GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Crabbing Defect 2018 GLC 43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 07:38 PM

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Blk/Blk GLC43 AMG WAGON
Could you share the factory alignment specs here for the rest of us with 21's or is this specific to each car ?
When you mention settings is there a settings screen or location we can find this information ???
Sorry I am a bit confused.
Thanks very much for any clarity as I am keen to get some sort of closure around this especially if it can help with an annoying issue.

Last edited by affalterthought; 11-05-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by affalterthought
Could you share the factory alignment specs here for the rest of us with 21's or is this specific to each car ?
When you mention settings is there a settings screen or location we can find this information ???
Sorry I am a bit confused.
Thanks very much for any clarity as I am keen to get some sort of closure around this especially if it can help with an annoying issue.
There are several options for the GLC but I believe each of the AMG models only has one setting, i'll try to get a printout to post here.

It is best to ask your dealer or alignment shop to print you the sheet, it will show the specs, along with before and after actual measurements. This also confirms that the specs used are correct to your car.

If your vehicle has Air Body Control, which I believe most of the AMG trims do, make sure they check and adjust the ride height also if needed. It can be out enough to make a difference and still not look like it's off much to the eye.

Also, the crabbing is due to tracking differences in the front wheels at full lock. That isn't gonna change with an alignment, it's inherent in the design of the front suspension.
The following 2 users liked this post by ItalianJoe1:
affalterthought (11-06-2018), Chrisk03 (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
There are several options for the GLC but I believe each of the AMG models only has one setting, i'll try to get a printout to post here.

It is best to ask your dealer or alignment shop to print you the sheet, it will show the specs, along with before and after actual measurements. This also confirms that the specs used are correct to your car.

If your vehicle has Air Body Control, which I believe most of the AMG trims do, make sure they check and adjust the ride height also if needed. It can be out enough to make a difference and still not look like it's off much to the eye.

Also, the crabbing is due to tracking differences in the front wheels at full lock. That isn't gonna change with an alignment, it's inherent in the design of the front suspension.
So, do they check alignment in Comfort mode, Sport+ mode, or look at the settings in all modes after standard (Comfort, I'm assuming) alignment is done? Honestly, the "crabbing" doesn't bother me too much, but I don't daily drive my 43. I'm more concerned about tire wear, but seems like GLC's and C's go through tires, fronts especially, no matter what, due to the higher neg camber.

Thx for all your help/comments on this! Did u pull the trigger on a RWD GLC?
Old 11-06-2018, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
So, do they check alignment in Comfort mode, Sport+ mode, or look at the settings in all modes after standard (Comfort, I'm assuming) alignment is done? Honestly, the "crabbing" doesn't bother me too much, but I don't daily drive my 43. I'm more concerned about tire wear, but seems like GLC's and C's go through tires, fronts especially, no matter what, due to the higher neg camber.

Thx for all your help/comments on this! Did u pull the trigger on a RWD GLC?
The alignment is set in "Sport" suspension setting, which lowers slightly from comfort. That's what the specs are for, a car at the correct height in Sport mode. When you do the calibration of the level with Xentry, it will tell you to put the car in Sport also before making measurements or adjustments. I just went through this whole process on a 2017 GLC43 coupe yesterday, the height was off and the front toe was WAY off, almost a full degree total toe too much. The front tires were completely worn smooth and to the cords on the inner edges, vehicle had about 13k miles on it if I remember correctly.

I will get a GLC at some point as the wife needs a new car and I want to get her into something in that category, smallish SUV, and I really like the GLC actually. I will only be getting a pretty basic one when I do though, no fancy AMG for her and we don't need 4matic here in south FL so I won't have this particular problem.
The following 3 users liked this post by ItalianJoe1:
affalterthought (11-06-2018), bsaz (11-08-2020), Chrisk03 (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 07:20 PM

Blk/Blk GLC43 AMG WAGON
If you happen to have the corrected numbers (toe and ride height) you arrived at that you can post that would be awesome!
Thanks for the info IJ!
Old 11-07-2018, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
If you happen to have the corrected numbers (toe and ride height) you arrived at that you can post that would be awesome!
Thanks for the info IJ!
The ride height is a degree measurement of the control arms and rear axle shafts, not going to mean much unless you are actually setting it yourself using a digital inclinometer and Xentry. It calls for around 1.1 front and -1.2 rear or so. There's a bit of a range it will adjust for, you mainly want it to be consistent side to side (Cross ride height as listed on the alignment sheet)

The toe settings were something like 0'08" rear, 0'01" front. Very little toe really.
The following 3 users liked this post by ItalianJoe1:
affalterthought (11-07-2018), Chrisk03 (12-23-2018), VET11B (12-19-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:55 AM

Blk/Blk GLC43 AMG WAGON
Thanks again for the info IJ1. I am also hoping that if my ride height is off it is in favor of being lower
after corrected and not higher- lol

cheers
Old 11-07-2018, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Thanks again for the info IJ1. I am also hoping that if my ride height is off it is in favor of being lower
after corrected and not higher- lol

cheers
They sit pretty high stock, if you want it lowered you will have to have it done on purpose.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GLC 43
I have the same exact issue with crabbing and Mercedes dealership has offered me $1000 as well - considering Lemon Law as well. How far have you gotten with everything? Any new developments?
Old 11-17-2018, 03:28 PM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
GLC 63 AMG, Trackhawk, X3M
Not sure if anyone has ever driven a 4 wheel drive car but in any event they all have the crabbing effect when cranked all the way in one direction.... My E63s and Trackhawk both do it...
Old 11-17-2018, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Have driven bmw's, land rovers and honda 4 wheel drives and NEVER had crabbing, don't have it now on my 43 on winter tyres but a nightmare on summers.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:03 PM

AMG GLC 43
All season tires are gimmicks... They are jack of all trades and master of none. Invest in a set of Summer and Winter tires, like the rest of the developed world. As you may know in most of the Western European countries, except the UK, it's illegal to use anything but winter tires in the months of winter - no All Season BS

I know this comment has nothing to do with this tread but every time I see folks mentioning all season tires, I can't help but comment
Old 12-09-2018, 12:29 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
GLC63
Originally Posted by bkdk77
All season tires are gimmicks... They are jack of all trades and master of none. Invest in a set of Summer and Winter tires, like the rest of the developed world. As you may know in most of the Western European countries, except the UK, it's illegal to use anything but winter tires in the months of winter - no All Season BS

I know this comment has nothing to do with this tread but every time I see folks mentioning all season tires, I can't help but comment

some of us do not live in igloo homes year round. I cant possbly see why i would need a set of winter tires for 5 days of sub 50 degree weather annually.

There are phenomenal all season tires that deliver good handing and decent life, unlike any summer tires.

Whie i love high traction myself, going as far as running Nitto NT555R drag radials as daily drivers, I have zero reason or incentive to run summer tires on my 5500lb Dodge Durango people mover.

Not every car is used as a sports car.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:00 AM

AMG GLC 43
Winter tires are meant and designed to be used in weathers when temperatures drop below 40F, so where you live definitely does not qualify for Winter tires

Regarding all season tires being "phenomenal", it may very well be the case for all seasons designed for "trucks", which I have no idea - my comments are strictly related to automobiles/cars...
Old 12-19-2018, 05:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 GLC43
Originally Posted by Emerson11
Here's the mail and email for Mercedes customer assistance:

1 Mercedes-Benz Dr., Sandy Springs, GA 30328, Attention: Customer Assistance
mbcep@mbusa.com (customer assistance)

The more owners Mercedes hears from the better. I'd suggest emailing and sending a letter using certified mail, so that you'll have proof of timely notification.

While I will be pursuing a cause of action under state "Lemon Laws," given the price of these vehicles, and the dollars lost when we are forced to replace them prematurely, perhaps there is a "class action" avenue available.
I contacted Mercedes and was advised to take my car to the dealer to verify the issue.
Next cool day I am going to take it.
Other than the crabbing, I love the 43
Old 12-23-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
2010 Audi S4, 2019 GLC 43,07 BMW Z4 M coupe
Originally Posted by jf1203
I have the same exact issue with crabbing and Mercedes dealership has offered me $1000 as well - considering Lemon Law as well. How far have you gotten with everything? Any new developments?
Do you mind to share who offered you $1000 ? Local dealer or Mercedes USA ?
I had the issue last week from backing out from a parking space . I was backing out to the left ,I thought I hit something . Temp outside was 50 degrees .
I love that car but even if this issue doesn't affect or damage the car it does affect the image of Mercedes Benz !
Old 12-23-2018, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by KingMonkeyJr
Not sure if anyone has ever driven a 4 wheel drive car but in any event they all have the crabbing effect when cranked all the way in one direction.... My E63s and Trackhawk both do it...
Yes and no. It depends on the drivetrain design. True 4wd will always crab on anything close to full steering lock. AWD vehicles don't all display this characteristic but a lot of the performance oriented ones do.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by bkdk77
Winter tires are meant and designed to be used in weathers when temperatures drop below 40F, so where you live definitely does not qualify for Winter tires

Regarding all season tires being "phenomenal", it may very well be the case for all seasons designed for "trucks", which I have no idea - my comments are strictly related to automobiles/cars...

Your knowledge is dated. It's a common misconception that current gen AS tires all suck.
Fact: Michelin and Continental make top tier AS performance tires that outperform other popular brand's summer tires in independent 3rd party testing while still providing adequate performance for mild winter conditions.

The following users liked this post:
Planethill (12-09-2021)
Old 01-03-2019, 07:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
CLK63 Black
Originally Posted by KingMonkeyJr
Nonsense! My wifes Macan is AWD and you would never know it while turning sharply. You guys that think that its normal for a $100k car to "crab" is the reason that they don't bother to fix an obvious engineering flaw.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:25 PM

2018 GLC43
I owned a 2018 Audi S4 which is AWD and it
did not have the crabbing problem !!!
Old 01-03-2019, 09:11 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Ron/Joe: Are/were they summer performance tires?

Last edited by Chrisk03; 01-03-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:36 PM

2018 GLC43
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Ron/Joe: Are/were they summer performance tires?
they were 19 in conti
summer tires
Old 05-22-2019, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML55 and C300
I GOT IT FIXED

Originally Posted by Emerson11
This last summer, I moved to Michigan from Florida, and decided to trade in my nearly new 2018 S5 Sportback for a vehicle more suited to the climate. I purchased a 2018 GLC 43 with the 21" wheels and summer tires, with plans for winter wheels/tires. Because of family issues and timing, I didn't do the research that I normally do when I purchase a new car; I just pulled the trigger. Within days, and while the outside temperatures were in the 70s, I experienced the loud thumping skidding noise when getting in and out of a parking space. The problem has only gotten worse as the temperatures have dropped. Mercedes is well aware of the problem, and their bulletin indicates the problem occurs at low temperature or WET PAVEMENT. At least on my car, it occurs anytime it's maneuvered in tight turns at low speeds. Mercedes also says there is no solution other than switching out wheels and tires, which they will not cover. Even if they would cover the cost, I've read that it doesn't eliminate the problem, it merely reduces it. I bought the car because I liked the staggered big wheels and low profile tires, that's how it was marketed, so to suggest a fix that only partially alleviates the problem, yet changes the nature of the car is ridiculous.

Having spent over $70K on a vehicle that thumps and bumps in parking lots, making passersby wonder what's the problem, is an embarrassing mistake.

Anyone else want to publicly whine about Mercedes's tire crabbing problem?
Just bought this car brand new for my wife and when we left the house for the first time, it sounded like the front end fell out when backing down curb. We went to the dealership and they told us it was a known issue (which is another word for a problem) and it was the tires skipping. Mercedes Benz would not pay for a new style of tire. I told the store manager he would see me in two days. I went and applied for a permit to protest, so that I wouldn't be arrested and went 2 days later with a sign saying Do Not Buy Mercedes Benz AMG. They have a defect they do not want to tell you about until you buy them. I stood my happy *** right there at the drive in entrance for everyone to see me. They came out and told me that I couldn't do that and I just held up my permit and told them they would see me or someone else everyday until this is fixed. By the days end, the manager agreed to switch to a new style tire and the problem is no more. $70,000 + for a car and it sounds like a clunker, you must be joking MB.
The following users liked this post:
Skiffer (04-17-2021)
Old 05-22-2019, 07:57 AM

2018 GLC43
Originally Posted by churchillcorp1
Just bought this car brand new for my wife and when we left the house for the first time, it sounded like the front end fell out when backing down curb. We went to the dealership and they told us it was a known issue (which is another word for a problem) and it was the tires skipping. Mercedes Benz would not pay for a new style of tire. I told the store manager he would see me in two days. I went and applied for a permit to protest, so that I wouldn't be arrested and went 2 days later with a sign saying Do Not Buy Mercedes Benz AMG. They have a defect they do not want to tell you about until you buy them. I stood my happy *** right there at the drive in entrance for everyone to see me. They came out and told me that I couldn't do that and I just held up my permit and told them they would see me or someone else everyday until this is fixed. By the days end, the manager agreed to switch to a new style tire and the problem is no more. $70,000 + for a car and it sounds like a clunker, you must be joking MB.
First time it happened to me I was backing out of my driveway.
I thought I busted something.
Living in Florida it doesn’t happen often and I originally bought the 43 for the wife.
However after I bought a new truck my wife took my truck and the 43 just sits in the garage as I also have a MX5 for my daily driver.
Probably going to trade the 43 in on a 2020
Porsche Cayman with the 911 engine option
GT5
Other than the crabbing I enjoy the 43
Old 05-22-2019, 08:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 glc43 AMG coupe
Originally Posted by churchillcorp1
Great story. What did the dealer do to fix the problem exactly? I have 21" Contis and it's getting really bad now. For me its getting worse over time, maybe as the tyres wear down or lose their rigidity? I'll happily get a new set of tyres if that solves the problem. PS4S are on my radar if that solves the issue? I'm not keen on A/S tyres at all, especially as I live in a very hot climate.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Crabbing Defect 2018 GLC 43