GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Cross Traffic Alert

Old 04-24-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 43 4Matic
Unhappy Cross Traffic Alert

I searched threads on this site but there was nothing really addressing this white elephant. Does the GLC have cross traffic alert and automatic braking?
MB advertises they have Cross Traffic Alert in their Intelligent Driver package. One of the main reasons for my getting this package. When I described to the salesman why I wanted it, specifically for assistance to blind areas when backing out of parallel parking spots and when nuts speed through parking lanes at malls, I was assured that was what it had.
This is what I found out (the hard way),after buying the package and taking possession of the car.
No, it does not have automated braking for cross traffic.(The adds never claimed to have automatic braking for cross traffic).
Yes, it does have cross traffic alert. FOR THE FRONT OF THE CAR ONLY!!! None for the cross traffic at the back of the car!!!
Now, I try to rationalize this decision and have a problem doing so. When the car is backed into a spot at a mall, you have limited access to opening the trunk and loading the vehicle. So you normally go front in.
And when you back in to a spot, you have a much greater visibility to cross traffic than if you went front in.
So where you really need the assistance is at the rear of the car where you have limited view even with the 360 camera, for cars traveling/speeding the lane.
Ideally Front and Back Cross Traffic alert and braking would be a choice for such a prestigious vehicle at a minimal extra cost, which most of us who opt for this package, would gladly pay.
I welcome member's thoughts.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
'23 EQS 580
I find that when backing out, switching the rear view to 180 degrees makes a big difference for seeing rear cross traffic. For me, with 360 degree camera, I just push down on the dial when in reverse and the screen shifts from 360 degree to back camera 180 with a wide angle view, very helpful to see what is going on back there.
The following users liked this post:
DaDriver (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DaDriver
I searched threads on this site but there was nothing really addressing this white elephant. Does the GLC have cross traffic alert and automatic braking?
MB advertises they have Cross Traffic Alert in their Intelligent Driver package. One of the main reasons for my getting this package. When I described to the salesman why I wanted it, specifically for assistance to blind areas when backing out of parallel parking spots and when nuts speed through parking lanes at malls, I was assured that was what it had.
This is what I found out (the hard way),after buying the package and taking possession of the car.
No, it does not have automated braking for cross traffic.(The adds never claimed to have automatic braking for cross traffic).
Yes, it does have cross traffic alert. FOR THE FRONT OF THE CAR ONLY!!! None for the cross traffic at the back of the car!!!
Now, I try to rationalize this decision and have a problem doing so. When the car is backed into a spot at a mall, you have limited access to opening the trunk and loading the vehicle. So you normally go front in.
And when you back in to a spot, you have a much greater visibility to cross traffic than if you went front in.
So where you really need the assistance is at the rear of the car where you have limited view even with the 360 camera, for cars traveling/speeding the lane.
Ideally Front and Back Cross Traffic alert and braking would be a choice for such a prestigious vehicle at a minimal extra cost, which most of us who opt for this package, would gladly pay.
I welcome member's thoughts.
GLC43 does not has cross traffic alert, it does not stop for you when you backing up!
only has Collision prevention assist plus is standard on GLC43, 63, however only detach the front not the rear.

I personally don’t rely on these gadgets, just like these blind spot indicators. I don’t trust them even all my new cars has it, I still turn my head very time! I teach my kid drive with manual trans and noting but a basic car. No tech gadget, turn the head is the basic move they have to get use too.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Vehicle
Originally Posted by matts
I find that when backing out, switching the rear view to 180 degrees makes a big difference for seeing rear cross traffic. For me, with 360 degree camera, I just push down on the dial when in reverse and the screen shifts from 360 degree to back camera 180 with a wide angle view, very helpful to see what is going on back there.
I agree, being able to see around the corners of the vehicle at 180 degree angle is much better than relying on a rear cross traffic alert. I honestly prefer that over a sensor/audible alerts any day of the week.
-
-
-
DaDriver (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 02:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC 43
Angry

Or you can be like my wife and ignore all the beeps going on in Her Acura and back out into someone anyway
Old 04-24-2018, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Vehicle
Originally Posted by Brew1
Or you can be like my wife and ignore all the beeps going on in Her Acura and back out into someone anyway
That's never good!
Old 04-24-2018, 05:35 PM

2018 GLC 43 4Matic
Thanks Guys,
Will try the 180 again. Normally doesn't see far enough when a car is coming fast down the aisle. Any additional alert against these id_ _ts helps.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:32 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
Definitely no rear traffic alert in the GLC package (nor has MB ever advertised that feature for the GLC yet). I use the 360 view with the rear camera but I also physically look to the rear. You really should not totally rely on technology to prevent collisions...you always need to be engaged in what is happening around your vehicle.
DaDriver (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 01:21 PM

2018 GLC 43 4Matic
Originally Posted by Tylbran
Definitely no rear traffic alert in the GLC package (nor has MB ever advertised that feature for the GLC yet). I use the 360 view with the rear camera but I also physically look to the rear. You really should not totally rely on technology to prevent collisions...you always need to be engaged in what is happening around your vehicle.
Not to belabour the issue, but I was assured by the salesman it had this feature, as I spend quite a bit of time in Florida and ... well you know the rest. I do check the rear as best as I can from the driver's seat, but this doesn't always help, especially when there is an extended pickup or large van blocking the view. Been accident-free for almost 20 years, and want it to stay that way. Just saying another small investment such as rear cross traffic alert is befitting such a vehicle. Redundancy better than Accidentcy