2020 V167 GLE

Old 11-24-2018, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,166 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Option conundrum

Originally Posted by buddy0329
Joe,

I see U19 as a stand-alone option on page 40 of the DOG. Was your dealer not able to order it that way?
Joe is the one that raised that back in post #1104. I think his point is he doesn't want to give up the Head-Up Display, so right now he has the whole Technology Package included, which does not allow the High End audio.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TBD
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Joe is the one that raised that back in post #1104. I think his point is he doesn't want to give up the Head-Up Display, so right now he has the whole Technology Package included, which does not allow the High End audio.
Well, he didn't ask for the HUD display to be a stand-alone option which would make more sense. He specifically referenced U19 instead which per the DOG is already available as a stand-alone option.

Last edited by buddy0329; 11-24-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:55 PM

TBD
Wheel / Tire strategies

I'm still debating whether to get the 20" or 21" wheels. Looking for thoughts and insight form others?

I've always had separate wheels with season specific summer / winter tire combos for my Audi sedans. Assuming I do the same here, I'm debating wheel strategy: whether to wear 20's year round, 21s in the summer and 20's in the winter or 20's summer and 19's winter.

I'm still trying to rationalize the benefits of staggered 21's on this car, is it just aesthetics? On a RWD car, the benefits of a staggered setup would be to help put power down in the rear and to help induce some level of under-steer. On an AWD SUV why have staggered wheels? The 21's would account for a lot of un-sprung weight. I know when I swap out of the 19's for 18's in the winter my S4 feels more spry as a result.

That said, I'll admit the new Porsche Cayenne looks amazing with a staggered 21" setup, not bad with 20's, and plain Jane homely looking wearing 19's. I drove a 2019 Cayenne base this morning, and I'll admit I was smitten with its handling dynamics and steering precision.

Last edited by buddy0329; 11-24-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:53 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by ShrimpKing
Dose any one have issue with white leather seat, like seat get blue from jeans, easy to notice scratches or dirt?
thinking get 204A with H18. But from many videos, the white color leather with H35 ash wood trims looks great.
Originally Posted by Ron.s

Can’t speak to white but I’ve had two with tan leather that got blue from jeans and showed some dirt. In both cases they were fairly easy to clean but over time started looking a little off color. A good leather cleaner and treatment help. Some jeans seem to be better than others but it’s hard to determine by looking. Since the side bolsters aren’t white it might not be that much of an issue. The outside bolster that you slide over seemed to be where mine stained.
Originally Posted by JoeMa
I agree with Ron. I've owned two GL/GLS's with tan interiors and both became discolored due to jeans. I really like the look of the new Macchiato interior but it will show the dirt and your blue jeans will rub off. If you can live with those issues, go for it.
Just to add another data point, our last GLE had the Ginger Beige MB-Tex seats and they also added the interior/exterior protection pkg (Simoniz?) just after delivery. I regularly used the cleaner provided with the kit as well as Lexol cleaner and conditioner in the orange and brown bottles. All to no avail. The dye from our jeans still really got into the seats. Also, with such frequent cleaning, the outer layer of the MB-Tex material started to wear off as well. Hence why we got the full Espresso brown on our "new" GLS. Just something to take into consideration if opting for light colored seats.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm still debating whether to get the 20" or 21" wheels. Looking for thoughts and insight form others?

I've always had separate wheels with season specific summer / winter tire combos for my Audi sedans. Assuming I do the same here, I'm debating wheel strategy: whether to wear 20's year round, 21s in the summer and 20's in the winter or 20's summer and 19's winter.

I'm still trying to rationalize the benefits of staggered 21's on this car, is it just aesthetics? On a RWD car, the benefits of a staggered setup would be to help put power down in the rear and to help induce some level of under-steer. On an AWD SUV why have staggered wheels? The 21's would account for a lot of un-sprung weight. I know when I swap out of the 19's for 18's in the winter my S4 feels more spry as a result.

That said, I'll admit the new Porsche Cayenne looks amazing with a staggered 21" setup, not bad with 20's, and plain Jane homely looking wearing 19's. I drove a 2019 Cayenne base this morning, and I'll admit I was smitten with its handling dynamics and steering precision.
It’s got to be aesthetics. As you say, no performance advantage here and higher unsprung weight is not good. 20s look good on my W166 but I think this larger one benefits from the larger wheels. It’s not a performance vehicle like my M so I can rationalize the trade off.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I hope the early DOG on wheels has errors. After taking another look at tha specs I noticed that most of the wheel offsets are staggered. The 19’s aren’t staggered but has 8” wheels. I’m going to do some calculations but there doesn’t seem to be a clear correlation. There may be a clearance issue in the front. Bottom line is the AMG pkg 20’s have the same sized tires but staggered wheels so rotation will require switching each tire vs just switching wheels around. I won’t be buying any wheels until I get mine to check clearances.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 279 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Well, he didn't ask for the HUD display to be a stand-alone option which would make more sense. He specifically referenced U19 instead which per the DOG is already available as a stand-alone option.
Greg is correct. I did ask my dealer if he could select Head-Up Display as a stand-alone option but that is not available (at this time).
Old 11-24-2018, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wheel specs

I hope the early DOG on wheels has errors. After taking another look at tha specs I noticed that most of the wheel offsets are staggered. The 19’s aren’t staggered but has 8” wheels. I’m going to do some calculations but there doesn’t seem to be a clear correlation. There may be a clearance issue in the front. Bottom line is the AMG pkg 20’s have the same sized tires but staggered wheels so rotation will require switching each tire vs just switching wheels around. I won’t be buying any wheels until I get mine to check clearances.
I would expect those numbers to be accurate, but you never know. As you say, with the staggered tire sizes the wheel offset difference of 5-13 mm would work to make up the 30 mm tire width difference to keep he outsides more flush, but it's not clear why there is 13 mm difference with the ones that are 275s F&R. I doubt it's too critical, but you would want to keep the rears in the rear. Rotating is overrated on these AWD vehicles, IMO - mine seem to wear pretty evenly without it.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would expect those numbers to be accurate, but you never know. As you say, with the staggered tire sizes the wheel offset difference of 5-13 mm would work to make up the 30 mm tire width difference to keep he outsides more flush, but it's not clear why there is 13 mm difference with the ones that are 275s F&R. I doubt it's too critical, but you would want to keep the rears in the rear. Rotating is overrated on these AWD vehicles, IMO - mine seem to wear pretty evenly without it.
The wheels and the tires are the same size on the AMG option 20’s so there is nothing to make up? If the hubs are the same width (I think they are) then the higher offset in front would actually make the front track wider by the the 13mm, about 1/2”. I think...but it’s late and my IQ is below par!
Old 11-24-2018, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The wheels and the tires are the same size on the AMG option 20’s so there is nothing to make up? If the hubs are the same width (I think they are) then the higher offset in front would actually make the front track wider by the the 13mm, about 1/2”. I think...but it’s late and my IQ is below par!
My point, exactly.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My point, exactly.
But then we have to ask ourselves-why have the different offset on these wheels but not on the 19”s? Visually a 1/4” on the inside/outside would be hard to detect. It has to cost more. The only thing I can think of is an inside clearance issue. I doubt they would do it to mess up aftermarket options.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wheel offset quandry

But then we have to ask ourselves-why have the different offset on these wheels but not on the 19”s? Visually a 1/4” on the inside/outside would be hard to detect. It has to cost more. The only thing I can think of is an inside clearance issue. I doubt they would do it to mess up aftermarket options.
There is no obvious answer. Guess we wait and see if these values are confirmed in the next DOG or the owner's manual. All wheels for the W166 from 18-20" had the same F&R offset.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-24-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 279 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
I see U19 as a stand-alone option on page 40 of the DOG.
You are correct about U19. I updated my earlier post. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
E 63 S Wagon
Well I’m placing my order tomorrow morning. There are 3 Tbt’s that are estimates...here it is: I can almost guarantee that the GLE 53 will be announced the day my order locks.
CODE DESCRIPTION
GLE450 Base w/ destination tbd $58,000
799 Designo White Diamond $1,515
204 Espresso Brown/ Magmagrey $1,620
H20 Brown Walnut $160
Black headliner $0
PACKAGES
DP1PKG Premium $1,800
DA2PKG Drivers Assistance Plus $2,250
DA3PKG Parking Assistance $800
DA4PKG Advanced Lighting $900
DG1PKG AMG Line Exterior $2,900
DA0PKG MBUX Technology tbd $1,500
DC9 E-ABC $8,100
STAND-ALONE OPTIONS
399 Active Multicontour Seat/Massage $1,100
401 Heated & Ventilated Front Seats $570
413 Panorama Sliding Sunroof $1,000
443 Heated Steering Wheel $250
550 Trailer Hitch $575
U09 MB-Tex Dashboard & Door Beltlines $450
P64 Passenger Seat Memory $365
WHEELS
RZV "20"" AMG Twin 5-Spoke" Inc DG1 Pk $0

DEALER INSTALLED OPTIONS
D26 Load Sill Protector tbd $150
MSRP $84,005
Originally Posted by JoeMa
That will be a beautiful looking GLE. And I know exactly what you mean about the AMG 53 dropping as soon as we take delivery. LOL

I keep going back and forth on the Night package. It looks good with and without it but my current GLS has the Night package and it really looks good with designo Diamond White. So as of today I'm ordering the Night package and the 21" Multi-spoke wheels w/ Black Accents. I also wanted the Burmester 3D sound system but you have give up the MBUX Technology package to get it and I want the Head-Up display more. Several of the review videos being posted show the Burmester 3D system along with Head-Up but I checked with my dealer and Head-Up cannot be order as a stand-alone option so no Burmester 3D for me this time.
Heh. Made my way here to see if anyone had read/heard anything about AMG models. I guess not (yet)! Is the assumption that there will be a 53 and 63?
Old 11-25-2018, 10:32 AM

TBD
Steel springs versus Airmatic suspension

Sorry in advance for rekindling this topic. My salesperson has not been a good resource on this topic to me, he has told me that Airmatic would only be useful to me if I wanted to go offroad which I know is not the case since MB offers Airmatic suspensions throughout their vehicle range.

My personal preference would be to have very sharp handling akin to Cayenne / Q7 / X5. I know Cayenne level performance would likely not be comfortable for my wife, but at the same time I want to avoid a wallowing suspension. She did enjoy the suspension feel during our test drive of the Q7. So we're looking for a nice middle ground with sporting ability / pretensions.

For one data point, Zach Spencer (who owns a Porsche Cayenne & Audi A7) conducted the Motormouth Youtube review stated that he "does not love air suspensions" and that "even in the sportiest settings was too soft". In the comments of his Youtube channel of his GLE450 review he has stated that his preference is Cayenne.

For another data point, the presenter in the WhatCar review stated that the standard steel suspension "isn't particularly brilliant", "it feels is a bit unsettled at all speeds", and you can feel the car moving around quite noticeably....feels jittery. For the Airmatic he states that "the ride is much better, wafts along more nicely feels more planted, still a bit of body movement but it is smooth, well controlled, and fairly impressive".

Are all of the regulars on this thread choosing Airmatic or E-ABC? Anyone choosing steel? I plan to buy not lease and if we love the car would plan to hold on to it for 5 years, maybe longer. In the back of my mind I wonder if I should reconfigure my prder to make the E-ABC possible but still unsure of it.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E63guy
Heh. Made my way here to see if anyone had read/heard anything about AMG models. I guess not (yet)! Is the assumption that there will be a 53 and 63?
I think your assumption is correct, but we don’t have a timeline yet. The 53 appears ready to go, so I'm guessing in the next few months; they probably want to get the production humming before adding another variant. The 63 is likely out beyond that, but maybe by next Summer. Perhaps something will come out with the official US debut at the LA show end of this week.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-25-2018 at 11:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
E63guy (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Sorry in advance for rekindling this topic. My salesperson has not been a good resource on this topic to me, he has told me that Airmatic would only be useful to me if I wanted to go offroad which I know is not the case since MB offers Airmatic suspensions throughout their vehicle range.

My personal preference would be to have very sharp handling akin to Cayenne / Q7 / X5. I know Cayenne level performance would likely not be comfortable for my wife, but at the same time I want to avoid a wallowing suspension. She did enjoy the suspension feel during our test drive of the Q7. So we're looking for a nice middle ground with sporting ability / pretensions.

For one data point, Zach Spencer (who owns a Porsche Cayenne & Audi A7) conducted the Motormouth Youtube review stated that he "does not love air suspensions" and that "even in the sportiest settings was too soft". In the comments of his Youtube channel of his GLE450 review he has stated that his preference is Cayenne.

For another data point, the presenter in the WhatCar review stated that the standard steel suspension "isn't particularly brilliant", "it feels is a bit unsettled at all speeds", and you can feel the car moving around quite noticeably....feels jittery. For the Airmatic he states that "the ride is much better, wafts along more nicely feels more planted, still a bit of body movement but it is smooth, well controlled, and fairly impressive".

Are all of the regulars on this thread choosing Airmatic or E-ABC? Anyone choosing steel? I plan to buy not lease and if we love the car would plan to hold on to it for 5 years, maybe longer. In the back of my mind I wonder if I should reconfigure my prder to make the E-ABC possible but still unsure of it.
Your salesperson is not correct that AIRMATIC is only good for offroading. If any of them would be best at offroading it would be the E-ABC. Even then, with the curve option and other attributes, the E-ABC seems to be great for everyday driving.

As per who is going with what, it seems to be a mixed bag. Some want it, others are bit put off the by the extra cost and also by it being a new technology and possible maintenance costs down the road. I'm in the latter group.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aimatic or what?

As I've said before, my current '12 ML has Airmatic and doesn't "wallow," but it also has the Dynamic Handling Package with Active Curve (hydraulic front roll bar) which does sharpen handling. In Sport setting it is really too stiff for everyday driving but perfect for the twisties. I've never driven one with the steel spring suspension.

Some other comments on suspension (like with all reviews, you get opposing statements you need to decipher):
  • "The first GLE 350 we sampled had good ol’ steel springs, which provide a nice balance: The ride is firmer than we expected (a nod, we assume, to BMW drivers who find traditional Mercedes SUVs too softly sprung) but nowhere near punishing. Grip was impressive and likely aided by the wider tires fitted to our test cars. In the curves, the steel-sprung GLE 350 we drove felt more responsive and eager than Mercedes SUVs of yore, though calling it fun-to-drive might be stretching the truth." - Automobile
  • "If you don’t want to spend the money on the electronics, the air suspension (Airmatic) is also smooth and offers the ability to raise and lower the GLE. " - C&D;
  • "Next, we drove a GLE 450 with the Airmatic suspension, which reminded us of why we’re so fond of air springs. The ride is glass-smooth with excellent body control in the curves. It’s the perfect setup that should please enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike." - Automobile
  • "The GLE 350 with its conventional air suspension (Airmatic) is clearly tuned for softness and comfort. In the default comfort mode, the GLE 350 is a bit floaty. Big highway bumps triggered long-lasting vertical motions that could bother those with sensitive stomachs. But the squishy tuning did completely erase smaller bumps. Switching to Sport modes firmed things up, eliminating the floatiness while still keeping things comfortable over small bumps. That's our preferred setting." - Autoblog
  • "...even the conventional air suspension (Airmatic) is exceptionally well controlled. Flicking an air-suspension GLE into Sport mode firms up the ride, though we’ll have to wait for the inevitable AMG-tweaked variants before any GLE is truly entertaining." - Motor Authority
It might be good for you to take a test drive in an '18 or '19 with Airmatic. While there may be slight improvements in the 2020 due to stiffer body, etc., it should give you a basic feel for it. Me, I'm going for E-ABC, though I have concerns about long term reliability.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-25-2018 at 11:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
buddy0329 (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 11:32 AM

TBD
Greg,

Thank you once again for an excellent synopsis of the major review comments. I have not been able to locate locally a 2018 or 2019 GLE with Airmatic but I did drive the GLS 450; local dealer stated less than 10% of GLEs come equipped with the option. Unfortunately the 2020 DOG does not list a Dynamic handling package as being available.

I did find the the current GLE (350 & 400) with standard steel springs to be a bit "busy" and less planted than I would like.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by turko
Your salesperson is not correct that AIRMATIC is only good for offroading. If any of them would be best at offroading it would be the E-ABC. Even then, with the curve option and other attributes, the E-ABC seems to be great for everyday driving.

As per who is going with what, it seems to be a mixed bag. Some want it, others are bit put off the by the extra cost and also by it being a new technology and possible maintenance costs down the road. I'm in the latter group.
I’ve been back and forth on E-ABC. I hate to spend the money but would not be happy if it was something I wish I had added after not getting it. There may be another downside. After doing some calculations on wheel offset and the staggered offset on the AMG 20’s I’m starting to think that the 5” of travel is making the inside tolerances tighter up front. It only makes sense that the wheels that steer have a chance of rubbing when they have so much up and down as well as lateral movement. That’s the only reason I can see to push the wheels out 1/2” in front. According to the specs the front and rears are the same width at the hub so the front will be about 1” wider with the AMG 20’s. Previously I said 1/4” a side but it’s really 1/2” more offset or 1” total.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As I was looking for specs on the 2018 GLE wheels I noticed that the 5 spoke wheels aren’t included in the AMG package. They were priced at $2900 and required the AMG package.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG Exterior Line package and wheel cost

As I was looking for specs on the 2018 GLE wheels I noticed that the 5 spoke wheels aren’t included in the AMG package. They were priced at $2900 and required the AMG package.
If you build a 2019 GLE 400 on the MBUSA website, you will see the $2,900 AMG exterior package includes the 20" AMG wheels. It's really a darn good deal as far as the packages go. The German Configurator for the 2020 is the same.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Greg,

Great....one less cost overrun! Where can I find specs on the prior Gen wheels. Just wondering if they had the same offsets as the 2020?
Old 11-25-2018, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wheel specs

Great....one less cost overrun! Where can I find specs on the prior Gen wheels. Just wondering if they had the same offsets as the 2020?
Here are specs from the 2013 ML 350 & ML 63. I have never seen staggered widths or offsets on the ML.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Twitter post

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2020 V167 GLE