GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

New to MB - Some GLC AMG43 purchasing questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non MB
New to MB - Some GLC AMG43 purchasing questions

Hi all. I have been a long time BMW/Audi owner (ducks...) however the wife is looking at a GLC AMG43 SUV as her potential next vehicle. When it comes to buying BMW/Audi I am very familiar with the process, what to expect in terms of discounts, etc. but being new to MB I was hoping some of the vets could provide some insight on the below:

- I know this is very much dependent on multiple factors, but what should my general expectation be of % off MSRP on this vehicle, before any incentives? Should my expectations be different on an ordered vs. off the lot vehicle?
- I know there are incentives from USAA and Penfed (I qualify for both, although I would assume they are not stackable)? Are there any other non-MB incentives to look out for?
- Are the financial terms lockable if I order a vehicle, or do I have to order and take my chances that the programs don't bottom out?
- Anything else specific to the MB buying process to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
GLC63
Originally Posted by CASoxFan
Hi all. I have been a long time BMW/Audi owner (ducks...) however the wife is looking at a GLC AMG43 SUV as her potential next vehicle. When it comes to buying BMW/Audi I am very familiar with the process, what to expect in terms of discounts, etc. but being new to MB I was hoping some of the vets could provide some insight on the below:

- I know this is very much dependent on multiple factors, but what should my general expectation be of % off MSRP on this vehicle, before any incentives? Should my expectations be different on an ordered vs. off the lot vehicle?
- I know there are incentives from USAA and Penfed (I qualify for both, although I would assume they are not stackable)? Are there any other non-MB incentives to look out for?
- Are the financial terms lockable if I order a vehicle, or do I have to order and take my chances that the programs don't bottom out?

Thanks in advance.
USAA gives you 1000 to 1500 off a new vehicle, i never really care to use it.

my strategy when i buy a vehicle is to negotiate the price I want based on the cost of the actual unit i am buying, whether ordering or getting an inventory vehicle.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3

Thanks in advance.
1. IMO, you should be able to do MORE than 8% off MSRP (at least) on a GLC43 before incentives. I purchased Sept 17 and got a little more than 11% off MSRP that INCLUDED $1500 fleet discount from Penfed. NO, it should not make a difference...I ordered mine. Although, I will say you may be able to do better on a lot vehicle as they may be very motivated to move it, if it's been there for awhile.
2. Do a Google search, but usually USAA and Penfed have some of the best non-MB incentives out there, unless you work for a large company that may have some type of incentive for employees. I don't believe the non-MB incentives are stackable.
3. You'll have to discuss with your dealer, but mine all stayed the same...I believe they usually do. Actually, one of my financial terms did change...the Penfed fleet discount went UP and the dealer honored the extra $500 off.
4. Nothing really different from any other car buying process, IMO.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non MB
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
1. IMO, you should be able to do MORE than 8% off MSRP (at least) on a GLC43 before incentives. I purchased Sept 17 and got a little more than 11% off MSRP that INCLUDED $1500 fleet discount from Penfed. NO, it should not make a difference...I ordered mine. Although, I will say you may be able to do better on a lot vehicle as they may be very motivated to move it, if it's been there for awhile.
2. Do a Google search, but usually USAA and Penfed have some of the best non-MB incentives out there, unless you work for a large company that may have some type of incentive for employees. I don't believe the non-MB incentives are stackable.
3. You'll have to discuss with your dealer, but mine all stayed the same...I believe they usually do. Actually, one of my financial terms did change...the Penfed fleet discount went UP and the dealer honored the extra $500 off.
4. Nothing really different from any other car buying process, IMO.

Thanks for this info, very helpful. One quick question about Penfed, I assume you did not need to use their car buying service in order to receive the fleet discount?
Old 10-08-2018, 04:15 PM

GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Thanks for this info, very helpful. One quick question about Penfed, I assume you did not need to use their car buying service in order to receive the fleet discount?
Correct, I did NOT use their car buying service, but I am a member of Penfed. You basically login online and go to their car buying section. There is a place where you can view offers from car manufacturers and it goes through all of the models and the discount offer...usually $500 to $2000, depending on model. From there, you choose your model and it should give you some kind of way to download a pdf of all the discounts and has a Control Number to use for the dealer. I think there are a few other sections you need to fill out, as well, and then show this form to the dealer when buying the car. This is from memory, so apologies if not the exact steps.

That said, I personally got to an ALL IN number I was happy paying based on the vehicle, options, discounts people mentioned on this site, etc, then emailed internet dept of 2 dealers near me. Had a deal done in about 5 minutes with the first dealer that got back to me, which happened to be my local dealer. The GM was really cool and the deal went pretty smoothly when I picked up vehicle in Nov. Only hangup (minor) was financing even though I had my own...they got me a better rate with one of their banks.

Last edited by Chrisk03; 10-08-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Corvette Grand Sport, GMC Denali, 2018 GLC 43 AMG SUV
I was able to find a dealer who agreed to a price = to Invoice which they showed me plus $. The end result was so much better than any of the other dealers there was no comparison. In addition, I got the USAA discount plus a special MB discount for riding a SUV demo at Road Atlanta. It was a cash deal, however I don't think that had an impact.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:35 PM

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Blk/Blk GLC43 AMG WAGON
Dealers typically have 12% wiggle in the car. Use this as a guide. Most dealers and sales guys don't make much off the sale price they get
something similar to a holdback like a dealer by moving units. Trust me they ain't losing money. They'll give you the WWE grimace like you have them over a
barrel but if they want your business they will deal.

Last edited by affalterthought; 10-23-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:47 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
honestly most wont do near 12% off a GLC43.. 2019 anyways ... Penfed on a 19 GLC is 1000 on a suv and 500 on a coupe...

basically the fleet programs (USAA/PENFED, AMA<,AICPA,ABA, ADA, EAB etc..) are $500 on top of whatever trunk money... so the 19 GLC suv has 500 for Oct.. add another $500 is $1000... the issue is they gave you a deal based on the $500 and you say Im Penfed I get another $1000, its really another $500 (cant combine for dealers)

Up to each individual dealer of course and whatever deal you have already..
Old 10-31-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Audi S5 Sportback
Don't buy this vehicle!! See forums and google search "crabbing" "reverse scrubbing." I bought a GLC 43 in September, and since Mercedes has only offered me $1000 as compensation for the defect, I'll be pursuing a claim under Michigan's Lemon Law.
FYI, over a 30 year period I've owned and driven: (2) Audis, (1) Landrover, (2) BMWs, (1) Cadillac "V", (1) Volvo, (2) Saabs, (1) Jeep, (3) Fords, (1) Pontiac, (1) Chrysler, (1) Subaru. I've never pursued any claim against a manufacturer or a dealer. This "crabbing" issue, on a $70K car, is worth pursuing, and WORTH AVOIDING.

Last edited by Emerson11; 10-31-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:27 PM

GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by Emerson11
Don't buy this vehicle!! See forums and google search "crabbing" "reverse scrubbing." I bought a GLC 43 in September, and since Mercedes has only offered me $1000 as compensation for the defect, I'll be pursuing a claim under Michigan's Lemon Law.
FYI, over a 30 year period I've owned and driven: (2) Audis, (1) Landrover, (2) BMWs, (1) Cadillac "V", (1) Volvo, (2) Saabs, (1) Jeep, (3) Fords, (1) Pontiac, (1) Chrysler, (1) Subaru. I've never pursued any claim against a manufacturer or a dealer. This "crabbing" issue, on a $70K car, is worth pursuing, and WORTH AVOIDING.
How many of those previous cars had 21" SUMMER ONLY tires? I agree it can be annoying, but MB clearly states these tires are not for use below 45 degrees F. The "crabbing" does occur even at higher outside temps if the tire temps are cold, so living in Michigan/North, I would imagine it affects you even more months out of the year. I'm outside Philly and I do experience it sometimes in temps higher than 45, but it quickly dissipates after tires get a little heat in them. You should take that $1k offer and buy Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season tires in 21", which apparently takes care of the problem...thanks for that insight, I may call MB CS and try for same $1k offer. Not sure you're going to have much luck with Lemon Law, but would be interested in any update from that angle.

Here's the thread for alternate Pirelli's: https://mbworld.org/forums/glc43-glc...placement.html
Old 10-31-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Audi S5 Sportback
The crabbing occurs even when outside temps are in the low 70s. The point is, the vehicle is sold with these wheels tires, so one should be able to assume that the summer wheel/tire package functions properly in the summer. Based on others' posts, my understanding is that switching wheels/tires merely mitigates, not eliminates the problem.