GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Text Messages automatically 'Read aloud' changes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 43 AMG
Question Text Messages automatically 'Read aloud' changes

Recently the automatic 'Read Aloud' function of new text messages arriving has stopped working in the car (GLC 43 with Command). Until recently, a new Text Message would arrive on the phone and the Mercedes Command system would automatically reduce the music/radio and say "New Text Message received, would you like to read it or ignore it" and then bleep, waiting for the drivers response to "read it or ignore it". If you chose "read it", it would then read the full text message etc. However this suddenly stopped working which is very unfortunate, as this was very useful when driving.

The automatic read aloud of messages worked by default when a phone was connected and worked on multiple different phones (Android, iOS and Windows Phone) but however since Oct/Nov, after 10 months of working well, it suddenly stopped asking and instead you hear a double bleep when a text message arrives. Now, if you wanted a new text message read aloud, you have to manually select; Telephone -> Messages -> New message -> Read aloud - to hear the text message.

Clearly something has changed, (I don't think it was me!) I checked the Vehicle/ Telephone settings and have taken the car into the Mercedes Garage twice, to have it check-out, where they reloaded/updated the software, but this has not restored the automatic read aloud new messages function. Unfortunately, the Mercedes garage is now telling me that the automatic read aloud is NOT the usual behaviour for the system. (Although they explained that it was possible last year with a Windows Phone, but since a software update on the phone, this is no longer possible). However it does not explain why the automatic read aloud worked for 10 months on my Android and Windows Phone and my wife's iPhone.

Does anyone have this automatic read aloud function? (Where a new Text messages is automatically announced to the driver, with the voice giving the option to "read or ignore the message"?) I would like to assess if this was just me or if others have the functionality, I used to have.

Thank you.
James
Old 03-04-2018, 07:15 AM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Jambla
Recently the automatic 'Read Aloud' function of new text messages arriving has stopped working in the car (GLC 43 with Command). Until recently, a new Text Message would arrive on the phone and the Mercedes Command system would automatically reduce the music/radio and say "New Text Message received, would you like to read it or ignore it" and then bleep, waiting for the drivers response to "read it or ignore it". If you chose "read it", it would then read the full text message etc. However this suddenly stopped working which is very unfortunate, as this was very useful when driving.

The automatic read aloud of messages worked by default when a phone was connected and worked on multiple different phones (Android, iOS and Windows Phone) but however since Oct/Nov, after 10 months of working well, it suddenly stopped asking and instead you hear a double bleep when a text message arrives. Now, if you wanted a new text message read aloud, you have to manually select; Telephone -> Messages -> New message -> Read aloud - to hear the text message.

Clearly something has changed, (I don't think it was me!) I checked the Vehicle/ Telephone settings and have taken the car into the Mercedes Garage twice, to have it check-out, where they reloaded/updated the software, but this has not restored the automatic read aloud new messages function. Unfortunately, the Mercedes garage is now telling me that the automatic read aloud is NOT the usual behaviour for the system. (Although they explained that it was possible last year with a Windows Phone, but since a software update on the phone, this is no longer possible). However it does not explain why the automatic read aloud worked for 10 months on my Android and Windows Phone and my wife's iPhone.

Does anyone have this automatic read aloud function? (Where a new Text messages is automatically announced to the driver, with the voice giving the option to "read or ignore the message"?) I would like to assess if this was just me or if others have the functionality, I used to have.

Thank you.
James
Mine never read aloud. All I get is a beep and then have to go to the 18 steps to get it to read it to me like you described. 2017 glc300

It's ultimately easier to just hold the talk button and ask Google to read it to me. But it does bother me that a $2200 system doesn't perform this simple task