GLC63s:Tire/rim protection & Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 07:01 AM
phs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 SLK55AMG 18 C43AMG 19GLC63sAMG
GLC63s:Tire/rim protection & Extended Warranty

I will be taking possession of a 2019 GLC63s coming Wednesday in Toronto, Canada. I will be leasing the car but intend to keep it after the lease of 36 months. The dealership offered me two packages.
1. Extended warranty of 36 months beyond the basic of 48 months(Cdn$5090), with first 24months all inclusive and last 12 months on major components(l believe this includes engine and power train).
2. Rim and tire package for 60 months(Cdn$2620). That includes replacement of all punctured tires and replacement of cracked factory rims for 5years.

I have the 21” matte black AMG cross-spoke wheels. If I were to order this set of 4 rims with summers tires separately from Mercedes, it would have cost Cdn$14,000.00! I know, this is ridiculously crazy!
Up here in Toronto, we do have harsh winter driving and potholes from extreme weather fluctuations. I will be riding 19” winter tires on aftermarket rims in the winter.

Any opinions on the above packages would be much appreciated before I finalize the deal. Thank you.

P.S. All the above quotes are before our Ontario HST tax of 13%
Old 12-16-2018, 10:56 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
GLC63
so that is a 7 year warranty? with what mileage? 100k miles? There is no value in that for me and my consideration for the time value of money, I would buy at 45000 miles, not at 0 miles.

If the car never makes it to 48000 miles or you decide to go to a different car for any reason, you would have had 5k sitting there and possibly costing you interest for a few years.

I say skip the warranty extension for now and buy in cash 3 to 5 yyears from now if you get worried about reliability.

As for tires, if you are not driving on those tires through the winder, they are likely not going to meet the destruction you are trying to warrant. You are also going to wear through several sets of tires if you use summer tires in the summer like the OEM. These are lightweight forged wheels and not that susceptible to small road bumps. I will aslo skip on that because the risk does not justify the protection.

But that is my opinion and I drive a solid 40,000 miles annually.
The following users liked this post:
phs (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 GLC63, 2016 Audi S4, 2018 Ford F-150
I’ve always purchased the wheel and tire (road hazard) package except for one car because I was planning to change the wheels anyway. On some cars I’ve never had to use it, but overall it’s paid for itself. I even had nails in all four tires once. Roads here are terribly maintained

Make sure you find out what exactly is covered. My plan covers replacement of punctured tires, replacement (not repair) of bent wheels, and repair if possible of cosmetic damage (otherwise replacement). I think my plan for the MB was in the low $2k range. I’m not sure how it works in Canada, but here the coverage isn’t through the manufacturer. The dealership sells an aftermarket policy that is honored at any dealership I go to.

Edit: I can’t help on the extended vehicle warranty. I’ve never kept a vehicle long enough for the original factory warranty to expire. So someone else will have to chime in on that one.
The following users liked this post:
phs (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 11:41 AM
phs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 SLK55AMG 18 C43AMG 19GLC63sAMG
With 44 years of driving history, I have not damaged a rim enough that it needed replacement. Cosmetic damages many! The Canadian package does not take care of cosmetic rim damage unless it is associated with tire puncture/rupture. However, puncture tires I had quite a few.