GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 V167 GLE

Old 11-21-2018, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,166 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Brown Ash trim

Originally Posted by Ron.s
I just checked a 2019 GLC build and they have a color called black Ash....I’m still wondering if the German pic was put on the US DOG in error.
This is from the Autogefuhl San Antonio video - looks like what the DOG is calling Brown Ash and the German site Black. I'd call it a blackish brown (or a brownish black!). Looks really good with the lighter upholstery, not sure if too dark with an otherwise black interior.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-22-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TBD
2nd row seating position

I just watched the excellent and thorough Autogefuhl review to completion. The only two areas of concern that jumped out to me were Thomas’ comments about the second row seating position and the less than precise steering on-center.

Thomas is tall at 6’1” but the angle looked somewhat severe with his knees up to his chest; it reminded me of what you see in a lot of compromised 3rd rows. I wonder how this may compromise comfort especially for long road trips (for my younger children).

Old 11-23-2018, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE issues?

Originally Posted by buddy0329
I just watched the excellent and thorough Autogefuhl review to completion. The only two areas of concern that jumped out to me were Thomas’ comments about the second row seating position and the less than precise steering on-center.
Thomas is tall at 6’1” but the angle looked somewhat severe with his knees up to his chest; it reminded me of what you see in a lot of compromised 3rd rows. I wonder how this may compromise comfort especially for long road trips (for my younger children).

Seating: Thomas appears to have long legs and a shorter torso. This would not appear to be a problem with most people smaller than he, especially not children. There is certainly plenty of knee room to the front row even with the driver's seat back. There is 2 1/2" more legroom than current car, even with the fixed bench, which is what the US gets without the third row option. Autoblog says, "Not only is the GLE-Class interior beautiful, it's vast, particularly in the second row. Even with front occupants in comfortable seating positions, rear seat legroom rivals that of standard wheelbase full-size sedans like the BMW 7 Series or Mercedes' own S-Class. "

Steering: The ML/GLE steering has always been too light and indirect for my taste. It's something you do adapt to over time. Car & Driver says, "On the road, both versions of the new GLE are a joy to drive" and doesn't say anything about the steering. Neither do Motor Trend nor Automobile mention the steering in their short initial driving reviews. "Steering is light yet responsive in most settings, but a bit tighter in Sport and Sport+ modes." - Motor1

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-23-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by buddy0329

Thomas does a great job, he always amazes me how thorough the review and how smooth he goes through everything. I noticed several others were just repeating MB tutorials. Like I’m hungry!
i think the back seats (not 3rd row) will work for a lot of people and the seat back reclined slightly would help with the V angle.
I picked up two other points from him. One-the running boards aren’t much help functionally. They stick out just far enough to get your pant legs dirty when exiting. Two-the E-ABC. He made the comment about getting the regular Air instead. The things I didn’t care for were the requirement that you activate the curve function and the clumsy way you have to go to a menu and then you can adjust each corner height. There will probably be some automatic functions like leveling with a trailer but that’s the only one I saw mentioned. (Other than the primary function of viewing road imperfections and adjusting.) Several mentioned that you still get feedback on RR tracks, cattle guards etc. Personally I’m going to pass on E-ABC but would probably get it on my next car if there are other advantages.
Edit there did appear to be a function to lower it for loading.

Last edited by Ron.s; 11-23-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Seating: Thomas appears to have long legs and a shorter torso. This would not appear to be a problem with most people smaller than he, especially not children. There is certainly plenty of knee room to the front row even with the driver's seat back. There is 2 1/2" more legroom than current car, even with the fixed bench, which is what the US gets without the third row option.

Steering: The ML/GLE steering has always been too light and indirect for my taste. It's something you do adapt to over time. Car & Driver says, "On the road, both versions of the new GLE are a joy to drive" and doesn't say anything about the steering. Neither do Motor Trend nor Automobile mention the steering in their short initial driving reviews.
I was hoping it had variable steering like my Audi. It’s soft around town but firms at highway speeds and more yet in Dynamic mode. If not now it might be made available later with a software change. After driving a truck they all feel soft!
Old 11-23-2018, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-ABC

Two-the E-ABC. He made the comment about getting the regular Air instead. The things I didn’t care for were the requirement that you activate the curve function and the clumsy way you have to go to a menu and then you can adjust each corner height. There will probably be some automatic functions like leveling with a trailer but that’s the only one I saw mentioned. (Other than the primary function of viewing road imperfections and adjusting.) Several mentioned that you still get feedback on RR tracks, cattle guards etc. Personally I’m going to pass on E-ABC but would probably get it on my next car if there are other advantages.

Regarding E-ABC, the ability to adjust each wheel individually is something most of us would probably never use. You don't have to use the Curve function, but I think it will be cool on twisty roads. Here are a few comments from the media so far:
  • "Especially when equipped with the E-Active system, the GLE is confident and firm while also offering a silky-smooth ride over all kinds of road surfaces. If you don’t want to spend the money on the electronics, the air suspension is also smooth and offers the ability to raise and lower the GLE. For those who have an eye on the bottom line, the basic suspension is perfectly good. You’ll never feel like you put yourself in a penalty box if you go with the base GLE." - Digital Trends
  • "...it sends this information to the hydropneumatics, which then iron out the street pain as if the ground were a fluffy carpet. The result is a comfort that we have never experienced in an SUV. Nevertheless, the driver always keeps the feeling for the road and believes he has a much lighter car under his rear." - Autobild
  • "The amount of lean can be controlled within three different settings, with the most extreme providing sportscar levels of cornering speed and a level of purchase more akin to a well sorted sporting estate than a high riding luxury SUV. You can confidently place it and maintain a brisk pace over winding back roads without any untoward tyre squealing drama or premature interruption from the stability control system, which only activates when it really needs to rather than well in advance of any given situation like that of old GLEs. ... The primary ride is also a strength. Pockmarked sections of bitumen and undulations are dealt with in a wonderfully controlled manner at cruising speed out on the open road, while potholes and the like are nicely ironed out at lower speeds around town. " - Autocar
  • "With EABC, Mercedes has achieved complete, real-time control of each damper and negated the need for anti-roll bars, just like Super Series McLarens. The results are shocking and wonderful, in terms of both ride quality and handling. " - Motor Trend
  • "The GLE 450's E-Body Control hydraulically-assisted air suspension is a noticeable improvement over the regular air suspension, but it's not as dramatic a difference as between the engines. Our preferred driving mode in the GLE 450 is Comfort. ...The GLE 450's best mode for comfort on twisty roads is the Curve mode, which leans the car into the direction of a corner. As a result, occupants stay upright, instead of being pushed to one side of the car. It's a subtle difference, but not having to fight physics while sitting in your seat is nice. That being said, people have been comfortably coping with being gently pushed from side-to-side for years, so you won't miss it if you don't have it. " - Autoblog
I'm going to get it.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-23-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Regarding E-ABC, the ability to adjust each wheel individually is something most of us would probably never use. You don't have to use the Curve function, but I think it will be cool on twisty roads. Here are a few comments from the media so far:
  • "Especially when equipped with the E-Active system, the GLE is confident and firm while also offering a silky-smooth ride over all kinds of road surfaces. If you don’t want to spend the money on the electronics, the air suspension is also smooth and offers the ability to raise and lower the GLE. For those who have an eye on the bottom line, the basic suspension is perfectly good. You’ll never feel like you put yourself in a penalty box if you go with the base GLE." - Digital Trends
  • "...it sends this information to the hydropneumatics, which then iron out the street pain as if the ground were a fluffy carpet. The result is a comfort that we have never experienced in an SUV. Nevertheless, the driver always keeps the feeling for the road and believes he has a much lighter car under his rear." - Autobild
  • "The amount of lean can be controlled within three different settings, with the most extreme providing sportscar levels of cornering speed and a level of purchase more akin to a well sorted sporting estate than a high riding luxury SUV. You can confidently place it and maintain a brisk pace over winding back roads without any untoward tyre squealing drama or premature interruption from the stability control system, which only actives when it really needs to rather than well in advance of any given situation like that of old GLEs. ... The primary ride is also a strength. Pockmarked sections of bitumen and undulations are dealt with in a wonderfully controlled manner at cruising speed out on the open road, while potholes and the like are nicely ironed out at lower speeds around town. " - Autocar
  • "With EABC, Mercedes has achieved complete, real-time control of each damper and negated the need for anti-roll bars, just like Super Series McLarens. The results are shocking and wonderful, in terms of both ride quality and handling. " - Motor Trend
I'm going to get it.
Dang Greg....I keep talking myself out of it but like my wife said I'll be sorry if I don't get it and end up selling sooner. Maybe it will save me money to add it back, ha ha.
The problem with a lot of magazine reviews is that they get advertising dollars from the Mfct. so don't come on strong about any defects or things they don't like. They just can't be totally objective. Even Thomas who is more independent is coy with his comments. That said, it's easy to pick up on most important facets by watching these reviews.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Saw this in one of the review videos. Looks like the 3rd row is sufficient for average adults to sit in occasionally. I'd imagine if they move the 2nd row forward a couple of inches, that would make the 3rd row even more comfortable for adults.
I was leaning towards a GLS, but after seeing this review, I think GLE with the 3rd row may suit my needs. (occasional need to haul adults in 3rd row).

3rd Row
Old 11-23-2018, 05:11 PM

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Regarding the running boards, I will take the minor nuisance of trying to avoid getting my pants dirty for the two advantages it does provide me with:

1) My kids, aged 2.5y and 5y, use them everytime for ingress and egress. Their short legs just wouldn't make it otherwise.
2) Accessing the rooftop for snow removal/washing the car is greatly facilitated. For cleaning/clearing the rear of the vehicle, I step on a (mostly) horizontal wheel spoke.

I am still on the fence between the regular black plastic clad versus the AMG-Line exteriors, especially if I am taking the side steps. I like the body-colour wheel arches and vented rear fascia, but I am not a fan of the single bar grille. Considering I want Emerald Green paint, I think it will look better with the AMG-Line exterior overall.

I'm curious whether the wood steering wheel is heated or not. Most likely not, so I will forego it.

A preliminary Canadian Build Sheet I would option out would resemble:
GLE450 4Matic
-989 Emerald Green metallic paint
-205 Machiatto Beige/ Magma Grey upholstery
-H22 Brown Open-pore Walnut wood
-55U Machiatto Beige headliner
MPP Premium Package
-413 Panoramic sunroof
-810 Burmester surround sound
-871 Foot activated tailgate
-872 Heated rear seats
-889 Keyless-Go
-902 Enhanced heated front seats
-906 Heated armrests front
-U09 Artico dash
-U19 Augmented reality Nav
MTP Technology Package
-463 Head-up display
-501 360° camera
-608 Adaptive highbeam assist
-640 Active multi-beam LED lights
MSP Sport Package
-772 AMG Styling pkg
-RZV 20" AMG 5-Twin spoke wheels - Bicolour
Optional Equipment
-297 Roller blinds for rear side windows
-311 Climate controlled cupholders
-489 Airmatic air suspension
-581 Thermotronic 4-zone automatic climate control
-846 Aluminum running boards
Old 11-23-2018, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Options

Originally Posted by tiri
I am still on the fence between the regular black plastic clad versus the AMG-Line exteriors, especially if I am taking the side steps. I like the body-colour wheel arches and vented rear fascia, but I am not a fan of the single bar grille. Considering I want Emerald Green paint, I think it will look better with the AMG-Line exterior overall.
To me, the AMG Line Exterior is much nicer, not only the painted wheel arches, but the studded grille and bottom intakes in front look better - but taste is personal. You also get larger brakes & sport exhaust in the US package - not sure about Canada.
I'm curious whether the wood steering wheel is heated or not. Most likely not, so I will forego it.
The heated steering wheel (443) is only one design, not with the wood wheel. Edit: See post #1187.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-23-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 coupe
Those are nice! Beautiful car, infinite95. Is that a wrap or custom paint?
Mercedes OEM designo selenite matte gray.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 279 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
The heated steering wheel (443) is only one design, not with the wood wheel.
Greg, I ordered the wood steering wheel with the "Heated" functionality. I know that combo wasn't possible in the past (I tried) but is available on the GLE. At least my dealer was able to select both on my build.
The following users liked this post:
tiri (11-26-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Heated steering wheel

Originally Posted by JoeMa
Greg, I ordered the wood steering wheel with the "Heated" functionality. I know that combo wasn't possible in the past (I tried) but is available on the GLE. At least my dealer was able to select both on my build.
Okay, good to know - must be just the leather portions on each side. Wish the Sport wheel had that option.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do the wheels make the truck or what? I'd love to order those babies if I could.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wheels

Do the wheels make the truck or what? I'd love to order those babies if I could.
Those are the nicest! I'm liking the AMG 21s though when you see them at an angle.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree, the best looking wheels we can order in the US along with the AMG Line Exterior package. I switched to the 21" w/ Black Accents (show in your bottom pic). I will still long for those 22" AMG's. Sucks that we can't select 21” AMG Multispoke Wheels w/ Black Accents on the German Konfigurator.

Last edited by JoeMa; 11-23-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I’m placing my order tomorrow morning. There are 3 Tbt’s that are estimates...here it is: I can almost guarantee that the GLE 53 will be announced the day my order locks.
CODE DESCRIPTION
GLE450 Base w/ destination tbd $58,000
799 Designo White Diamond $1,515
204 Espresso Brown/ Magmagrey $1,620
H20 Brown Walnut $160
Black headliner $0
PACKAGES
DP1PKG Premium $1,800
DA2PKG Drivers Assistance Plus $2,250
DA3PKG Parking Assistance $800
DA4PKG Advanced Lighting $900
DG1PKG AMG Line Exterior $2,900
DA0PKG MBUX Technology tbd $1,500
DC9 E-ABC $8,100
STAND-ALONE OPTIONS
399 Active Multicontour Seat/Massage $1,100
401 Heated & Ventilated Front Seats $570
413 Panorama Sliding Sunroof $1,000
443 Heated Steering Wheel $250
550 Trailer Hitch $575
U09 MB-Tex Dashboard & Door Beltlines $450
P64 Passenger Seat Memory $365
WHEELS
RZV "20"" AMG Twin 5-Spoke" Inc DG1 Pk $0

DEALER INSTALLED OPTIONS
D26 Load Sill Protector tbd $150
MSRP $84,005
Old 11-24-2018, 06:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I’m placing my order tomorrow morning. There are 3 Tbt’s that are estimates...here it is: I can almost guarantee that the GLE 53 will be announced the day my order locks.
CODE DESCRIPTION
GLE450 Base w/ destination tbd $58,000
799 Designo White Diamond $1,515
204 Espresso Brown/ Magmagrey $1,620
H20 Brown Walnut $160
Black headliner $0
PACKAGES
DP1PKG Premium $1,800
DA2PKG Drivers Assistance Plus $2,250
DA3PKG Parking Assistance $800
DA4PKG Advanced Lighting $900
DG1PKG AMG Line Exterior $2,900
DA0PKG MBUX Technology tbd $1,500
DC9 E-ABC $8,100
STAND-ALONE OPTIONS
399 Active Multicontour Seat/Massage $1,100
401 Heated & Ventilated Front Seats $570
413 Panorama Sliding Sunroof $1,000
443 Heated Steering Wheel $250
550 Trailer Hitch $575
U09 MB-Tex Dashboard & Door Beltlines $450
P64 Passenger Seat Memory $365
WHEELS
RZV "20"" AMG Twin 5-Spoke" Inc DG1 Pk $0

DEALER INSTALLED OPTIONS
D26 Load Sill Protector tbd $150
MSRP $84,005
That will be a beautiful looking GLE. And I know exactly what you mean about the AMG 53 dropping as soon as we take delivery. LOL

I keep going back and forth on the Night package. It looks good with and without it but my current GLS has the Night package and it really looks good with designo Diamond White. So as of today I'm ordering the Night package and the 21" Multi-spoke wheels w/ Black Accents. I also wanted the Burmester 3D sound system but you have give up the MBUX Technology package to get it and I want the Head-Up display more. Several of the review videos being posted show the Burmester 3D system along with Head-Up but I checked with my dealer and Head-Up cannot be order as a stand-alone option so no Burmester 3D for me this time.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That will be a beautiful looking GLE. And I know exactly what you mean about the AMG 53 dropping as soon as we take delivery. LOL

I keep going back and forth on the Night package. It looks good with and without it but my current GLS has the Night package and it really looks good with designo Diamond White. So as of today I'm ordering the Night package and the 21" Multi-spoke wheels w/ Black Accents. I also wanted the Burmester 3D sound system but you have give up the MBUX Technology package to get it and I want the Head-Up display more. Several of the review videos being posted show the Burmester 3D system along with Head-Up but I checked with my dealer and Head-Up cannot be order as a stand-alone option so no Burmester 3D for me this time.
Mercedes seemed to build the test fleet ignoring a lot of the DOG limitations we get. I like the night package but won’t the high gloss black get swirl marks?
Old 11-24-2018, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Gestation

Designers love those steamroller wheels!

Old 11-24-2018, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Order placed now but there was a constraint on the Walnut trim so I switched back to Metal Weave that I started with. Also had to add variable heated seats that didn’t show in the DOG. Soft close doors are an option too but I didn’t see them in the DOG.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Options

Order placed now but there was a constraint on the Walnut trim so I switched back to Metal Weave that I started with. Also had to add variable heated seats that didn’t show in the DOG. Soft close doors are an option too but I didn’t see them in the DOG.
By constraint do you mean delayed availability? Hopefully the next version of the DOG (which I think should be out next week coinciding with the US debut at the LA Auto Show) will make these additions & adjustments.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hopefully the next version of the DOG (which I think should be out next week coinciding with the US debut at the LA Auto Show) will make these additions & adjustments.
Hopefully Mercedes loosens a few ordering restrictions, here are some changes that would be welcomed:
  • Make 463–Head-Up Display a stand-alone option
  • Offer the 22" AMG Wheels if the AMG Exterior Line package is selected
  • Offer the AMG Sport Steering Wheel (L5C) with any leather interior, not just black interiors
If 463 was a stand-alone option I could order the 811–Burmester® High-End 3D Surround Sound System which I would gladly do but not at the expense of losing the Head-Up Display.

Any items you would like to see adjusted in the DOG?

Last edited by JoeMa; 11-25-2018 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Removed U19 from bullet list
Old 11-24-2018, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

By constraint do you mean delayed availability? Hopefully the next version of the DOG (which I think should be out next week coinciding with the US debut at the LA Auto Show) will make these additions & adjustments.
With my order there were only 3 trim options that could be selected. All DOG listed trims show but can’t all be selected as the dealer inputs an order. I should have made a note of the three but when I saw the Carbon Fiber was one I took it. I assume it was a temporary constraint since it remains an option...just not available today.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TBD
Hopefully Mercedes loosens a few ordering restrictions, here are some changes that would be welcomed:
  • Make 463–Head-Up Display a stand-alone option
  • Make U19–MBUX Augmented Video for Navigation a stand-alone option
  • Offer the 22" AMG Wheels if the AMG Exterior Line package is selected
  • Offer the AMG Sport Steering Wheel (L5C) with any leather interior, not just black interiors

The first two would allow me to order the 811–Burmester® High-End 3D Surround Sound System which I would gladly do but not at the expense of losing the Head-Up Display and Augmented Video.

Any items you would like to see adjusted in the DOG?
Joe,

I see U19 as a stand-alone option on page 40 of the DOG. Was your dealer not able to order it that way?

I'm actually tempted to remove the DA0PKG (MBTUX PKG) from my order. I originally wanted it for the HUD but not sure about the merits of spending $1500 on it. There are a couple of "luxuries" like that I'm debating the merits of their inclusion, such as the heated & cooled cup holders and the panoramic sunroof.

Last edited by buddy0329; 11-24-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2020 V167 GLE