Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > GLC43 & GLC63 AMG
again, and this time with feeling... >

again, and this time with feeling...

Notices

again, and this time with feeling...

 
Old 10-17-2018, 04:41 PM
  #51  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,021
Liked 92 Times in 64 Posts
2018 GLC63
So my winter tire/wheel set up was based on trying to track down the AMG Forged Cross-spoke wheels in black:

(From MY19 coupe order guide)



Front Wheels: 9.5Jx21 ET30 (p/n A25340140007X71)
Rear Wheels: 10Jx21 ET28 (p/n A25340141007X71)

Most searches will end up finding something in Europe for somewhere in the 6K euro range.

Finally, I tracked done these (first I found these on the U.K. Amazon site but they didn't ship to the U.S., then I found them on the DE (German) site and they did ship to U.S. but that ended up being incorrect info), then they showed up on the U.S. Amazon site:
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Notice the prices... (fronts $396 and rears $403 w/ free ship!). Note: these are NOT the OEM wheels, but are as close as I have seen to OEMs (for about $5K cheaper).

Here are a few pics prior to mounting:




Vipershade is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Vipershade:
m240bravo (11-21-2018), tpherson (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 04:44 PM
  #52  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,325
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
WOWSA. They're really fantastic looking wheels. Like REALLY REALLY Nice! And the prices are frigging fantastic!
rbrylaw is offline  
The following users liked this post: rbrylaw
Vipershade (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 05:04 PM
  #53  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 112
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
GLC43
Nice wheels/find. They look more black/better in your pictures than they do on the amazon site and the manufacturers site.
What are their weights? (Amazon site obviously wrong on this)
scotchy is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 05:10 PM
  #54  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,021
Liked 92 Times in 64 Posts
2018 GLC63
Even though tires should be more of a science, I think for a lot of us, they tend to be an art (especially us 4-season people)...

I live in an area that definitely gets snow, but not enough snow on the roads to warrant snow tires (the worst thing for snow tires is no snow). With that in mind, the tire choices are pretty limited (for 21" OEM-size wheels). I ended up getting the
SCORPION ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS








Vipershade is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 05:16 PM
  #55  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,021
Liked 92 Times in 64 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by scotchy View Post
Nice wheels/find. They look more black/better in your pictures than they do on the amazon site and the manufacturers site.
What are their weights? (Amazon site obviously wrong on this)
Here was the shipping details from the FedEx site:

Total weight for all 4 was 141.1 lbs, so a little over 35 lbs for each box.
Vipershade is offline  
The following users liked this post: Vipershade
scotchy (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 05:28 PM
  #56  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,021
Liked 92 Times in 64 Posts
2018 GLC63
Here are some pics in the sun light:













Vipershade is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 05:31 PM
  #57  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,325
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
They look great, buddy!
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 05:34 PM
  #58  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,021
Liked 92 Times in 64 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
They look great, buddy!
Thanks man!
I need to move down to Florida like you... and save myself this extra $3K expense
Vipershade is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 06:53 PM
  #59  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,325
Liked 268 Times in 223 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Vipershade View Post
Thanks man!
I need to move down to Florida like you... and save myself this extra $3K expense
It's still in the 90s down here. You think you can handle perpetual summer??
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 07:58 PM
  #60  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 50
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
2019 AMG GLC 63, 2016 BMW M4 Convertible, 2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi SQ5
Out of stock
tpherson is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 08:51 PM
  #61  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 50
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
2019 AMG GLC 63, 2016 BMW M4 Convertible, 2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi SQ5
Now they show as in stock.
tpherson is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 08:57 PM
  #62  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 50
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
2019 AMG GLC 63, 2016 BMW M4 Convertible, 2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Vipershade View Post
So my winter tire/wheel set up was based on trying to track down the AMG Forged Cross-spoke wheels in black:

(From MY19 coupe order guide)



Front Wheels: 9.5Jx21 ET30 (p/n A25340140007X71)
Rear Wheels: 10Jx21 ET28 (p/n A25340141007X71)

Most searches will end up finding something in Europe for somewhere in the 6K euro range.

Finally, I tracked done these (first I found these on the U.K. Amazon site but they didn't ship to the U.S., then I found them on the DE (German) site and they did ship to U.S. but that ended up being incorrect info), then they showed up on the U.S. Amazon site:
https://www.amazon.com/ALLOY-WHEELS-...25340140007X71
https://www.amazon.com/ALLOY-WHEELS-...534014100+7X71

Notice the prices... (fronts $396 and rears $403 w/ free ship!). Note: these are NOT the OEM wheels, but are as close as I have seen to OEMs (for about $5K cheaper).

What, if any, additional parts did you have to get? Tire pressure monitoring sensors? Center caps? Stems? Who did you have mount tires?

thank you so much for this information, they are just what I was looking for, at a fraction the cost.
tpherson is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 07:49 AM
  #63  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,021
Liked 92 Times in 64 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by tpherson View Post



What, if any, additional parts did you have to get? Tire pressure monitoring sensors? Center caps? Stems? Who did you have mount tires?

thank you so much for this information, they are just what I was looking for, at a fraction the cost.
I'm with you... I was originally disappointed that the non-S models couldn't get the cross-spoke wheels, and trying to track down the OEMs was futile, and paying Mercedes $7K for the OEMs was out-of-the-question.

My complete winter/seasonal set up cost:

Wheels: $1598 + $95.88 (tax) = $1693.88
Tires: $480.10 (fronts) + $545.14 (rears) = $1025.24
TPMS: $44 x 4 = $176

Total: $2895.12

I had the tires and TPMS sent to my dealer (specifically to my mechanic), and the wheels I had sent to the house. I would stay away from the OEM TPMS... too expensive.

I also had some other stuff done besides the wheels and tires... I had to get a PA state inspection (long story why this didn't occur within ten days of the purchase), and I also was able to do the rear diff flush since I went over 2000 miles (which btw is a must... the "stuff" that drained out of the rear differential was almost like a metallic paint).
Vipershade is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 07:53 AM
  #64  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,021
Liked 92 Times in 64 Posts
2018 GLC63
Oh, and the center caps I just used the original ones... I like the black ones, I'm not big on the Affalterbach ones... symmetrical is important for a center cap.
Vipershade is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 08:57 AM
  #65  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 50
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
2019 AMG GLC 63, 2016 BMW M4 Convertible, 2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi SQ5
Any experience with the Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus in snow? I think I'm going to go with the Pirelli Scorpion Winter. I have a very steep road and driveway, I'm mainly concerned with winter and especially snow traction to be able to get home with snow on the ground. The winter tire is more expensive, but I think it will meet my need better. the all season down look like they have much tread for snow traction, just some on the inner tread.
tpherson is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 08:59 AM
  #66  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 50
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
2019 AMG GLC 63, 2016 BMW M4 Convertible, 2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Vipershade View Post
Oh, and the center caps I just used the original ones... I like the black ones, I'm not big on the Affalterbach ones... symmetrical is important for a center cap.
I will have silver rims from the factory, so I'll need to buy some black center caps. Again, thanks for the info, saving me a ton of money.
tpherson is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 10:29 AM
  #67  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,021
Liked 92 Times in 64 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by tpherson View Post
Any experience with the Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus in snow? I think I'm going to go with the Pirelli Scorpion Winter. I have a very steep road and driveway, I'm mainly concerned with winter and especially snow traction to be able to get home with snow on the ground. The winter tire is more expensive, but I think it will meet my need better. the all season down look like they have much tread for snow traction, just some on the inner tread.
My experience has been mainly with Continental ExtremeContact DWS' on performance vehicles, I really like those tires... unfortunately they currently only go up to 20".

Yeah, the Scorpions have a serious tread pattern. For me, I would just be wearing the treads off of them for most of the winter. I need serious treads for a few storms between the last week in December and roughly the last week in February, all of the rest of the time I would be wearing them down.
Vipershade is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 10:32 AM
  #68  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,021
Liked 92 Times in 64 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by tpherson View Post
I will have silver rims from the factory, so I'll need to buy some black center caps. Again, thanks for the info, saving me a ton of money.
These new wheels are definitely growing on me... I like my original wheels better, but these are a close second.
Vipershade is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 10:42 AM
  #69  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 50
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
2019 AMG GLC 63, 2016 BMW M4 Convertible, 2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Vipershade View Post
These new wheels are definitely growing on me... I like my original wheels better, but these are a close second.
Ordered my set today. Going with the Scorpion Winter when the rims arrive. Looking forward to seeing them on my car, if my car ever arrives.

Thanks again.
tpherson is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 10:47 AM
  #70  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,021
Liked 92 Times in 64 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by tpherson View Post
Ordered my set today. Going with the Scorpion Winter when the rims arrive. Looking forward to seeing them on my car, if my car ever arrives.

Thanks again.
Your welcome! Keep us posted (with pictures!)
Vipershade is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 09:39 PM
  #71  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 14
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
'18 AMG GLC63
Looks great. Damn. I wish I saw your post before I bought my winter tires. Do those new wheels have the same specs/offset as the OEM?
m240bravo is offline  
The following users liked this post: m240bravo
Vipershade (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 08:46 AM
  #72  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,021
Liked 92 Times in 64 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by m240bravo View Post
Looks great. Damn. I wish I saw your post before I bought my winter tires. Do those new wheels have the same specs/offset as the OEM?
Thanks man... yeah, I haven't seen them side-by-side with the OEMs but they are supposedly identical. If/when I come across a GLC63S coupe with those wheels, I'll get some pics.

I would have to say that overall, I like the original wheels better, when you look at them from the side, you can see the depth of the wheel a lot better.

Vipershade is offline  
Old 12-02-2018, 10:36 PM
  #73  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
AMG GLC63
For my door lock pins, I tried wiggling them back and forth with some plier and a towel to protect them. I made no progress. So I tried unscrewing then with the same tools, and after a good number of turns they became easy enough to finish by hand. When installing the new ones, I used the push method above followed by screwing them tight. The key for me was to unscrew them.
PJJP is offline  
Old 12-25-2018, 01:48 PM
  #74  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 50
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
2019 AMG GLC 63, 2016 BMW M4 Convertible, 2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi SQ5
Finally got my winter fitment completed and mounted. Thanks for the advise and info on the rims. They looks great at a fraction the cost of the AMG rims.

Merry Christmas to me.






Last edited by tpherson; 12-25-2018 at 01:54 PM.
tpherson is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 03:55 PM
  #75  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,021
Liked 92 Times in 64 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by tpherson View Post
Finally got my winter fitment completed and mounted. Thanks for the advise and info on the rims. They looks great at a fraction the cost of the AMG rims.

Merry Christmas to me.
NP! They do look great! Yeah, that savings is crazy. I am hoping at some point to see them side-by-side with the actual OEMs.
Vipershade is offline  
The following users liked this post: Vipershade
tpherson (12-27-2018)
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: again, and this time with feeling...


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: