m sure you’ll enjoy whichever way you go. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
The last glc43I test drove had 20 inch rims. Kind of like my 2011 e550 with airmatic the ride is great until you hit road ruts or even a smallish pothole, then the suspension is a bit jarring. The Audi suspension with the 21’s is much better at dealing with road ruts which pushed me to the Audi, I recognized all the trade offs including my longer history with Mercedes, I love my e550, it’s still my every day ride in NJ, it’s been a very good car, probably my favorite long term ride. Not a fan of the run flats, like riding on hard rubber which I suppose would be the case because they’re hard rubber. I guess I’ll have to continue to disagree on this point with most forum members here who don’t mind the glc suspension, but does make some sense that the higher level of sportiness that folks here love is in part due to the firmer suspension. Regards. Ned.

Did your SQ5 arrive equipped with run-flats or go-flats?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. J
Did your SQ5 arrive equipped with run-flats or go-flats?
Go flats. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lotus elise
just went on comparison test drives of glc43, macan gts, bmw x4m. amg was my fav. just felt like a fun car. loved the hard shifts and super light quick steering. felt very lively. porsche felt like was carved from a single block of metal. so solid. beautiful interior on level of panamera. but not much fun to drive. would do well on a track for hpde but not much fun on street. bmw drove well but i couldnt get past its (more) awkward looks and bargain basement interior. i just wonder if amg would hold up at all on a track? 9 speed trans seems likely to overheat. i would get one for sure if someone here could confirm its possible to take it on occasional, moderate hpde days.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC43 AMG, 2015 Chevy SS (Holden SSv)
Ned=Roger Stone
Old 01-14-2018, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dr. drift
just went on comparison test drives of glc43, macan gts, bmw x4m. amg was my fav. just felt like a fun car. loved the hard shifts and super light quick steering. felt very lively. porsche felt like was carved from a single block of metal. so solid. beautiful interior on level of panamera. but not much fun to drive. would do well on a track for hpde but not much fun on street. bmw drove well but i couldnt get past its (more) awkward looks and bargain basement interior. i just wonder if amg would hold up at all on a track? 9 speed trans seems likely to overheat. i would get one for sure if someone here could confirm its possible to take it on occasional, moderate hpde days.

I'm getting ready to replace my aging RDX. Just test drove a 2018 Macan GTS and what a machine that is. Soild and love the swift PDK shifts. The SQ5 turned me off with the fake exhaust and newbody styling (I liked the previous gen more). Still need to drive a GLC43. What really turns me off is the iPad on the dash and the with me nit-picking here, is the cheap door lock pins (I know I can get replacements like I have for my C63). The Macan GTS is about $11k more (when I compare the two builds) than the 43 and puts me into 63 territory. I've have many Benzes in the past and never a Porsche. The C63 is the wife's daily and she's keen on getting the Porsche. The Macan is getting a face lift around the corner. When is the GLC dash refresh supposed to take place? Decisions.....

Last edited by Sincity; 01-14-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Sincity
I'm getting ready to replace my aging RDX. Just test drove a 2018 Macan GTS and what a machine that is. Soild and love the swift PDK shifts. The SQ5 turned me off with the fake exhaust and newbody styling (I liked the previous gen more). Still need to drive a GLC43. What really turns me off is the iPad on the dash and the with me nit-picking here, is the cheap door lock pins (I know I can get replacements like I have for my C63). The Macan GTS is about $11k more (when I compare the two builds) than the 43 and puts me into 63 territory. I've have many Benzes in the past and never a Porsche. The C63 is the wife's daily and she's keen on getting the Porsche. The Macan is getting a face lift around the corner. When is the GLC dash refresh supposed to take place? Decisions.....
Which I will go for a less option Turbo. Many Porsche dealer will take offer from 5 to 8% discount on Macan depends on location. In NY, I can easily get 6% straight out the door without negotiate on a custom order Turbo. the reason I am still waiting is because of the biturbo V8 sound track.
As of Facelift or update, every year they do that, just can catch up with them :-p
Old 01-14-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 179 Likes on 136 Posts
2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43, 2014 E63
Originally Posted by Sincity
What really turns me off is the iPad on the dash and the with me nit-picking here, is the cheap door lock pins (I know I can get replacements like I have for my C63).
The iPad complaint is common, but after owning the car I don't mind it because the top of the screen is below my line of sight out the windshield so I stop noticing it. The front door pins I replaced the day after I got it. Ask the dealer to throw them in with car purchase.