GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Renntech lowering installed!

Old 12-27-2017, 11:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC43 AMG, 2015 Chevy SS (Holden SSv)
Renntech lowering installed!

So I first installed the Renntech factory setting...it lowered the car about 1.5" I would say. Then I downloaded the app and driver and custom installed a couple of lower settings. My slammed setting was slightly below the fender line in the front and rear. It looked real cool, but not really driveable. It was very bouncy and it probably was not getting any air in the air suspension. Not real good for daily driving. The second setting I did is in the pics and it is about .5" clearance front and rear. This is a great setting and nice aggressive stance! There is also a setting on the app that I wanted feedback for. It is a speed above which the suspension returns to stock setting. In other words, above 30mph (recommended) it raises up to the stock height. I am going to set that at 180mph since I want it lowered all the time. The question is this....is that a bad plan for the car? Does that affect the tires or brakes in anyway? Any input or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Renntech setting, nice look and a bit lower than stock.

Custom setting about .5" above the clearance line

My custom setting.
The following 2 users liked this post by birdmanf16:
bryant_is_bored (01-02-2018), Mikeamg43 (04-15-2018)
Old 12-29-2017, 12:24 AM

Sorry to say, but this is kind of a strange forum....88 views and nobody offers a comment, good or bad. And nobody has an opinion on the lowering vs stock? Is that normal for this forum? Not looking for kudos or positive feedback,, but the purpose of a forum is to chat and compare notes and discuss our cars and any mods we make to them. Just sayin'.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC43
You might be the first on the forum to lower the glc with the Renntech module that I have seen. I’ve had negative camber issues with other cars that I’ve lowered, and that of course affected inner tire wear. Do you visually notice any negative camber after lowering??
The following users liked this post:
birdmanf16 (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 10:06 AM

GLC43
Also, if you get a chance it would be great to see a full side profile shot with the car lowered as I’m considering the Renntech for our glc43 w/stock 21’s
birdmanf16 (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 GLC43 AMG - 2007 ML63 (Totaled)
It looks good, I have same spec as yours color and wheel wise. Would like to see more photos, more from the front and rear. Still debating between lowering links or a lowering module. Mike at airmatic lowering links says he has some made for the glc.
birdmanf16 (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 01:17 PM

There is life out there!!! Thanks for the replys, I appreciate that. The Renntech module is interesting and fun. It comes with a very small module that you hook up to the obd port and make your changes very easily. You follow easy instructions and it downloads the Renntech lowering preprogrammed setting. Probably 1.5" or so. It was nice, but not low enough for me. I want it lowered enough to change handling on the track. I downloaded the app on my laptop and started playing with it. The app allows you to slam it below the fender line. That is NOT a good setting. It is definately on the bumpstops and there is no suspension working at that point....or very little. I tried several levels and now settled on about .5" clearance. The more I looked at the app, I found more things to adjust. It has a section that controls the lowering based on your speed as well. The Renntech setting lowers the car only when you are driving below 30mph. If you go above, it will raise up to stock height. I don't like that idea personally. Based on city driving, it will always be going up and down constantly. I can't see that is a good thing for the car suspension. I made my own custom setting to lower it to my height and leave it there regardless of speed. If I go on a long trip and want more comfort, I can always adjust that to go to stock height above say 60 mph, or just easily return to stock. Fun mod and it is visually quite different. I think the black trim around the fenders on the white take away from the look tho....makes it look like there is a gap when there really is not. That can be changed however. I highly recommend the module even tho it is expensive. It is fun and really changes the look of the car!
Old 12-29-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by aorbeta
You might be the first on the forum to lower the glc with the Renntech module that I have seen. I’ve had negative camber issues with other cars that I’ve lowered, and that of course affected inner tire wear. Do you visually notice any negative camber after lowering??
I will take it someplace level and take a bunch of pictures today and take a look...actually, I hope it does introduce negative camber since that will help handling at the track.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:01 PM

GLC43
Curious how camber, toe, etc change after you get the height dialed in. I’m assuming it wouldn’t change much at all but only way to find out is by taking it to an alignment shop. I hear ya on the black trim. Someone on this forum painted all their trim pieces to body color, but on a black car. Painting your trim pieces would have a dramatic effect no doubt.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:40 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
I saw your post...when you posted it, but didn't comment for some reason. I agree the forums here can be a bit strange and not much activity compared to the other forums I visit, which as a new MB owner really stinks. Anyway, I would echo the comments for more pictures, especially the "standard" Renntech height. I personally don't care for the custom/lower settings that you have, but it's your car, not mine. I think I really like the Renntech factory setting, but somewhat hard to tell with just the one picture. Either way, it isn't a huge concern for me as the "price of admission" for this is pretty outrageous, IMO. I also would want to leave it on the standard Renntech setting and if what your are saying about the 30mph up/down is true, I'd bet it does/can wreak havoc on the air-suspension. No thanks, unless they offered some type of longer-term warranty. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2017, 08:41 AM
ELD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes-Benz GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
I'd bet it does/can wreak havoc on the air-suspension.
Like others, I saw this post and didn't comment. In my case I didn't have anything positive to say and so remained silent. Imho, lowering the car detracts from it's appearance - but then I dislike white paint finishes, so our tastes are obviously quite different. I'd also agree with Chrisk03 and would encourage you to ensure that you are not damaging the vehicle running it in a lower than factory setting.
birdmanf16 (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 05:08 PM

not slammed, but lower than the Renntech setting. I set it to where it remains at this level regardless of speed. I will use the lower setting on the track!
The following 5 users liked this post by birdmanf16:
bryant_is_bored (01-02-2018), Chrisk03 (12-30-2017), Mikeamg43 (04-15-2018), scotchy (02-08-2018), Toma Gregovsky (01-04-2018)
Old 12-30-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by birdmanf16

not slammed, but lower than the Renntech setting. I set it to where it remains at this level regardless of speed. I will use the lower setting on the track!
That looks better from this shot. I personally would want just a tad higher...the rear looks good, but the front seems off at this height. Congrats and let us know how it goes on the track.

PS: Love the red brake calipers. Did you do or ?
Old 12-30-2017, 07:56 PM

Yeah, still messing with the best setting. It has unlimited options for height. Red calipers painted by Tag Motorsports north of San Diego. They also matched the tint on the front windows for me. Great outfit!
Old 01-02-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
Looks great! I'm debating ponying up for the LM or just going with links somehow. All the camber/toe issues just come with lowering so just get it dialed in as close as possible with a reputable alignment shop.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Accord
Looks great but I have a really honest question about this lowering kit; Why lower an SUV? I mean, it looks cool but SUV's are supposed to sit a bit higher than cars anyway to get a better view of the road etc. Why not just get a C class and lower it? Not sure what the appeal is to lower an SUV.
Again, looks good but is that the only point here? For looks?
birdmanf16 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 02:31 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Originally Posted by birdmanf16
Sorry to say, but this is kind of a strange forum....88 views and nobody offers a comment, good or bad. And nobody has an opinion on the lowering vs stock? Is that normal for this forum? Not looking for kudos or positive feedback,, but the purpose of a forum is to chat and compare notes and discuss our cars and any mods we make to them. Just sayin'.
I was away for awhile. You should know that not many people post performance stuff or mods for the GLC43 accept a few of us lol. I mostly see post about waiting for an order, or someone's buying experience. I am waiting for some of the 63 guys to get their trucks to liven up the forums. Most of the time I am personally browsing the GLC300 forums or c43.

Back on topic, that drop is sex on wheels. I want to drop/lower the GLC but living on the east coast and knowing that we can get hit with snow at anytime, I am probably going to wait until Spring.

Also, I still can't fathom paying over $1,500 for just a control module as I can just spend about $1500 for a full suspension/coil-over set up. I wish they can offer the control module for under a $1000 then I can see that being reasonable. I hope a company can produce lowering links which seem to be very easy to install and uninstall at a really cheap price.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 G550. 2018 AMG GT roadster
Looks very nice. I have one for the GLS 63 not installed yet. Did you use the Windows’ app to lower it more than the Renntech settings? Any tutorial will be helpful. Thanks! Roy