GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Crabbing issue on GLC 43 on 2019s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Golf R
Question Crabbing issue on GLC 43 on 2019s

Hello, I recently placed an order for a GLC 43 2019 with 21" summer tires. I've been reading all the crabbing issues and it appears to be happening only on the 43 and not the 63 and regardless of the tire size, 19, 20, 21s.

My 43 is scheduled to be built at the end of November and I already paid the deposit. I'm certainly concerned, especially after watching this video
and seeing how bad it is. The parking at my condo has fairly narrow spots, so precise turning is a must.

Does anyone know if the 2019s are expected to have this issue too? I don't know if I still can get back my deposit or if it's worth moving to a 63. I live in the Upper Midwest so weather below 70 is for sure half year and I'm not looking to go lower than 21s for an AMG GLC (which in my opinion should work as advertised).

Thank you in advance for any insight you might be able to share.
The following users liked this post:
AB A (01-25-2020)
Old 11-01-2018, 01:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: 2018 GLC63 Retired: 2015 S550, 2012 cls550
Originally Posted by petdarrow
Hello, I recently placed an order for a GLC 43 2019 with 21" summer tires. I've been reading all the crabbing issues and it appears to be happening only on the 43 and not the 63 and regardless of the tire size, 19, 20, 21s.

My 43 is scheduled to be built at the end of November and I already paid the deposit. I'm certainly concerned, especially after watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTT0U8fciR0 and seeing how bad it is. The parking at my condo has fairly narrow spots, so precise turning is a must.

Does anyone know if the 2019s are expected to have this issue too? I don't know if I still can get back my deposit or if it's worth moving to a 63. I live in the Upper Midwest so weather below 70 is for sure half year and I'm not looking to go lower than 21s for an AMG GLC (which in my opinion should work as advertised).

I have a 2018 glc63 and it is definitely happening to me. I'd say 40% of the time backing out of my driveway which is not a tight curve. 50% of the time in parking spots. Its a problem. I'd make sure you drive the car and are comfortable with the noises it makes.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
18'GLC63
Originally Posted by bsmall1623
I have a 2018 glc63 and it is definitely happening to me. I'd say 40% of the time backing out of my driveway which is not a tight curve. 50% of the time in parking spots. Its a problem. I'd make sure you drive the car and are comfortable with the noises it makes.
Same with my GLC63 but not all the time, only happened during full lock when the tires are cold. Bsmall1623: is your GLC equipped with the 20" or 21"? I also experienced this crabbing on my Macan Turbo too , but not as frequent as the GLC...
Old 11-01-2018, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by KumaGLC63
Same with my GLC63 but not all the time, only happened during full lock when the tires are cold. Bsmall1623: is your GLC equipped with the 20" or 21"?
I have 20" with sport contacts. Fairly annoyed I just bought it and already have to purchase winter tire/rim setup. Hardly anyone caries the Alpin 5s yet.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:15 AM

18'GLC63
I have 20" with sport contacts. Fairly annoyed I just bought it and already have to purchase winter tire/rim setup. Hardly anyone caries the Alpin 5s yet.
I got the same set up. It doesn't help when my wife keep asking me if that sound is normal and if my car is ok...
Old 11-01-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by KumaGLC63
I got the same set up. It doesn't help when my wife keep asking me if that sound is normal and if my car is ok...
I'm going to take it in and complain. Parking in a parking garage this morning for a conference I am speaking at, and it happened right in front of about 15 attendees. I have now been asked twice AGAIN today what is the matter with the car?
Old 11-01-2018, 10:35 AM

18'GLC63
I'm going to take it in and complain. Parking in a parking garage this morning for a conference I am speaking at, and it happened right in front of about 15 attendees. I have now been asked twice AGAIN today what is the matter with the car?
Ugh, that sucks! I had my car aligned 3 days after I purchased it, the steering wheel was **** eyed on the right( just a smidge really annoying) so they did an alignment and fixed the issue. I don't know if that alignment help reduced the crabbing, but certainly it doesn't do it as other people experienced it.
Keep us posted to that they will say when you bring the car in.. Good luck!
Old 11-01-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3

My 43 is scheduled to be built at the end of November and I already paid the deposit. I'm certainly concerned, especially after watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTT0U8fciR0 and seeing how bad it is. The parking at my condo has fairly narrow spots, so precise turning is a must.

It's worse on RHD models, apparently...the video you posted. Not sure where you are located, US or overseas, so there's that with respect to crabbing...ah, Upper Midwest, I'm assuming USA like MI, MN, WI, etc. Yes, I would imagine the 2019's will have the same issue because it's an issue of alignment settings, suspension design, and summer tires....see here: https://mbworld.org/forums/glc43-glc...-glc-43-a.html

I am outside Philly and just started noticing it again with my 43, as the weather has gotten colder in the last month. I never really noticed it at all during the summer months, but even in the summer if the tires are cold (parked in garage, let's say) it can happen, but it's not bad and doesn't bother me, personally. Apparently, switching to 21" all season Pirelli Verde's helps a lot and I may go that route after my Conti's are worn down. I also don't drive a ton (only 5500 miles in about a year), so it really hasn't bothered much like it might if you are driving, parking, etc. daily.

As someone else recommended, drive the vehicle when it comes in and make the decision yourself before signing anything...or go find a 43 on the lot now and ask to drive, so you personally get a feel for what's going on. I'm pretty sure you should be able to get your deposit back, depending on State law and what you signed, but if you do go that route and the dealer gives you a hard time, I'd tell them you are going to complain to MB Corporate or the BBB and bring up the crabbing issue.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
Anyone think they will put in some sort of adjustment/fix for the facelifted models?
Old 11-02-2018, 10:41 AM

Golf R
Thanks everyone for their input. I'll definitely make sure to check the car before the last signature.

BTW, I've been checking this and it seems very prevalent in Porsche and Corvettes. From what I understand, it seems to be an engineering decision made to improve turning radius. Here's an interesting article about this issue on Corvettes
http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...-the-wrong-way

Lankensperger figured out that if the inside wheel is turned at a greater angle than the outside wheel, it won't skip over the pavement and make that thumping noise that's prevalent in the 2014 Corvette.
Corvette engineers decided the Stingray's tight turning radius is more important than eliminating the Ackermann Effect, said Chevrolet spokesman Monte Doran. It comes into play only at parking-lot speeds.
The Corvette's firm 18-inch front tires and cold weather also aggravate the problem. It's so noticeable that when a 2014 Stingray landed in the Automotive News test fleet recently, some who drove the flashy sports car thought it had a major defect. Some were hesitant to take the car home for the evening.
Corvette drivers also had to deal with the Ackermann Effect in the last generation, which ended production with the 2013 model. Doran said the problem could be fixed by limiting the turning radius. But that might not sit well with Corvette customers who like agile, sharp turns.
and some forum posts for Porsche and Corvette:
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=48&t=1331736
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-2016-zo6.html

and finally some relevant YouTube videos

LongShot (05-13-2019)
Old 11-23-2018, 03:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 43
wait till you drive it in a car park with painted floor, they'll hear the screeching in the next county
Old 11-23-2018, 08:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
audi q7
I drove a 2019 glc63 a couple days ago and first right hand turn made all kinds of noise like the front wheels were jumping. The car was fun and had plenty of power but in the end it was a glc with a big motor. Didn't like the road noise and the car felt a little on the cheap side and dated. Im going with a bmw 50i.Very disappointing since along with you all have been waiting months for this car to get in and was really let down.
Chrisk03 (11-23-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC63 SUV
New All-Seasons and Diff/Wheel Shudder is Gone

2019 GLC63 in NY (it’s cold). Got a set of 20” Pirelli Scorpion Zero All-Season Plus, had them installed yesterday. So far they ride great, cost $930 delivered from Tire Rack, and best of all the full-lock shudder is completely gone!
Chrisk03 (12-02-2018)
Old 01-22-2019, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glc43
Update?

I am currently contemplating x3 m40i and glc 43 w/21 inch rims. I have been ready to pull the trigger on the 43, but after finding out and reading about this crabbing issue / design flaw, I am starting to lean back towards to m40i. I really don’t want to get the m40i, so I am looking for some evidence that this issue is “isolated” and doesnt impact all vehicles. This car is a very popular model so I would have expected more users to voice their frustration. Can others she light on this? Does this issue appear in the x3 m40i for any of those who own this car as well and have similary sized rims (21 in)? I am just not sure how people are comfortable buying a car (glc 43) where this is a known design issue that causes unnecessarily premature tire wear, and further might be damaging other structural parts of the car (suspension)?

Someone please she some light on this!
Old 01-22-2019, 01:25 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by Popcornre4dy
I am currently contemplating x3 m40i and glc 43 w/21 inch rims. I have been ready to pull the trigger on the 43, but after finding out and reading about this crabbing issue / design flaw, I am starting to lean back towards to m40i. I really don’t want to get the m40i, so I am looking for some evidence that this issue is “isolated” and doesnt impact all vehicles. This car is a very popular model so I would have expected more users to voice their frustration. Can others she light on this? Does this issue appear in the x3 m40i for any of those who own this car as well and have similary sized rims (21 in)? I am just not sure how people are comfortable buying a car (glc 43) where this is a known design issue that causes unnecessarily premature tire wear, and further might be damaging other structural parts of the car (suspension)?

I'm not sure what more evidence you are looking for if you've read many of the threads/posts on this issue. If you get a GLC43/63 with 21" summer tires and drive the vehicle where it's cold (under 45-ish degrees), hence cold tires, you will more than likely experience this issue. It apparently is worse on RHD models. There are ways to minimize the crabbing, but it probably wont go away 100%.

Best advice is to go drive the GLC again in cold weather and see if you can live with on 21", 20" or whatever tire size you can drive or want to buy. That's about all you can do. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Accord
Originally Posted by Popcornre4dy

I have the GLC43 and haven't experienced this issue. However, I have the 20 inch multispoke rims on all season tires. I live in Canada where it's always cold and no issues with the tire skipping but that may be due to the size of wheels not being the 21's. Do I wish I got the 21's? I did at first but having owned the car for about 8 months, I like the 20's better with the multi spoke design as it compliments the car better. Plus I do believe they are wider out back when you get the 20's instead of the 21's.
I also looked at the BMW X3 M40i and I love the looks and performance but couldn't pull the trigger. I owned a first generation X3 and that car was a total lemon piece of garbage that I will never look at another BMW ever again in my life. That might not be fair to the entire brand as I only have had a sample size of 1 car but that 1 car was enough to keep me away forever. But I love the looks.....but never gonna buy it.....but it looks cool.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:21 PM

GLC 63 SUV
Originally Posted by AMGLI
2019 GLC63 in NY (it’s cold). Got a set of 20” Pirelli Scorpion Zero All-Season Plus, had them installed yesterday. So far they ride great, cost $930 delivered from Tire Rack, and best of all the full-lock shudder is completely gone!
Did you have them installed at the Mercedes dealership? Do you suggest getting an alignment after installing new tires? I have ordered a set of 21 Scorpion Zero All-Season as well and waiting for them to arrive.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:17 PM

2018 GLC43 AMG
For the 21" wheels, I replaced the stock Continental tires that had the crabbing issue with Atturo AZ850's in the GLC 63 stock size. I had about 500 miles on the stock tires and the crabbing was just annoying and embarrassing for a$70k vehicle. I have about 2500 miles on the AZ850's and have no complaints. No crabbing, no rubbing and look great.

https://atturo.com/az850/
295/35R21
265/40R21
Old 02-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
I am on a year now with 21in Pirelli Scorpions All Seasons and I have no problem with wear/thread/crabbing or grip. The crabbing problem is due to the soft compound in the summer tires. If you are about to purchase a GLC just ask the dealer to throw on All-Season tires, problem solved. I learned my lesson and will I will not make the same mistake twice by having summer tires on an SUV or any car during Winter/Cold Season months.

When Spring-Summer arrives I plan to go down a size to 20 HRE wheel and tire combo.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:09 PM
SPONSOR

Received 241 Likes on 188 Posts
www.wheelsboutique.com
Originally Posted by DameMD
When Spring-Summer arrives I plan to go down a size to 20 HRE wheel and tire combo.
We'll be here to help assist you with the HRE order when the time comes
Old 02-07-2019, 11:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC63 AMG
I also recently changed to the 20” Pirelli Scorpion Zero All-Season Plus tires. Absolutely great tire with an awesome ride and no crabbing at all. I did notice that the traction control on the GLC63 seems to be a little bit more eager to engage when going around a curve such as a highway ramp than with the original summer tires.

Last edited by andyaz; 02-07-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:27 PM

GLC 63 SUV
I am getting my new 21’ Pirelli Scorpion all seasons installed tomorrow. Hope this solves the crabbing. The weather recently has not been too cold (NY) so it be hard to see if the crabbing is completely gone but only time will tell!
Old 02-10-2019, 08:29 PM

GLC 63 SUV
Originally Posted by dmcconnell68
For the 21" wheels, I replaced the stock Continental tires that had the crabbing issue with Atturo AZ850's in the GLC 63 stock size. I had about 500 miles on the stock tires and the crabbing was just annoying and embarrassing for a$70k vehicle. I have about 2500 miles on the AZ850's and have no complaints. No crabbing, no rubbing and look great.

https://atturo.com/az850/
295/35R21
265/40R21
Wish I saw your post sooner. I don’t know much about tires but the 21’ Pirelli cost me a bit over 1k. I think I’m going to look into atturo after these wear out.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:48 PM

2019 GLC43
2019 GLC 43 Tire crabbing

I purchased a 2019 GLC43 and the issue is annoying. I am reaching out to my dealer for tire change out to all season tires
Old 02-16-2019, 10:37 PM

2018 GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by Wiz63AMG

Wish I saw your post sooner. I don’t know much about tires but the 21’ Pirelli cost me a bit over 1k. I think I’m going to look into atturo after these wear out.
Yeah, I thought about Pirelli, but have had them on other staggered setup Mercedes and hated them. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crabbing issue on GLC 43 on 2019s