crabbing issue solved? - Page 2 - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices

crabbing issue solved?

 
Old 01-03-2018, 05:33 PM
  #26  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 623
Thanked 51 Times in 39 Posts
GLC43
Has the crabbing issue for us LHD guys been resolved or any updates. With the colder temperatures, this crabbing issue is happening more frequent. Not sure if my tires are wearing out faster or is it just the nature of the beast since tires/suspension setup for the 21inch Continental tires suck a$$. I really don't want to spend money on smaller rims and new tires when I barely drive the truck during the weekdays. I really hope MBUSA offers new set of better tires or offer a replace plan.

I think this is beginning to be a safety issue and I may stop by my SA to see what can be done. This is issue is easily replicated as long as the temperatures are cold.
DameMD is offline  
Old 01-03-2018, 05:48 PM
  #27  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Rafael CA
Posts: 51
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
2017 GLC 43 AMG, 2013 Boxster
My 2013 Porsche Boxter makes the same crabbing noise/vibration on full lock as does my GLC43AMG. It is not a safety issue, just the nature of summer high performance tires that are cold and want to stick. We need to wait for the tire mfgs to offer all season tires with deeper and more sipes.
Widman is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 09:01 AM
  #28  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 155
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
2015 370Z Nismo, 2018 GLC43 (on order)
Originally Posted by Widman View Post
My 2013 Porsche Boxter makes the same crabbing noise/vibration on full lock as does my GLC43AMG. It is not a safety issue, just the nature of summer high performance tires that are cold and want to stick. We need to wait for the tire mfgs to offer all season tires with deeper and more sipes.

Uh, not a safety issue? This is my daily driver and if you haven't seen the weather in the DC Metro area it's pretty cold. My car slides all over the place right now and I have had to disable the stability control so that it won't stop my car while I am trying to merge. This IS a safety issue for me and my GLC43. FWIW this issue has been present at anything below 60º and that is more than just "summer tires suck in the cold" BS.
VET11B is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 03:01 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 494
Thanked 76 Times in 67 Posts
GLC43, Toyota, BMW
Originally Posted by VET11B View Post
Uh, not a safety issue? This is my daily driver and if you haven't seen the weather in the DC Metro area it's pretty cold. My car slides all over the place right now and I have had to disable the stability control so that it won't stop my car while I am trying to merge. This IS a safety issue for me and my GLC43. FWIW this issue has been present at anything below 60º and that is more than just "summer tires suck in the cold" BS.
I have the 21"s with the Conti UHP tires and I've only really experienced the "crabbing" pulling/turning out of the driveway (or parking lot) in cold weather (under 40-ish degrees), so not sure how much of a safety issue that is. MB and Continental specifically state these tires are not suitable for weather under 45 degrees. I'm a couple hours north of you (Philly area) and wouldn't think of taking the vehicle out in the weather we are having right now. If this is your daily driver, in these conditions, with those tires, how can you blame MB and/or Continental?*

*The only caveat I would say is IF there is an issue with the 4Matic in combo with the UHP summer tires. I saw in another thread that was potentially mentioned by someone who supposedly heard from a dealer that it is pretty much an issue with all 4Matic vehicles. IF so, I'd be more inclined to be on the upset/safety side of this with you, BUT it still doesn't negate the fact you shouldn't be driving ANY "performance" vehicle with UHP summer tires in the winter. Of course that is a safety issue. If you have the 20"s with All-Seasons and this is happening, I'm 100% with you.
Chrisk03 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 03:57 PM
  #30  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 155
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
2015 370Z Nismo, 2018 GLC43 (on order)
I first noticed the crabbing pulling out of the drive when visiting a friend in the Poconos last fall. It was in the low 60s and slightly wet. I initially thought it was nothing more than some slippage due to the gravel. However, it later occurred in my own drive in similar conditions. That's when I knew what was going on. In this scenario it's a non-issue safety-wise. However, the aforementioned occurrence happened well above Conti's temps and the conditions you "wouldn't drive the car in". Whom do I blame for that? Or is 60º in the rain not suitable for an AWD SUV?

As for using a "high performance vehicle" in the cold, you may be right. And the tires may not be suited for the cold, but I have driven many cars with equivalent tires and not experienced any issues even approaching what I have felt with the GLC. Also, you're correct on others with different platforms experiencing the same scrubbing issue. Someone with an 2018 E63 wagon noted just this over in the scrubbing thread over in the non-AMG GLC forum. I think MB is having issues with it's 4matic and the problem is merely exasperated by the choice of tire fitment. FWIW, if this thing was rwd, I'd doubt we'd be having this conversation.
VET11B is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 04:44 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 494
Thanked 76 Times in 67 Posts
GLC43, Toyota, BMW
Originally Posted by VET11B View Post
I first noticed the crabbing pulling out of the drive when visiting a friend in the Poconos last fall. It was in the low 60s and slightly wet. I initially thought it was nothing more than some slippage due to the gravel. However, it later occurred in my own drive in similar conditions. That's when I knew what was going on. In this scenario it's a non-issue safety-wise. However, the aforementioned occurrence happened well above Conti's temps and the conditions you "wouldn't drive the car in". Whom do I blame for that? Or is 60º in the rain not suitable for an AWD SUV?
Just to clarify, I "wouldn't drive the car in" conditions below 45 degrees, snow, etc...even though I did yesterday, granted no snow, and really not much of an issue. Ha. With respect to your Poconos scenario/60 degrees with rain, absolutely a MB, Conti, or MB/Conti issue, and I'm with you.

As for using a "high performance vehicle" in the cold, you may be right. And the tires may not be suited for the cold, but I have driven many cars with equivalent tires and not experienced any issues even approaching what I have felt with the GLC. Also, you're correct on others with different platforms experiencing the same scrubbing issue. Someone with an 2018 E63 wagon noted just this over in the scrubbing thread over in the non-AMG GLC forum. I think MB is having issues with it's 4matic and the problem is merely exasperated by the choice of tire fitment. FWIW, if this thing was rwd, I'd doubt we'd be having this conversation.
I've only driven a RWD car with equivalent tires in similar/cold conditions and they did not exhibit the "crabbing" like the GLC does. They were hard as a rock (RFT's) and you lost a tooth if you hit a pothole, but not the same thing. I'm leaning with you and others that it is probably a combo 4Matic/tire choice issue that probably isn't easily solvable other than to change wheel/tire setup...or maybe a software update to the 4Matic? Definitely sucks if it's your only driver and you don't swap to a winter tire setup, which is what I will probably do. So far it doesn't bother me and I love the vehicle, but would be nice if it's ultimately resolved.
Chrisk03 is offline  
Old 01-04-2018, 05:24 PM
  #32  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 155
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
2015 370Z Nismo, 2018 GLC43 (on order)
The funny thing is that years ago I was driving a customer's car, which was one of the original MLs, and it had a similar issue when making a tight turn but not as violent. And this car was fitted with some nice all season michelins. Mercedes response was that it was a common trait for the awd system. I remember thinking to myself that I would be pissed if I had bought that car and had them come at me like that.....now here we are.

My hope is that some nice all seasons come to market sooner than later or MB figures this one out. As I'm not keen on taking off the wheels I specifically ordered for three quarters of the year.
VET11B is offline  
Old 01-10-2018, 11:09 AM
  #33  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
AMG GLC43
We've had ours for about 5 weeks(2018) and it's been at the Mercedes dealership for nearly a week now with the same crabbing issue and I live in north east Texas. A tire swap doesn't seem like a long term solution to me and my wife doesn't feel safe driving it any longer as it has steadily gotten worse. The vehicle only has 1095 miles on it so far. I'm very disappointed and am trying to get into a GLE350 now. The loaner they gave us drives like a completely different vehicle. You can actually take a corner without worrying about the crabbing garbage. This is our first Mercedes too. So far, nothing has been resolved and I'm thinking of getting my attorney involved. Personally, I think Mercedes has a big problem on their hands.
Coldsteel is offline  
Old 01-10-2018, 05:43 PM
  #34  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 623
Thanked 51 Times in 39 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by Coldsteel View Post
We've had ours for about 5 weeks(2018) and it's been at the Mercedes dealership for nearly a week now with the same crabbing issue and I live in north east Texas. A tire swap doesn't seem like a long term solution to me and my wife doesn't feel safe driving it any longer as it has steadily gotten worse. The vehicle only has 1095 miles on it so far. I'm very disappointed and am trying to get into a GLE350 now. The loaner they gave us drives like a completely different vehicle. You can actually take a corner without worrying about the crabbing garbage. This is our first Mercedes too. So far, nothing has been resolved and I'm thinking of getting my attorney involved. Personally, I think Mercedes has a big problem on their hands.
Please update us on your issue as I would like to see how MB responds to your complaint. I don't understand how Mercedes can offer 21 inch wheel/tires and not know that there are no All-Season replacement tires. Are the guys with 20' and 19 tires/wheel combo having any issues?

If the manual states that the 21 tires should not be used under 45 degrees, that pretty much eliminates all of the northern US states across the country when Winter hits. I am wondering how is Mercedes marketing the Winter Event? Are they swapping out the wheel/tires combos on most of the GLC43 models and switching them to 19's or 20's? Are they warning people that the 21 wheels are not safe for weather conditions below 45? If I didn't lease this vehicle it would be a no brainer to purchase a winter wheel/tire combo but, I do not see me buying another set of wheel/tire combo just for the GLC and then having to sell them after my lease is over.
DameMD is offline  
Old 01-10-2018, 07:06 PM
  #35  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Dorset, UK
Posts: 551
Thanked 49 Times in 46 Posts
GLC 43
Originally Posted by DameMD View Post
Please update us on your issue as I would like to see how MB responds to your complaint. I don't understand how Mercedes can offer 21 inch wheel/tires and not know that there are no All-Season replacement tires. Are the guys with 20' and 19 tires/wheel combo having any issues?

If the manual states that the 21 tires should not be used under 45 degrees, that pretty much eliminates all of the northern US states across the country when Winter hits. I am wondering how is Mercedes marketing the Winter Event? Are they swapping out the wheel/tires combos on most of the GLC43 models and switching them to 19's or 20's? Are they warning people that the 21 wheels are not safe for weather conditions below 45? If I didn't lease this vehicle it would be a no brainer to purchase a winter wheel/tire combo but, I do not see me buying another set of wheel/tire combo just for the GLC and then having to sell them after my lease is over.
In the UK the ONLY all season tyres available for the 43 are 21 inch, 19 and 20 inch aren't available. Mine has 19 inch summer non run flats and the crabbing is BAD.
Philamg is offline  
Old 01-11-2018, 06:11 PM
  #36  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
AMG GLC43
I heard back from the dealership today and it isn't promising. The MB regional reps came to the dealership, viewed the 3 different 4Matic vehicles they have in for this issue and came back with, "this is a characteristic of the AMG", mainly at low speeds and colder temperatures. No tire swap was offered, no fix, nothing yet. I feel like I've been very reasonable thus far. Before I bash them, I'm going to see what they come back with regarding trade assistance. I was quite surprised when I heard this lame excuse. They called it shuddering instead of crabbing. In my book, when you buy an AMG product, it should be flawless and not have any issue when turning at any daily speed. So we're supposed to shudder into a parking place in a tight spot and hope we don't hit anything or anybody? So far, I have lost all confidence in MB as I thought they were one of the premiere companies in the world. Unfortunately, unless the dealership is willing to do something, I'm pretty helpless I'm afraid unless someone knows of some course of action they could suggest.
Coldsteel is offline  
Old 01-17-2018, 03:34 PM
  #37  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 623
Thanked 51 Times in 39 Posts
GLC43
Any updates? Did they at least offer a discount on smaller wheels and tires? I am in a rental now as I took my truck into the dealer to get a new Windshield due to a large crack (long story). We just got a little bit of snow last night and now I am really thinking about finding all season tires or snow tires. No way will I be driving the truck in even this little bit of snow with summer tires.
DameMD is offline  
Old 01-17-2018, 04:00 PM
  #38  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
AMG GLC43
Nothing yet and it's been over 2 weeks. We are expecting something today or tomorrow. I'll keep you posted of any changes.
Coldsteel is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Coldsteel For This Useful Post:
DameMD (01-17-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 02:11 PM
  #39  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C43 AMG Estate
Hi all, I went to my local MB dealership in the UK and they said they will order 4 new All Weather tyres for my C43 Estate. The lady I spoke to said the new tyres WILL resolve the issue. I find it hard to believe, but will report back when they've been fitted...
olimango is offline  
Old 01-18-2018, 04:14 PM
  #40  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Dorset, UK
Posts: 551
Thanked 49 Times in 46 Posts
GLC 43
Hi, what size wheels have you on your car, if you have 21 inch you will be ok, if you have 18 or 20 inch there are NO all weathers available. I have been trying to sort this for 10 months and now have a case with the motoring ombudsman against MB.

I assume the tyres on your car are the same size as those fitted to the GLC43.
Philamg is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Philamg For This Useful Post:
Coldsteel (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 05:47 PM
  #41  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
AMG GLC43
21". I'll bring that up to the service manager I've been dealing with. Thanks.
Coldsteel is offline  
Old 01-18-2018, 05:51 PM
  #42  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Dorset, UK
Posts: 551
Thanked 49 Times in 46 Posts
GLC 43
Great Coldsteel, wish I had ordered them now.
Philamg is offline  
Old 01-18-2018, 08:33 PM
  #43  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Rafael CA
Posts: 51
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
2017 GLC 43 AMG, 2013 Boxster
Curious to know what 21" all season tires are referred to, brand and identical size?
Widman is offline  
Old 01-19-2018, 12:06 PM
  #44  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
GLC43 AMG
You can't drive summer tires in cold temperatures, they just don't work. Change tires. This isn't a problem with the car.
Hockyz is offline  
Old 01-19-2018, 02:42 PM
  #45  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Dorset, UK
Posts: 551
Thanked 49 Times in 46 Posts
GLC 43
Originally Posted by Hockyz View Post
You can't drive summer tires in cold temperatures, they just don't work. Change tires. This isn't a problem with the car.
On RHD cars it IS a fault and has been admitted by MB, hence they are changing customers tyres to all weather ones free of charge.
Philamg is offline  
Old 01-19-2018, 03:20 PM
  #46  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
GLC43 AMG
I don’t see how left drive or right drive is relevant to an issue that will plague any car that was summer tires and a semi aggressive alignment, but good for you for getting MB to buy you some tires.
Hockyz is offline  
Old 01-19-2018, 04:33 PM
  #47  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Dorset, UK
Posts: 551
Thanked 49 Times in 46 Posts
GLC 43
Originally Posted by Hockyz View Post
I don’t see how left drive or right drive is relevant to an issue that will plague any car that was summer tires and a semi aggressive alignment, but good for you for getting MB to buy you some tires.
The MB letter to UK dealers says "Due to the positioning of the front axle differential on right hand drive cars, the steering position differs very slightly compared to left hand drive models. When the steering is on full lock this steering angle difference can result in the front tyre skipping sensation."
Philamg is offline  
Old 01-19-2018, 05:35 PM
  #48  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 623
Thanked 51 Times in 39 Posts
GLC43
I wish MB would offer free replacement tires in the US. I wonder since Europe is usually colder than the US, if customers are actually complaining more over there. Hence MB in the UK is providing better tires at no cost.

MBUSA needs to step up to the plate. They should not be selling or advertising the GLC43 with 21 summer tires to anybody living in the northern states during the winter period. It's a safety issue and inconvience to customers having to go out and purchase a new set of tires. I wonder if dealers are informing potential buyers.
DameMD is offline  
Old 01-20-2018, 10:04 AM
  #49  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ItalianJoe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 3,514
Thanked 666 Times in 558 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by DameMD View Post
I wish MB would offer free replacement tires in the US. I wonder since Europe is usually colder than the US, if customers are actually complaining more over there. Hence MB in the UK is providing better tires at no cost.

MBUSA needs to step up to the plate. They should not be selling or advertising the GLC43 with 21 summer tires to anybody living in the northern states during the winter period. It's a safety issue and inconvience to customers having to go out and purchase a new set of tires. I wonder if dealers are informing potential buyers.
No, it's not. It's a noise/vibration only at full lock due to the high caster the cars run. Different tires mask it by sliding instead of skipping, but it doesn't hurt anything either way.
ItalianJoe1 is offline  
Old 01-20-2018, 11:11 AM
  #50  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 494
Thanked 76 Times in 67 Posts
GLC43, Toyota, BMW
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1 View Post
No, it's not. It's a noise/vibration only at full lock due to the high caster the cars run. Different tires mask it by sliding instead of skipping, but it doesn't hurt anything either way.
Does anyone know the standard/official alignment specs for the GLC43? Would altering those fix the problem...or help the pretty awful tire wear?
Chrisk03 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: