GLC43 vs GLC63 - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices

GLC43 vs GLC63

Old 10-17-2018, 03:43 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
335i
GLC43 vs GLC63

Hello,

Wife is getting a new car, and its going to be her "fun car". She has driven the 43, and an GLE63, X5M, X3 M40, SQ5. She has not driven a GLC63. Her favorite of what she has driven is the GLC43. My thought is go big or go home. It's pencilling to be about $14k more for the 63.

Our issue is there are ZERO 63's in Oregon, or Washington. So we are not able to test drive one before we buy/order. We might get to when we are in LA next month, but would like to have an idea before that.

Anyone else have the debate of 43 or 63? We will probably keep this vehicle for a while (4+ years), and she has a Yukon Denali to drive as well. I am sure I will snag it to drive every so often too.

Just looking for feedback, good/bad/indifferent.

Also, anyone know when the 2019 63's are supposed to be available?
mrcbr600 is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 03:53 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
GLC43
We drove both and my wife preferred the 43.
ckay is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 04:20 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,010
Thanked 88 Times in 61 Posts
2018 GLC63
I would wait for the LA trip and find one to test drive... my wife loves the 63 (and that's coming from an ML350 and C43).
Vipershade is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 04:25 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 94
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
GLC43
I haven't driven the 63 (If I did I'd probably end up trading my 43 in) 63 wasn't out when I bought the 43.
If I was buying now I'd go with the 63, love the exterior on it that much more, power, sound, 4matic+ system, etc etc.
scotchy is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 08:04 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lake Tapps, WA
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2019 GLC 63, 13' Ford Raptor, 2008 E63
Originally Posted by mrcbr600 View Post
Hello,

Wife is getting a new car, and its going to be her "fun car". She has driven the 43, and an GLE63, X5M, X3 M40, SQ5. She has not driven a GLC63. Her favorite of what she has driven is the GLC43. My thought is go big or go home. It's pencilling to be about $14k more for the 63.

Our issue is there are ZERO 63's in Oregon, or Washington. So we are not able to test drive one before we buy/order. We might get to when we are in LA next month, but would like to have an idea before that.

Anyone else have the debate of 43 or 63? We will probably keep this vehicle for a while (4+ years), and she has a Yukon Denali to drive as well. I am sure I will snag it to drive every so often too.

Just looking for feedback, good/bad/indifferent.

Also, anyone know when the 2019 63's are supposed to be available?

We ordered a 63 from Larsen in Tacoma in September, at that time they had a well optioned 63 due to hit the floor I think in late October? Our order is suppose to be in mod December. Bellevue also shows one coming in. Good luck!
wawrecker is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 08:09 PM
  #6  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
335i
Originally Posted by wawrecker View Post
We ordered a 63 from Larsen in Tacoma in September, at that time they had a well optioned 63 due to hit the floor I think in late October? Our order is suppose to be in mod December. Bellevue also shows one coming in. Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback. How do you know they have them coming in? Their websites don't say that, and Cargurus doesn't say that either....

I guess I can go old fashion and give them a call.

Thanks again!
mrcbr600 is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 09:32 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Maverick787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 62
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
GLC AMG 63


I got my wife the GLC AMG 63, and the AMG 43 was on the table, and she could care less. Now she loves the 63 and appreciates driving more than ever, and she see why I buy cars with power. I love driving it myself every blue moon.





Last edited by Maverick787; 10-17-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Maverick787 is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 10:28 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orange Park Acres, CA
Posts: 1,193
Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
'16 AMG GT-S, '05 Ford GT, '19 GLC63, '12 ML 350 BT
GLC has reaped media awards as the best in class. That said if you have the opportunity to drive the 63 and 43 back to back do so. As my wife said after her test drive there’s no comparison. The 63’s special the 43 is nice.
Jim Brady is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 11:32 PM
  #9  
Member
 
mmmamg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 85
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
red wagon
I'll be a bad guy...my wife choose X3M40i. She was completely disappointed by low resolution cameras and navigation screen in GLCs and its a big deal for her.
Honestly for this amount of $$$ MB should spend $50 more and get good resolution cameras. Same for Macans, btw. Also somehow she hates gear switching on the the steering wheel. She told me no way!
mmmamg is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 12:58 AM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orange Park Acres, CA
Posts: 1,193
Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
'16 AMG GT-S, '05 Ford GT, '19 GLC63, '12 ML 350 BT
Originally Posted by mmmamg View Post
I'll be a bad guy...my wife choose X3M40i. She was completely disappointed by low resolution cameras and navigation screen in GLCs and its a big deal for her.
Honestly for this amount of $$$ MB should spend $50 more and get good resolution cameras. Same for Macans, btw. Also somehow she hates gear switching on the the steering wheel. She told me no way!
Glad you picked the back up camera over the motor.
Jim Brady is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Brady For This Useful Post:
psychlox (10-24-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 12:12 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Maverick787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 62
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
GLC AMG 63
Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post


Glad you picked the back up camera over the motor.
Maverick787 is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 12:23 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,010
Thanked 88 Times in 61 Posts
2018 GLC63
Yeah, that's a head scratcher...
Vipershade is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 12:25 PM
  #13  
Member
 
mmmamg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 85
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
red wagon
Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post


Glad you picked the back up camera over the motor.
clearly there is no difference in motors if compare GLC43 with x3M40i. Same hp, same performance.
GLC63 is another category and doesn't apply here.

More important wife likes it and it's my money so I can do whatever I want.

mmmamg is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 12:31 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Maverick787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 62
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
GLC AMG 63
I’ve owned a BMW for the last 19 years majority M cars. This is the first year I’ve not owne one, and they ask me what happen. I told them dealer experience is lack luster for a assume quality product, interiors get worse every year, lastly the M brand is now terrible. This is my first MB which I got for the wife can’t be more impressed with the car and dealer experience. The AMG found a good home .....the garage is missing 2 cars the Porsche is sold, and the M4 is history. GT3 RS just went into production last week early Xmas present. There’s benefits in buying the wife car first.




Maverick787 is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 01:31 PM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,010
Thanked 88 Times in 61 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by Maverick787 View Post
Iíve owned a BMW for the last 19 years majority M cars. This is the first year Iíve not owne one, and they ask me what happen. I told them dealer experience is lack luster for a assume quality product, interiors get worse every year, lastly the M brand is now terrible. This is my first MB which I got for the wife canít be more impressed with the car and dealer experience. The AMG found a good home .....the garage is missing 2 cars the Porsche is sold, and the M4 is history. GT3 RS just went into production last week early Xmas present. Thereís benefits in buying the wife car first.
Not to change subjects (...or maybe we should change subjects off of this holly war )... did you do anything special to your garage floor? (very nice btw).
Vipershade is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 02:52 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 73
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by mmmamg View Post
clearly there is no difference in motors if compare GLC43 with x3M40i. Same hp, same performance.
GLC63 is another category and doesn't apply here.

More important wife likes it and it's my money so I can do whatever I want.
You are absolutely correct. We test drove the M40i and it was a very nice vehicle. Leaps ahead in the technology due to the GLC being an older platform. My wife was indifferent, I was leaning towards the GLC. The M40i does test to be a bit quicker in acceleration. I just happened to get a great deal on a 2019. At the same time, I was looking for bang for the buck and I gave my BMW dealer a shot at their best offer before I place my MB order. The exact response was, "I'll give you our best offer if you can commit to buying the car today."

Good luck with your M40i. The Bimmer forum does report some ongoing issues, but I hope they are either exaggerated, or your particular vehicle is rock solid for you guys.

ckay is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 03:25 PM
  #17  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
335i
Thumbs up

This whole car shopping for "mama" started because I had to take our 2007 335i (our first new car, that I will keep forever) in for service, and they gave me an X2 loaner. Wife drove it one night and said she wanted one.... So that is what started the search. She was next up for a new car anyway, and we had been looking at e63 wagons for awhile and she was set on the hot rod grocery getter. But i was not willing to drop $120k +/- on one just to lose 1/2 of that in 5 years. I told her to drive the X5M and see if she liked it. No... While she was there she drove a X4/X6 and the X3 M40i. The X3 was top of the list. At this point, I knew she was dead set on getting a new car. So I had to do "my research" and make sure we got exactly what we thought we were getting. Long story short, we found the GLC63 was fitting most of our criteria, and comes in about $40-50k less than the e63 wagon. It's all how you look at things, so it can be justified!!

I like your Spyder by the way. I love mine!! Another car I said I would never sell... I am not 100% on that yet. If Porsche does put an NA engine in the next variant then I will have to do some thinking. My uncle just got a GT3 RS. Thing is plain stupid!!! Crazy how wide they are. Funny how he always made fun of my APR GTC-300 Wing on my track S2000 as a "picnic table" but now that he has one, its "functional"...

And to the guy getting defensive about his X3 purchase. No worries brah. It is your money, don't worry about what some dudes on a car forum say about what your wife drives!

Originally Posted by Maverick787 View Post
Iíve owned a BMW for the last 19 years majority M cars. This is the first year Iíve not owne one, and they ask me what happen. I told them dealer experience is lack luster for a assume quality product, interiors get worse every year, lastly the M brand is now terrible. This is my first MB which I got for the wife canít be more impressed with the car and dealer experience. The AMG found a good home .....the garage is missing 2 cars the Porsche is sold, and the M4 is history. GT3 RS just went into production last week early Xmas present. Thereís benefits in buying the wife car first.







mrcbr600 is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 04:34 PM
  #18  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 613
Thanked 50 Times in 38 Posts
GLC43
Glad you went with the GLC63. If it was out when I was buying I would be in one. I drove one the other day and I hate to say it but, the 43 is no comparison. Also, the price difference between my GLC43 and the GLC63 SUV is about $6,000. This is coming from a guy with a modded GLC43.

My sale's guy was trying to get me to upgrade but, I told him I am in no rush as I would like to wait for the 2020 version with updated dash screen and tech stuff.

Last edited by DameMD; 10-18-2018 at 04:40 PM.
DameMD is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 04:49 PM
  #19  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Dorset, UK
Posts: 535
Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
GLC 43
Originally Posted by DameMD View Post
Glad you went with the GLC63. If it was out when I was buying I would be in one. I drove one the other day and I hate to say it but, the 43 is no comparison. Also, the price difference between my GLC43 and the GLC63 SUV is about $6,000. This is coming from a guy with a modded GLC43.

My sale's guy was trying to get me to upgrade but, I told him I am in no rush as I would like to wait for the 2020 version with updated dash screen and tech stuff.

Must be a lot different in the US, in the UK there is £19000 difference between the 43 and the 63 SUV.
Philamg is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 05:10 PM
  #20  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 613
Thanked 50 Times in 38 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by Philamg View Post
Must be a lot different in the US, in the UK there is £19000 difference between the 43 and the 63 SUV.
Hopefully the link below works. The MSRP on this one is $76K and this is before my Fleet discounts and other stuff. Plus the sales person is a friend of mine. I can find a ton of these in a 500 radius from where I live. I don't need the white designo interior and I am actually regretting getting it as it gets dirty quick (at least for me). The sticker for my truck was $71K. Trust me, if the GLC63 SUV was out while I was shopping I would be in one now. I couldn't wait as my lease was ending and I needed a car.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=483814481&zip=20010 &referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D20010%26startYe ar%3D1981%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26incremental%3Dall %26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2019%26modelCodeLis t%3DMBGLC63AMG%26makeCodeList%3DMB%26searchRadius% 3D500&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&e ndYear=2019&modelCodeList=MBGLC63AMG&makeCodeList= MB&searchRadius=500&makeCode1=MB&modelCode1=MBGLC6 3AMG&clickType=listing

Last edited by DameMD; 10-18-2018 at 05:14 PM.
DameMD is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 05:29 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,010
Thanked 88 Times in 61 Posts
2018 GLC63
When people ask me about the difference between my C450 (aka first gen. C43), and the GLC63, I tell them that the 63 starts where the 450 ends... and that's going from a lighter C-Class to the SUV.
Vipershade is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 05:40 PM
  #22  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 613
Thanked 50 Times in 38 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by Vipershade View Post
When people ask me about the difference between my C450 (aka first gen. C43), and the GLC63, I tell them that the 63 starts where the 450 ends... and that's going from a lighter C-Class to the SUV.
LOL . That's how I felt coming from my 2013 C350 to my GLC43. Night and day. I can only imagine from a c350 to a GLC63. It's ok, I am planning to do upgraded turbos next and maybe stack the Jb4 on a full ECU tune. Should be a fun little truck for now and it would hold me over until the new 2020 is out.

I was trying to resist temptation in test driving the GLC63 but, I had to go to the dealer to get a wheel repaired. My friend was there and let me drive the 63. The responsiveness + sound of the v8 with performance exhaust and the different dynamic selections was super tempting to upgrade. I must resist, I must resist 2020 shouldn't be too long from now. lol
DameMD is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 06:10 PM
  #23  
Junior Member
 
Maverick787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 62
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
GLC AMG 63
Originally Posted by Vipershade View Post
Not to change subjects (...or maybe we should change subjects off of this holly war )... did you do anything special to your garage floor? (very nice btw).
for sure .....we all love cars at the end of the day. Yes itís an epoxy two day job see below and after.




Maverick787 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maverick787 For This Useful Post:
Chrisk03 (10-24-2018), Vipershade (10-19-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 06:19 PM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,010
Thanked 88 Times in 61 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by DameMD View Post
LOL . That's how I felt coming from my 2013 C350 to my GLC43. Night and day. I can only imagine from a c350 to a GLC63. It's ok, I am planning to do upgraded turbos next and maybe stack the Jb4 on a full ECU tune. Should be a fun little truck for now and it would hold me over until the new 2020 is out.

I was trying to resist temptation in test driving the GLC63 but, I had to go to the dealer to get a wheel repaired. My friend was there and let me drive the 63. The responsiveness + sound of the v8 with performance exhaust and the different dynamic selections was super tempting to upgrade. I must resist, I must resist 2020 shouldn't be too long from now. lol
Okay, so if the plan is to wait for the 2020s to come out... stop testing driving the 63s! No good can come of that

Speaking of tunes, this is an interesting thread on the C43 forum: JB4 Firmware update 0-60 Results
Vipershade is offline  
Old 10-18-2018, 06:24 PM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Vipershade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,010
Thanked 88 Times in 61 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by Maverick787 View Post


for sure .....we all love cars at the end of the day. Yes itís an epoxy two day job see below and after.
Nice! ...that's exactly what I was thinking of going with... they grind a little off the top and then create the compound from that? That looks remarkable... what's the approximate cost of that, if you don't mind me asking?
Vipershade is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC43 vs GLC63


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: