Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > GLC43 & GLC63 AMG
GLC43 jerking when accelerating after near stop >

GLC43 jerking when accelerating after near stop

Notices

GLC43 jerking when accelerating after near stop

Old 04-23-2019, 09:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 AMG GLC 43
The only time I use S+ is when I'm already doing freeway speed and I want to make moves or if I intend to floor it from a stop. This mode isn't intended to be used for slow speed driving. In stop and go traffic if I want to be aggressive then I use S.

I think the problem here is that you guys are using the mode in the wrong situations. Once I forgot it was in S+ and I started from a stop with partial throttle, it did the jerking thing. I let off the gas, put it in C and I was good to go.

Now, with that said, there shouldn't be any jerking while braking. Mine doesn't do that. While coming to a hard stop in S+, it will aggressively downshift and keep the revs high to aid braking. I've never tried it while gracefully slowing down; because if I was doing that I would switch to S or C.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC 63 AMG, E63s
Learn to control your foot or leave it in Comfort mode for the ones with a senseless foot.

Must be everyone’s first time having a car with decent power
Old 04-23-2019, 05:24 PM

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
GLC63
Originally Posted by Chrisk03 View Post
It's a throttle issue and you are crazy if you take it to a dealer and have them tear down the trans to find the "cause"...IMO. This isn't a Lexus LS. I believe in the manual it even states that you shouldn't be in Sport+ or driving like a bat out of hell until your trans warms up. The software is VERY aggressive in S+ and shifts aren't real smooth, even when warm, but they are quick and responsive. I agree the first time you experience it, you are like WTF, but it's all in probably millimeters of movement of the gas pedal on whether it happens or not and some can make it happen (or not) at will. If it's not to your liking, its probably not the vehicle for you...and that's ok. Some have been able to get a software update that helps fix it, but also neuters the vehicle from my understanding. Good luck.
yeah, no way i am letting a dealer open anything besides an oil fill cap if my engine or transmission are not obviously blown.

the jerking issue is obviously related to being in bat**** mode before the car even knows you have turned it on. not even worth an hour visit to a dealer or me.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:28 PM

GLC63
Originally Posted by osidepunker View Post
The only time I use S+ is when I'm already doing freeway speed and I want to make moves or if I intend to floor it from a stop. This mode isn't intended to be used for slow speed driving. In stop and go traffic if I want to be aggressive then I use S.

I think the problem here is that you guys are using the mode in the wrong situations. Once I forgot it was in S+ and I started from a stop with partial throttle, it did the jerking thing. I let off the gas, put it in C and I was good to go.

Now, with that said, there shouldn't be any jerking while braking. Mine doesn't do that. While coming to a hard stop in S+, it will aggressively downshift and keep the revs high to aid braking. I've never tried it while gracefully slowing down; because if I was doing that I would switch to S or C.
on "using the mode in the wrong situations", speak for yourself "BRO". if there was a wrong mode for sport plus, i would have bought a GLC300.

"This mode isn't intended to be used for slow speed driving" - you obviously have not listened to the music iof the AMG exhaust in slow speed after a nice run. slow and sensuual. ok, i'll stop. cracking myself up.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. J (04-27-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:30 PM

GLC63
Originally Posted by KingMonkeyJr View Post
Learn to control your foot or leave it in Comfort mode for the ones with a senseless foot.

Must be everyone’s first time having a car with decent power
to be fair, my jeep had the same power and i drive a hellcat charger without such an issue.

i wouldn't say it is a power issue.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-AMG GLC 63 4Matic+ Coupé 2017
Same thing here ... brand new 2019 GLC 63 Coupé (C253) demonstrated a jerkiness (almost like misfiring) when pulling away from standstill or slow speed.

Problem occurred from day one but doesn't happen all the time but very noticeable when it does and makes for apprehensive lack of confidence when pulling out into traffic.

I doubt very much that the problem is related to the transmission and is definitely not caused by poor foot management on the accelerator (FFS).

First revisit to dealership last week resulted in problem being attributed to "dirty" fuel when car originally collected, but two or three complete refills of 98RON petrol haven't cured the problem, so back it goes to the dealership this week.

Will post any update as and when we have one.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLC 43
Originally Posted by TwoFlew View Post
I doubt very much that the problem is related to the transmission and is definitely not caused by poor foot management on the accelerator (FFS).
Can you explain why it doesn't happen when you put it in comfort, or even Sport mode then?

Originally Posted by TwoFlew View Post
First revisit to dealership last week resulted in problem being attributed to "dirty" fuel when car originally collected, but two or three complete refills of 98RON petrol haven't cured the problem, so back it goes to the dealership this week.
Dirty fuel? And you believed them? That's the first time I've heard dirty fuel being attributed to this annoyance. You might want to be careful throwing around serious words like misfire while at the dealership. They may just give you a whole new engine and transmission before they "update" your software lol.

Article from June 2017. Why were they even referencing it? Known annoyance? Yes!
"I also have to applaud Mercedes for not making throttle response overly sharp in Sport+ mode. That keeps smaller throttle applications from being abrupt, head jerking moments"

Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
They will "look" at every issue you drag your ride back in for, even if they know there is no "real fix" just to make you think they are doing something about it. They will tear your gearbox apart and spread it all over the shop as many times as you ask them to, possibly creating other future issues in the process.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 GLC43, 2009 Cadillac CTS-V
Originally Posted by viper3ez View Post
so which is it? the thread seems to have started on this issue

"This thread is intended for GLC43 / GLC63 owners whose vehicles exhibit a jerking / bucking behavior when applying partial throttle from a low speed"

but some of you are describing an issue while braking. different problems I assume.

On the original issue, I experience it in my 19 GLC63 but only after first cold start of the day and immediately starting to drive in Sport+ or Individual mde which is mostly Sport+ for my setting.

Did that specific issue get any resolution whatsoever?
Not sure the two are unrelated
1) Thread title: Jerking when accelerating after near stop
2) My problem: Jerking while braking to a full stop

Maybe I should try accelerating instead of coming to a full stop and see what happens. The car in front of me may not be happy about my little experiment
The following users liked this post:
viper3ez (04-23-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 02:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
GLC43
lol. I drive in sport+ 90% of the time, and have only driven in comfort for a few minutes by mistake. I know the 43 and 63 are both 9spd but they aren't the same transmission are they? Interesting that they exhibit the same issues.
Originally Posted by viper3ez View Post
on "using the mode in the wrong situations", speak for yourself "BRO". if there was a wrong mode for sport plus, i would have bought a GLC300.

"This mode isn't intended to be used for slow speed driving" - you obviously have not listened to the music iof the AMG exhaust in slow speed after a nice run. slow and sensuual. ok, i'll stop. cracking myself up.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:30 PM

Mercedes-AMG GLC 63 4Matic+ Coupé 2017
Car goes back to the dealer next week. Will advise any outcome but for the avoidance of doubt:-

The problem happens in Comfort mode.

Any suggestion of operator malfunction or driver incompetence is, frankly, rude and ignorant. We have driven cars with higher power-to-weight ratios than the GLC 63 - with and without slush-boxes - and not had this problem before.

It definitely seems like a fuelling problem and who are we to disagree if the dealer's initial suspicion (guess) is that dirty petrol might be the cause? Doesn't mean to say we believed them then and they don't believe it now either.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
C450, GLC43
My 2017 GLC43 exhibited both the described conditions in this thread.

1. Bucking/jerking/lurching on acceleration:

A. It would sometimes "buck" in S+ especially after an incident of moderate-hard braking and after the transmission had downshifted. This was easily repeatable on winding steep roads with "switchback" turns.

B. Throttle tip in for S+ was unnecessarily aggressive. Yes, S+ should be more aggressive but I was consistently getting WOT with very little depression of the pedal. It was drastically different than C or S. So much so that it was very difficult to transition smoothly since muscle memory would have you press much more than required and now you're at 90% of WOT with barely any pedal travel. It was manic, and not in a fun way. I basically just stopped using S+ and reprogrammed my Individual mode for S drive, and S+ for steering and suspension.

C. In comfort mode, my vehicle would hold 2nd on aggressive acceleration. "Pretty cool", you're thinking right? Well it would do it all the way up to redline even with the oil temp below 60 deg F. Not cool. I learned to be careful accelerating onto high speed roads when cold and I manually shifted to avoid over-revving a cold motor.

2. Jerking/Lurching while coming to a stop:

Mine did this on occasion. It was most noticeable when fully warmed up and driving in S. Basically slowing in 1st gear made the issue noticeable to passengers. In second gear it's only noticeable to an attentive driver. I initially thought it was a problem with the gearbox. Upon further observation I noticed that the when the charging meter modulated my braking force did as well. This was only noticeable at slow deceleration with minimal braking force, think creeping up to a stoplight. Just before stopping the car would lurch to a halt if linear braking was applied. It felt like you would expect if the driver was increasing the braking pressure while coming to a stop. I adapted to this by reducing my braking force while decelerating then increasing again just as prior to full stop, or I just drove in C if I had passengers on board. This is not the normal way to brake any vehicle in fact it was a PITA since it runs contrary to all my driver training and decades of muscle memory that I've ingrained.

So I just brought the car in for B service. I had complained about issues 1. A, 1.B, and 2 at another dealership and they just told me: "normal characteristic of the car blah...blah....". Well I mentioned issue 1. C to the service department that I'm currently using and they took that one seriously and updated software for engine and transmission control. This update appears to have fixed all of my issues. I'm still testing now, but so far so good.

And yes, some of us do own faster more aggressive cars than the GLC and some of us actually do know how to drive a motor vehicle well. Suggesting that this is all driver induced is BS.

The solution appears to be: document your issues, clearly and concisely explain them to your SA, politely insist they check for software updates, change SA's and/or service centers if they gaslight you.

Last edited by Mr. J; 04-27-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2014 - W212 - E400 ( M276 Dela 30, 3 liter ) RWD not Hybrid
GLC43 and GLC63 do not share the same transmission.

GLC43 has torque converter aka normal automatic gear, but with more aggressive shifting profile.
For some reason unknown it is called AMG Speedshift TCT, Torque Clutch Transmission...what a weird name for a common torque converter type automatic transmission.

GLC63 uses AMG Speedshift MCT , multiclutch and has no torque converter.

Those with TCT ( GLC43 ) best ask a senior MB workshop engineer, what makes a this gearbox any "faster" than the so called normal 9 speed Gtronic ?
If it is only software based and no mechanical improvement for actual faster shifting .....hhhmmmm ... make your own guess.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:07 AM
J B

'19 GLC63 AMG
Please tell me they found a fix for you. I'm taking mine in tomorrow...
Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
2019 GLC 63, 1988 560SL
Lol. GLC AMGs have this problem also? I have a 2016 E63 with the prev gen 7-speed trans and it's got a long and sordid reputation for this issue, and is one of the reasons I'm getting rid of the car. GLC63 is first on my list, and I thought surely with the new 9-speed this must have been fixed. Should I just get a Hellcat?