MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc63s-glc63-glc43-amg-suv-coupe-x253-c253-217/)
-   -   GLC 63 S Edition 1 - should I pull the trigger (https://mbworld.org/forums/glc63s-glc63-glc43-amg-suv-coupe-x253-c253/716487-glc-63-s-edition-1-should-i-pull-trigger.html)

psychlox 07-28-2018 06:29 PM

GLC 63 S Edition 1 - should I pull the trigger

Hi;

Currently driving a 2016 Porsche Macan S, coming on 3 years of ownership. Starting to think of something new and was considering a GLC 63 S, even via European Delivery. Ran through the configurator and priced on out at roughly $90.5K:
Selenite Grey Metallic
21" AMG twin 5-spoke black
Multimedia
Advanced Parking assist
AMG Night
Ventilated front seats
Heated rear seats
AMG Performance exhaust

Stopped by a dealer and he had an Edition 1 on the lot. Had never even heard of it... but it was beautiful. So I'm thinking....

I would never ordinarily spend nearly $4K on a paint job or $5.5K on ceramic brakes etc - but... the car is so nice. They're asking $104K.

I'm not nearly cool enough to pull off a matte grey car with a bright yellow stripe. But I could talk myself into it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mr. J 07-28-2018 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by psychlox (Post 7514699)
Hi;

Currently driving a 2016 Porsche Macan S, coming on 3 years of ownership. Starting to think of something new and was considering a GLC 63 S, even via European Delivery. Ran through the configurator and priced on out at roughly $90.5K:
Selenite Grey Metallic
21" AMG twin 5-spoke black
Multimedia
Advanced Parking assist
AMG Night
Ventilated front seats
Heated rear seats
AMG Performance exhaust

Stopped by a dealer and he had an Edition 1 on the lot. Had never even heard of it... but it was beautiful. So I'm thinking....

I would never ordinarily spend nearly $4K on a paint job or $5.5K on ceramic brakes etc - but... the car is so nice. They're asking $104K.

I'm not nearly cool enough to pull off a matte grey car with a bright yellow stripe. But I could talk myself into it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

What's the MSRP on the sticker? The price sounds high. I think the ceramic brakes are wasted on the SUV models. They are designed to reduce fade on track toys and they have some significant disadvantages for use on a DD.

psychlox 07-28-2018 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. J (Post 7514723)
What's the MSRP on the sticker? The price sounds high. I think the ceramic brakes are wasted on the SUV models. They are designed to reduce fade on track toys and they have some significant disadvantages for use on a DD.

MSRP on the sticker was $104,600. When I total up all the options I can figure out from the sticker, I get $105,860 - but that doesn't include the AMG Performance seats and the AMG Aerodynamics Package (because I can't find those in the configurator). Taking the numbers from the C 63S configuration, I figure $2500 for seats and $1950 for aero; which makes my total $110,310. So, based on that, it's a good deal - also, you can't seem to configure matte grey or the yellow accents.

I can't get anything off the $104,600. Also, it's at the dealer so I can't do European Delivery - but I'm not sure when I'd be able to schedule that anyway.

Mr. J 07-29-2018 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by psychlox (Post 7514798)
MSRP on the sticker was $104,600. When I total up all the options I can figure out from the sticker, I get $105,860 - but that doesn't include the AMG Performance seats and the AMG Aerodynamics Package (because I can't find those in the configurator). Taking the numbers from the C 63S configuration, I figure $2500 for seats and $1950 for aero; which makes my total $110,310. So, based on that, it's a good deal - also, you can't seem to configure matte grey or the yellow accents.

I can't get anything off the $104,600. Also, it's at the dealer so I can't do European Delivery - but I'm not sure when I'd be able to schedule that anyway.

The window sticker has all the options and packages totaled. So they want full MSRP for a vehicle that's sitting on the lot. Only suckers pay full retail unless it's an extremely rare vehicle. They're too proud of this car. Let them keep it. Call more dealers. Ask them when their next build allocation is open and how much discount they will offer you below MSRP. These will be the main criteria for who you pick. Some may go lower, but their build allocation for a GLC63 may be further out in the future. Balance these two factors and pick the dealer that has the best of both and place an order. You will be happier with the outcome.

psychlox 07-29-2018 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. J (Post 7514928)
The window sticker has all the options and packages totaled. So they want full MSRP for a vehicle that's sitting on the lot. Only suckers pay full retail unless it's an extremely rare vehicle. They're too proud of this car. Let them keep it. Call more dealers. Ask them when their next build allocation is open and how much discount they will offer you below MSRP. These will be the main criteria for who you pick. Some may go lower, but their build allocation for a GLC63 may be further out in the future. Balance these two factors and pick the dealer that has the best of both and place an order. You will be happier with the outcome.

It's a P97 Edition One, which is a limited edition. The only article I can find that mentions the MSRP for this claims it's close to $120,000 - but I have no idea. I've searched online to see if I can find anything with the options I want and there's nothing. Not sure how long the wait will be for a new one.

Maverick787 07-29-2018 12:47 PM

Dealers don’t too much move off MSRP on a car they may only have 1 or 2. Also sitting on the floor draws attention to buy other things advertisement, and they know historically what sells around the country and for what. Try going to Porsche and get a GT3 at MSRP and it’s not a low volume car but they know 15k to 20k over gets you a car first year on launch. Also if you’re a big repeat buyer no problem at MSRP in most cases.

sumfungai 07-29-2018 05:33 PM

Do you have a snap of the Monroney? While it sounds like a high spec'd car, I'd think long and hard about the big ticket line items you're really not passionate about. I picked up a GLC63 at invoice.

psychlox 07-30-2018 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by sumfungai (Post 7515336)
Do you have a snap of the Monroney? While it sounds like a high spec'd car, I'd think long and hard about the big ticket line items you're really not passionate about. I picked up a GLC63 at invoice.

Here's a snap I took of the sticker. Would've taken a better one but I wasn't seriously considering it at that point. Family got in and then took it for a test drive... and then it was more realistic.
From what I've read, the Edition 1 originally had an MSRP of $120K; can anyone confirm this ?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...5d8261e363.jpg

ghbmd 07-30-2018 09:27 AM

I would think twice about getting something that expensive that you are truly not passionate about. The matte grey alone would keep me away. It feels cool in 2015 or 2016 but now feels a bit outdated. The yellow stripe? People will look at it and just think “a**hole”. Sounds like they took a beautiful, classy, luxury, super powerful European SUV and tried to market it to someone that might otherwise buy a yellow or green Hellcat.

Recently saw a a matte grey/yellow accent AMG GT R driven up to valet at a really nice restaurant. My first thought....”what a shame.””

psychlox 07-30-2018 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ghbmd (Post 7515765)
I would think twice about getting something that expensive that you are truly not passionate about. The matte grey alone would keep me away. It feels cool in 2015 or 2016 but now feels a bit outdated. The yellow stripe? People will look at it and just think “a**hole”. Sounds like they took a beautiful, classy, luxury, super powerful European SUV and tried to market it to someone that might otherwise buy a yellow or green Hellcat.

Recently saw a a matte grey/yellow accent AMG GT R driven up to valet at a really nice restaurant. My first thought....”what a shame.””

Thanks for the advice; I think I just needed to hear it from someone else. I'm leaning the same way now. I can pick up a 2019 (this was a 2018) with everything I want for a bit less money anyway - and without the yellow stripes.

ghbmd 07-30-2018 10:58 AM

Hope my honesty was not offensive. But if you drove a Macan S and are looking at the GLC 63/S then you understand the benefit and thrill of driving a powerful sports car that doesn’t scream “fast”. There are some people who will buy a base Mustang or a base corvette to have one. They may paint them red, get 21” tires and badass rims. And often, if given the option, they will delete the model designation just so someone might wonder “how powerful is that?”

Then there are are others who want the thrill and enjoyment of a luxury sports-sedan or sports-suv. Something that only those who know will appreciate. They buy AMG cars, RS cars, SVR cars. The thrill and excitemnt of driving that special edition GLC63S can be overwhelming. Especially since it is sitting right there and it can be yours today, But don’t make a $100,000 mistake you might regret.

psychlox 07-30-2018 11:09 AM

Seriously ? Your honesty was perfect. I figured I could pull off the matte finish, maybe. The yellow stripes and wheel colors would be a stretch for me.

I'm considering just building out a 2019 and seeing when I could get that.

(also, my other car is a 2015 911 GTS, but even that is grey and black, no color)

psychlox 07-30-2018 11:16 AM

Looking for the S model coupe.

sumfungai 07-30-2018 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by psychlox (Post 7515750)
Here's a snap I took of the sticker. Would've taken a better one but I wasn't seriously considering it at that point. Family got in and then took it for a test drive... and then it was more realistic.
From what I've read, the Edition 1 originally had an MSRP of $120K; can anyone confirm this ?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...5d8261e363.jpg

Very clever of MBUSA to do this...the line items I can't price out for certain are all lumped in. It may be an MSRP of $120k but who really knows? Pricing is all over the place to be honest and FWIW, my GLC 63 AMG had an MSRP with $15k in options and I got my car at invoice. As stated before, if you aren't emotionally tied to the car don't do it; at the end of the day it's just a car. I have had so many issues with matte paint on a car (paint matching and correction) that I would go the way of XPEL Ultimate if I wanted the matte look.

fabbrisd1 07-30-2018 03:41 PM

There are about 12 - 2018 Edition 1's available in the US - about 3-4 clustered about in TX - then the rest FL and Cali in general.

It's a frigging beast - in Matte - auto Carwash not recommended - handwash preferred - ...

psychlox 07-30-2018 07:19 PM

Thank you everyone for all of the advice. In the end, I was able to negotiate the price down to where it became a better solution than waiting for a 2019 via European Delivery (long story). Also, they can take the yellow stripe off for me ;-)

Looking forward to owning an MB again.

speedracr 07-30-2018 08:17 PM

Congrats! Would love to see photos of it.

Maverick787 07-30-2018 08:21 PM

Congrats and send some pics. If the car you want us available what wait to drive ......I can care less about model years just enjoy next day you may not be here waiting. Well done.

Nationalleaguer 07-30-2018 08:23 PM

Congrats. Post photos, want to see the aero kit.

viper3ez 07-30-2018 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by ghbmd (Post 7515765)

whoa. calm down. there is nothing wrong with either of thos colors you just descriped. as a former owner of a Purple Scatpack, My next car was going to be the F8 Green Hellcatif not for the 2nd baby coming.

Some people like bright and loud designs. who cares what others thing? Especially when buying a 100k car

viper3ez 07-30-2018 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by ghbmd (Post 7515831)
Hope my honesty was not offensive. But if you drove a Macan S and are looking at the GLC 63/S then you understand the benefit and thrill of driving a powerful sports car that doesn’t scream “fast”. There are some people who will buy a base Mustang or a base corvette to have one. They may paint them red, get 21” tires and badass rims. And often, if given the option, they will delete the model designation just so someone might wonder “how powerful is that?”

Then there are are others who want the thrill and enjoyment of a luxury sports-sedan or sports-suv. Something that only those who know will appreciate. They buy AMG cars, RS cars, SVR cars. The thrill and excitemnt of driving that special edition GLC63S can be overwhelming. Especially since it is sitting right there and it can be yours today, But don’t make a $100,000 mistake you might regret.

you really overgeneralize about people.

I legitimately fall in the target demographics of both a fast nice American made car and a Fast nice German car. I am an enthusiast before anything.

And funny you mention the badging because like my Charger, my GLC is going to be badge free, except the factory gets to do it in the benz.

viper3ez 07-30-2018 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by psychlox (Post 7516353)
Thank you everyone for all of the advice. In the end, I was able to negotiate the price down to where it became a better solution than waiting for a 2019 via European Delivery (long story). Also, they can take the yellow stripe off for me ;-)

Looking forward to owning an MB again.

awesome. post plenty of pictures. congratulations

ghbmd 07-30-2018 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by viper3ez (Post 7516482)
you really overgeneralize about people.

I legitimately fall in the target demographics of both a fast nice American made car and a Fast nice German car. I am an enthusiast before anything.

And funny you mention the badging because like my Charger, my GLC is going to be badge free, except the factory gets to do it in the benz.

Tastes and preferences vary. I understand why you would de-badge your cars. You wouldn’t want anything taking away from your green paint job.

viper3ez 07-30-2018 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghbmd (Post 7516503)

Tastes and preferences vary. I understand why you would de-badge your cars. You wouldn’t want anything taking away from your green paint job.

good one. applies to my Brilliant blue choice in GLC too. don't get me started on red pepper interior

sumfungai 07-31-2018 02:24 AM

Congratulations! Enjoy it in good health and looking forward to some pics!