GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Need Some Perspective: How old are you GLC43/GLC63 owners and why did you buy them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 09:33 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
Need Some Perspective: How old are you GLC43/GLC63 owners and why did you buy them?

So I turned 30 this year (single male) and I'm planning to be in the market for a new vehicle soon and the GLC 43 (maybe even a GLC 63) are top of my list. I had been driving a 2008 C300 for a long time and then a 2014 E350 4Matic, but while both of those sedans were/are fun, I frequently carry people and have had issues getting all luggage or other things in etc. on occasion, which is why I was looking at these small SUVs/Crossovers since there are no C43 wagons here.

In a way I was torn between the GLC and the C-Class, since I'd always wanted an AMG C-Class after first driving the w203 and seeing a C55 AMG speed by me on the freeway while I was living in Florida a decade ago. I still am torn a bit to be honest since I do like sporty nimble cars, but the GLC seems like a much better all-rounder (especially on crater-like New England roads).

Then I read this article today about this guy who is in a bit of a similar situation to me and he also felt he wanted a more mature car as he was getting older (though not old). He got roasted by most people on Jalopnik who chastised him and told him to buy Miatas etc and "more fun" cars. I felt they dismissed him and Jalopnik readers aren't exactly the most reasonable or objective people, so their criticism is usually one-track and can ignore the original point of the post.

Article referenced below:
https://jalopnik.com/im-getting-too-...oul-1830148890

BUT, that got me thinking about my own predicament and I actually became curious about how old GLC owners really are. Around Boston I see a major trend over the last year or so where every performance crossover (Macan, F-Pace, Quadrifoglio, Velar, X3, GLC etc) is driven by men of all ages and I'm quite intrigued to see a lot of younger males driving them. It seems to me like C63 and M3 owners kind of graduated to these vehicles since I hardly see those around anymore, and they were the "it" cars for guys my age during the w204/e92 generations whereas that seems to be less-so the case now from my impressions.

So I wanted to ask the following questions of you guys:

1. How old are you owners?

2. Why did you end up getting an AMG GLC (or generally, why did you opt for this more practical car versus something smaller like a C-Class or other vehicle)?

3. Do you also think that the small performance crossover trend seems to have somewhat supplanted performance sedans in recent years (at least in some places)?

All opinions welcome. Not really a post about me - just providing background for the reasoning behind the questions though all insight and thoughts welcome on that subject too.

Last edited by MB300AMG; 11-01-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: 2018 GLC63 Retired: 2015 S550, 2012 cls550
32 - GLC63, previous had a 2012 Renntech CLS550 and a 2015 S550. Decided on the GLC since we are expecting in February.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:11 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
GLC63
I would not say the sporty SUVs have supplanted performance cars. It is just that as more performance crossovers become available in response to the non-performance market adopting crossovers, people who like a little practicality with their performance would buy them.

I am 33. my first car i reaally loved was a 2006 dodge Magnum SRT8 which replaced a 2005 dodge Magnum R/T. I still have that car 10 years later, currently rebuilding the engine. It was my first true obsession.

I bought a Durango R/T with the 5.7L HEMI after my first kid to be the family car 3 years ago, but lost it to my wife in a hostile takeover, so I traded her Sonata Turbo for a 6.4L Hemi Dodge Charger Scatpack in Plum Crazy purple. After 18 months of hard driving, i traded it for a SRT jeep because I was bored and getting tired of bending low to put my toddler in. That was really an excuse because my brother has 2 toddlers but kept his B5 blue Scatpack charger and is doing just fine.

I am getting the GLC really because I cannot afford an E63 wagon as I have a preference for wagons. My wife also objects to going back to a Charger because she feels they are obnoxious or I would be back in a hellcat charger instead.

looking at the other guys who participate in this forum, i would say there are many different backgrounds and unique interests that brought us towards the GLC63 but the thing we generally like are the performance to go with the space.

I saw that thread and my advice to the lad would have been to get a dodge charger scatpack. it is a little more grown up than a mazdaspeed 3 with a lot more performance and cabin space.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
audi q7
Not sure if there is a normal anymore. I am 63 and have an nsx to play with but was wanting something sporty that can also haul stuff. I have an x5 50i on order at 105k but am also going to give the glc63 a look if it comes in before my order is locked.
As a side note i went to an exclusive bmw unveiling the other night and was really surprised by the age of the crowd. There was only a handful of what i call old guys like me. Most were upper 30s early 40s. made me wonder where they get the money to buy these toys. I am a cash only guy likely because i come from a time when you didnt buy it if you couldnt afford it. Is the trend now to just lease or finance and just accept the cost?
The following users liked this post:
Tigbergslim (06-04-2021)
Old 11-02-2018, 06:41 AM

Received 94 Likes on 46 Posts
G63 AMG, Lamborghini LP580-2
I am 36.

I never buy the practical cars and I make my living manufacturing performance parts. The most impractical car typical works the best for me.

Other vehicles in signature.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
GLC43
I am 35.

I have always been a car & motorcycle guy, and modified everything I owned. With that being said, I am waiting on a GLC43. It is my wife's car. She is 30 and it is her first brand new car so what better way to start than with an AMG.

We decided on the GLC for practicality, safety, and AWD for when our family grows to +1. I could've gone with a Grand Cherokee, or any of the four banger German SUVs but again, the enthusiast in me wanted something more fun in the garage. Why a 43 over a 63? My wife preferred the 43, and come to think of it, I can flog the hell out of the 43 without getting in too much trouble.
MB300AMG (11-06-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:07 AM

GLC63
Originally Posted by iasm
Not sure if there is a normal anymore. I am 63 and have an nsx to play with but was wanting something sporty that can also haul stuff. I have an x5 50i on order at 105k but am also going to give the glc63 a look if it comes in before my order is locked.
As a side note i went to an exclusive bmw unveiling the other night and was really surprised by the age of the crowd. There was only a handful of what i call old guys like me. Most were upper 30s early 40s. made me wonder where they get the money to buy these toys. I am a cash only guy likely because i come from a time when you didnt buy it if you couldnt afford it. Is the trend now to just lease or finance and just accept the cost?

sorry to say but your generation kinda changed the economy forever. if the 30-somethings and younger only bought things in cash, the economy would crumble. not even my 1st 2 year old camry that cost 13k would have been a cash purchase at 19.

things are a lot different now from when yall were buying 72 Chevelles for 500 in high school with the money you made from throwing newspapers and cutting grass.

Additionally, if we do not participate in the credit economy, we also take a hit.

want to buy a house? oh no, you have never financed a car or splurged on a credit card, thaat would be a NO!. or here's a ridiculous mortgage insurance you must pay for on top your mortgage.

This is not directed towards you but we all would love to live life like that but the economic system would not allow it.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 Porsche 911 GTS
I am 47.

We have a fun car (2015 911 GTS) and need a car that can carry at least 2 bicycles on a roof rack (I'm not putting the Sevens on the back of my car). I originally lusted after the E63 wagon but the E400 (?) we sat in at the dealer felt way too big. I was thinking of a C63 AMG but we saw the GLC AMG 63S coupe at the showroom, and it was an Edition 1... and my wife really wanted the deviating yellow stitched interior. So we went with that because there's no other way to get that in the GLC. It replaced a 2016 Macan S.

I don't the small performance crossover trend has supplanted or will ever supplant the performance sedan. My take on it is that people were drawn to SUVs, at least in America. But the reality is that only a tiny percent of them ever see offroad... so the performance crossover allows people to get a car that almost looks like an SUV... but isn't. IMO it's kinda goofy, but what I really want is an AMG C 63S wagon. I like the GLC a lot... but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a performance wagon. If they brought an RS4 Avant wagon here or some kind of M3 wagon... that's my ideal car. E wagon is too big for me although the AMG variant is hot.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by viper3ez
sorry to say but your generation kinda changed the economy forever. if the 30-somethings and younger only bought things in cash, the economy would crumble. not even my 1st 2 year old camry that cost 13k would have been a cash purchase at 19.

things are a lot different now from when yall were buying 72 Chevelles for 500 in high school with the money you made from throwing newspapers and cutting grass.

Additionally, if we do not participate in the credit economy, we also take a hit.

want to buy a house? oh no, you have never financed a car or splurged on a credit card, thaat would be a NO!. or here's a ridiculous mortgage insurance you must pay for on top your mortgage.

This is not directed towards you but we all would love to live life like that but the economic system would not allow it.
"When I was your age, we walked to school uphill both ways"
The following 6 users liked this post by ckay:
BAMBAMODA (05-29-2019), Chrisk03 (11-02-2018), Givmeabrek (04-27-2019), JesseRohr (11-02-2018), psychlox (11-02-2018), viper3ez (11-02-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-02-2018, 12:05 PM

GLC63
Originally Posted by ckay
"When I was your age, we walked to school uphill both ways"

One of my joys is being able to truthfully say this to my kids.

I grew up in West Africa and really did walk a good number of miles to or from school some days.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:20 PM

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
'18 Black GLC63S
I am the same 47 as Psychlox but without the fun 911 GTS. I had a BMW E92 xdrive for a while, you need AWD in Chicago for a daily driver. GLC63S just made sense, i.e., just a higher riding C63S but with AWD. I looked at an E63S, but wanted the higher riding position. The new G63 looks great, maybe someday I'll switch to that. Or maybe I just give up on AWD and go with a GT-R .
Old 11-02-2018, 03:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 AMG GLC 63, 2016 BMW M4 Convertible, 2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by iasm
I'm a cash only person too. Feels good not to owe anybody anything.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 AMG GLC 63, 2016 BMW M4 Convertible, 2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi SQ5
I'm 47. I have an M4, and drove my daughters car in the winter. We let her take the car to college this year, so I need a winter car. Was looking at a number of cars, but after driving the GLC63 fell in love with it, especially the exhaust note. Get fast and powerful performance, while still being able to tell my wife its a practical car for winter driving.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car
I am 47. I have always had a soft spot for wagons, since i was a child sitting in the back of my dad's caprice classic during our summer trips to visit family in Texas. My C 63S is a fantastic car, but it's simply not as sexy as this pseudo-wagon the GLC 63 is to me. So essentially, i like the idea of a quicker car with a little more space for my things as well as a slightly taller ride height.

Now, if only I knew when the bugger will be delivered...
Justin Bond (04-27-2019)
Old 11-02-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by MB300AMG
So I wanted to ask the following questions of you guys:

1. How old are you owners?

2. Why did you end up getting an AMG GLC (or generally, why did you opt for this more practical car versus something smaller like a C-Class or other vehicle)?

3. Do you also think that the small performance crossover trend seems to have somewhat supplanted performance sedans in recent years (at least in some places)?

All opinions welcome. Not really a post about me - just providing background for the reasoning behind the questions though all insight and thoughts welcome on that subject too.
1. Older than you and younger than iasm ...

2. Time for a new car and although I'm typically a car/coupe person, I really have fallen for the mid-size sport SUV's....(GLC, Macan, SQ5, etc.) I'm in sales and often have to drive people to lunch, meetings, etc. and a small, sporty SUV just made sense.

3. Absolutely!! With gas prices still relatively cheap and the functionality of an SUV, I think this trend will stick for some time. Plus, every damn person on the road seems to have some type of SUV and it's almost a hazard to have a normal car from a visual safety standpoint these days. I drive a Corolla most of the time in the winter and on the Jersey Turnpike, it's almost impossible to see around all of the SUV's...CR-V/RAV4 included. You can just see so much more when sitting up high in a SUV/CUV.

F-ing hilarious ckay! ...but did you do that in the snow and without shoes? For the "fatherly opinion", save the $$$ you'd spend on the GLC43, get something more practical financially and invest the rest (Roth) for the next 5 to 10 years and then go get something you really want. Who cars what Jalopnik (mostly crap/clickbait articles, IMO) or anyone else thinks with what you drive. If you really need that "performance fix" now, take $2k and go to the AMG Driving Academy or M-School, but still get the practical vehicle. You'll be better in the long-run overall, IMO. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
G63
44, needed a car that I wouldn't mind handing the keys over to a valet when I go into the city and also was big enough to lug around two german shepherds with.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:17 PM

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
18'GLC63
I am 37. Just wanted to experienced the AMG power and I fell in love the body styling cues of the GLC63. Also, I’m a sucker for fast suv’s and the 63 delivers that brute power, love it! Prior to the GLC I had a Audi Q5 tuned TDi, then I had a Macan Turbo that I traded for the GLC63.

I grew up riding on MB cars and drove an 81’ 280 ce back in college days, good times... Even though I’m a VW/Audi/Porsche guy I have a soft spot for MB cars/suv..
Justin Bond (04-27-2019)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:56 PM

GLC63
Originally Posted by KumaGLC63
I am 37. Just wanted to experienced the AMG power and I fell in love the body styling cues of the GLC63. Also, I’m a sucker for fast suv’s and the 63 delivers that brute power, love it! Prior to the GLC I had a Audi Q5 tuned TDi, then I had a Macan Turbo that I traded for the GLC63.

I grew up riding on MB cars and drove an 81’ 280 ce back in college days, good times... Even though I’m a VW/Audi/Porsche guy I have a soft spot for MB cars/suv..

damn. i self taught myself driving in a 81 230E 4 speed manual.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC 63?
1) Mid '40s

2) Haven't received anything - it is on order, sitting at VPC since end of July. My better half wanted an SUV - I wanted a sports car. This was a good compromise. We both smiled when we test drove the 2018 version.

3) Yes, I think there is definitely a trend. The 63 SUV seemed to be the best performer (looked at the Alfa but wasn't thrilled with the design - although arguably better performance). Wish the GLC "S" model was available as an SUV in the US, but no luck. Evidently the 2019 regular version isn't available either....still waiting!!!
Old 11-03-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC63
1) 42

2) was looking for more room and all-wheel drive coming from a 2014 Cadillac CTS V-Sport (which is a great car by the way). My son, who is now 5, was starting to do more activities (soccer, swimming, friends birthday parties, etc), so I wanted a little more cargo capacity. Never expected to be in a Mercedes, let alone a AMG 63. And never thought I’d be in a car faster than my Caddy (4.4 sec 0-60). Unexpected, but I got hooked on the GLC63 as soon as the test drive started.

3) sport sedans will never go out of style in my opinion, but more and more people are opting for the conveniences that crossovers afford. And if manufactures keep pumping out high performance variants, the sacrifices become smaller and smaller moving to an SUV style vehicle.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 GLC 63 AMG Coupe
55yo husband & dad, traded my 2015 F150 SEMA truck and 2015 C63 507 for my new 2018 GLC 63 Coupe...it does what the other 2 did in spades!
Old 11-03-2018, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
1) 52

2) The GLC63 wasn't my first choice... I was planning to get an E63S wagon, but they only make the lower end models with the designo interior. Once my 2002 Dodge Durango RT started acting up, I decided that I could free up two garage spots by getting rid of the Durango and my 2016 C450 AMG Sport, and in the process I could keep the interior of the C450 that I loved. (I liked the C63S but AWD performance vehicles are hands down my favorite to drive, so I went with the C450... The C450 was great to drive, but I can definitely say that the GLC63 starts where the C450 ends. Even the C63S doesn't handle like the GLC63 in the weather that I see most of the year). And I second (or third) that Mercedes is making a mistake not selling the "S" variant of the SUV in the U.S.

3) I don't think so... I think it ends up being an easy way to slip a second performance vehicle past our wives (Oh, and the extra spot I freed up... that is going to be for a GT73 4-door (the 800 hp hybrid GT 4-door) ).
Old 11-04-2018, 01:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 GLC43 SUV Delivered 1/12/19
Talking 2019 GLC43 Ordered

75 here almost. Love performance cars that handle and are also practical. I live 14 minutes from the 'Tail of the Dragon', TN (318 curves in 11 miles)!

Twisties...
Old 11-05-2018, 12:50 AM

Received 180 Likes on 137 Posts
2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43, 2014 E63
34, male, single, new home owner. I’m also rich and secure enough not to GAF what other people think. My first car was a 12 year old Toyota Camry station wagon with no paint on the hood or roof and missing hub cap. The AC didn’t work so in the summer I’d step out of the car and my back would be all wet from sweating. Sometimes it wouldn’t start, and I’d have to put it in neutral and push it back or forward a bit so the engine would turn over. Drove that around as a junior and senior in high school. I’m older now and don’t have an image I need to project.

As for the GLC43, I needed a small SUV to carry stuff home from Home Depot for projects around the house, landscaping, gardening, and small furniture. Have a personal limit of spending no more than $70k on a new/used car. So the GLC63 was not an option, and the engine seems unreliable with unfixable CEL anyway. Moreover, living in Los Angeles, the extra power is wasted by traffic or people driving the speed limit in all three left lanes out of 6 or more lanes. I looked at GLE43, but the interior is outdated (though it’s the same as my E63) and it’s too big for everyday commuting.

Last edited by taphil; 11-05-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glc 43 amg
53 but prime driver wife is 57 at purchase. Had a lexus rx350 and prob would have gotten same except for that dam darth Vader grille. Tried glc 300 then amg 43 then went to bmw and tried the x3 and x4. Mercedes was better for us. Always loved how Mercs aged so well with styling. The performance of the 43 sold us. We are empty nesters with dogs so the extra volume of the crossover is nice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Some Perspective: How old are you GLC43/GLC63 owners and why did you buy them?