GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Terrible Build Quality? I've got issues on a GLC63, do you?

Old 10-23-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 94 Likes on 46 Posts
G63 AMG, Lamborghini LP580-2
Thumbs down Terrible Build Quality? I've got issues on a GLC63, do you?

Greetings everyone. I've had the car two weeks to the day and I am sad to say that I am just having the most annoying issues with the car. Something that should not be on a SUV with a 90K price tag. I am curious if my ride is unique (lemon) or is this what you guys just deal with the MB brand. If it's the later I plan to bail on my first MB and never come back.

Issues:
- Interior rattle from overhead sunglass holder.
- Interior rattle from rear passenger side seat.
- Interior rattle from rear quarter glass trim, both sides.
- Interior rattle from driver's side rear door panel. Isolated to speaker grill.
- Headlight malfunction warning (2x in first 300 miles). Restart, goes away
- Proximity warnings (front) delayed. Meaning they don't work fast enough if pulling into a parking spot before making contact with something.
- Wind noise from sunroof. It's terrible above 90mph. I have triple checked it's closed.
- Surging throttle while at slow speeds in any mode other than comfort.
- Non uniform body gaps on both front door edges to front fender. Passenger side 9.8mm and Driver's 7.7mm.

Other than the sound of the vehicle, I am just underwhelmed. I have had countless daily drivers in this space and they all blow this thing away in QC. Mercedes should be ashamed of the way this thing was delivered to me.

I'm going to take this list to the service department. If we can't get to an agreeable solution to remedy each and every item I am going to pursue other actions.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:28 AM

Received 66 Likes on 29 Posts
996 Turbo, E86 Z4M, GLE 63 AMGs
Sorry to hear this. It honestly sounds like you may have a lemon. My car has zero rattles, even with the 21” wheels and lowered suspension + crappy MA roads.

Only issue I ever had was a scrape of the leather bolster. Which cause remains unknown. But MB went above and beyond and swapped a new seat cover. So all good.

Keep us in in the loop! Hope it works out for you.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
GLC AMG 63
Sorry to hear, my wife had 3000 miles on her AMG 63 coup with none of the issues you listed. Good luck .....

Last edited by Maverick787; 10-23-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by hadam3
Sorry to hear this. It honestly sounds like you may have a lemon. My car has zero rattles, even with the 21” wheels and lowered suspension + crappy MA roads.

Only issue I ever had was a scrape of the leather bolster. Which cause remains unknown. But MB went above and beyond and swapped a new seat cover. So all good.

Keep us in in the loop! Hope it works out for you.
Well that's comforting. I wanted to believe that MB provided a quality product on par with other luxury vehicles I've owned. My last several SUVs have been Porsche, BMW and Audi products. The only interior rattle I ever had from any of them was caused by a known issue and Audi replaced the entire rear seat to remedy. I've never had a car sound so **** poor so early....and it's only going to get worse as it is driven. It's got a whopping 393 miles on it.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
The only one of these that I have seen/heard on my GLC63 has been the sun glass holder rattle. I remedied that by putting the sunglasses in their cleaner/case before putting them in the holder.

I have driven on five multi-hour highway trips with higher speed stretches and haven't heard any of those rattles (or any rattles).

Being relatively close to Mercedes service for the past few years, I have seen/heard of a handful of wiring issues with a few brand new cars. In every case, I competent mechanic was able to diagnose and correct the problem.

I would do exactly what you were thinking, take in your list, they should take you for a ride so you can point out each problem before they attempt to fix it... keep doing that until everything is to 100% satisfaction.

Hopefully, you can get each of these resolved, nothing worse than feeling like you aren't getting (at least) what you paid for. Good luck brother!
The following users liked this post:
cancinpilot (11-01-2021)
Old 10-24-2018, 01:19 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
I've a bunch of rattles on my 43 that annoy me but I haven't bothered trying to have addressed yet. Most started not too long after ownership, a few are more recent.
One is from the glove box. It's the most prevalent, if you open it, it goes away. The other is when driving over a sharp bump there's a sound that I can only describe as sounding like a glass lid on a casserole dish rattling/banging. Comes from passenger rear somewhere. More recently there's some noise from the drivers front door area, a bit of sound when driving. I'll mention it at the next service but as annoying as it can be love driving it too much to be without it for 2 weeks driving a b-class while they sort it, lol.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'18 GLC 63, '21 Model Y
I've got a rattle in the driver's door in my GLC 63 that is triggered by running over the lane marker bumps at 70+
Old 10-24-2018, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glc43 amg(sold) 2015 Mustang GT 2019 Volveo Inscription t6
I have the same build quality issues on my GLC43. Have had it back for the interior rattle issues 3 times in 18mo and still have problems(never did fix the sunglass holder rattle). Now some of the dashboard rattles are coming back.
I honestly think the majority of the problems stem form the use of run flat tires. The create a very sketchy ride over small bumps and tar strips that sets up the interior rattles. Can't understand how the vaunted "German Engineers" didn't figure this out in testing and provide better quality tire and a spare. Unforgivable! My first and last MB
Old 10-24-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 63 AMG, Jeep Trackhawk, E63s, Ferrari 488 Spyder
I am lucky I don't have anything happening on the list above however...

Lets be serious... Cars are getting more expensive and corners are getting cut. Lets face the facts. The GLC is technically a 35k car. We just opted for the 80k version of it.

I'll let you borrow my Trackhawk and you will lose your mind with all the noises going on in it.

My suggestion is crack the windows, put it in sport plus, switch to manual and have the exhaust cancel the noise out.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:39 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
GLC63
Originally Posted by kacha858
I am lucky I don't have anything happening on the list above however...

Lets be serious... Cars are getting more expensive and corners are getting cut. Lets face the facts. The GLC is technically a 35k car. We just opted for the 80k version of it.

I'll let you borrow my Trackhawk and you will lose your mind with all the noises going on in it.

My suggestion is crack the windows, put it in sport plus, switch to manual and have the exhaust cancel the noise out.

To be fair, the trackhawk is a 31k car with a big *** engine.

I am still looking to see if the trackhawks also develops the flexing carbon fiber trim issues that the SRTs always had.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 AMG GLC 43
Yeah I've got a bunch of rattles in mine. I noticed the body panels gaps too.

but I'm not terribly worried about it. Coming from a Lexus I knew that I was going to have to deal with these little issues. Lexus blows everybody out the door when it comes to quality and reliability. However, Lexus is boring AF. I wanted a fast SUV so I was forced to look at the german brands.

I'll get the rattles addressed at my first 10k service so the car has time to produce other issues LOL

I also don't plan on owning this one out of warranty. I'll see how it treats me for the first 35k miles, then I'll probably buy the extended warranty
Old 10-25-2018, 10:32 AM

I can't understand the constant excuses made for poor build quality and engineering issues. It is not ok to have multiple interior rattles and buzzes in any new vehicle. It is not ok to have 4 recalls in a year. It is not ok for the transmission to have have a downshift so jerky in any drive mode that you can't stop the car smoothly and be told after two service rebuilds that you gotta live with it. It is not ok to spend 65k on a vehicle and lose you *** on it because you are going to have to get rid of it
before the warranty runs out because you are afraid of the future repair cost. And it is not ok to have no response from MB or the dealer to try and rectify the situation. I traded in an Infinity FX35 that didn't have one service issue in 5 years and 85,000 miles and had no rattle issue in the interior ever. I currently drive a 2015 Mustang GT, 2007 Chrysler 300(120k miles, winter car)and a 2016 Ram Pickup, all quiet inside, less quality and recall issues combined than my GLC43. Stop accepting this crap and excusing it.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:36 AM

2018 AMG GLC 43
Originally Posted by johnz1954
I can't understand the constant excuses made for poor build quality and engineering issues. It is not ok to have multiple interior rattles and buzzes in any new vehicle. It is not ok to have 4 recalls in a year. It is not ok for the transmission to have have a downshift so jerky in any drive mode that you can't stop the car smoothly and be told after two service rebuilds that you gotta live with it. It is not ok to spend 65k on a vehicle and lose you *** on it because you are going to have to get rid of it
before the warranty runs out because you are afraid of the future repair cost. And it is not ok to have no response from MB or the dealer to try and rectify the situation. I traded in an Infinity FX35 that didn't have one service issue in 5 years and 85,000 miles and had no rattle issue in the interior ever. I currently drive a 2015 Mustang GT, 2007 Chrysler 300(120k miles, winter car)and a 2016 Ram Pickup, all quiet inside, less quality and recall issues combined than my GLC43. Stop accepting this crap and excusing it.
I'm not sure what your rant is about. Nobody is accepting it or excusing it. It is what it is. If someone doesn't like the quality, they are free to get rid of it and buy another car. There are plenty of other things I like about the car so I'll be keeping it.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:42 AM

When you say"it is what it is" you are accepting and excusing it.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:45 AM

2018 AMG GLC 43
When you say"it is what it is" you are accepting and excusing it.
No I'm not. I'm saying that there are other reasons for me to like the car.

I'll get the rattles fixed under warranty and move on with my life. Life is too short to get wrapped around the axle over little things.

If you don't like the quality issues that much, then trade the car in. If you are upside down, wait until you aren't then trade the car in.

Or don't.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Sorry to hear JR, truly unacceptable in a vehicle of this price. Address with the dealer and see if they can rectify...also see if they have another 63 on the lot and ask to drive it to compare. I've had my 43 almost a year now and the only issue of yours I've had (knock on wood) is the surging throttle. Even that, I think is sometimes me, as the MB has one of the touchy-ess throttles I've experienced, especially in Sport+ mode. I'm actually quite surprised how rattle free and comfortable the car is on 21's/summer tires and driving in the Northeast where roads are absolute garbage. I do get some wind noise at higher speeds, but I may ask for the acoustic glass on the front 2 windows on my next dealer visit to address that. Hope you get sorted out!
Old 10-25-2018, 12:07 PM

osidepunker:
not upside down, paid cash. problem is you take a huge depreciation hit when dumping a car the first couple of years, and it pisses me off to have to consider taking that kind of loss for something that shouldn't be happening
I wish you good luck getting your interior rattles and other issues fixed. I'm betting that won't happen.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:10 PM

2018 AMG GLC 43
osidepunker:
not upside down, paid cash. problem is you take a huge depreciation hit when dumping a car the first couple of years, and it pisses me off to have to consider taking that kind of loss for something that shouldn't be happening
I wish you good luck getting your interior rattles and other issues fixed. I'm betting that won't happen.
haha I understand all that. I'm just saying, you have options if you are unhappy with your purchase.

I'm sure they'll fix the rattles. But if they don't, I'm still not gonna get rid if it. What would I trade it for??? an FX35? hells no. The mecan is way too expensive for what you get. the x3 with m package is ugly and not as comfortable as the GLC43

There's no such thing as a perfect car, but damn I do love my wagon
Old 10-25-2018, 12:18 PM

I took it to the dealer this AM. One of the senior techs rode with me and was amazed how noisy the car was and thinks that some of them will not be able to be remedied without an invasive tear down.

I am leaving the car with them for an entire week while I am at SEMA next week. If I am unable to get the car fixed I am going to go down the legal road and lemon the car. I'm not willing to sacrifice my sanity for a Mercedes product. There are too many other options that are simply as good if not better.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC43 AMG
You are definitely not the only one!! I have a 2017 GLC43 and I had buyers remorse immediately because of the harsh ride and the constant rattles! I now refer to my car as “the rattle trap”. I live in the Pacific Northwest where we get tons of rain and our roads and highways are crap..it’s like driving over a washboard or on a cobblestone road. I understand that I purchased an AMG vehicle with 21” run flat tires, but I shouldn’t hear 9 different parts of my car rattle every time I drive it. Fortunately, my local dealership was willing to chase some of the rattles, but many remain. My seatbelt buckle even rattles when I’m driving on a smooth road. I tried shoving a black sock down in between the seat and the buckle and it didn’t help. A $65k car and I am trying to remedy an issue with a sock. Ridiculous! My car has spent a total of 9 weeks at the dealership in the last year to address rattles and malfunction lights. My parents have a 2018 GLC43 and they are dealing with the same issues. My family has owned 9 Mercedes and this is by far the worst experience we’ve had. I have read so many reviews on the GLC43 where they talk about how smooth the ride is. My parents and I either have lemons, or the people reviewing the car have driven it only on smooth surfaces, or they are wackadoodle. I spent the weekend test driving a Porsche Macan and Audi SQ5. What a difference in the ride. Not. A. Single. Rattle. Its too bad about my GLC43 because I love everything else about the car.

I’m sorry you are having so many issues. Its frustrating and a time suck. Just know, sadly, you are not alone. Until I decide what to do about my car, I just crank up my music to drown out the rattle in the door, and the cup holder, (biggest design flaw ever by the way) and the seat belt buckle, and the dash, and the cargo cover...
Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 PM

GLC43 AMG
Oh, and JesseRohr, my husband and I have been down the lemon road. If that’s not something you have experienced before, let me know and I would be happy to share my experience with you and give you a couple of pointers.
The following users liked this post:
JesseRohr (11-01-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 11:59 AM

Current: 2018 GLC63 Retired: 2015 S550, 2012 cls550
My glc63 is pretty noisy and after driving a new GLE today, the ride in the GLC63 is like riding in a tin can down a steep hill.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:34 PM

Here to report some things have been sorted out. Some additional screwy things are showing up. Rattles are decreasing, electrical strangeness has replaced them. I have an extremely high reading outside ambient air temp sensor. The center screen in the cluster can show it as much as 35 degrees warmer than it really is. Anyone else seen that?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:36 AM

Sad to report that I am still suffering from terrible rattles on the GLC. They are confident they can get them out but I am exploring legal options now.

Does anyone have a contact with MB USA? I need to get around my dealer at this point.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by JesseRohr
Sad to report that I am still suffering from terrible rattles on the GLC. They are confident they can get them out but I am exploring legal options now.

Does anyone have a contact with MB USA? I need to get around my dealer at this point.
You'll have to call their customer center in GA and file a complaint. I believe that's the process...

800-367-6372

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Terrible Build Quality? I've got issues on a GLC63, do you?