GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

glc 43 for hpde

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lotus elise
glc 43 for hpde

hi all. newbie here who wants to get a glc43 as daily driver that can be used for 2-3 hpde events/year. im an experienced instructor who usually tracks a lotus elise but there are times when weather is bad or i need to take people with me, etc that lotus doesnt work for me. thats where glc would come in.

i tested one on street along with macan gts and bmw x4m and like the amg best. but can i trust it to last on track? i know the macan would hold up. i have instructed students in gle63 that did fine but never saw a glc. i would obviously not push it like i would a sports car, would give it cool down laps in middle of session, etc.

anyone here with glc track experience? ever see one on track? should i get tried and true macan instead? btw, considered alfa stelvio qf but impossible to get dealer to order me one.

thanks
Old 11-19-2017, 11:36 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Hey there. I saw one of your other posts mentioning the same questions.
I haven't had a track car for a few years, but have done about 20 track days over the last 10yrs.
A few weekends ago I took my son to a safe driving course that was held at a racetrack. Most of what we did was more autocross style with road cones in the parking lot, with a few slower speed laps on the track at the end (cold and wet, was actually snowing but not sticking)
I was surprised at how well the GLC handled. It was surprisingly competent and with the suspension in its firmest setting stays relatively flat in the corners.
There had been a few others there with the GLC43 a few weekends before for a track day and the staff there said they were really impressed with how well it handles for an SUV. (Apparently there was one corner where it would always be on 3 wheels, lol)

That being said, I can't speak to how well the transmission or vehicle would hold up long term to track use. If it's being driven moderately and just a few times a year, I would certainly hope it would be fine.
In my manual it says that Sport Plus mode is meant for track use only. It does have a lap timer too so it must be ok.

Originally Posted by dr. drift
hi all. newbie here who wants to get a glc43 as daily driver that can be used for 2-3 hpde events/year. im an experienced instructor who usually tracks a lotus elise but there are times when weather is bad or i need to take people with me, etc that lotus doesnt work for me. thats where glc would come in.

i tested one on street along with macan gts and bmw x4m and like the amg best. but can i trust it to last on track? i know the macan would hold up. i have instructed students in gle63 that did fine but never saw a glc. i would obviously not push it like i would a sports car, would give it cool down laps in middle of session, etc.

anyone here with glc track experience? ever see one on track? should i get tried and true macan instead? btw, considered alfa stelvio qf but impossible to get dealer to order me one.

thanks
Old 11-19-2017, 11:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC43 AMG, 2015 Chevy SS (Holden SSv)
My bet is the GLC43 will be a good track car with some mods. After driving it real hard on a 1000 mile drive on real nice California secondary roads, it feels quite planted and solid. You can push it hard and it is a good 7/10s car. Past that you start entering into some push that will limit it on the track. I still intend on taking this car to the track, but only after I have it lowered with a renntech lowering module. I think after it is lowered it will be more suited for the track...plus the addition of a dinan elite tune (as soon as they field it), then the car will really do well on the track. I am betting the AMG brand will hold up fine on the track...since that is what it has been designed for.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:41 AM

lotus elise
Good info so far. Thanks much
​​​​​​​
im not so much interested in its total performance capabilities. Im an experienced track instructor and will only drive it within its envelope. I just dont want it go into limp mode, over heat, stability control freak out because it doesnt understand its on track, etc. These are things macan can handle. I just like the amg better and wonder if it can do similarly on track
Old 11-20-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 GLC 43 SUV
I took mine out for a track day and noted zero issues with limp mode, overzealous stability control or brake fade. Super novice driver so grain of salt 'n all.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:20 PM

lotus elise
thats just the info i was looking for! thanks.
i did just get a good macan gts price - 3yrs, $5.5k down, $995/mo, 10k mi/yr. thats w ny sales tax. basically 5% off msrp of $75k
waiting for amg lease deal but msrp of glk is almost $10k less so hoping for 250 less/mo
Old 12-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
where do you live? I can hook up a GLC lease maybe (can try). Here at Summit point they wont let a GLC on track though (SUV)... the wouldnt let me take a GLA45 AMG (which isnt tall enough to be legally classed an SUV, no privacy glass allowed)
Old 12-11-2017, 02:19 PM

lotus elise
Thanks for offer but I've changed my mind from suv completely. Going w audi s5 sportback which has same room, awd but lower center of gravity. Plus it looks really pretty
Old 12-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by dr. drift
Thanks for offer but I've changed my mind from suv completely. Going w audi s5 sportback which has same room, awd but lower center of gravity. Plus it looks really pretty
Nice They are pretty. Plus they will let you on track with one of those lol.. what organization did you instruct for?
Old 12-11-2017, 04:12 PM

lotus elise
work w lots of groups - nasa, hod, scda, bmw
no issues with trucks @ pocono, njmp, lrp, wgi that i know of though
Old 12-11-2017, 04:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I wonder if its a organizational thing? I normally do scca and trackdaze and summit points events (FATT)... summit point was saying no SUV's... stopped me from getting a Forester XT turbo sports manual when I was younger (I did actually end up getting one later down the line).