GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Am I crazy for thinking this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLE63S Coupe, '21 RS7, '21 Supra
Am I crazy for thinking this?

Thinking of trading in my 2018 X3 M40i for the GLC63S AMG coupe. Am I crazy for thinking about doing that since the BMW interior is newer, it is more practical, and the SUV is plenty fast enough? The problem is the drive in the X3 feels numb and I love the way the GLC looks. I have a 2018 E63S so I am familiar with the engine and the sound and while the X3 cracks and pops, it doesn't sound as nice as the AMG. Would you guys make the plunge for a fully loaded black on black? Not looking forward to having that old Mercedes key though.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:30 PM

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
'18 Black GLC63S
Well, you have an E63S, which is already one of the most badass sedans on the planet. I had a E92 with the N55 engine. Loved my BMW, great engine. But this V8 in an SUV is something else. Go with your gut. And good luck.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:14 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by TheGuac
Thinking of trading in my 2018 X3 M40i for the GLC63S AMG coupe. Am I crazy for thinking about doing that since the BMW interior is newer, it is more practical, and the SUV is plenty fast enough? The problem is the drive in the X3 feels numb and I love the way the GLC looks. I have a 2018 E63S so I am familiar with the engine and the sound and while the X3 cracks and pops, it doesn't sound as nice as the AMG. Would you guys make the plunge for a fully loaded black on black? Not looking forward to having that old Mercedes key though.
Funny, I briefly thought about trading in my 18 GLC43 for the 18 X3M40i as I thought it drove slightly better. That and the newer interior/tech, but I do prefer the GLC 43/63 look and the MB sound seems less "artificial" even though I liked the Bimmer cracks/pops. Since you have the E63S, I'd probably stay put as you have 2 great options to choose from that are characteristically different drives, but both fun in their own way.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Funny, I briefly thought about trading in my 18 GLC43 for the 18 X3M40i as I thought it drove slightly better. That and the newer interior/tech, but I do prefer the GLC 43/63 look and the MB sound seems less "artificial" even though I liked the Bimmer cracks/pops. Since you have the E63S, I'd probably stay put as you have 2 great options to choose from that are characteristically different drives, but both fun in their own way.
Yeah, I'm leaning that way too. The dealerships I've spoken to don't really want to discount the 63s either, which is a bit of a bummer.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:49 PM

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
'18 Black GLC63S
You are having what I refer to as first world problems. Your BMW is a fantastic car. Your E63S is a fantastically better car. Would I want a GLC63S over the Bimmer, absolutely. But at this point, you’re covered between the two all day. I’d be happy to be in your shoes. Two great rides.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC43AMG
Interesting ... came at our GLC43 AMG decision from the other direction. We started by looking at the BMW X3 M40i (we already have an X5 (F15) 50i - which we love and are keeping!), loved the X3 sounds and how nimbly it drove. We were almost there, pen over paper, but then thought again. Evaluated the Macan S ... significantly more expensive, great handling, a PDK which uncannily puts you in the right gear every time, incredible seating but somehow felt "cramped". Then we drove a GLC43 coupe, with a performance exhaust. Makes all the pops and bangs you could ever want, put it in Sport+ and the transmission is as close to a PDK as you can get. We went home, read all the reviews and specs then decided on a GLC43 SUV, but configured it just the same as the coupe we tested. We love it! Great performance, I'm super impressed by the stability and lack of cornering roll, the engine power seems endless. On the downside, the seats lack cushioning and side support compared to others, especially for long trips (try a Cayenne Turbo some time!) and the MB navigation is frustrating after using BMWs for so many years, but this vehicle has earned its place in the garage.

Now, putting a V8 in this? A few years ago I would have jumped at it ... I've had an SLK AMG and all my other vehicles were V8s, even had a six cylinder MGC (versus the 4 banger MGB) at one time. But you pay a price for all that weight up front in terms of handling and nimbleness. My garage is now gradually transitioning to 6 cylinders, even my F150 is now a V6 ... which has better towing capability than the V8 model! That being said, all the models you're evaluating are great cars, each with their own characteristics. Enjoy ... life is short and you only go around once!
Old 05-19-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
2020GLC63
Originally Posted by NCRog
Interesting ... came at our GLC43 AMG decision from the other direction. We started by looking at the BMW X3 M40i (we already have an X5 (F15) 50i - which we love and are keeping!), loved the X3 sounds and how nimbly it drove. We were almost there, pen over paper, but then thought again. Evaluated the Macan S ... significantly more expensive, great handling, a PDK which uncannily puts you in the right gear every time, incredible seating but somehow felt "cramped". Then we drove a GLC43 coupe, with a performance exhaust. Makes all the pops and bangs you could ever want, put it in Sport+ and the transmission is as close to a PDK as you can get. We went home, read all the reviews and specs then decided on a GLC43 SUV, but configured it just the same as the coupe we tested. We love it! Great performance, I'm super impressed by the stability and lack of cornering roll, the engine power seems endless. On the downside, the seats lack cushioning and side support compared to others, especially for long trips (try a Cayenne Turbo some time!) and the MB navigation is frustrating after using BMWs for so many years, but this vehicle has earned its place in the garage.

Now, putting a V8 in this? A few years ago I would have jumped at it ... I've had an SLK AMG and all my other vehicles were V8s, even had a six cylinder MGC (versus the 4 banger MGB) at one time. But you pay a price for all that weight up front in terms of handling and nimbleness. My garage is now gradually transitioning to 6 cylinders, even my F150 is now a V6 ... which has better towing capability than the V8 model! That being said, all the models you're evaluating are great cars, each with their own characteristics. Enjoy ... life is short and you only go around once!
We too felt like the Macan was to small, the GLC seems like the right size for a daily. Regarding paying the price for all the weight up front??? Hum not sure how much added weight there is but it sure feels awesome! I've driven the glc43 amg it was quick but not like the 63s

Last edited by brad65ford; 05-19-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:47 PM

Yeah I suppose these are definitely first world problems. I don't know, I've always found the M40i a little "hollow" and not too comfortable on long distance drives. The tech is leagues ahead of the C class though but the interior maintains a plasticky nature. For being built in the USA it is actually not bad, my C43 that was built here used to rattle everywhere. I just love the exterior looks of the AMG especially when it is all blacked out, looks a little nicer than my E63 even.