MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc63s-glc63-glc43-amg-suv-coupe-x253-c253-217/)
-   -   2018/2019 GLC Possible to add Apple Car Play (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc63s-glc63-glc43-amg-suv-coupe-x253-c253/713325-2018-2019-glc-possible-add-apple-car-play.html)

Tuned AMG 07-09-2018 03:35 PM

2018/2019 GLC Possible to add Apple Car Play

It really sucks you can't have safety features and Apple Car Play.

In the 2019 C Class Apple Car Play and "Driver Assistance Package" can co-exist.

Will Mercedes make is possible for a 2018/2019 with "Driver Assistance Package" to be upgraded with Apple Car Play? I don't want a third party mod which seldom work perfectly.

Chrisk03 07-09-2018 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tuned AMG (Post 7497951)
It really sucks you can't have safety features and Apple Car Play.

In the 2019 C Class Apple Car Play and "Driver Assistance Package" can co-exist.

Will Mercedes make is possible for a 2018/2019 with "Driver Assistance Package" to be upgraded with Apple Car Play? I don't want a third party mod which seldom work perfectly.

You can also have SmartPhone Integration (AppleCarPlay/AndroidAuto) with COMAND in the C Class for 2019.

I would love for MB to make this retro to my 2018, but I highly doubt they will. Apparently, the NTG5.5 headunit can handle it, but for some odd reason MB isn't giving it to the GLC. Hell, I'd even pay for the retro if made available...COMAND just doesn't cut it.

"The Best or Nothing"...sometimes. :)

ajmtbm 07-09-2018 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisk03 (Post 7498043)
You can also have SmartPhone Integration (AppleCarPlay/AndroidAuto) with COMAND in the C Class for 2019.

I would love for MB to make this retro to my 2018, but I highly doubt they will. Apparently, the NTG5.5 headunit can handle it, but for some odd reason MB isn't giving it to the GLC. Hell, I'd even pay for the retro if made available...COMAND just doesn't cut it.

"The Best or Nothing"...sometimes. :)

its interesting, you think they would allow it and could be a good revenue stream. $500 for an hour in the shop hooked up to a computer for the update, im sure a few people would pay for it.

affalterthought 10-23-2018 06:35 PM

I would pay for it.

viper3ez 10-23-2018 09:09 PM

a good software developer could probably do it with access to the right code.

it really is stupid.

Straberrib 10-30-2018 11:18 PM

I would pay for it too! When I purchased my 2017 GLC43, I was told by the salesperson that MB would be coming out with an update so that you could pay to have Apple Car Play installed. Obviously I was fed a line of b.s. and have since found out that is not true. Frustrating! Mercedes has always lagged a bit behind in technology. I wanted to throw a party when they finally decided to make keyless go part of the premium 1 package. Push button start came standard in most other cars, but not in a $50k MB. Oh well, I will keep reminding myself I bought the car for the performance and build quality....:)

gravity101 10-31-2018 05:59 AM

I have apple and android in a 2018 with audio20 glc43. I didn't have it in a 2018 audio20 c43 however.. my friend who has his 2018 c43 had it activated by his dealer for free. there are also modules online(ebay) to set it on. I read all 2017 and onwards has apple and android but some markets/models have it disabled. this proved true when my friend got his enabled at the dealership. dont know about it coexisting with a safety assist package, we don't get packages in our market. I have distronic plus but no lane assist.

Chrisk03 10-31-2018 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by gravity101 (Post 7590900)
I have apple and android in a 2018 with audio20 glc43. I didn't have it in a 2018 audio20 c43 however.. my friend who has his 2018 c43 had it activated by his dealer for free. there are also modules online(ebay) to set it on. I read all 2017 and onwards has apple and android but some markets/models have it disabled. this proved true when my friend got his enabled at the dealership. dont know about it coexisting with a safety assist package, we don't get packages in our market. I have distronic plus but no lane assist.

I believe that is 100% true for a vehicle with audio20 (meaning, can be "activated"), but not with COMAND. I haven't found anywhere that says it's "sitting in the background" with the COMAND system to be activated, so no dice. I've looked at pretty much all of the online/Ebay modules and don't really get a good feeling about any of them, not to mention, tearing apart the dash on a new car, even though that looks to be fairly easy.

My HOPE was that post-Sept 2017 GLC builds with the NTG5.0/5.5 COMAND system would somehow allow MB to offer ACP/AA as a later option, like Mazda will be doing on their prior vehicles. It still sounds like it's more of a hardware (pre and post-Sept 2017 GLC's) issue with COMAND vs just MB adding software, but that info has come from the aftermarket module sellers. Either way, kind of frustrating that MB offers COMAND WITH ACP/AA, and has, to vehicles like the GLA45 and still doesn't for the GLC...one of the hottest segments out there. Oh well...

tpherson 10-31-2018 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisk03 (Post 7591136)
I believe that is 100% true for a vehicle with audio20 (meaning, can be "activated"), but not with COMAND. I haven't found anywhere that says it's "sitting in the background" with the COMAND system to be activated, so no dice. I've looked at pretty much all of the online/Ebay modules and don't really get a good feeling about any of them, not to mention, tearing apart the dash on a new car, even though that looks to be fairly easy.

My HOPE was that post-Sept 2017 GLC builds with the NTG5.0/5.5 COMAND system would somehow allow MB to offer ACP/AA as a later option, like Mazda will be doing on their prior vehicles. It still sounds like it's more of a hardware (pre and post-Sept 2017 GLC's) issue with COMAND vs just MB adding software, but that info has come from the aftermarket module sellers. Either way, kind of frustrating that MB offers COMAND WITH ACP/AA, and has, to vehicles like the GLA45 and still doesn't for the GLC...one of the hottest segments out there. Oh well...

I checked with Unichip which offer an unlock/activation for CarPlay and Android Auto via OBD2 port. Sent them my VIN and they said it was a no go. They suggested their SmartBox. After watching the install video, no way I was going to disassemble my new car, and it did not appear the integration was really that seamless.

Got no idea why MB can't make this happen, but as stated above, seems like its more than just a software issue. I contacted mbenzcoder to ask if they know what the problem is and if a software solution was possible in the future.

http://www.unichip-tec.com/mercedes_benz_carplay.html

https://mbenzcoder.com/

Chrisk03 10-31-2018 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by tpherson (Post 7591257)
I checked with Unichip which offer an unlock/activation for CarPlay and Android Auto via OBD2 port. Sent them my VIN and they said it was a no go. They suggested their SmartBox. After watching the install video, no way I was going to disassemble my new car, and it did not appear the integration was really that seamless.

Got no idea why MB can't make this happen, but as stated above, seems like its more than just a software issue.

http://www.unichip-tec.com/mercedes_benz_carplay.html

Yep, did the same with them...and yep, same thoughts as you about tearing up my new car interior and seamless operation or lack thereof.

The "Best or Nothing"... hehe...

Truckeralex 02-05-2019 10:06 AM

Sad but true

this over the air update stuff is why Tesla is grabbing all the business. These screens should be upgraded YEARLY just like the gps maps.

Sirius went to all the trouble to have great colorful logos and these doofuses use them at 1” x 1”, ridiculous!

Add some color choices, just do SOMETHING, and system would feel new again.

InsomniacDriver 03-02-2020 10:48 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am curious if these modules work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Activa...UAAOSw5WRd3yzY

Our 2018 GLC43 has the driver assistance package and COMAND, does it not matter and this is just the dealer module in a small package?

Would be cool if it did...

Chrisk03 03-02-2020 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by InsomniacDriver (Post 7997454)
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am curious if these modules work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Activa...UAAOSw5WRd3yzY

Our 2018 GLC43 has the driver assistance package and COMAND, does it not matter and this is just the dealer module in a small package?

Would be cool if it did...

Not for a vehicle with COMAND. With COMAND, you are basically screwed unless you update hardware, as well. When I was looking previously, there were some plug in (hardware) options for vehicles with COMAND, but you had to tear up your dash to install and most seemed to be junk from China...no thanks. Gave up and lived with it until I sold my 18' GLC43.

izzyAMG 11-21-2020 01:26 AM

Finally, Carplay for our 2019 GLC63

So I am not sure if you guys have found a solution already since this is an older topic, but I found one. We have a 2019 GLC63 that we purchased last Dec 2019 with the upgraded system (COMMAND) so no Carplay. We also had a chance to get in a 2020 but the big discount swayed us not to and the only negative about it was no Carplay. There were a few solutions out including replacing the whole display to a whole updated android unit but I thought that was just not the right thing to do just for Carplay, this was back when we first got the car. A few others was iffy and one but cost over $1000. I just revisited this issue again and I finally found one and I actually just finished installing it. It does need a bit of figuring out because the instructions and online videos can vary by model and can be confusing. The good thing is this device provide wireless or wired CarPlay or android auto. You can also do airplay and has connections for HDMI and will still use the current controls. So far over all I think its a great solution and with some creativity I was able to do a clean install in under two hours. I have yet to do a write up but just to let you know this is a good solution and at a good price point.

Here is the link to the product. https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ec062efef5.jpg

63VIBES 11-27-2020 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by izzyAMG (Post 8207485)
So I am not sure if you guys have found a solution already since this is an older topic, but I found one. We have a 2019 GLC63 that we purchased last Dec 2019 with the upgraded system (COMMAND) so no Carplay. We also had a chance to get in a 2020 but the big discount swayed us not to and the only negative about it was no Carplay. There were a few solutions out including replacing the whole display to a whole updated android unit but I thought that was just not the right thing to do just for Carplay, this was back when we first got the car. A few others was iffy and one but cost over $1000. I just revisited this issue again and I finally found one and I actually just finished installing it. It does need a bit of figuring out because the instructions and online videos can vary by model and can be confusing. The good thing is this device provide wireless or wired CarPlay or android auto. You can also do airplay and has connections for HDMI and will still use the current controls. So far over all I think its a great solution and with some creativity I was able to do a clean install in under two hours. I have yet to do a write up but just to let you know this is a good solution and at a good price point.

Here is the link to the product. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ec062efef5.jpg

do you have video of the after?

izzyAMG 11-28-2020 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by 63VIBES (Post 8212543)
do you have video of the after?

A video... What do you want to see moving? It’s just Carplay. I did start a thread as far as install process. Other than that it adds CarPlay either wireless via wifi or wired via USB cable. You can also airplay your mobile screen.

Chaznik 11-28-2020 08:16 AM

I have also just installed this ! It wasn’t too hard to install at all - pretty impressed so far, can even use the voice control for SIRI

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...79e97b477.jpeg

Rocky04 11-28-2020 04:30 PM

Hi,
It looks there are different units out there.
Did you have to install a microphone or is it using the one from the car? And, did you have to route a cable to the USB port in the center console?

Chaznik 11-28-2020 04:34 PM

I installed this unit - same as the road trip one...it took a month to arrive and had a bit missing..but worth the effort!

It uses the original microphone and you do have to wire a USB connection to the armrest console

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRELESS-....m46890.l49292

izzyAMG 11-28-2020 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rocky04 (Post 8212898)
Hi,
It looks there are different units out there.
Did you have to install a microphone or is it using the one from the car? And, did you have to route a cable to the USB port in the center console?

no mic, you do voice commands the same way. Yes you route the audio jack to the center console. I used a plastic reamer to make a small hole. Then plug the included audio box with a male usb and plug it to either female usb.

HighPercentile 06-21-2022 09:47 AM

Audiophile here! Can anyone comment on the quality of audio coming through this system? My intended car has the Burmester Surround Sound System as well as the ability to play DVD’s, so I’m hoping it can also play 24bit files as well. Perhaps something like a Dragonfly DAC could be wired inline?

Also, have any of the iOS updates killed this tech at any point?

Regis 06-21-2022 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by HighPercentile (Post 8583986)
Audiophile here! Can anyone comment on the quality of audio coming through this system? My intended car has the Burmester Surround Sound System as well as the ability to play DVD’s, so I’m hoping it can also play 24bit files as well. Perhaps something like a Dragonfly DAC could be wired inline?

Also, have any of the iOS updates killed this tech at any point?

What model year is your "intended car"? Newer GLCs may already have CarPlay built in, negating the need for this item.

HighPercentile 06-21-2022 11:39 AM

My bad, a 2018 as described by the OP. I also read his EXCELLENT thread re: the install but have not double-posted this question (yet).