Adding another AMG to the family

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 66 Likes on 29 Posts
996 Turbo, E86 Z4M, GLE 63 AMGs
Adding another AMG to the family

Hi All!

Just wanted to introduce myself to the GLC family. Have been and will still continue to be an owner of a 15' W204 C63AMG 507. However our family needs have changed, and the car being replaced, "Tesla Model X75D" wasn't really practical for long road trips + it attracted WAY too much attention.

We wanted something more discreet, a sleeper if you may, and started looking at Volvo XC60s and even started considering a Lexus. However i have always had a fantastic experience with my Mercedes Benz dealership, and decided to consider a GLC43AMG because its a lot more compact, and suited our needs.

Long story short, i went to the dealership to check out the GLC43, and left with a GLC63 for an extended test drive + "convince" the co-pilot on the car.
Am still working out the details, but we have our eyes on a selenite grey GLC63 AMG.

I was told by the sales advisor that the non S models have the exact same engine and same turbos as the AMG GT + C63 S and Non-S + GLC63 S. The only difference is the tune. The non S version of the GLC also has a mechanical LSD vs Electronic on the GLC63S,
Am quite surprised, because my past experiences with cars, are in preference of Mechanical LSDs.

Anyway, would love to hear more from other members on their experiences, and upgrades. I am thinking Downpipes + Tune to start

Old 07-31-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
GLC63
I have not driven a GLC at night so I cannot say much about the headlight but I have been spoiled with most of my previous cars and would hate to not have auto high beam in a 80k mercedes. same can be said for me of the standard cruise control. Even kia compact vehicles now offer them, so I had to opt for the driver assistance package to get radar cruise control.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk Tesla.how much road trip do you take and what options did you have that you used frequently other than auttopilot?

I shopped the X myself, but as if I was not already discouraged by the cost, the behavior of owners on the groups i joined to learn more, really discouraged me. It was like many of them had only been in a Lada Niva n their whole life before getting in a Tesla. Do you feel you are downgrading anything in the GLC63?
Old 08-01-2018, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by @jm_case
Awesome! I love these things. I prefer the SUV bodystyle, so non-S it is for me. The GLC63 has been a blast to drive, and while I haven't gotten behind the wheel of an S yet, I don't feel as if you'll be missing all that much.

One thing I notice right off the bat...that car has the standard LED headlamps. They get the job done, but the Advanced Lighting Package is well worth the money in my opinion. Having that extra punch with your lights really makes a difference, and the auto-highbeams make life so much easier. My C-Class sedan has the static LEDs like what you are seeing here, and night driving frustrates me sometimes with the lack of auto-highbeams. I am exposed to it more often, though, as I routinely drive MB vehicles with Advanced Lighting. Ignorance is bliss on that one! Shouldn't be a deal-breaker for you, but I'd definitely choose that option if I had the choice.

The setup is the same functionally, so an exhaust rework will certainly have big effects, pair it with a tune and you'll be rocking out hardcore!

Very exciting for you. Let us know if you have any questions or need additional info!
Thank you! We prefer to SUV bodystyle as well for the dogs, and it is just more practical. Good tips for the LED headlamps, unfortunately i am getting a 2018 which was a custom order car that the buyer backed out on. So its pretty loaded, but doesn't have the advanced lighting package.

Originally Posted by viper3ez
I have not driven a GLC at night so I cannot say much about the headlight but I have been spoiled with most of my previous cars and would hate to not have auto high beam in a 80k mercedes. same can be said for me of the standard cruise control. Even kia compact vehicles now offer them, so I had to opt for the driver assistance package to get radar cruise control.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk Tesla.how much road trip do you take and what options did you have that you used frequently other than auttopilot?

I shopped the X myself, but as if I was not already discouraged by the cost, the behavior of owners on the groups i joined to learn more, really discouraged me. It was like many of them had only been in a Lada Niva n their whole life before getting in a Tesla. Do you feel you are downgrading anything in the GLC63?
Thanks! We don't drive around much at night, so the lighting package isn't a deal breaker for us. That said i agree, that auto high beam should be standard, and no an option.
So we absolutely loved the Tesla, but in all truth, it was just a novelty that got old. For one, the platform wasn't very stable, and constantly required updates. The build quality despite luxurious, had a lot of deformation/gapping issues. Fancy stuff like auto doors worked well... when they worked. But always failed when you needed them most (IE approaching the car with two cups of coffee... Door would open but not all the way).

Falcon wing doors were a SHOW STOPPER, but they always detected low ceilings even if it was out in the open, so they would stop at an awkward angle, and you would have to duck down and get in.

I am true believer of electric cars, but i think Tesla needs a couple more years to sort its manufacturing out. The QC is terrible, and some could get REALLY good cars (mine was definitely DECENT), but others would have crazy issues. IE my car came with a damaged wing, and it took THREE months to fix. After sales service left alot to be desired as well.

When MB comes up with their Model X competitor in 2020-2021, i would def be looking at it.

Also, yes, the Tesla owners are somewhat like a cult. People go ape **** crazy when someone complains about a legitimate problem about their car, and literally think they own the best car on earth. Its a great car. But its FAR from perfect. So no we dont think it's a step down, and we will probably miss the gas savings, but the GLC63 is a totally different animal, and it feels just that much more put together when you drive it.

Cheers.

Last edited by hadam3; 08-01-2018 at 07:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
viper3ez (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
nice congrats!!!!
Old 08-01-2018, 09:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
I think the soundtrack of the 63 is much better than the Tesla too..
Old 08-01-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Congrats, awesome vehicle. Love my 43 SUV and can only imagine how good the 63 is in this platform. Thought about stepping up, but 43 is only 9 months old and until MB fixes their stupidity with not offering COMAND and ACP/AA together, I'm standing pat.

As for upgrades, a tune is definitely worth a look if you want even more power. Downpipes are questionable from what I've read...expensive, involved install, and not much benefit for the cost. Perhaps, Dame can chime in with more info.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 Porsche 911 GTS
We looked at the Tesla S and X also before getting the GLC 63S AMG. The semi-autonomous mode was cool... but I actually like to drive and I felt that the Teslas just weren't driver cars. Definitely cool, but just not for me. The biggest thing for me was actually the seats. Very cushy and soft, which is the opposite of what I want - we have the performance seats.

Congrats on the new car ! We also bought a pre-ordered model (so no rear seat heaters for us), but I'm happy with the mix of options otherwise.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger_x
I think the soundtrack of the 63 is much better than the Tesla too..
I am glad Tesla doesnt add fake engine noises though to their EV's like the new Jag i-pace
Old 08-03-2018, 09:49 PM

Picked her up today!!!

However after a 50 mile (under 3,000rpm) drive home, the CEL came on as I moved her in to the garage.

Hope its it’s nothing to serious. Spoke with my sales advisor. And apparently the previous two GLE63s sold had the same issue due to the fuel mixture being too rich?

Read some concerning reviews on the W205 c63amg. Especially early production cars that were ASSEMBLED In Alabama. The GLC63s are still being assembled in Germany. So hopefully this isn’t a serious problem. My old Range Rover sport threw a code at delivery as well - faulty o2 sensor.

Anyway. A picture of the new ride with the w204 beast!
Old 08-04-2018, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by hadam3
Hi All!

Just wanted to introduce myself to the GLC family. Have been and will still continue to be an owner of a 15' W204 C63AMG 507. However our family needs have changed, and the car being replaced, "Tesla Model X75D" wasn't really practical for long road trips + it attracted WAY too much attention.

We wanted something more discreet, a sleeper if you may, and started looking at Volvo XC60s and even started considering a Lexus. However i have always had a fantastic experience with my Mercedes Benz dealership, and decided to consider a GLC43AMG because its a lot more compact, and suited our needs.

Long story short, i went to the dealership to check out the GLC43, and left with a GLC63 for an extended test drive + "convince" the co-pilot on the car.
Am still working out the details, but we have our eyes on a selenite grey GLC63 AMG.

I was told by the sales advisor that the non S models have the exact same engine and same turbos as the AMG GT + C63 S and Non-S + GLC63 S. The only difference is the tune. The non S version of the GLC also has a mechanical LSD vs Electronic on the GLC63S,
Am quite surprised, because my past experiences with cars, are in preference of Mechanical LSDs.

Anyway, would love to hear more from other members on their experiences, and upgrades. I am thinking Downpipes + Tune to start

Downpipes will give you more volume but not much more power. I'd reconsider if you plan to use this machine for long road trips. I think the amplified drone would get a little tiresome after an hour or so. If you want more power than stock you can get it easily with just a tune.