GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Help - Wear on brand new GLC63 Designo Seats

Old 08-10-2018, 07:57 AM

Received 66 Likes on 29 Posts
996 Turbo, E86 Z4M, GLE 63 AMGs
Help - Wear on brand new GLC63 Designo Seats

Hi All,

Just picked up my wife's new GLC 63 a week ago.
Since then, we have put only 210 miles on it, as a CEL came on not too long after taking ownership.

Although not the main issue... apparently some late 2018 builds have been known to come with a faulty charcoal canister. It was a quick fix, and the CEL never came on again, but here is where i am having some difficulty.

The car only has 210 miles, and of the miles, it has probably been driven FIVE times MAX. The first was from the dealership in New Hampshire where we purchased the car, to our home in Massachusetts. That first drive saw us reach home with about 90+ miles.

Second drive was just around town, to enjoy the car a little (i did not record the miles again, but it could not have been more than 5 to 10 miles).

Third drive was when we came home from the second drive, and the car's CEL came on. So this drive saw me take the car to the dealership on a Saturday for a quick diagnosis (not the NH Dealership, but one in MA) about 40 miles round trip.

Fourth drive was after the dealership confirmed there was a bulletin out for the car, and to take it back in for actual repairs on Monday. Car was fixed later that afternoon, and this saw about another 40 miles + the test drive that the dealership took.

Since we took the car home, i then sent it for its Xpel PPF that was about 10 miles round trip. Upon return, we did not drive the car again because of bad weather, and the car had a fresh ceramic coat.

Just yesterday, i pulled it out of the garage to install a dash cam when i noticed that my driver seat bolster had a RIDICULOUS amount of wear on it. FOR A BRAND NEW CAR with 210 miles on the odometer.

Its hard to pin point who did this to the car, but the wife and i are EXCEPTIONALLY careful when getting in and out of the car, nor have we driven the car enough to even cause that kind of wear! We are the kind of owners that would bring towels to lay on our seats if we went for a morning hike.

So at this point in time, here are my thoughts, and i would really appreciate some advice:
1. The car came with faulty leather... or poor quality leather, and the five times we drove the car, we damaged the leather.
2. The car seat was damaged when it was being gassed up prior to me taking delivery. (the car was delivered FILTHY, as i never allow dealerships to detail my cars/wash them. Hence i did not even really take a good look around)
3. The car seat was damaged during its CEL repair at the dealership in MA.
4. The car seat was damaged during its PPF repair (they only had to drive the car in and out of the shop, only the front end was wrapped).

Its hard to pin point the cause of the damage, and who did it, but at the end of the day, a premium car of this price, should not have wear like this after 210 miles. All the shops i have been to are especially cautious with their cars, ie: mine is probably the cheapest car at the PPF shop. Both MB dealerships are extremely professional.

I just contacted my dealership in MA, and am hoping they can escalate this to MB.
We are really upset... I love all my cars and take exceptional care of them. Never been through a auto car wash, and always hand washed. We are also not big sized people. I am 5'11 at 175lbs, and my wife is 5'5 at 110lbs. This is just so disappointing.

Last edited by hadam3; 08-10-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Any luck getting that sorted? I can't imagine how that could happen that quick without some sort of major abuse to cause it. I'm similar in how I take care of our cars, our 2017 with leather (not Designo) has 31,000km on it now with nothing even close to that showing with wear.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:50 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Looks like it got "scraped" by something to me. Like someone had something in their pocket or was getting into the car and somehow brushed something across that part of the leather seat and it scraped the color off. Also, per your pic, on the right side of the piping closer to the seatbelt, it kind of looks like a leather repair to me...the leather is smooth and the color looks a bit different. It could be just the pic, but that stood out to me. Hope you get it resolved.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor, VW R32 + GLC63S Coupe (waiting)
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Looks like it got "scraped" by something to me. Like someone had something in their pocket or was getting into the car and somehow brushed something across that part of the leather seat and it scraped the color off. Also, per your pic, on the right side of the piping closer to the seatbelt, it kind of looks like a leather repair to me...the leather is smooth and the color looks a bit different. It could be just the pic, but that stood out to me. Hope you get it resolved.
this.

I had a similar wear scratch pattern in my old S2K. I couldn’t figure out what it was as I was always careful coming in. It turned out to be a particular pair of jeans; one of the studs had a tiny casting edge that would scratch the leather.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
To me, it looks like someone stained the seat or got something on it and used a harsh chemical to get it off when they were wiping it. Not related, but I recently bought a three set of yellow leather bar stools for my house and on the first day my wife not knowing any better had dropped an ink pen on one of the stools, and while sitting on it she marked the stool up pretty bad. I looked online on how to get ink stains out of leather and they gave me all types of recommendations and stuff. Nothing worked so they said for stubborn ink spots use, 90% nail polish remover. I tried to rub off the stain slowly and careful but the leather started wearing off exactly like your picture. Point of my story, is that either somebody brushed really hard against that area of your GLC with a metal object or something spilled on your seat and somebody used a harsh solution to try to take it off and it wore off the leather. I have designo seats too, and I am constantly moving and sliding in them to reach my son in his rear car seat to pick up a toy or something that he dropped. Even with me reaching for stuff and sliding in and out of my seats with jeans on, my seats look nowhere near like that.

Last edited by DameMD; 09-10-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 66 Likes on 29 Posts
996 Turbo, E86 Z4M, GLE 63 AMGs
Originally Posted by scotchy
Any luck getting that sorted? I can't imagine how that could happen that quick without some sort of major abuse to cause it. I'm similar in how I take care of our cars, our 2017 with leather (not Designo) has 31,000km on it now with nothing even close to that showing with wear.
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Originally Posted by speedracr

this.

I had a similar wear scratch pattern in my old S2K. I couldn’t figure out what it was as I was always careful coming in. It turned out to be a particular pair of jeans; one of the studs had a tiny casting edge that would scratch the leather.
Originally Posted by DameMD
To me, it looks like someone stained the seat or got something on it and used a harsh chemical to get it off when they were wiping it. Not related, but I recently bought a three set of yellow leather bar stools for my house and on the first day my wife not knowing any better had dropped an ink pen on one of the stools, and while sitting on it she marked the stool up pretty bad. I looked online on how to get ink stains out of leather and they gave me all types of recommendations and stuff. Nothing worked so they said for stubborn ink spots use, 90% nail polish remover. I tried to rub off the stain slowly and careful but the leather started wearing off exactly like your picture. Point of my story, is that either somebody brushed really hard against that area of your GLC with a metal object or something spilled on your seat and somebody used a harsh solution to try to take it off and it wore off the leather. I have designo seats too, and I am constantly moving and sliding in them to reach my son in his rear car seat to pick up a toy or something that he dropped. Even with me reaching for stuff and sliding in and out of my seats with jeans on, my seats look nowhere near like that.
Thanks everyone. We honestly don't know how that happened. But, Mercedes Benz is covering the repair, and will replace the seat cover. Car just got dropped off today, and will post pictures when fixed.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:49 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Good to hear!