GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Really wanted to buy but disappointed by a few things

Old 11-24-2018, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C63 AMG
Really wanted to buy but disappointed by a few things

I'm in a weird situation right now - looking to consolidate from two cars (2016 BMW M2 and 2017 Golf R) to one car that can do the duties of both. In other words, a fast car that is a hatchback/small SUV, that sounds great, is fun to drive, AWD, and has all the modern tech amenities of the Golf (radar cruise control, Android auto, etc).

The Golf R is the cheapest car I have daily driven in a decade (mostly I have had a slew of BMWs), but it is unquestionably the best to live with. As I have driven the M2 less and less due to time constraints, I started craving the next step up from a Golf. I wanted something that had the speed and sound of the M2 combined with the next step in luxury and AWD/Tech that the golf had.

There are very few cars that seem to fit this profile without being huge like the X5M and GL63; really, it comes down to the GLC 63 AMG and the Stelvio Quadrofoglio. The GLC 63 AMG has SO MUCH to like about it that from online research, it appeared to be my #1 choice by leaps and bounds. Today I drove one, and I am left with very conflicting emotions.

Driving impressions:

This thing drives great. It's fast, sounds great, the brake pedal feel is shockingly good for a SUV, the suspension is great, etc. I was honestly shocked how well it drove considering it is not a sedan. I really loved to drive it! This is a car I could be happy with on a daily basis from a driving feel standpoint. There is torque everywhere - don't always need to downshift to overtake. The car is small enough that I feel I can still commute in the same style I do with my Golf R (stuck in traffic, hit the gap at WOT to pass, brake hard, rinse and repeat), and it just feels good subjectively

The interior quality is exactly what I am looking for in terms of materials and build quality - a clear step above both the Golf and the M2. Materials are better with mostly soft touch plastics and leathers, metal feel or real metal switches and knobs, and it just overall feels like a nice place to be.

So, why didn't I get one?

In short, Mercedes has hampered this car with a combination of subpar and dated infotainment and a frustrating and confusing options menu.

I spend a lot of time on the phone for work. My Golf R with it's touchscreen and Android Auto has redefined how I think about in-car infotainment systems. The GLC 63 system with its laggy menus, non-touchscreen, and unintuitive controls frankly feels like it's from a decade ago. It's a less responsive system than I used to have in my 2014 BMW.

Speaking of Android Auto, why do I have to choose between Distronic cruise control and other safety systems and Android Auto? If my $42k Golf can allow me to select both, why can't a $90k Mercedes? This is frankly ridiculous - I would have been reluctantly willing to accept a non-touchscreen control of Android Auto, but I will not forgo things like radar cruise control in a $90k car to get a functional infotainment system.

Why is their no heated steering wheel in a $90k car?

Why can we only get the S engine variant in the ugly coupe instead of the more functional SUV style?

Why does only the coupe get the higher end LSD?

I don't mean to sound bitter, but I am upset because I so badly wanted to buy this car today and I just can't. The GLC 63 has the potential to be the best overall car on the road in my opinion, but squanders it due to MB corporate's shortsightedness.

I will continue to lurk here and hope that the 2020 refresh solves these problems so I can buy.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:39 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
GLC63
The android auto thing is shameful. I was mad i am getting an 85k car without it just because I wanted adaptive cruise that is now standard and available on Kias and corollas.

Right now, I use waze daily while driving around houston straight from my phone so i believe i can live without it in the infotainment system. At least i was willing to give that up for adaptive cruise.

Moving on, the GLC63 does have heated steering wheel standard. if you actually drove it, you should have seen the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel.

I personally would not consider electronic versus mechanical LSD to be a deal breaker. The other cars i cross-shopped, I cannot tell you if they have electronic or mechanical and it obviously has very little effect in the car's performance when you compare the 63 SUV performance to the 63S coupe performance.

even the Macan refresh seems to be behind the GLC63 and the Stelvio does not even offer cooled seats.

If you were seriously ready to buy, the only legitimate case against the GLC is the Android Auto/Carplay nonsense.

The other things are quite inconsequential.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:55 PM

GLC63
Also, as far as performance goes, beyond being powerful and faster than both the cars you are trying to consolidate, you get things like adjustable dampening (air suspension here), adjustable ride height, drive modes, etc.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 GLC63, 2016 Audi S4, 2018 Ford F-150
I agree with all your points. Although those features weren’t deal breakers for me. But I had a 2015 Audi SQ5 as a daily before getting my GLC63 a few days ago. The tech in the Mercedes is leaps and bounds above the Audi. The new SQ5 has much better tech (than the previous generation and the GLC), but I wanted more power and too much of that car feels like the previous generation. It was time for something different. I also buy a new daily driver every 18 months to two years, so I’m sure I’ll be able to get those features on the next car.

The lack of apple carplay/android auto is definitely bs though. There’s no reason my Ford F-150 work truck should have it but it’s unavailable in a Mercedes.

Viper, heated steering wheel isn’t standard. I don’t have it on my ‘19. I think it depends on the leather package chosen. But being in Florida I’d never have a use for it anyway.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:36 AM

GLC63
Originally Posted by DanielB
I agree with all your points. Although those features weren’t deal breakers for me. But I had a 2015 Audi SQ5 as a daily before getting my GLC63 a few days ago. The tech in the Mercedes is leaps and bounds above the Audi. The new SQ5 has much better tech (than the previous generation and the GLC), but I wanted more power and too much of that car feels like the previous generation. It was time for something different. I also buy a new daily driver every 18 months to two years, so I’m sure I’ll be able to get those features on the next car.

The lack of apple carplay/android auto is definitely bs though. There’s no reason my Ford F-150 work truck should have it but it’s unavailable in a Mercedes.

Viper, heated steering wheel isn’t standard. I don’t have it on my ‘19. I think it depends on the leather package chosen. But being in Florida I’d never have a use for it anyway.
que?

what seats do you have? I opted for the 2600 leather seats in red pepper.

perhaps we need to take a toll to see who gets heated steering because it is not an option to pick in configuration. i don't get how it could be neither standard nor optional.

do you have the nappa steering upgrade?
Old 11-25-2018, 12:39 AM

GLC63

consider me upset. i do not see the markings on the stalk on mine. this is bull**** really.

now i'm sidingwith OP's decision to pass
Old 11-25-2018, 12:48 AM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by dasamg
I'm in a weird situation right now - looking to consolidate from two cars (2016 BMW M2 and 2017 Golf R) to one car that can do the duties of both. In other words, a fast car that is a hatchback/small SUV, that sounds great, is fun to drive, AWD, and has all the modern tech amenities of the Golf (radar cruise control, Android auto, etc).

The Golf R is the cheapest car I have daily driven in a decade (mostly I have had a slew of BMWs), but it is unquestionably the best to live with. As I have driven the M2 less and less due to time constraints, I started craving the next step up from a Golf. I wanted something that had the speed and sound of the M2 combined with the next step in luxury and AWD/Tech that the golf had.

There are very few cars that seem to fit this profile without being huge like the X5M and GL63; really, it comes down to the GLC 63 AMG and the Stelvio Quadrofoglio. The GLC 63 AMG has SO MUCH to like about it that from online research, it appeared to be my #1 choice by leaps and bounds. Today I drove one, and I am left with very conflicting emotions.

Driving impressions:

This thing drives great. It's fast, sounds great, the brake pedal feel is shockingly good for a SUV, the suspension is great, etc. I was honestly shocked how well it drove considering it is not a sedan. I really loved to drive it! This is a car I could be happy with on a daily basis from a driving feel standpoint. There is torque everywhere - don't always need to downshift to overtake. The car is small enough that I feel I can still commute in the same style I do with my Golf R (stuck in traffic, hit the gap at WOT to pass, brake hard, rinse and repeat), and it just feels good subjectively

The interior quality is exactly what I am looking for in terms of materials and build quality - a clear step above both the Golf and the M2. Materials are better with mostly soft touch plastics and leathers, metal feel or real metal switches and knobs, and it just overall feels like a nice place to be.

So, why didn't I get one?

In short, Mercedes has hampered this car with a combination of subpar and dated infotainment and a frustrating and confusing options menu.

I spend a lot of time on the phone for work. My Golf R with it's touchscreen and Android Auto has redefined how I think about in-car infotainment systems. The GLC 63 system with its laggy menus, non-touchscreen, and unintuitive controls frankly feels like it's from a decade ago. It's a less responsive system than I used to have in my 2014 BMW.

Speaking of Android Auto, why do I have to choose between Distronic cruise control and other safety systems and Android Auto? If my $42k Golf can allow me to select both, why can't a $90k Mercedes? This is frankly ridiculous - I would have been reluctantly willing to accept a non-touchscreen control of Android Auto, but I will not forgo things like radar cruise control in a $90k car to get a functional infotainment system.

Why is their no heated steering wheel in a $90k car?

Why can we only get the S engine variant in the ugly coupe instead of the more functional SUV style?

Why does only the coupe get the higher end LSD?

I don't mean to sound bitter, but I am upset because I so badly wanted to buy this car today and I just can't. The GLC 63 has the potential to be the best overall car on the road in my opinion, but squanders it due to MB corporate's shortsightedness.

I will continue to lurk here and hope that the 2020 refresh solves these problems so I can buy.
+1000 on the infotainment...my biggest complaint with my GLC43. If I ever step up to a 63, it will be a 2020 model +, when they will probably fix the infotainment issue like the 2019 C class has now. Its irked me so much I've thought of going back to BMW, but they dont support Android, so it's either MB or Audi. Really is shameful for the price of these vehicles.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by viper3ez
que?

what seats do you have? I opted for the 2600 leather seats in red pepper.

perhaps we need to take a toll to see who gets heated steering because it is not an option to pick in configuration. i don't get how it could be neither standard nor optional.

do you have the nappa steering upgrade?
I have the 801 Black Nappa Leather option. Standard wheel.
I just checked my window sticker. No mention of heated wheel anywhere. And here’s the weird part, it doesn’t have heated mirrors. I’ve had heated mirrors as a standard feature on every vehicle I’ve purchased since I bought an ‘03 GTI. This is my 11th new car since ‘03 and the only one without heated mirrors.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:14 AM

GLC63

I just checked my window sticker. No mention of heated wheel anywhere. And here’s the weird part, it doesn’t have heated mirrors. I’ve had heated mirrors as a standard feature on every vehicle I’ve purchased since I bought an ‘03 GTI. This is my 11th new car since ‘03 and the only one without heated mirrors.
oh wow.

My jeep is going to feel very luxurious in retrospect after i get my GLC63. heated mirrors are indeed as basic is rear window defroster these days. I have had it in pickup trucks, dodge charger, kia optima for fork's sake.

i guess when you are required to opt for 5k DAP and MM packages just to get adaptive cruise control, you are not reallly buying the best.

this is just sad now.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:18 AM

oh wow.

My jeep is going to feel very luxurious in retrospect after i get my GLC63. heated mirrors are indeed as basic is rear window defroster these days. I have had it in pickup trucks, dodge charger, kia optima for fork's sake.

i guess when you are required to opt for 5k DAP and MM packages just to get adaptive cruise control, you are not reallly buying the best.

this is just sad now.
Again, not a deal breaker for me since I live in Florida and my car is kept in the garage. But I can see how this would be a major issue for someone in colder climates (so basically anywhere that isn’t Florida). We’ll add this to the list of things my F-150 has that my Mercedes at twice the price doesn’t.
The following users liked this post:
viper3ez (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 07:36 AM

2015 C63 AMG
Seriously? It doesn't have heated mirrors either? Wow. To me that's even stranger than not having a heated steering wheel.

This makes no sense to me, as the whole point of this car is to be a daily driver. If I wanted a warm weather weekend car, I would just get a AMG GTS. How can you make a daily car that doesn't have basic features that $30k daily drivers have?
Old 11-25-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
'18 Black GLC63S
I believe when you turn on the rear defroster, the heated side mirrors kick in. I read this on the GLC sub forum. Of course there are certain features you would hope and expect at this price point, but MB stuck with the exist COMAND for the 18s and 19s, and that’s a limitation. Flat bottom AMG steering wheels don’t have heating elements. I think that’s across all models, except maybe S class. They can charge more.
The following users liked this post:
viper3ez (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 12:05 PM

GLC63
Originally Posted by Nationalleaguer
I believe when you turn on the rear defroster, the heated side mirrors kick in. I read this on the GLC sub forum. Of course there are certain features you would hope and expect at this price point, but MB stuck with the exist COMAND for the 18s and 19s, and that’s a limitation. Flat bottom AMG steering wheels don’t have heating elements. I think that’s across all models, except maybe S class. They can charge more.
that makes sense then. but it is interesting they would not put the little icon on the mirror. this is how it functions on my jeep and dodge cars. rear defroster turns mirro heat on.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Yeah, exterior mirrors are heated and come on with rear defroster and low outside temps...standard. The drivers side mirror (and rear view mirror) is also anti-glare under certain circumstances.

Last edited by Chrisk03; 11-27-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 GLC 63 AMG
Totally agree with OP about the infotainment. It's beyond bad for me. Call me crazy, but based on infotainment ease of use alone, I often prefer my 2012 Honda, 2011 VW, and 2018 Kia more than the Mercedes. It's a good thing the GLC looks better and drives better. Now, if I could just snuff out all the damn interior rattles...
Old 11-25-2018, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43

Pretty sure heated mirrors are standard since they were standard on my GLC43. There is no separate control for them. They are operated with the rear window defog switch.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. J
Pretty sure heated mirrors are standard since they were standard on my GLC43. There is no separate control for them. They are operated with the rear window defog switch.
Interesting. That’s way better than the VW/Audi way where you have to turn the mirror adjustment knob to turn it on. But then the mirror wouldn’t dip when going into reverse since the knob was not set to the passenger mirror.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:12 PM

19GLCSIX3
Call me crazy but since I picked mine up about a week ago.....All ive listened to was the exhaust.

Except that 1850 mile break in is killing me.

Who even uses heated mirrors, the best thing ever is the app where you can start your car and then no need for that heat wheel / ish.

Btw, flat bottom doesn't have heated steering wheel.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:22 PM

2015 C63 AMG
1. Remote start doesn't help me in my freezing garage every morning
2. I have relied on heated mirrors countless times to keep them free of slush and ice while driving through blizzards.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:27 PM

GLC63
Originally Posted by dasamg
1. Remote start doesn't help me in my freezing garage every morning
How so? it would warm up the interior of the car.
2. I have relied on heated mirrors countless times to keep them free of slush and ice while driving through blizzards.

it does have heated mirrors.

how much blizzards do you drive in?
Old 11-27-2018, 10:45 PM

2015 C63 AMG
how much blizzards do you drive in?
Considering I drive back and forth from Ohio to Chicago to CT many times per year, quite a few. Oops, forgot all the trips to Michigan and the Great Lakes region (lake effect snow is a *****).

Can't do remote start in my garage, we would get fumed out of the house by the exhaust. If I have to manually go out to the garage, open the door, and back the car out to warm it up each morning it entirely defeats the point of remote start. It really is this simple - if I am buying a $90k luxury suv, it should have a heated steering wheel. Otherwise, I can back out my $40k golf and manually warm it up.

Last edited by dasamg; 11-27-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:31 AM

audi q7
Whats nuts is i bought a colorado pickup truck to tow behind my motorhome. No real options to pick from and basicly a cheap truck. it does both apple car play and android with blue tooth even. has heated seats and wheel. heated mirrors. backup camera. I have a $105k bmw x5 on order and its seems the little truck is going to give it some competition.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:57 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
GLC63S
Unhappy

Here are the options I ordered which I wasn't able to get.

Carbon Brakes
Heads Up Display
Rear Side Airbags
Air Balance
Apple Car Play with Command (2020)
Not available but I do agree the heated wheel would be nice

I placed my order 1 year and 8 months and I still don't have my car! The worst part is when I visited AMG last month, the 2020's rolling around with the camo on.