GLC43 21" tires in Australia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC43
GLC43 21" tires in Australia

Hi All,

I have a GLC43 wagon, bought in Brisbane late 2016. I've had the "usual" tyre scrubbing / crabbing since day one and after 11 thousand kilometres, the Continental front tires were down to metal (outside wear only). Took it in the MB Brisbane and after a bit of back and forth, they replaced the tyres, out of "good will" with a harder compound Continental tyre (or so I was told) to overcome the crabbing. I'm now on the Continental Contesport 5 and at 22 thousand kilometres, they need replacing again. I've been back to MB and they claim the tires are wearing "as expected" for this model. The advice I was given was to contact MB Australia. This obviously got me nowhere as they simply called MB Brisbane and asked the same person I spoke with.

Anyhow, I refuse to allow MB Brisbane replace the tires with the same Continental's and charge me nearly $800 per tyre.

What are some alternatives to the Continental's that people have used and are they any good? I'm struggling to even find a tyre place that can get 255/40 R21's in any brand. I'm pretty sure I saw on another thread that someone had used a slightly different size, but I can't find that thread anymore.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-04-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by bobtowers
Hi All,

I have a GLC43 wagon, bought in Brisbane late 2016. I've had the "usual" tyre scrubbing / crabbing since day one and after 11 thousand kilometres, the Continental front tires were down to metal (outside wear only). Took it in the MB Brisbane and after a bit of back and forth, they replaced the tyres, out of "good will" with a harder compound Continental tyre (or so I was told) to overcome the crabbing. I'm now on the Continental Contesport 5 and at 22 thousand kilometres, they need replacing again. I've been back to MB and they claim the tires are wearing "as expected" for this model. The advice I was given was to contact MB Australia. This obviously got me nowhere as they simply called MB Brisbane and asked the same person I spoke with.

Anyhow, I refuse to allow MB Brisbane replace the tires with the same Continental's and charge me nearly $800 per tyre.

What are some alternatives to the Continental's that people have used and are they any good? I'm struggling to even find a tyre place that can get 255/40 R21's in any brand. I'm pretty sure I saw on another thread that someone had used a slightly different size, but I can't find that thread anymore.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Out of interest, what tyre pressures were you running? Im currently running 37psi all 'round which seems to have helped the scrubbing issue. Mine too have worn on the outside faster than the middle or inside. Ive done just over 8000km's and the fronts have about 4mm of tread left on the outside and around 5.7mm in the middle / inside. The rear tyres are practically brand new still, no crazy wear happening there. I might have to hit up the dealer for some new front tyres on my first service if they drastically wear further.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by tiger_x
Out of interest, what tyre pressures were you running? Im currently running 37psi all 'round which seems to have helped the scrubbing issue. Mine too have worn on the outside faster than the middle or inside. Ive done just over 8000km's and the fronts have about 4mm of tread left on the outside and around 5.7mm in the middle / inside. The rear tyres are practically brand new still, no crazy wear happening there. I might have to hit up the dealer for some new front tyres on my first service if they drastically wear further.
I started at the recommended pressure, however, after noticing the wear, I increased the pressure to 36psi.