GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 V167 GLE

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I hope he’s wrong. I read a news article that said they completed a build of GLE units to test with production to start in September. My dealer said they expect them late 1st Q to 2nd Q 18. I’m like you, not going to wait a year to buy something. Based on what I know now Mercedes was my first choice followed by the Audi Q8 and BMW X5. Audi released the Q8 in Europe yesterday maybe Mercedes will ship there first hoping to beat possible tariffs?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
167 GLE & GLS

Originally Posted by rbrylaw
So now I'm SO confused. I spoke with the sales manager at my MB Dealer this morning. He's saying he honestly doesn't expect to see the new GLE until late in 2019 at this point. He says the GLS is going to appear before the GLE and the GLS will be out in 2nd or 3rd quarter 2019. I don't feel like waiting until late 2019. So, I'm just completely confused as to what to do........

He also said MB has 2019's sitting at the port waiting to be released and won't be released until it's determined how the Trump Tariff's will affect pricing. Even though the cars are made in America, he says they'll still be subject to the Tariffs. Harumph to the max.
What I've found over many years of following model introductions is that I usually have better advance info than dealer sales people by being able to focus on one model and continuously scour the internet sources. I have preordered my W163, W164 & W166s by a year or more, as well as my E46, E92 & F82 BMWs. Manufacturers are invested in getting dealers to sell what is available now rather than looking to the future and usually hold advance info back until close to model release.

Only Daimler knows for sure, but most credible sources have the W167 GLE out mid-model year around late Q1/early Q2 2019. The fact that the 2019 W166 GLE gets a new powertrain does muddy the waters somewhat. As for the X167 GLS, given the comparative lack of spy info out on it, and the fact that it's a year older than the W166, I don't see how it would be out first.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
What I've found over many years of following model introductions is that I usually have better advance info than dealer sales people by being able to focus on one model and continuously scour the internet sources. I have preordered my W163, W164 & W166s by a year or more, as well as my E46, E92 & F82 BMWs. Manufacturers are invested in getting dealers to sell what is available now rather than looking to the future and usually hold advance info back until close to model release.

Only Daimler knows for sure, but most credible sources have the W167 GLE out mid-model year around late Q1/early Q2 2019. The fact that the 2019 W166 GLE gets a new powertrain does muddy the waters somewhat. As for the X167 GLS, given the comparative lack of spy info out on it, and the fact that it's a year older than the W166, I don't see how it would be out first.
I believe you Greg. You've always been a reliable source. I'm just not sure what I want to do at this moment. The Jaguar F Pace Sport with the 380 hp super charged V6 is a compelling option at the moment. It's a very fresh design, felt more luxurious than I expected (perhaps because I test drove a higher level S model) and while I haven't driven the 380 HP, one can only surmise that it would be a great option as the 30T I did test drive was pretty darn powerful at 300 HP and that's a 4 turbo. Jag hasn't implemented Apple Car Play. Instead they have what they call InControlApp, which when you connect say your iPhone via USB, mirrors many of the apps from your phone.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I believe you Greg. You've always been a reliable source. I'm just not sure what I want to do at this moment. The Jaguar F Pace Sport with the 380 hp super charged V6 is a compelling option at the moment. It's a very fresh design, felt more luxurious than I expected (perhaps because I test drove a higher level S model) and while I haven't driven the 380 HP, one can only surmise that it would be a great option as the 30T I did test drive was pretty darn powerful at 300 HP and that's a 4 turbo. Jag hasn't implemented Apple Car Play. Instead they have what they call InControlApp, which when you connect say your iPhone via USB, mirrors many of the apps from your phone.
Interesting thought about the Jag F Pace, I drove one right after intro and crossed it off my list after looking at the last place finish for JLR in quality. They were still low in 2017 but by now should have things figured out. I went on the forum and found most owner complaints were about the Infotainment system and some suspension parts that started to make a lot of noise. When I test drove the Infotainment system was buggy and slow to respond. The salesman had trouble with it. You also had to drill down several levels to get to selections. Even worse than Lexus. It’s one of the best looking if not the best, IMO. People still turn heads to look at them.
My wife’s 2018 Audi SQ 5 is faster if that’s a factor. 0-60 is 5.1 seconds. If you haven’t driven one you might add it to your list. Quality is first class and there is a lot of tech that was ahead of pack last year. Maybe MBUX will be better. Some say they are conservatively styled but with AM wheels she gets a lot of compliments. It’s one of the best driving/Handling Cars I have driven. I would be driving one now if it was a little bigger.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron.s

Interesting thought about the Jag F Pace, I drove one right after intro and crossed it off my list after looking at the last place finish for JLR in quality. They were still low in 2017 but by now should have things figured out. I went on the forum and found most owner complaints were about the Infotainment system and some suspension parts that started to make a lot of noise. When I test drove the Infotainment system was buggy and slow to respond. The salesman had trouble with it. You also had to drill down several levels to get to selections. Even worse than Lexus. It’s one of the best looking if not the best, IMO. People still turn heads to look at them.
My wife’s 2018 Audi SQ 5 is faster if that’s a factor. 0-60 is 5.1 seconds. If you haven’t driven one you might add it to your list. Quality is first class and there is a lot of tech that was ahead of pack last year. Maybe MBUX will be better. Some say they are conservatively styled but with AM wheels she gets a lot of compliments. It’s one of the best driving/Handling Cars I have driven. I would be driving one now if it was a little bigger.
I am adding the Audi to my list of possibles. About the infotainment system in the Jag. Yes, it was pretty abysmal when introduced, but after more than a year of updates, they seem to have worked the bugs out. I tried pretty hard to get it to mess up and it worked well. I have a buddy who got a 2017 and the system was recalled shortly after. Since they did whatever they did in the recall, he's says the system has worked really for him. There's just something about the feeling the F Pace provides that excites me. Doesn't mean it's what I'll end up with. But it made quite an impression on me. Oh and if you look at the specs for the F Pace Sport with the 380 HP V6 it goes zero to sixty in 5.1 seconds too.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 W166 GLE

After telling you be skeptical of your salesperson's info, I checked with mine and he says the 2019 should be released mid to late-September. Given that, I'm guessing Q1 2019 release for the W167 is not going to happen; likely late Q2 at earliest, if not, as I hate to think, Q3. To have a 6 month duration for a model would be highly unusual.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 07-09-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After telling you be skeptical of your salesperson's info, I checked with mine and he says the 2019 should be released mid to late-September. Given that, I'm guessing Q1 2019 release for the W167 is not going to happen; likely late Q2 at earliest, if not, as I hate to think, Q3. To have a 6 month duration for a model would be highly unusual.
I do trust the sales manager at my dealership and he wouldn't have a reason to burst my bubble. He was pretty emphatic that the new GLE won't roll on US streets until later in 2019. That most likely will take the new GLE out of play for me. So, I could buy a year off lease 2018 GLE, but I don't really like buying used cars. I could buy the 2019 GLE, but I have an issue with spending that much on yesterday's tech. Or I can seriously consider a 2019 Jag F Pace Sport. The manager of the Jag dealer just called me and is trying very hard to win my business. He said he'd give me a really good discount on the S, which most dealers won't do and he'd order exactly what I want for a 2019 with no down payment required to order. He said Apple Car Play is actually coming to the Jag in 2019 and he said unlike MB, they will offer a retrofit to all who have the system required for it, which I will have. The Jag will cost less than a 2019 G:E, have the 380 hp zero to sixty in 5.1 seconds engine and all the safety and luxury I could ask for. At the moment, the Jag is sounding pretty good for what I want.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 ML350
Sorry if this is a duplicate -- I thought I had posted it, but can't see it now:

I wanted to order a 2019 GLE400. My sales rep says orders are locked in through Oct (which was far as she could see). She also said " we currently have less than a 30 day supply of GLEs so they are going to have to build us some to get through to next summer!"
That leads me to believe the 2020 will be coming next summer.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by schroedinger
Sorry if this is a duplicate -- I thought I had posted it, but can't see it now:

I wanted to order a 2019 GLE400. My sales rep says orders are locked in through Oct (which was far as she could see). She also said " we currently have less than a 30 day supply of GLEs so they are going to have to build us some to get through to next summer!"
That leads me to believe the 2020 will be coming next summer.
Which for me, means the 2020 GLE is no longer an option.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IIf you haven’t driven one you might add it to your list. Quality is first class and there is a lot of tech that was ahead of pack last year. Maybe MBUX will be better. Some say they are conservatively styled but with AM wheels she gets a lot of compliments. It’s one of the best driving/Handling Cars I have driven. I would be driving one now if it was a little bigger.
My impression is the F-Pace is more GLC size than GLE? That would be too small for my wife's needs - she's a commercial furniture rep and needs to haul samples occasionally.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do all the outside sources have it wrong?
Here’s part of a recent article by Car and Driver-April 2018
Estimated Arrival and Price: The GLE-class will make its debut late this year and go on sale in early 2019. Given the myriad improvements over the current car and the breadth of the one-class-below GLC lineup, an uptick in base price to the mid-$50,000 range wouldn’t be a surprise.
Motor Authority-June 2018
We expect the redesigned model on sale in late 2018 or early next year. It should arrive as a 2019 model.
Expected official announcement is October at the Paris Auto Show.
The Auto Mags usually have an inside contact or two so I’m going to remain optimistic! Typically the Germans stockpile new release vehicles rather than dribble them out. Mercedes just released a teaser sketch of the dash. Would they do that a year in advance of sales? Anythings possible but with new iron hitting soon from competitors they have an incentive to move quickly if possible. There is always the supply chain involved thoug.
Tariffs impact both Gens so that should be a neutral factor!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
It's not going to be a 2019 model. The 2019 model order guide is already out, it's the same as 2018. This is going to be a 2020 model on sale early in 2019.

M
Old 07-09-2018, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 W167 GLE

Do all the outside sources have it wrong?
Here’s part of a recent article by Car and Driver-April 2018
Estimated Arrival and Price: The GLE-class will make its debut late this year and go on sale in early 2019. Given the myriad improvements over the current car and the breadth of the one-class-below GLC lineup, an uptick in base price to the mid-$50,000 range wouldn’t be a surprise.
Motor Authority-June 2018
We expect the redesigned model on sale in late 2018 or early next year. It should arrive as a 2019 model.
Expected official announcement is October at the Paris Auto Show.
The Auto Mags usually have an inside contact or two so I’m going to remain optimistic! Typically the Germans stockpile new release vehicles rather than dribble them out. Mercedes just released a teaser sketch of the dash. Would they do that a year in advance of sales? Anythings possible but with new iron hitting soon from competitors they have an incentive to move quickly if possible. There is always the supply chain involved thoug.
Tariffs impact both Gens so that should be a neutral factor!
Mercedes just went to the no small trouble of installing a new (for GLE) powertrain into the 2019 W166. I was trying to believe the reports as well, but given the 2019 W166 won't start deliveries until September, according to my dealer, I cannot fathom the new one would start deliveries in less than 9 months after that. Perhaps the debut happens late this year and ordering opens up Q2 2019, best case I can see at this point. I would love to be wrong on that! I don't think the car websites and mags have an inside line; often they are making guesses based on the same information we get and based on past history. The W167 is going to be an anomaly in the history of the ML/GLE schedule wise.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 07-09-2018 at 06:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
phoenixone (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Greg,
What I meant by inside line is that they should know some of the Mercedes people. Most of the Auto Magazines are invited to prelaunch demonstrations. They also attend Auto Shows. With all the models and new releases they have multiple contacts and these take place all over the world. Over a period of time they get to know each other. Both sides have an incentive to mingle and get to know each other. In some cases Mercedes and other Brands may want to dribble info to build hype. When or if that applies for the GLE is just me speculating and maybe wanting it to be true. On the other hand I also know that the process is very complex involving a lot of inside and outside factors.

Running a short model year has been done in the past. My Audi SQ5 came out in April so only 6 months on the 17 although they didn’t add anything new but paint.

Last edited by Ron.s; 07-09-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Advance information

Greg,
What I meant by inside line is that they should know some of the Mercedes people. Most of the Auto Magazines are invited to prelaunch demonstrations. They also attend Auto Shows. With all the models and new releases they have multiple contacts and these take place all over the world. Over a period of time they get to know each other. Both sides have an incentive to mingle and get to know each other. In some cases Mercedes and other Brands may want to dribble info to build hype. When or if that applies for the GLE is just me speculating and maybe wanting it to be true. On the other hand I also know that the process is very complex involving a lot of inside and outside factors.

Running a short model year has been done in the past. My Audi SQ5 came out in April so only 6 months on the 17 although they didn’t add anything new but paint.
You are certainly correct about inside relationships perhaps leading to advance information slipping out sometimes. It's hard to know when something is printed whether it's conjecture or based on some kernel of fact in many cases. As far as a short build goes, I would hope for a short 2019 run but the amount of effort that went into swapping in the 2018 E400 engine and transmission is significant and leads me to think it will be around at least most of a full model year.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes just went to the no small trouble of installing a new (for GLE) powertrain into the 2019 W166. I was trying to believe the reports as well, but given the 2019 W166 won't start deliveries until September, according to my dealer, I cannot fathom the new one would start deliveries in less than 9 months after that. Perhaps the debut happens late this year and ordering opens up Q2 2019, best case I can see at this point. I would love to be wrong on that! I don't think the car websites and mags have an inside line; often they are making guesses based on the same information we get and based on past history. The W167 is going to be an anomaly in the history of the ML/GLE schedule wise.
What new powertrain are you talking about for the current GLE?

M
Old 07-09-2018, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Upgraded 2019 W166 GLE400 powertrain

Originally Posted by Germancar1
What new powertrain are you talking about for the current GLE?

M
As noted in previous threads, it is the same engine transmission that is in the 2018 E400, a 3.0L biturbo V-6 with 329hp & 354 lb-ft and 9G-TRONIC transmission. Interestingly, in the 2019 E450 the engine gets upgraded to 362 hp & 369 lb-ft. I assume Mercedes didn't use this engine so as to offer a boost when the W167 comes out with the I-6.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As noted in previous threads, it is the same engine transmission that is in the 2018 E400, a 3.0L biturbo V-6 with 329hp & 354 lb-ft and 9G-TRONIC transmission. Interestingly, in the 2019 E450 the engine gets upgraded to 362 hp & 369 lb-ft. I assume Mercedes didn't use this engine so as to offer a boost when the W167 comes out with the I-6.
There is no new powertrain in the 2019 GLE. They're already using this engine in the current GLE43 models. It's all the same engine just in different states of tune. Different software for the different hp levels. The 3L turbo V6 started out with the ML400 before the facelift/name change to GLE and then again with the GLE 400 then GLE43. There is nothing new about this engine in the GLE/ML.

M
Old 07-10-2018, 06:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I went to look at the F Pace again and couldn’t find any in real Luxury trim. All had the new 4 cyclinder engine and low to mid $50’s price. The dealer didn’t have anything nicer in the pipeline. Apparently they don’t sell many with the bigger engine and prefer that these be special orders. Checked dealer inventory in some other markets and found much the same thing.

This is one ranking that’s a compilation done by US News and World Report.The Audi Q5 was ranked 1st along with the Acura RDX. They didn’t include the performance models like the SQ5 for some reason. F Pace ranked 6th with this brief statement.

Pros

• Sports-car-like handling
  • Comfortably seats five adults
  • Extra-large cargo hold
  • Fuel-efficient optional turbodiesel engine
Cons
  • Minor irritations with the infotainment system
  • Optional turbodiesel engine is sluggish off the line
  • Poor predicted reliability rating
The F Pace I drove at launch had the 380 hp engine and there is no way it was as fast as the SQ5. I can’t put my hands on any instrumented times so that’s just my subjective opinion.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 279 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
This German site has a video of the W167 with no camo:

http://autobild.de/videos/video-merc...-13752837.html
The following users liked this post:
Ron.s (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I went to look at the F Pace again and couldn’t find any in real Luxury trim. All had the new 4 cyclinder engine and low to mid $50’s price. The dealer didn’t have anything nicer in the pipeline. Apparently they don’t sell many with the bigger engine and prefer that these be special orders. Checked dealer inventory in some other markets and found much the same thing.

This is one ranking that’s a compilation done by US News and World Report.The Audi Q5 was ranked 1st along with the Acura RDX. They didn’t include the performance models like the SQ5 for some reason. F Pace ranked 6th with this brief statement.

Pros

• Extra-large cargo hold
Cons
The F Pace I drove at launch had the 380 hp engine and there is no way it was as fast as the SQ5. I can’t put my hands on any instrumented times so that’s just my subjective opinion.
I test drove one last night with the 380hp 5.1 to 60 mph engine. It's not fantasy. It exists and is really really good. Just go out to Jaguarusa.com and pull up the F Pace Sport "S" as that's the one with the 380hp engine. Our dealer mostly has the higher more luxury models on their lot. But it doesn't make a difference as I wouldn't take one off the lot. If I go with the F Pace, I'll order exactly what I want. As to the last bullet saying poor predicted reliability, that is of course a concern. BUT.......I have a buddy who bought a 2017 F Pace and now has over 15K miles on it and it has been absolutely trouble free. They did have an infotainment issue when the car came out, but a recall fixed it. And the car comes standard with a 5 year 60,000 warranty and all scheduled maintenance included at no charge for the full warranty period.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 07-10-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My impression is the F-Pace is more GLC size than GLE? That would be too small for my wife's needs - she's a commercial furniture rep and needs to haul samples occasionally.
You're right. The size is more GLC in size and that's really good for me as I never really needed the size the GLE will be to begin with.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:20 AM

2011 ML350
There is no new powertrain in the 2019 GLE. They're already using this engine in the current GLE43 models. It's all the same engine just in different states of tune. Different software for the different hp levels. The 3L turbo V6 started out with the ML400 before the facelift/name change to GLE and then again with the GLE 400 then GLE43. There is nothing new about this engine in the GLE/ML.

M
What is new is the 9-speed auto. That wasn't offered in the GLE400 when it was around, and has been GLE43 only.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:21 AM

2011 ML350

Pros

• Extra-large cargo hold
Cons
If you look at Car & Driver, they ranked the Porsche Macan over the F-Pace, and in a later test, the GLC43 over the Macan.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 W166 GLE

M
You are correct on that one. The version to be used in the GLE is the exact same tune as in the 2018 E400, however. The 2018 GLE engine is rated at 385 hp & 384 lb-ft. vs. 329/354, so a significant detune with I expect different turbos.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 07-10-2018 at 09:46 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2020 V167 GLE